RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should try getting more sleep tonight. You'll study and work more efficiently and effectively if you aren't exhausted!
You're right haha. I've been exisiting exclusively off caffiene today. like it doesnt even really affect me anymore....oops. Going to try to finish out a couple more practice problems and get to bed by 10 (hopefully)

Members don't see this ad.

You're right haha. I've been exisiting exclusively off caffiene today. like it doesnt even really affect me anymore....oops. Going to try to finish out a couple more practice problems and get to bed by 10 (hopefully)
This is the worst :laugh: I've been known to finish off a can of Monster or several cups of coffee and start dozing within an hour

This is the worst :laugh: I've been known to finish off a can of Monster or several cups of coffee and start dozing within an hour
Yeah I think I had 6 shots of espresso yesterday. And update, I did go to bed at 10, and slept for 11 hours. What!?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my best friends and I were gonna go to the symposium this spring.... but now she is bailing because she doesn't want to go because she doesn't think it's in a "fun" location and since it's over spring break she doesn't want to spend spring break in a boring place.

It's cool, not like we made plans together or anything...

The stress of my life right now ...
  • Moving across the country in January (California -> Georgia) with 3 dogs and 2 cats
  • House is going on the market this week
  • Termite inspection yesterday yielded no termites (yay!) but we have to replace 26 wood pieces on the lattice covering our patio due to wood rot (ugh)
  • Applied to return to school full time as a post-bacc student to the university nearby (hallelujah no more crashing classes, suck it California!). Well my application has been sitting in 'pending articulation' for 2 months which should only take 10 business days prior to an official decision according to their website. Called the admissions office and they misplaced my crap. How the hell does that happen?!?!
  • And we still need to buy a house in Georgia and have absolutely no idea where we'll live if there's time between houses (if = when if I'm honest with myself)
Thanks for the vent space SDN +pity+

Where in georgia are you moving if you dont mind?? I just moved here this semester from a different state! (although that state was Florida, so it's not exactly the same...)

The stress of my life right now ...
  • Moving across the country in January (California -> Georgia) with 3 dogs and 2 cats

When your cousin posts something about Sea World needing to release a specific whale, and the attached video clip is actually showing stills of multiple different whales in medical tanks stating that these tanks are their full-time habitats. Said clip also said the whale needs to return to her birth family (all of which are now dead...). Why is it so hard for some people to Google?

Also, I'm pretty sure my sisters are working overtime to make sure the next family reunion is awkward for everyone. They are rabidly attacking anyone who shares an opinion they disagree with, and my little sister is going as far as tagging her very aggressive friends in these arguments, who take everything to an entirely different level with threats and name calling. I'm about to just unfollow everyone on my FB so I don't have to scroll past anythin and I just get strangely perfect ads and various holiday sales.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand why it is perfectly acceptable to only do 8/10 days of a rotation due to a holiday but it is not acceptable to only do 8/10 days of a rotation due to needing to do interviews for residency programs. The logic does not compute, and makes me want to bash my head into a wall.

When your cousin posts something about Sea World needing to release a specific whale, and the attached video clip is actually showing stills of multiple different whales in medical tanks stating that these tanks are their full-time habitats. Said clip also said the whale needs to return to her birth family (all of which are now dead...). Why is it so hard for some people to Google?

Also, I'm pretty sure my sisters are working overtime to make sure the next family reunion is awkward for everyone. They are rabidly attacking anyone who shares an opinion they disagree with, and my little sister is going as far as tagging her very aggressive friends in these arguments, who take everything to an entirely different level with threats and name calling. I'm about to just unfollow everyone on my FB so I don't have to scroll past anythin and I just get strangely perfect ads and various holiday sales.
My sister did this to me once when I was 13. All of her 23+ year old friends bullied me pretty mercilessly on Facebook over something that she was at fault for. Sometimes it's better to unfollow those people so you don't have an aneurysm every time you check your feed.

Professors were finally posted for 2nd semester classes.

Checked the prof for my organic chem class on RateMyProf, and they are at a solid 1.2. I liked organic chem in my intro chem classes, but I'm getting pretty worried now.

Checked the prof for my organic chem class on RateMyProf, and they are at a solid 1.2. I liked organic chem in my intro chem classes, but I'm getting pretty worried now.

Does any organic professor ever get greater than a 1.2 on RMP? I kid (sorta). Is he your only option?

I hate when my school doesn't add the professor until after I schedule. Such a pain.

I always take RMP with a grain of salt. It's a lot like Yelp or something to me, and I think people are more likely to leave negative comments than positive ones.

Reactions: 4 users
Does any organic professor ever get greater than a 1.2 on RMP? I kid (sorta). Is he your only option?

I hate when my school doesn't add the professor until after I schedule. Such a pain.

I always take RMP with a grain of salt. It's a lot like Yelp or something to me, and I think people are more likely to leave negative comments than positive ones.
Yeah, I get that it is a hard class and they will probably get ripped apart regardless of how good/bad they are. But quite a few of the comments were about their teaching style in particular as compared to other profs, and they were ranked way below all of the other people who teach organic. It was my only option since there is only 1 section second semester. Usually people take it in first semester.

I was looking at the classes I was hoping to take next year and I don't actually need it until second semester next year. So I could take it next fall instead when I have more options. So I dropped in and enrolled in a zoology course I had wanted to take (but wasn't able to because of original conflict with organic).

I may have severely over-reacted, but oh well it is too late now. I know how much of a difference a prof makes for me, so I'm not sure I want to risk it when I have other options. :/

Members don't see this ad :)

I found I really enjoyed professors more if I completely ignored what other students thought. 95% of the "prof bitching" was aimed at profs actually (gasp) expecting students to try. Profs were almost never as bad as students said - it was usually some disgruntled student who didn't try very hard and got mad that they were given an appropriate grade.

Reactions: 6 users
My organic professor was really cute and I had a low grade crush on him. It made the class more fun :D

Reactions: 3 users
Yup. Especially with sites like that where it's completely of your own volition. Even with the official course and professor evaluations run by school, you tend to get more negative comments than positive across the board.

Yup. Especially with sites like that where it's completely of your own volition. Even with the official course and professor evaluations run by school, you tend to get more negative comments than positive across the board.

We had a radiology professor in vet school who taught part of our first/second/third-yr radiology courses. I was on ultrasound rotation with this prof when she told us a story about a classmate of ours who filled out an evaluation that just roasted her, but concluded with something about how all-in-all she was still the best of the radiologists, "but that's like saying you're the best nazi."

She <was> tough and no-nonsense, but she was professional and she taught the damn material well. I really don't know what more people want .... a free participation grade of A? Give me a break. Do the damn work, earn your grade.

@kcoughli probably knows which radiologist I'm talking about. :)

**** like that makes me pretty much understand why so many profs ignore student feedback.

Reactions: 3 users
We had a radiology professor in vet school who taught part of our first/second/third-yr radiology courses. I was on ultrasound rotation with this prof when she told us a story about a classmate of ours who filled out an evaluation that just roasted her, but concluded with something about how all-in-all she was still the best of the radiologists, "but that's like saying you're the best nazi."

She <was> tough and no-nonsense, but she was professional and she taught the damn material well. I really don't know what more people want .... a free participation grade of A? Give me a break. Do the damn work, earn your grade.

**** like that makes me pretty much understand why so many profs ignore student feedback.

Please tell me that quotation at the end was not real life...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Please tell me that quotation at the end was not real life...

I'm not certain I have it 100% correct, but yes, that was exactly it or very close to it. Might have been "you're the nicest nazi"... something like that.

Yup. Professional school with professional students evaluating future colleagues. Yup yup.

Welcome to vet med.

People just love love love to complain, probably more than anything else in the world. And I get it, it's cathartic. Just maybe shouldn't be taken all too seriously. I've never cared much about the particular professor who was teaching a class though, unless it was for a positive reason. So a couple classes in undergrad I took because they were recommended to me, and then I took additional classes with those professors because I knew I liked them. Other than that it was pretty much neutral. I know for other people the teaching style and whatnot matters a lot. I guess I'm just pretty flexible about it.

I'm not certain I have it 100% correct, but yes, that was exactly it or very close to it. Might have been "you're the nicest nazi"... something like that.

Yup. Professional school with professional students evaluating future colleagues. Yup yup.

Welcome to vet med.
I can't wait to see some of the evaluations for one of our classes whenever that one comes up for review in the committee I'm on...judging by the amount of bitching I've heard it should be fun.

I do hope no one thinks I am one of the people who is looking for free A's. I have no issues with a hard prof, and adored my prof this semester who frequently does get complaints for his classes. I have a really hard time learning concepts from a textbook, so listening to explanations in class (and online) is of high importance to me.

In first year I had a calc prof with similar reviews, and the class was made much harder by the response to every question being a blank stare (her English was not very good) and the response "it's in the book". I sucked it up and just spent a lot of time in the math help centre, but it was incredible stressful. On the last day of classes she told my former bf and I that she failed the class she was teaching several times before passing, and was only teaching it as a requirement for her research contract. I get that there will be times you don't have a choice, but while I still have options I would like to take advantage of that.

Reactions: 2 users

Stuff like this is part of the problem I have with being forced to do reviews. People pull stuff like this, which is unprofessional, and then legitimate reviews from students that detail actual concerns are completely ignored. I, as well as a lot of classmates, had a really bad time last year and most of it came back to one specific professor. We filled out our reviews dutifully, a survey went around thanks to SGA, I had personal conversations with people in administration, and we got an email at the end of the year saying that "positive change was coming." I've talked to the third years who are now in the same position I was last year and absolutely nothing has changed. The same stuff that I complained about, that the class before me complained about, and that several classes before them complained about, is still happening and is still a problem.

Everything must be on a silver platter with a pat in the back and a gold star for simply doing wtf you are supposed to do.

I sense a post coming in my Special Snowflake thread. :)

People constantly complained about one of the surgeons where I went. She was great, she taught well, expected you to have researched your stuff, expected you to show up, participate, do your work and do it on time. Yeah she could get demanding at times but really she was just expecting you to do what you should already know to do. She didn't joke around much, only on occasion and was serious most of the time. I think that turned off a lot of students, but I thought she was great. She taught well and got ish done quickly.

Stuff like this is part of the problem I have with being forced to do reviews. People pull stuff like this, which is unprofessional, and then legitimate reviews from students that detail actual concerns are completely ignored. I, as well as a lot of classmates, had a really bad time last year and most of it came back to one specific professor. We filled out our reviews dutifully, a survey went around thanks to SGA, I had personal conversations with people in administration, and we got an email at the end of the year saying that "positive change was coming." I've talked to the third years who are now in the same position I was last year and absolutely nothing has changed. The same stuff that I complained about, that the class before me complained about, and that several classes before them complained about, is still happening and is still a problem.
Can relate. I don't believe our reviews do much when it comes to deciding if change is needed, contrary to what we're told. We have some legitimate learning concerns in our curriculum too, and they are the same concerns the classes before us have had. It's almost like it's a rite of passage at this point. Upperclassmen kind of just chuckle and nod when 1st/2nd year brings up certain instructors.

I don't know how it's done at other schools, but I know here if there are significant concerns they are definitely addressed. The timeline during which that occurs...not sure about that since I've only been here one semester. I also have the feeling that a lot of these changes require a lot of jumping through various hoops. I know for us most curriculum changes also have to go through the graduate council for the entire university in addition to the vet school administration.

There was some rabble-rabble going on with our mandated reviews (of both profs and courses) with regards to how unprofessional some of the reviews were.

The faculty's idea was to take away the anonymity. As awful as some comments can be, the only way you're going to get any feed back is if it's anonymous...

What I don't like is when things that upperclassmen address in course reviews is actually improved on by the faculty, and then the first years have to hear the bickering: "what? WE didn't get that. that's so unfair." like you asked for it, and it changed. isn't that how this works?

I was on ultrasound rotation with this prof when she told us a story about a classmate of ours who filled out an evaluation that just roasted her, but concluded with something about how all-in-all she was still the best of the radiologists, "but that's like saying you're the best nazi."

:uhno: why I could never do academia.

I need to vent. I've had constant abdominal pain for 3 weeks now, went to the ER for it once, have seen a couple of doctors, no answers. I haven't slept in 3 days. And now I'm feeling feverish and have a sore throat. I'm tired, I just wanna sleep and feel better. And hopefully before my vacation starts in just over a week.

I need to vent. I've had constant abdominal pain for 3 weeks now, went to the ER for it once, have seen a couple of doctors, no answers. I haven't slept in 3 days. And now I'm feeling feverish and have a sore throat. I'm tired, I just wanna sleep and feel better. And hopefully before my vacation starts in just over a week.

That sucks so much. :( I hope you get some relief soon, DVMD.

Hate it when they can't find answers. don't overwork yourself. :(

:( That's no fun. I had a similar experience in July and it turned out to be hepatitis due to mono. This was after I was required to take two pregnancy tests at urgent care despite insisting that I wasn't pregnant. I hope you get some answers, and a doctor that takes you seriously!

My chemistry class makes me so angry. I always go into the exams feeling so prepared after having asked what the exam was going to cover and doing a multitude of tutoring sessions and practice problems, and I almost always without don't quite study the right information. It's infuriating! I guess I just still havent really figured out the best way for me to study yet.

On another note...anyone know how to write argumentitive history papers?? Ahahah all I'm good at is lab reports.... :(

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Did you get any lab work done (e.g., blood panels) or other procedures/tests run? Feel free to pm me. Otherwise, I hope you feel better soon!

Urgh, I just really need to cut soda completely out of my diet or something. I love the taste of Coke and Dr. Pepper but definitely do not love the vague GI pain that hits me afterward. Every time I have one, seemingly without fail and regardless of what I eat with it, it gives me abdominal cramps and a sense of urgency (of the #2 variety). Outside of milk products---I do have a slight lactose intolerance---this is the only thing that causes this. I do have a couple of family members with IBS, so I wonder if that may be it. Or maybe my stomach and intestines just really do not enjoy being bombarded with that much high fructose corn syrup. Either way, it sucks.

Looks like I'm tapering off and switching to water only. I've successfully quit soda for several weeks a couple of times before, and it did help my stomach issues a LOT, but obviously I've never managed to stick with it in the long term. I think it might be time to try. I could definitely stand to lose a little bit of weight, too, so quitting would almost certainly help with that.

Urgh, I just really need to cut soda completely out of my diet or something. I love the taste but definitely do not love the vague GI pain that hits me afterward. Every time I have a soda, seemingly without fail and regardless of what I eat with it, it gives me abdominal cramps and a sense of urgency (of the #2 variety). Outside of milk products---I do have a slight lactose intolerance---this is the only thing that causes this. I do have a couple of family members with IBS, so I wonder if that may be it. Or maybe my stomach and intestines just really do not enjoy being bombarded with that much high fructose corn syrup. Either way, it sucks.

Looks like I'm tapering off and switching to water only. I've successfully quit soda for several weeks a couple of times before, but obviously I've never managed to stick with it in the long-term. I think it might be time to try. I could definitely stand to lose a little bit of weight, too, so quitting would almost certainly help with that.

Do you drink caffeinated soda?

Urgh, I just really need to cut soda completely out of my diet or something. I love the taste of Coke and Dr. Pepper but definitely do not love the vague GI pain that hits me afterward. Every time I have one, seemingly without fail and regardless of what I eat with it, it gives me abdominal cramps and a sense of urgency (of the #2 variety). Outside of milk products---I do have a slight lactose intolerance---this is the only thing that causes this. I do have a couple of family members with IBS, so I wonder if that may be it. Or maybe my stomach and intestines just really do not enjoy being bombarded with that much high fructose corn syrup. Either way, it sucks.

Looks like I'm tapering off and switching to water only. I've successfully quit soda for several weeks a couple of times before, and it did help my stomach issues a LOT, but obviously I've never managed to stick with it in the long term. I think it might be time to try. I could definitely stand to lose a little bit of weight, too, so quitting would almost certainly help with that.

I gave up soda as a New Year's resolution. After that year I never went back to drinking it and it's been many years now. I didn't intend on it turning out that way but it did and now soda completely repulses me. You can do it!

Pop has always bugged my stomach as well, but I always assumed it was just because I rarely drink it.

Have you tried any other types? I find ginger ale isn't nearly as bad (though still a little).

I gave up soda for Lent a few years back and have never picked it back up (unless I'm drinking alcohol with it... but that doesn't count :p ). I actually tried a sip of my friend's coke the other day just to see how I felt about it now, and it was disgusting to me. It can be done! You have my full support :)

I gave up soda for Lent a few years back and have never picked it back up (unless I'm drinking alcohol with it... but that doesn't count :p ). I actually tried a sip of my friend's coke the other day just to see how I felt about it now, and it was disgusting to me. It can be done! You have my full support :)
especially in grenada where they only add about 3 drops to the alcohol haha

i grew up in a home where kids were only allowed juice, water or milk and have no taste for any of that. thus i am a weirdo who only drinks those things. nothing carbonated, caffeinated, or alcoholic.

I mostly stopped drinking soda around high school/early college. I pretty much exclusively drink water and occasionally tea or black coffee. I used to drink soda with everything, but now I find it almost cloyingly sweet and it leaves a weird aftertaste in my mouth. I think the big thing with soda is taking time to adjust yourself down. If you drink six sodas a day going to zero is really difficult (and gives you a high chance of going back to your old habits), whereas going from six a day to four a day is a more sustainable change that you can renegotiate down once you get used to it.

Also, tangential to this conversation but if you ever want to talk to somebody about weight loss junk my inbox is open. I've been working on it myself this semester and I've lost about 40 lbs, and I know how much of a struggle it can be to work on stuff like that on top of school and existing in general.

So jealous of all of you. My house was extremely restrictive on sodas until I moved to the States. I completely gave it up for financial reasons (water is free) my second year of vet school but now I have one a day. Just seems to be a habit I can't completely kick... yet!