RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gone from step throat to intense abdominal pain to head cold/possible bronchitis/pneumonia. ...oh and I still have off and on intense abdominal pain. I don't normally have these things one on top of the other. ....I'm tired. So tired. All the time tired. 4 more work shifts

This might seem like a no-brainer but have you had your gallbladder checked? I had crazy abdominal pain (so much so that I was walking hunched over and couldn't keep food down) when my stones were discovered. Been living 11 years without that sucker now and I'm a lot happier!

I also would have periodic episodes of intense abdominal pain that would last 4-6 hours and leave my intestines feeling like they had shards of glass in them for a couple days afterward. I had a bunch of GI tests done - upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, CT enterography, upper GI series ... all normal. I switched primary care physicians and he referred me to a vascular neurologist because of the vertigo that would accompany my episodes. I would also get frequent headaches that neuro classified as low-grade migraines and thought my abdominal pain episodes were actually abdominal migraines. She put me on amitriptyline and told me to manage my stress better. I haven't had any 'abdominal migraines' in 5 years now and my headaches have decreased in frequency with the amitriptyline. I think exercise has been a lifesaver and also recognizing when I'm pushing too hard and need to take a step back to rest.

It really sucks when you're not getting answers, I've been there. Keep advocating for yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

We're currently waiting on the results of a class poll to determine how to take the exam now. Closed note, or open note with "harder questions." Today has just been ridiculous. We've been dicked around from day one as first years, tbh. No communication, exam changes last minute, etc. This is just the first time where it's been as drastic as 'Okay don't memorize' to 'Okay, memorize 8 weeks in 3 days.'

9 more days, 9 more days.

Reactions: 1 user
We're currently waiting on the results of a class poll to determine how to take the exam now. Closed note, or open note with "harder questions." Today has just been ridiculous. We've been dicked around from day one as first years, tbh. No communication, exam changes last minute, etc. This is just the first time where it's been as drastic as 'Okay don't memorize' to 'Okay, memorize 8 weeks in 3 days.'

9 more days, 9 more days.

Did this professor give any specific reasoning for up and changing the format?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did this professor give any specific reasoning for up and changing the format?
Our class rep (poor guy, it's been a crap year for this kind of stuff) talked to him and our course coordinator privately. Both are trying to claim that the parasit section was never described as open book, even though we have emails indicating otherwise. This is mostly on the course coordinator for being irresponsible with her wording, then, because she's telling us the open book part was implied for the other half of the lab practical. In the parasit instructor's mind, he wasn't changing a thing. However, we have 100% of the class saying otherwise, so clearly there was a big miscommunication there. I can't even imagine what would have happened had he not talked about the lab practical today. We would have all shown up with parasit guides and no memorization of eggs, life cycles, etc.

The class voted closed book, so hopefully he'll have mercy and realized we haven't been studying for this style until today.

Annnnnd just got an email from my landlord's son charging me $45 for a non-functional pull string on my ceiling light. Dude, I didn't break it, and your repairmen both said these things break regularly since they're so cheap.

The email also started out with "I hope the end of the semester is treating you well!" Buddy, you have noooo idea.

White stuff fell from the sky last night for the first time in probably 3 years.

It is pretty, but since we never get snow no one here knows how to winter. So equine surgeon cancelled all of the surgeries due to dangerous driving conditions. :( I might try to go up next week, but this week was my "off week" before exams so it was ideal.

Sorry to hear it, DVMD. Have you had any cross sectional imaging performed yet?
I've been going through something similar, not quite sure what it is. It is slowly getting better. I've been to my family physician, but his recommendations have actually made it worse (no knock on him, my body is just impossible sometimes). I have a history of ovarian cysts, and they can produce signs of an acute abdomen. That's what I am attributing my abdominal pain to. Unfortunately, short of performing an OHE, nothing much I can do as I am already on BC. Which sucks, because I've had to leave work early before because of it. Pain medication doesn't even touch the pain, not even IV morphine. It's a very unpleasant type of visceral pain.

Yup to all the above, even the ovarian cyst history. Only difference is the birth control, trying that, we'll see if works.

This might seem like a no-brainer but have you had your gallbladder checked? I had crazy abdominal pain (so much so that I was walking hunched over and couldn't keep food down) when my stones were discovered. Been living 11 years without that sucker now and I'm a lot happier!

I also would have periodic episodes of intense abdominal pain that would last 4-6 hours and leave my intestines feeling like they had shards of glass in them for a couple days afterward. I had a bunch of GI tests done - upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, CT enterography, upper GI series ... all normal. I switched primary care physicians and he referred me to a vascular neurologist because of the vertigo that would accompany my episodes. I would also get frequent headaches that neuro classified as low-grade migraines and thought my abdominal pain episodes were actually abdominal migraines. She put me on amitriptyline and told me to manage my stress better. I haven't had any 'abdominal migraines' in 5 years now and my headaches have decreased in frequency with the amitriptyline. I think exercise has been a lifesaver and also recognizing when I'm pushing too hard and need to take a step back to rest.

It really sucks when you're not getting answers, I've been there. Keep advocating for yourself!

I had a CT, but no gallbladder specific testing. I doubt it is gallbladder but definitely not keeping it off the list in my head.

Our class rep (poor guy, it's been a crap year for this kind of stuff) talked to him and our course coordinator privately. Both are trying to claim that the parasit section was never described as open book, even though we have emails indicating otherwise. This is mostly on the course coordinator for being irresponsible with her wording, then, because she's telling us the open book part was implied for the other half of the lab practical. In the parasit instructor's mind, he wasn't changing a thing. However, we have 100% of the class saying otherwise, so clearly there was a big miscommunication there. I can't even imagine what would have happened had he not talked about the lab practical today. We would have all shown up with parasit guides and no memorization of eggs, life cycles, etc.

The class voted closed book, so hopefully he'll have mercy and realized we haven't been studying for this style until today.

So glad to see absolutely nothing changes with the BS communication at the school. Expect worse for 3rd year. Thankfully I'm nearing the end!

3/7 Rejections for me, it's getting increasingly hard to stay optimistic. Praying that these closed doors will eventually lead me to open bright and shiny open one in the New Year. In the process of trying to secure a job for my back up plan, with little to no luck on that front. Graduation is in 9 days and I've been indulging in stress eating and my own little pity parties. Keeping every limb and appendage on my body crossed for these next few weeks as decisions continue to come out! :nailbiting:

3/7 Rejections for me, it's getting increasingly hard to stay optimistic. Praying that these closed doors will eventually lead me to open bright and shiny open one in the New Year. In the process of trying to secure a job for my back up plan, with little to no luck on that front. Graduation is in 9 days and I've been indulging in stress eating and my own little pity parties. Keeping every limb and appendage on my body crossed for these next few weeks as decisions continue to come out! :nailbiting:

Don't lose hope. I had some schools that I didn't think I stood a chance, got in, some that I though would be way easier to get into and I got rejected. Each school is individual, just because a couple say no doesn't mean they all will!

Reactions: 5 users
Is there somebody at the school you can ask? Like whichever department sets you up with this health insurance? Or the hospital billing department?

Honestly, I would think the school would be your best choice.
My insurance company has been fine about responding, it's the providers who are pains.
I would say that you need to talk to the billing department at the hospital with the ER. Make sure they have the right info. Maybe ask for an e-mail of an actual person so you have something in writing and someone to follow up with. If they want their money, they'll work it out. You shouldn't need a lawyer if it's just a matter of the claim not being submitted to the right insurance company.
I've tried talking to the hospital multiple times but they just re-direct me to the providers. I've gone to the hospital in person and the billing department is an hour away. It's a very convoluted situation: the providers took forever to contact my actual insurance and now the insurance needs proof of timely filing (within 90 days) and I seem to make phone calls into black holes. So frustrating. But I appreciate everyone listening. I just don't understand why this is so impossible for these providers...golly.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at work and the veterinarian I work for consistently leaves his 10 year old golden retriever shut up in his office for 12 hour shifts, while he leaves the clinic to go home or take breaks. we try and take her out as much as she can, but if its too busy here she can go a really long time without being let out or walked and she seems to be developing chronic UTIs because of it. As a vet I expected him to be more aware of his animal's needs. It's just really frustrating to watch.

Fantastic.

More than halfway through my major and I've discovered that I absolutely hate it. Still love the subject, fascinating material, but I feel like I am drowning in my classes and expected to know things that I just don't. I've never felt more stupid in my life (and that includes my time volunteering in vet clinics, so that's saying something).

My upper-level biology courses make me think biology would have been a better choice. Just as interesting without being quite as soul-crushing.
What is your major?

I like chem too; I'm taking biochem right now and I love the material. I just find myself unable to keep up for a whatever reason :/ it's really discouraging when this is the main thing I came to school to learn in the first place

That's hard stuff. The lower level chem classes are difficult...I can't imagine actually majoring in chem.

How close are you to finishing? Have you thought about changing?

Finishing my 5th semester. I feel like it's a little late (and I'm stubborn and want my chem degree), though I'm considering minoring or double majoring if I don't get accepted my first try or two. I probably would not be as worried if I didn't have a specific OOS school in mind with a very high GPA average for accepted OOS students.
Which school? You can always post your stats in the "what are my chances thread?" People can be pretty helpful!

Having a chem degree is definitely different than most, might help you stand out!

Texas A&M. I might post there over winter break when I find the time; digging up my scattered experience hours and calculating my last 45 and prereq GPA seems like a daunting task at the moment, lol.

I certainly hope it might make me stand out a little; I've been told by people here that it's an uncommon path to vet school, but I've no idea what the actual overall stats are
Just FYI, schools don't give a hoot about what your major is. As long as you complete/pass the prereqs, you're in the running. You could major in art and it doesn't matter, as long as you've got the pre-reqs. I don't know that any one major allows you to stand out during admissions. How you use that major in your personal statement, experiences, etc. might...but just the major itself, probably not so much.

Reactions: 1 users
Just FYI, schools don't give a hoot about what your major is. As long as you complete/pass the prereqs, you're in the running. You could major in art and it doesn't matter, as long as you've got the pre-reqs. I don't know that any one major allows you to stand out during admissions. How you use that major in your personal statement, experiences, etc. might...but just the major itself, probably not so much.

That's the impression I've gotten. Honestly I think I've just made it harder for myself by not picking something that comes more naturally to me.

That's the impression I've gotten. Honestly I think I've just made it harder for myself by not picking something that comes more naturally to me.
Talk to an adviser, see what they have to say. Many science majors have overlapping courses, you may not be as behind as you think should you choose to switch.

Although, if biochem seems to be your struggle, just remember that it's only one or two classes. Biochem sucks the life out of a lot of people.

One of the programs I applied to through the match just sent me an email that reads: "Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be taking any residents during the 2016-2017 application process." Kind of frustrated I burned one of my applications on them when they aren't even taking anyone. I really shouldn't complain, but I'd almost rather be rejected than told I completely wasted my time applying there (especially when it was the only program I applied to that required additional application materials...)

Fantastic.

More than halfway through my major and I've discovered that I absolutely hate it. Still love the subject, fascinating material, but I feel like I am drowning in my classes and expected to know things that I just don't. I've never felt more stupid in my life (and that includes my time volunteering in vet clinics, so that's saying something).

My upper-level biology courses make me think biology would have been a better choice. Just as interesting without being quite as soul-crushing.
Finishing my 5th semester. I feel like it's a little late (and I'm stubborn and want my chem degree), though I'm considering minoring or double majoring if I don't get accepted my first try or two. I probably would not be as worried if I didn't have a specific OOS school in mind with a very high GPA average for accepted OOS students.

aaaayyyyy I switched first semester senior year from a chem major to what I am now (still under the chem department umbrella, but no longer BSChem and has some bio classes as core courses which my chem major did not). I was about 5 classes away from that major (but 2 or 3 were different labs). Switching so late put me at just 1 extra semester (because I had to take the second intro bio and lab before I could take the upper-level bio classes) but I'm liking it a LOT more now. I LOVED some of my chem classes, but some of them I despised and was struggling with and it made me hate my major and made me feel incredibly stupid because I wasn't understanding the stuff. Also made me rethink all life decisions and I am now applying to vet school (was the original goal until high school chem class when I fell in love with chem) instead of going on to become a lab rat. So late on that game too.
So It's definitely not too late if you really want to do it. You may be like me and end up in undergrad for an extra semester which kind of sucks, but I'm a lot happier and am no longer wanting to cry at some of my chem classes (I really hated inorganic chem(not gen chem inorganic, upper level inorganic))

One of the programs I applied to through the match just sent me an email that reads: "Due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be taking any residents during the 2016-2017 application process." Kind of frustrated I burned one of my applications on them when they aren't even taking anyone. I really shouldn't complain, but I'd almost rather be rejected than told I completely wasted my time applying there (especially when it was the only program I applied to that required additional application materials...)
Do they limit how many you can apply to?

Fantastic.

Just fyi, this is pretty much what every day of vet school feels like for most people so while it doesn't matter what you major in as long as your pre-reqs get done with good grades, this is unlikely the last time you fell this way about what you are working through.

Just fyi, this is pretty much what every day of vet school feels like for most people so while it doesn't matter what you major in as long as your pre-reqs get done with good grades, this is unlikely the last time you fell this way about what you are working through.

I figured as much. I'm just worried that if I already feel like this in undergrad, then that might be a bad sign for vet school since it is so much harder.

Ha, at this point I'm probably looking at an extra semester anyway, so that might be what I should do. I'm not sure I'll be able to convince myself though; I just love the subject matter so much even if it makes me feel like a complete idiot, and I really want that chem degree. Switching might be what's best for me though. (A double major would be nice . . . lol)

Yea I used to be dead set on the DVM/PhD route, but I don't think I have quite the passion for research to be as happy with that path as I could be with clinical. Still like research (what little I've been introduced to as an undergrad), but clinical appeals to me more.

I'm taking inorganic next semester; I'm really hoping it won't be too terrible
It honestly wasn't THAT bad, I just did not particularly like it. Certain parts of the class, I really liked, but others I didn't. But that's just my personal opinion. One of my friends who is now a first year chem PhD student LOOOOVES orgo, which I didn't love as much as her, but I loved loved loved analytical chem, but she despised it (and got mad when I didn't have to study as hard as her for that class but got a much higher grade, whoops). You may be one of those people who really likes inorganic! There certainly were a handful in my class who did. I never took the second semester (400 level at my school, 1st semester was 300 level) of inorganic (because I switched majors/my life plan and dropped it and took biochem that semester instead) so I can't comment on inorganic 2 (assuming your school has two classes for it that you have to take). I think part of my problem was that things weren't explained well/explained enough, though.

Biochem is my main struggle this semester. It's frustrating because I don't even find the material itself difficult; it's the class leaving me feeling a little lost. I'm hoping the second semester will be better.

It is a lot of material...in a lot of ways I think of Biochem more biology/physiology type class than a true chemistry (which is probably why I liked it so much lol).

Wow, that really sucks. Obviously unforeseen circumstances are well, unforeseen, but still sucks! I wonder, since it's so close to the deadline, if you can talk to VIRMP and change your application? They were super helpful and quick when I emailed.

Wow, that really sucks. Obviously unforeseen circumstances are well, unforeseen, but still sucks! I wonder, since it's so close to the deadline, if you can talk to VIRMP and change your application? They were super helpful and quick when I emailed.
Unfortunately the lab animal residency deadlines were about a month earlier than the actual VIRMP deadline so it's a bit too late for that at this point. It's probably fine, I do have a few interviews lined up already, it just kind of sucked to realize I could've applied somewhere that is actually accepting residents this year :rolleyes:

I've studied probably 40 hours for my biochem final (went over all like 500 flashcards I had made for this class and last year's exams until I completely understood the material). And the questions were 100% different from what I studied... soooo that sucks. I studied all of that for practically nothing. I'm just holding on hope for biochem 2 where it's a different professor that I really like, and I can rediscover my love of biochemistry!

Finished my first final ever of vet school. Really wasn't a good way to start finals week and I am feeling incredibly crappy about myself right about now, especially because I felt like I had actually acquired some halfway decent study methods and spent a lot of time preparing only to feel like the biggest idiot both during and after the test.

I just want to pass so that I can go home and then start fresh next semester... that's all I want. I don't even care about the specific grades anymore.

Finished my first final ever of vet school. Really wasn't a good way to start finals week and I am feeling incredibly crappy about myself right about now, especially because I felt like I had actually acquired some halfway decent study methods and spent a lot of time preparing only to feel like the biggest idiot both during and after the test.

I just want to pass so that I can go home and then start fresh next semester... that's all I want. I don't even care about the specific grades anymore.
Have you gotten your grade back already?

I ask because sometimes you can feel pretty bad about an exam but then it ends up being fine!

Have you gotten your grade back already?

I ask because sometimes you can feel pretty bad about an exam but then it ends up being fine!
No, but I just have a really bad feeling. And apparently so does everyone else; I spoke to the majority of the class as they came out of the DR (I was sitting outside waiting for a friend to finish) and literally ONE of them actually felt any better than "Oh god, I failed that" about it. :/

No, but I just have a really bad feeling. And apparently so does everyone else; I spoke to the majority of the class as they came out of the DR (I was sitting outside waiting for a friend to finish) and literally ONE of them actually felt any better than "Oh god, I failed that" about it. :/
Well then I predict either everyone did better than they thought, or everyone did poorly and there will be a lovely curve :D

Well then I predict either everyone did better than they thought, or everyone did poorly and there will be a lovely curve :D
Desperately hoping that either of those is the case. I think everyone had it set in their minds that the majority of the test was going to be over cranial nerves and so focused primarily on that, but that material made up... maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the test?

At least we've got an optional remedial test, I guess...? And I do feel considerably more confident about the theory/lecture final, so hopefully that goes better.

Desperately hoping that either of those is the case. I think everyone had it set in their minds that the majority of the test was going to be over cranial nerves and so focused primarily on that, but that material made up... maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the test?
I spent so long coming up with a way to remember all the skull structures and there was only one question on that :yeahright:

I spent so long coming up with a way to remember all the skull structures and there was only one question on that :yeahright:
Urgh. I mixed up the hypoglossal foramen and stylomastoid foramen on the test.

I did impress myself by remembering that the geniculate ganglion within the genu of the facial nerve at the facial/petrosal canal of the temporal bone was a thing, though! Apparently a lot of people missed that one. I figured that if I was going to forget a ganglion, that that would likely be the one :D