RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you and housemate been talking about it at all, or just feeling your way along? If you haven't had a real conversation about where you see yourselves, what you want, etc, it may be time to do that.
The long and the short of it is that we're going in separate directions (literally) but he just got out of a LDR and doesn't want to do it again. So right now we're essentially a couple, but on the DL and with an expiration date. I do not recommend this approach.

Members don't see this ad.

The long and the short of it is that we're going in separate directions (literally) but he just got out of a LDR and doesn't want to do it again. So right now we're essentially a couple, but on the DL and with an expiration date. I do not recommend this approach.
:( I'm sorry, that's really rough

Rant against myself: I get easily annoyed and snippy with people when I'm in some level of physical discomfort or pain and I need to just let it go or speak up and say I'm not feeling well or that I need a break to rest a strained muscle. My parents brought my truck back to me today so we went out to eat and went shopping. I was getting a little too irrationally angry with my mom at the grocery store for not keeping up with me (she had the cart and I had a strained lower back from doing gardening yesterday).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got home from an unexpected all night shift (swing shift turned into all nighter) and my house smells like pee, and not new pee, because he who has been peeing in the house recently was with me overnight. I've been diligently spot cleaning the carpets with a shampooed as accidents happen but maybe I missed a spot? Either way ughhhh

I hate having allergies. And three days worth of headache. I'm so over all the tree sex that is happening outside right now. Just knock it off already.
I feel you.
Mine are basically year round, but last week they were the absolute WORST. I could barely talk for two and a half days :lame:

Reactions: 1 users
I feel you.
Mine are basically year round, but last week they were the absolute WORST. I could barely talk for two and a half days :lame:

Mine are the same :(. Post-nasal drip all year round, too. It's quite lovely.

Was really hoping to get straight As this semester and graduate with distinction. Our physics professor told us that 75% of total points guaranteed us an A.. she even emailed it to me when I asked her. Well after the final exam she changed it so that if we didn't score a certain percentage on the final, our grade automatically dropped one letter grade lower, regardless of what our final percentage was. Granted, I should have done better on the final but wish we were told this before taking the exam. So even though I have a 77%... I'm getting a B. Curse you physics ;)

Was really hoping to get straight As this semester and graduate with distinction. Our physics professor told us that 75% of total points guaranteed us an A.. she even emailed it to me when I asked her. Well after the final exam she changed it so that if we didn't score a certain percentage on the final, our grade automatically dropped one letter grade lower, regardless of what our final percentage was. Granted, I should have done better on the final but wish we were told this before taking the exam. So even though I have a 77%... I'm getting a B. Curse you physics ;)
Is it in the syllabus? That's not okay for it to change like that!!

Is it in the syllabus? That's not okay for it to change like that!!

Nope not in the syllabus. I contacted the department head and he said to file an appeal.. not sure if I wanna go through all of that lol. I'm waiting to see what the distinction cutoffs are. She posted an announcement to the class saying how important the final was.. yeah it is but you didn't tell us we had to get a certain percentage on it to keep our grade.

Nope not in the syllabus. I contacted the department head and he said to file an appeal.. not sure if I wanna go through all of that lol. I'm waiting to see what the distinction cutoffs are. She posted an announcement to the class saying how important the final was.. yeah it is but you didn't tell us we had to get a certain percentage on it to keep our grade.
Yeah I would fight that if you can. If it wasn't in the syllabus that you have to make X grade, I feel like she's not allowed to make that big of a change after the final already happened!

Ha... so I just checked the syllabus this is what is says.

Grades in this class arise from a mix of many different ways to judge your work, NOT solely
from your performance on exams. Be sure you understand the components!
The result is a grade that is a more accurate representation of your performance in the class. It
also means that you might be able to blow one midterm exam and still get an A if your work in
other categories is first rate! It also means if you do very poorly on any one category -- say you
don't hand in any homework -- it can be difficult to get a decent grade!
These divisions are not guaranteed. We may adjust due to unforseen circumstances that
cancel classes or HW - snow, tornadoes, etc.

@cdoconn what do you think?

Grades in this class arise from a mix of many different ways to judge your work, NOT solely
The result is a grade that is a more accurate representation of your performance in the class. It
also means that you might be able to blow one midterm exam and still get an A if your work in
other categories is first rate! It also means if you do very poorly on any one category -- say you
These divisions are not guaranteed. We may adjust due to unforseen circumstances that

I would fight it. If you've done everything else, I would fight it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thing that blows about this industry is how many jobs don't ALLOW you to "take the time you need" for mental health. Everyone's all big on "take care of yourself" and "find work-life balance" and whatnot ....

.... but for wayyyyyy too big a percentage of this industry, the job doesn't allow it.

It's not a failure by vets to "take care of themselves." It's a failure by the industry (and vets that run it) to make that even remotely possible for a sizeable percentage of jobs.

Yeah. We're REALLY great health-care providers. We can't even control our own industry so that our health care is important.

This industry kinda blows in a lot of ways.

<insert puppy dogs and kittens and unicorns with rainbow farts to keep all the "don't be negative!" people happy>

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users

This reads as total bull. The whole point of a syllabus is to clearly lay out expectations for performance. To run a system so deliberately vague means that your instructor can change anything, at any time, to any degree.

If it were me, I would fight that with extreme prejudice. Uncool. :mad:

Reactions: 6 users
This reads as total bull. The whole point of a syllabus is to clearly lay out expectations for performance. To run a system so deliberately vague means that your instructor can change anything, at any time, to any degree.

If it were me, I would fight that with extreme prejudice. Uncool. :mad:

Exactly... and the point distribution is clear in the syllabus
Exam 1 - 100 points
Exam 2 - 100 points
Final - 200 points
Homework - 250 points
Lab - 150 points
Recitation - 100 points
Clicker Q's - 100 points

So yeah she's totally disregarding that the final is not worth more than 50% of our grade. I did well in everything else so that I didn't have to do well on the final to keep an A (75% of total points).

Exactly... and the point distribution is clear in the syllabus
Exam 1 - 100 points
Exam 2 - 100 points
Final - 200 points
Homework - 250 points
Lab - 150 points
Recitation - 100 points
Clicker Q's - 100 points

So yeah she's totally disregarding that the final is not worth more than 50% of our grade. I did well in everything else so that I didn't have to do well on the final to keep an A (75% of total points).

You should be able to calculate your exact grade using this metric. Is it an A or a B based on that? If it's an A, I would pitch a damn fit. I agree it still isn't clear when combined with that she had said before the final.

You should be able to calculate your exact grade using this metric. Is it an A or a B based on that? If it's an A, I would pitch a damn fit. I agree it still isn't clear when combined with that she had said before the final.

My exact grade percentage is 77.86%. That's with everything in. So it's clearly above the 75% she told us originally before the final exam and all throughout the semester. Sigh.. probably won't get changed but I know other students are emailing her as well. Her most recent class update was this:

Ones again. It has been emphasized many times in lectures that final exam is an important indication of your level of mastering class materials. It has been told by me repeatedly that regardless of your running totals and low cut off for this class you should take final seriously and prepare for it. Majority of problems on the final came from lecture slides, recitation and homework, similar problems were given on the practice exam. So, performing poorly on the final indicates insufficient mastering of the class material.

Yeah it was emphasized that the final was important but she did not say anything about having to score above a certain percentage. Majority of problems came from Soviet high school exams (professor is Russian). The questions I were actually able to get right were based off homework and clicker questions. Performing poorly doesn't mean much considering more than half the exam was MC so... those who were lucky guessing that day kudos to them. Both my friends admitted they guessed on more than half the exam. They really show they know the material whereas someone else could've had a simple calculator error.. gotten it wrong.. even though they knew more physics that the guesser who got it right.

I would fight it because she emailed you expectations for what your grade needed to be. That is essentially the same as getting it handed to you in writing and her changing it so suddenly isn't fair to yourself or other students in the class. Professors are allowed to curve things as they see fit, but if the curving is made clear to students before an exam and then arbitrarily changed after I don't think they're holding up their end of the agreement. I personally think you would have a decent chance of fighting that, and if it doesn't work out then you still have your original grade.

I would fight it because she emailed you expectations for what your grade needed to be. That is essentially the same as getting it handed to you in writing and her changing it so suddenly isn't fair to yourself or other students in the class. Professors are allowed to curve things as they see fit, but if the curving is made clear to students before an exam and then arbitrarily changed after I don't think they're holding up their end of the agreement. I personally think you would have a decent chance of fighting that, and if it doesn't work out then you still have your original grade.

If I were a professor my syllabus would start with: "There will be tests. You will be graded on them. There will be assignments. You will be graded on those, too. There will be other criteria for evaluation, such as class participation, performance on lab material, and attendance. There will be no metric provided ahead of time. Show up, participate, do well. Complaints may be submitted to the department chair."

I'd be the least-popular prof ever. I'd be ok with that.

Too much providing a metric just means students aim to pass the metric, rather than comprehend the material.

I mean. We had a class where there were so many assignments and points and whatnot (one of our pharm courses) that you could easily get through the semester with, show up for the final, put 'D' for every answer on the test, and get an A in the class.

Reactions: 4 users
If I were a professor my syllabus would start with: "There will be tests. You will be graded on them. There will be assignments. You will be graded on those, too. There will be other criteria for evaluation, such as class participation, performance on lab material, and attendance. There will be by a metric provided ahead of time. Show up, participate, do well. Complaints may be submitted to the department chair."

Too much providing a metric just means students aim to pass the metric, rather than comprehend the material.

Yeah. And if there isn't something on that syllabus stating a grading range such as...

75% + is an A
65%- 74% is a B
Etc
Etc

Then your 75% could end as a C if complaints get taken too far.

Yeah. And if there isn't something on that syllabus stating a grading range such as...

75% + is an A
65%- 74% is a B
Etc
Etc

Then I guess her email to me saying 75% guarantees you A is meaningless lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If I were a professor my syllabus would start with: "There will be tests. You will be graded on them. There will be assignments. You will be graded on those, too. There will be other criteria for evaluation, such as class participation, performance on lab material, and attendance. There will be no metric provided ahead of time. Show up, participate, do well. Complaints may be submitted to the department chair."

I mean. We had a class where there were so many assignments and points and whatnot (one of our pharm courses) that you could easily get through the semester with, show up for the final, put 'D' for every answer on the test, and get an A in the class.
Most of my classes in undergrad and in vet school contained clauses such as "syllabus may be changed at any time." This was brought up to me time and time again when one specific professor continually changed due dates on assignments, grading criteria, expectations for when assignments would be returned... It sucks, but the professor is generally bullet proof in these scenarios. That being said, I'd be just like LIS if I was a professor.

75% + is an A
65%- 74% is a B
Etc
Etc

At least at UMN professors have very wide discretion as to how they handle grading (or did when I was there). They are required to provide a syllabus, but (at least when I was there) it wasn't required to give a breakdown of points and whatnot. Most did, just because students make it the end of the world if they don't have it. I'd just delete those emails.

Or if they showed up in my office, I'd do what one prof did to me when I went to talk about a question I missed: "Get the hell out of my office. Some students are barely passing. You're doing fine. Go away." (Contrary to what it sounds like, he was a great prof. And super funny. Just very blunt.)

My syllabus would just provide my contact info, some verbiage about "you'll get graded how I see fit," and a schedule of topics/lectures/etc. If students want to show up and learn - great, they'd get graded appropriately. If they don't, screw 'em, they don't deserve a decent grade.

At least at UMN professors have very wide discretion as to how they handle grading (or did when I was there). They are required to provide a syllabus, but (at least when I was there) it wasn't required to give a breakdown of points and whatnot. Most did, just because students make it the end of the world if they don't have it. I'd just delete those emails.

Or if they showed up in my office, I'd do what one prof did to me when I went to talk about a question I missed: "Get the hell out of my office. Some students are barely passing. You're doing fine. Go away." (Contrary to what it sounds like, he was a great prof. And super funny. Just very blunt.)

My syllabus would just provide my contact info, some verbiage about "you'll get graded how I see fit," and a schedule of topics/lectures/etc. If students want to show up and learn - great, they'd get graded appropriately. If they don't, screw 'em, they don't deserve a decent grade.

We had a few classes with a breakdown but for the most part, it wasn't. The professors graded how they saw fit, which for the most part, was fair.

I wasn't much to complain about grades or put up a fight about things. If I was passing, I was happy.

Heck, the last time I made mention about a grade was second semester of freshman year in undergrad. I had straight A's at that point minus one junior level animal behavior class I was taking in which I had a B. Asked the instructor for advice and basically got the same answer you did, along with a "try harder, study better" if you want an A. I walked out happy with my B.

Today was my Grandad's 84th birthday. He didn't know who I was when I called to tell him happy birthday. I knew people were saying he was declining rapidly, but apparently every time I've talked to him it's been a 'good day' so it's kind of a shock to witness it myself for the first time. I know I'm lucky to have all of my grandparents still living, and I know it's just age/disease affecting him, but it still makes me really sad. I stayed with this set of grandparents every weekday from 8 weeks of age until I was 8 years old...I calculated it up and I spent about 2,000 of the first 2,400 days of my life with them. Grandad was (and still is) my role model growing up. I'm hoping he'll remember when I see him in person while I'm home for my sister's wedding in a couple weeks, but at the same time am trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Reactions: 2 users
Today was my Grandad's 84th birthday. He didn't know who I was when I called to tell him happy birthday. I knew people were saying he was declining rapidly, but apparently every time I've talked to him it's been a 'good day' so it's kind of a shock to witness it myself for the first time. I know I'm lucky to have all of my grandparents still living, and I know it's just age/disease affecting him, but it still makes me really sad. I stayed with this set of grandparents every weekday from 8 weeks of age until I was 8 years old...I calculated it up and I spent about 2,000 of the first 2,400 days of my life with them. Grandad was (and still is) my role model growing up. I'm hoping he'll remember when I see him in person while I'm home for my sister's wedding in a couple weeks, but at the same time am trying not to get my hopes up too much.
I'm sorry, Jayna. My grandma's starting to go through that as well. It's hard. We're here for you!

Have a feeling I know who that was :laugh:

I'm sorry Jayna. It completely sucks.

I lost my first grandma a few years ago. My mom's mom was just transferred to ICU today. I'm worried especially because I'm supposed to go out of town in less than a week. I spent every weekend with this grandma from about 5 years of age until I was about 13. She's more like a second mom.

Then I guess her email to me saying 75% guarantees you A is meaningless lol
I get what you are saying, to an extent, but you earned a grade that in almost every other class would be a C, so I kind of feel you should be happy with your B. I also think your profs grading section of the syllabus is total BS.

I get what you are saying, to an extent, but you earned a grade that in almost every other class would be a C, so I kind of feel you should be happy with your B. I also think your profs grading section of the syllabus is total BS.

That is true. But almost no other class I have taken anyways has had exam averages of 50% either. I'll probably wake up fine for it. I was really hoping to graduate with distinction. But does it really matter anyways? Not really.

I'm too over undergrad to go through all that nonsense. It's crappy of the professor, but a B in physics just feels like a trivial thing to fight during your last semester of undergrad after you've already gotten into vet school. But that's just me.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm too over undergrad to go through all that nonsense. It's crappy of the professor, but a B in physics just feels like a trivial thing to fight during your last semester of undergrad after you've already gotten into vet school. But that's just me.
I agree wholeheartedly.

(Or is it I wholeheartedly agree? Dunno how to english)

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

That is true. But almost no other class I have taken anyways has had exam averages of 50% either. I'll probably wake up fine for it. I was really hoping to graduate with distinction. But does it really matter anyways? Not really.
Once you finish vet school, no one will care how well you did in undergrad. :) I get that distinction would have been neat, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth the stress.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks everyone! You're absolutely right that it will not matter in 5+ years. It's just adding to my stress levels as well! Haha Graduation this Saturday can't come soon enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone! You're absolutely right that it will not matter in 5+ years. It's just adding to my stress levels as well! Haha Graduation this Saturday can't come soon enough.

I'm not, btw, saying you're wrong to be annoyed at a prof that isn't sticking to their syllabus. I think they <should> stick to what they wrote. Once you tell a class 'this is how it will be,' you should honor that.

I'm just saying if I were writing a syllabus, it would be intentionally vague about grading. :)

Ugh. Personal rant, sorry.

I just found out that I'm gonna get a C in biochem 2. And that's okay. It's not required
for vet school, just my degree. And for the most part, it's because of the month and a half that I was sick/ in and out of urgent care/ in and out of the ER. And I know that C's get degrees and that it doesn't matter, but I actually really liked that class and I tired really hard and I got a C in it.

I'm so angry that I was sick. And I'm angry that my lungs can't figure their **** out, and I'm a little scared that they won't be okay by this fall. So I'm hoping after visiting a myriad of doctors this summer, my lungs will start to behave and they won't affect me once I start vet school/ no more ER visits. :(

Reactions: 3 users
Ugh. Personal rant, sorry.

I just found out that I'm gonna get a C in biochem 2. And that's okay. It's not required
for vet school, just my degree. And for the most part, it's because of the month and a half that I was sick/ in and out of urgent care/ in and out of the ER. And I know that C's get degrees and that it doesn't matter, but I actually really liked that class and I tired really hard and I got a C in it.

I'm so angry that I was sick. And I'm angry that my lungs can't figure their **** out, and I'm a little scared that they won't be okay by this fall. So I'm hoping after visiting a myriad of doctors this summer, my lungs will start to behave and they won't affect me once I start vet school/ no more ER visits. :(
I hope your lungs figure their **** out too. Hope you feel better! Hugs and love.

Oh we're not using English. I'm using a series of clicks and whistles. Your brain is automatically translating it for you. Welcome to the future.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry about the C. Even when it is isn't required for you to do better than that, it can still definitely be frustrating... with few exceptions, vet school so far has been nothing but straight Cs for me. So I do understand.

I hope your lungs figure themselves out and that you start feeling better before the fall! Don't forget that you can also very likely defer if you need to and things haven't resolved to the point that you think that you can handle school. Lots of good thoughts and hugs. <3
Thanks Sandy! :( it's really hard, as you know. I'm rooting for you! <3

I have been thinking about deferring a lot lately, especially when I was in the ER, I just want to see what my doctors say first. There's a 95% chance I'll be going to see a Pulm this summer, I just need to get a referral from my PCP (ER couldn't refer me. Hmph). Hopefully I can just everything this summer and find a drug pattern that works!

Stressing about finding a place to live for the next several months. Currently I am only planning on staying through September and I can easily find June - August sublets since I'm in a college town, but I'd really down want to move twice. Partially tempted to say I'll just stay for the year to avoid moving twice, but I think I want to move back towards Philly within the next year.