RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I left my phone at my friends' house and I can't get it until tomorrow. :arghh:

I hate when I leave my phone anywhere. I feel naked without it and I use it as a very expensive calculator at work. To relate to you, I left my license and debit card in the boy's wallet from the Pats game this past weekend. So those are currently in Boston while I'm in RI. I don't exactly need the debit card, but here's to hoping I don't get pulled over on the short drives I need to do today.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate when I leave my phone anywhere. I feel naked without it and I use it as a very expensive calculator at work. To relate to you, I left my license and debit card in the boy's wallet from the Pats game this past weekend. So those are currently in Boston while I'm in RI. I don't exactly need the debit card, but here's to hoping I don't get pulled over on the short drives I need to do today.
I left my wallet in Ohio a couple months back and got along surprisingly well without it for a week... Android pay is awesome, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I left my wallet in Ohio a couple months back and got along surprisingly well without it for a week... Android pay is awesome, lol.

I haven't set that up yet. Slightly too paranoid. Haha. I do have two other cards I can use so not too worried. Also, they're being overnighted to me so they'll be here tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, we do get some discounts and "freebies (cost still reflected in taxes at end of year)" but not everything and medications still cost money. And specialized treatment still costs us money, for example, a tech I worked with took her cat for radioactive iodine therapy, cost her over $1000.
I scrubbed in and assisted with my mastiff mix's bilateral knee repair (Left TPLO and meniscectomy, Right meniscectomy), had another tech donate time off the clock to monitor anesthesia (though, I can't swear he was allowed to donate time, in fact with the glares I gave him whenever the heart rate slowed or sped up too much, I hope he was paid Lol), so I basically got half price and still paid around $2000. Yup, even we get to pay for vet care.

NYC is going to be the most challenging and logistically difficult move I've done yet. Why does it have to be so difficult to find some place to live, so darn expensive, with so many hoops?? Argh

That's really nice! We 'only' offer a 20% discount. I wish we offered more.

And that was after I had called at least twice asking for their recs on what to do with him at that point :laugh: I wrote them all an individual card and then saw the super sweet tech from that night at a continuing ed conference and she actually remembered me/him (or did a great job of pretending!) I dunno what it'd be if I had to bring him there for internal med, for example, but I know our local cardio, derm and ortho groups offer basically free exams and meds for cheap.

On the flip side, my new place doesn't offer discounts to anyone for anything, including docs :lame: I'm looking into pet insurance...

And that was after I had called at least twice asking for their recs on what to do with him at that point :laugh: I wrote them all an individual card and then saw the super sweet tech from that night at a continuing ed conference and she actually remembered me/him (or did a great job of pretending!) I dunno what it'd be if I had to bring him there for internal med, for example, but I know our local cardio, derm and ortho groups offer basically free exams and meds for cheap.

On the flip side, my new place doesn't offer discounts to anyone for anything, including docs :lame: I'm looking into pet insurance...

Happy to share my experience with Healthy Paws if you wanna hear! Just hit me up if so.

NYC is going to be the most challenging and logistically difficult move I've done yet. Why does it have to be so difficult to find some place to live, so darn expensive, with so many hoops?? Argh
Are you moving already????? Please don't tell me you are changing residency locations?

Ack, I'm glad you're mostly okay :(
I've had worse injuries, by far. Heading to hot yoga tomorrow with the boyfriend to try to stretch out some tight muscles. I'm trying to use all this as a positive actually, to trade in my SUV for something smaller and more city appropriate (and hopefully cheaper and better on gas) since a lot 9f the reasons I bought an SUV no longer apply. No on-call in blizzards, no large animal med kit to haul around, no driving out to butt-**** nowhere in the middle of winter.

By far the thing that's hurt the most is a long time friend (15 years plus) hasn't sent me so much as a " Glad you're okay!" text...

I'm currently battling with Nationwide because they denied my claim that should have been covered. Gingival hyperplasia is a preexisting condition for us and even though the vet who did his dental outlined that all therapy was for resorptive lesions. she did briefly mention on the dental chart there was very mild gingival hyperplasia, and now Nationwide is trying to say that all the costs were attributed to gingival hyperplasia/complications of gingival hyperplasia (spoiler: they were NOT). The vet sent them a second stern letter outlining every medical decision she made and how it was explicitly not related to gingival hyperplasia but they still haven't gotten back to me yet. Next dog I'm probably going with Trupanion.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged...
Omg really?? If it isn't too personal, can I ask the reason why?

Not going to lie, we are all going to miss you. You're one of the nicest residents around!

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiance is insisting I am far above the average # of pets for someone in the veterinary world (I have four animals). Spoiler alert, I'm the only person he actually knows in the veterinary world.

How many pet do you guys have?

Just checking in on the vet peeps!! Glad to see some familiar faces still here :hardy:

Reactions: 5 users
My fiance is insisting I am far above the average # of pets for someone in the veterinary world (I have four animals). Spoiler alert, I'm the only person he actually knows in the veterinary world.

Two cats, one dog, one snake. At our highest number in recent years we had two cats, two dogs, one snake, one guinea pig, some fish.

I just have the one dog. It's been great to only have one smallish pet during the internship-residency process. I have had much fewer stresses moving around than some of my internmates and residentmates who have multiple animals, oversize dogs, 'dangerous breeds', or special needs pets that need specialized care.

After residency I'm getting a horse, but even then I'll only have the two animals. I'm a one dog person.

three ferrets, one dickbag snake, two cats. Plus a couple extra snakes in my basement that I'm harboring for a friend.

Reactions: 3 users

One dog, 3 cats, bunch of fish, down to 10 goats, no cows, 2 rabbits, and 1 snail.

I only have 1, but my internmate had 13 cats and a dog, and one of our students has 50-100 snakes

Omg really?? If it isn't too personal, can I ask the reason why?

Not going to lie, we are all going to miss you. You're one of the nicest residents around!
I think all I should say publicly is that I'm transferring due to changes in the ECC program here, but I'm happy to talk more details if you (or anyone else who is curious) wants to message

3 cats and 1 dog, but one of those cats stays with my husband. But then again one of the ones I do have is enough of a food-obsessed maniac lunatic eating machine monster that he's a-hole enough to count as like 3 cats on his own. He recently figured out how to open the lid on the kitchen garbage can and get stuff out of it without knocking it over, so until I get a new one, I have to weigh the lid down with cans of tomato sauce. You'd think the freaking beagle would be the problem in this house, but it has to be the orange tabby who would happily eat himself to death if a human didn't intervene.

And then yesterday the normal cat and the dog both vomited right after they ate, about 2 minutes apart, so I had to intercept the food-monster-cat and toss him into the dog crate before he ran over to eat it all. The instant he hears retching, he comes bolting over and gets in whoever's face waiting for the goodies to come out. And even though he's chewed into the dog's barfed up zonisamide and spit it out after realizing the powder is kind of gross, that still doesn't deter him from eating around the capsule buried in the vomitus if he beats me to the pile.

I have so much fun at home with these furry jerks who I still inexplicably love.

Reactions: 1 users

That lives with me: one dog. But I also have a cat and a horse who both have been displaced from my care by vet school. And really at any given moment I'm just a mental breakdown away from getting another weim, a kitten, a pair of sugar gliders, and a dozen hens.

2 dogs and 3 cats however I only contributed 1 dog and 1 cat to the mix (the other 3 were my now-husband's contribution).

2 dogs and 2 cats. It's not that many in general, IMO, much less in the veterinary world.

My dog gets to spend the next 48 hr at work on IVF due to him getting into the trash. Of course trash contained grapes. He puked up a good bit of stuff including grapes but not all of them. I swear if he gets CKD or needs sx from this I'm going to be so mad at myself.

I hope you're renaming him Garfield.

Garfield was kind of lazy in his pursuit of food. My cat is like T-1000 from Terminator 2. His most common nickname is Piggy, but when I'm not annoyed with him, he's Piglet, Slobbo, the Hambulance, and Hamulus (thank you for that one, 1st year anatomy).

Reactions: 4 users
My dog gets to spend the next 48 hr at work on IVF due to him getting into the trash. Of course trash contained grapes. He puked up a good bit of stuff including grapes but not all of them. I swear if he gets CKD or needs sx from this I'm going to be so mad at myself.

Hang in there. I can count on one hand the number of appropriately treated dogs who have gotten AKI (not CKD.....) from grape ingestion, and I see it pretty much at least once/week. I hate unknowns / idiosyncratics like that, though, too.

And I don't need any fingers on the hand. :)

Hang in there. I can count on one hand the number of appropriately treated dogs who have gotten AKI (not CKD.....) from grape ingestion, and I see it pretty much at least once/week. I hate unknowns / idiosyncratics like that, though, too.

And I don't need any fingers on the hand. :)

Oh I know. We probably see grapes several times a week as well. Heck, I had a cat with known lily ingestion come through unscathed the other week. I'm only freaking out cause it's my dog and I am no longer rational about it.

Curiosity: What are other practicing vets annual renewals costing them? I just renewed:

AVMA - $330 (required because I'm required to carry PLIT, otherwise I'd ditch AVMA in a heartbeat - they definitely don't provide $330 worth of service for me per year)
PLIT - $350
MVMA - $165 (state VMA)
VECCS - $165
VIN - company/group
DEA - $731/3 yrs
License Renewal - I forget

= $1250/yr + license renewal + VIN

I mean, my practice pays the cost of all these, but geez.... seems kinda ridiculous.

One dog and two chinchillas :)

4 and a foster (I count my bettas!).
If you count the snails...too many ;)

Curiosity: What are other practicing vets annual renewals costing them? I just renewed:

AVMA - $330 (required because I'm required to carry PLIT, otherwise I'd ditch AVMA in a heartbeat - they definitely don't provide $330 worth of service for me per year)
PLIT - $350
MVMA - $165 (state VMA)
VECCS - $165
VIN - company/group
DEA - $731/3 yrs
License Renewal - I forget

= $1250/yr + license renewal + VIN

I mean, my practice pays the cost of all these, but geez.... seems kinda ridiculous.

AVMA- not member currently, may change if I need to get PLIT, need to discuss this with my new employer as they stated they covered PLIT but have yet to see any forms for it. Sigh.
PLIT- see above
AzVMA- $325
VIN- covered by previous employer, have to check with current one
DEA- $731/3 years
License Renewal- $400

So $968 (breaking up the $731 by 3) per year, not including figuring out AVMA or PLIT yet.

So yeah, probably close to on par with what you are paying.

Hang in there Elkhart, and PM me if you want to talk at all. Definitely don't sit down and study now if you are anxious, go take a walk or watch a movie and come back to it.

Reactions: 4 users
As the queen of squeaking by, try your best to squeak by. I mean, if you downright want to quit, then you can do it - I know how hard that would be, but it's never NOT an option.

I had to send my transcript somewhere today (I've been promised they don't care about the grades) and I decided to look through it a bit. Fall of 2nd year is a solid WALL of Cs. I was also on probation.

Just gotta squeak by... anyone that throws shame at that doesn't know what it's like to HATE vet school. Eff 'em.

Reactions: 1 users
(Advice given with a grain of salt because I'm obviously not actually in vet school myself)

I assume there are only 6 weeks or so left in your semester. Depending on where you are at emotionally, is 6 weeks of tough schoolwork worth a chance at 30+ years as a veterinarian? Sure you might fail, but there is a really good chance that you will pass. Get some extra help from professors, tutors, and peers. Go see a counselor or similar if you need to so that you can get some things off your chest and have someone who can help you strategize stress reduction techniques. Take a DEEP breath and lots of breaks. YOU GOT THIS!

When I'm having an awful time and get into a self-destructive spiral I like to ask myself: "What's the worst that could happen?" and think through how I would pull myself back together if that terrible thing happened. Mostly because it makes me feel a little less powerless about whatever is going on.

For you, the worst outcome here is failure. You will have wasted your money on the semester, which sucks. If you withdraw, the outcome is basically the same, except you get immediately relieve from the stress and your mental health gets better (although you might have doubts, depression, etc from your decision to withdraw). If you do either of those things, there are still a lot of options open to you:

You can come back next year.
You can take some time off and re-apply in a future year.
If you have spring semester or a year+ off, you can audit classes in subjects you struggled with so you are better prepared next time
You can pursue other careers (Vetmed may be the dream, but I guarantee there are other things out there that would make you happy)

Take some time to reflect on the fact that if you fail (with a big emphasis on IF), that failure is NOT the end of the road. And it's definitely NOT a direct reflection on you.

Also, an anecdote, if it makes you feel any better: In undergrad a girl in my Arabic class was JUST AWFUL. Like nails on the chalkboard to listen to, and always sooooo confused about everything. She was literally worse person in the class both in terms of ability and in her final grade. But, she wanted to work in the Middle East, so she kept taking classes even though they were kicking her ass. It's been more than 10 years since that class we had together, and last month I saw her give a live interview on an Arabic language news program! As far as I know, today she literally speaks Arabic better than anybody who was in our class. I know mastery of one subject is not the same as everything you have to get through in vet school, but I will say that just because you were aren't feeling like you stack up right now doesn't mean that you won't in the future or that you won't go on to do amazing things!

Reactions: 7 users
@Elkhart (or anyone really) if you need help with broad topics in path (general or clinical), just shoot me a message. I'm knee deep in studying gen path for boards so the topic is really fresh. Take care of yourself, first and foremost. But I have faith you can do it! :)

Last edited:
This is supposedly the hardest and most academically grueling semester in terms of pure workload and scheduling. I'm just hoping, praying that there is truth to that. I do take an ounce of comfort in the fact that I don't know a single person in our class who isn't completely stressed out or overwhelmed right now, so... at least I'm not alone?

Hang in there, Elk. At least for us, yes, 2nd year really was the toughest. First year felt tough because of the firehose effect, but second year really was where the firehose got turned on full blast.

Pull out all the stops - talk to your dean of students, student services, professors - whoever it takes to get the help you need. It can only help you. Study your butt off. Believe in yourself. Do not attack yourself over your grades - you're more than your grades and in the super long run grades don't mean bupkis.

Buckle down, you can do it.

Reactions: 6 users
I think that I might have to drop out of vet school. I get so anxious when I sit down to study that it's virtually impossible to actually focus. I can't even look at a lecture right now without feeling like I want to throw up.

In addition to what everyone else has said, consider sitting down with your school's counselor or some other mental health professional. A certain degree of stress and anxiety is arguably "normal" for a vet student, but it shouldn't be crippling. And if it is, find someone who can help you get your head on straight so that you're able to more calmly focus on what you need to.