RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the cancer note, I diagnosed my FOURTH injection site sarcoma today. FOURTH. I was told these things were supposed to be super rare and super uncommon now :( :( I need to stop touching patients that I care about. My tech won't even let me pet her dog on the head right now I'm having such crappy luck.
Oof. That is tough. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. I've switched over to it and don't see what is wrong, but I'm not familiar with the normal look since I use old school.
I switched to the new Dark one and it is still there... maybe it's my browser? Here's a pic of it, idk it's just weird.
Screenshot (4).png

So like, I have State Farm auto insurance. And they were offering a discount to enroll in a program that tracks your driving habits and you can get additional discounts for driving safe or whatever. And I was like, sure!

...after 2 months I've realized that if it's possible for them to RAISE my rates based on this data, they would. They grade different aspects of your driving. It turns out you get a pretty big grade hit for driving over 80 mph (regardless of the actual speed limit of the road you're on). And uh, considering I'm kind of seeing someone who lives 300 miles away right now and I have to do a lot of the driving because of my living circumstances (he can't visit me since I still live with my ex...), and the driving is through some boring flat parts of MO and IA...80 mph is below my average speed on those trips.

WHOOPS

Reactions: 1 user
So like, I have State Farm auto insurance. And they were offering a discount to enroll in a program that tracks your driving habits and you can get additional discounts for driving safe or whatever. And I was like, sure!

...after 2 months I've realized that if it's possible for them to RAISE my rates based on this data, they would. They grade different aspects of your driving. It turns out you get a pretty big grade hit for driving over 80 mph (regardless of the actual speed limit of the road you're on). And uh, considering I'm kind of seeing someone who lives 300 miles away right now and I have to do a lot of the driving because of my living circumstances (he can't visit me since I still live with my ex...), and the driving is through some boring flat parts of MO and IA...80 mph is below my average speed on those trips.

WHOOPS
We got those trackers for a different insurance company. After we got them my dad told my mom and I that we use our breaks too much. He was so obsessed with it that he tested how hard you had to hit your breaks for it to register, and almost every time he used the breaks it registered as a "hard break". So he basically stopped using his breaks, until he rear ended someone. Personally I don't think "breaking hard" makes you a bad driver, it may just mean you are surrounded by bad drivers and animals (deer) that like to run out in the road.

We got those trackers for a different insurance company. After we got them my dad told my mom and I that we use our breaks too much. He was so obsessed with it that he tested how hard you had to hit your breaks for it to register, and almost every time he used the breaks it registered as a "hard break". So he basically stopped using his breaks, until he rear ended someone. Personally I don't think "breaking hard" makes you a bad driver, it may just mean you are surrounded by bad drivers and animals (deer) that like to run out in the road.
giphy.gif

WHOOPS
Progressive offers a similar program. I declined because I also average 85 on interstate freeways. Heeeeeeell no I didn't want them tracking my driving record.

WHOOPS

I had state farm and told them to **** off after they misquoted my insurance amount and tried to triple it.... went from $115/month to $350/month... hahha, **** no. But they tried to push that stupid good driver tracker on me too.... dude my normal speed and the normal speed in this state is whatever the **** you feel like driving and traffic will allow which is often 10-25mph over the speed limit. And on the freeway... that doesn't have a speed limit. Now I know why all the snowbirds are slow as **** and can't make a turn without breaking from 1/2 a mile away.

Reactions: 1 users
I refuse to use the trackers because I'm an aggressive driver and I know they would increase my rates if they could. Lol however, of all the major insurance companies, State farm is the one I use because they won't use after market parts on my vehicle if I'm ever in an accident.

But I also came here cuz I need to vent about something probably petty. Lol
I've been looking for a job for the past month now and I am so sick of seeing ads that say "entry level position. 10/hr. (Minimum wage in AZ) Must have 1 year experience." Does amyone else see the frustration? Or am i just whining? "/

I refuse to use the trackers because I'm an aggressive driver and I know they would increase my rates if they could. Lol however, of all the major insurance companies, State farm is the one I use because they won't use after market parts on my vehicle if I'm ever in an accident.

But I also came here cuz I need to vent about something probably petty. Lol
I've been looking for a job for the past month now and I am so sick of seeing ads that say "entry level position. 10/hr. (Minimum wage in AZ) Must have 1 year experience." Does amyone else see the frustration? Or am i just whining? "/

What kind of job are you looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of job are you looking for?

I'm trying to get into the animal field. I'm in the middle of switching careers from auto collision to here. I've got volunteer experience at the Phoenix zoo and wild life, as well as Odysea and I worked briefly part time as a bather in petsmart. But I have nothing as far as clinic, hospital, and shelter go.... and I would like to find a job there if possible because I think I would enjoy it.... My problem that I'm running into right now is I start school in January, so I need a schedule that will work around school but also, I have bills so starting at 10/hr will be hard to do unless it is close to home so that I don't have to spend money on gas. I applied to Maricopa county shelter almost 2 months ago and got to an interview just to find out 2 days ago that they loved me but couldn't work with my schedule... That one hurt a little... lol

I'm trying to get into the animal field. I'm in the middle of switching careers from auto collision to here. I've got volunteer experience at the Phoenix zoo and wild life, as well as Odysea and I worked briefly part time as a bather in petsmart. But I have nothing as far as clinic, hospital, and shelter go.... and I would like to find a job there if possible because I think I would enjoy it.... My problem that I'm running into right now is I start school in January, so I need a schedule that will work around school but also, I have bills so starting at 10/hr will be hard to do unless it is close to home so that I don't have to spend money on gas. I applied to Maricopa county shelter almost 2 months ago and got to an interview just to find out 2 days ago that they loved me but couldn't work with my schedule... That one hurt a little... lol

In this area, you are unlikely to get more than $10-11/hr with no experience working with animals in a clinic, hospital or shelter. You can try, but it probably won't happen. You will either need two part-time jobs (one that pays more but isn't animal related) and take on the animal-related job in order to pay bills or get a higher paying full time job in something else and shadow at a clinic, hospital or shelter to get experience.

My dog went down last night. Just...went down. Acute hind limb with no conscious proprioception. He's hospitalized right now and I am seriously struggling to hold it together. They're thinking FCE but it could be IVDD as well, we just don't know yet.

On the cancer note, I diagnosed my FOURTH injection site sarcoma today. FOURTH. I was told these things were supposed to be super rare and super uncommon now :( :( I need to stop touching patients that I care about. My tech won't even let me pet her dog on the head right now I'm having such crappy luck.

Wow. I have yet to see one in the wild.

I wonder if there's a contributing factor?

Wow. I have yet to see one in the wild.

I wonder if there's a contributing factor?

Ugh, wish I knew.
They've all been older indoor/outdoor or strictly outdoor cats that have had vaccines given by other clinics before us or were adult strays. Common theme is crappy record keeping- just "rabies" or "leuk" without manufacturers- I'd be shocked if they were non-adjuvanted.

I've had two right rears, a left rear, and now a right shoulder. All but the right shoulder were confirmed with histopath, I haven't taken the right shoulder one off yet but nasty looking on cytology, likely fibrosarcoma. For the right shoulder one, he's gotten distemper vax from us over the past few years, also gets Program injections with some regularity, but was first seen by us as an adult cat. The mass is higher than I generally inject- I'm anal about doing as distal as possible unless patient is trying to kill me. Even cerenia/convenia I try to go low :(

Last edited:
Ugh, wish I knew.
They've all been older indoor/outdoor or strictly outdoor cats that have had vaccines given by other clinics before us or were adult strays. Common theme is crappy record keeping- just "rabies" or "leuk" without manufacturers- I'd be shocked if they were non-adjuvanted.

I've had two right rears, a left rear, and now a right shoulder. All but the right shoulder were confirmed with histopath, I haven't taken the right shoulder one off yet but nasty looking on cytology, likely fibrosarcoma. For the right shoulder one, he's gotten distemper vax from us over the past few years, also gets Program injections with some regularity, but was first seen by us as an adult cat. The mass is higher than I generally inject- I'm anal about doing as distal as possible unless patient is trying to kill me. Even cerenia/convenia I try to go low :(
Tbh, I don't use purevax. I just wonder if they are using some of the less common vaccine types. Like, the major companies these days basically are as careful as possible.

Isn't there an injection now or a drug or something that you can give to help reduce spread after mass removal?

Tbh, I don't use purevax. I just wonder if they are using some of the less common vaccine types. Like, the major companies these days basically are as careful as possible.

Isn't there an injection now or a drug or something that you can give to help reduce spread after mass removal?

I've seen a few references to using Palladia but some of the data is meh. Biggest reccomendation is still giant margins/amputation/scapulectomy/whatever. I had one that went for radiation after but CT showed chest mets so they didn't go through with it. Others have had cost as an issue. The current shoulder one no-showed for their surgery appointment today so there's that.

We carry a mix of vaccine types. Purevax rabies and Nobivac HCP for "indoor cats." , but we have a large portion of our clientele with barn cats and such that get FVRCP and Imrab. Even the Purevax I give distal because cats are stupid and do stupid things.

I had two more dogs diagnosed with leptospirosis. No sign of this stupid outbreak slowing down anytime soon.

I admitted a 15 week old puppy with high suspicions of it the other day. Positive on in house test and reading the text book for it regards to bloodwork and urinalysis. Anuric within 36 hr and arrested on his own. Confirmed on PCR. Think a work buddy just euthanized another one for the same thing. :(

I had two more dogs diagnosed with leptospirosis. No sign of this stupid outbreak slowing down anytime soon.
One at our clinic too

It peed everywhere in the clinic, and then the doctor asked me to call for vaccine records, and realized it might be lepto suspect. I was cleaning everything like crazy when I realized no one at my new job understood what protocol should be.

I've seen a few references to using Palladia but some of the data is meh. Biggest reccomendation is still giant margins/amputation/scapulectomy/whatever. I had one that went for radiation after but CT showed chest mets so they didn't go through with it. Others have had cost as an issue. The current shoulder one no-showed for their surgery appointment today so there's that.

We carry a mix of vaccine types. Purevax rabies and Nobivac HCP for "indoor cats." , but we have a large portion of our clientele with barn cats and such that get FVRCP and Imrab. Even the Purevax I give distal because cats are stupid and do stupid things.
There's an il-2 modulator that merial or someone makes that you injection locally after resection. It's supposed to increase disease free interval or something.

My dog went down last night. Just...went down. Acute hind limb with no conscious proprioception. He's hospitalized right now and I am seriously struggling to hold it together. They're thinking FCE but it could be IVDD as well, we just don't know yet.
How is your pup doing? Fingers crossed. Neuro stuff is scary.

Have you tried the AZ Humane Society (south mountain)? I volunteer there in the summer and they usually have assistant/tech openings. Not sure where you live in the Phoenix area but the AZHS South Mountain campus is in the same area as MCACC, just a little farther south. AZHS has another location in N. Phoenix too.

@flameshock ... sending you and your dog lots of good thoughts - very sorry.

Hope things get better.

I bought a selection of beers to try and the expensive one that the clerk recommended is gross :cryi:

ETA: Upon closer inspection what I was told was a sour was in reality a double IPA. Normally I would pour it out but I don't want to pour $10 down the drain...

ETA 2.0: My mom can apparently stomach it so free $10 beer to her.

ETA 3.0: Happy beer happy life. Much better use of the more traditional saying!

ETA 4.0: This has progressed to where I may be adding another sad Ferny update upon morning.

ETA 5.0: Sad morning update. Haven't been properly hungover in almost a year. Bleh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Today was absolutely horrible. Euthanized 3 of the first 4 patients I saw,have two fever of unknown origins in two older dogs so I feel like I'm just trying to find their cancer and sent an anaphylactic dog home AMA. I also got maybe 1 hr of sleep. That's mainly fault but I'm done picking up extra shifts for a while....

How I Met Your Mother apparently has left Netflix as of November 13th, which I'm salty about because I was watching it for the first time so now I have to find it somewhere else to watch BUUUUUUUT I don't know exactly what episode I was on to start back up because it's freakin GONE now. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Netflix really needs to have a notice like "hey! This show that you're watching is gonna be leaving Netflix soon! Remember where you are or binge watch 7 seasons in the next two weeks!!"

How I Met Your Mother apparently has left Netflix as of November 13th, which I'm salty about because I was watching it for the first time so now I have to find it somewhere else to watch BUUUUUUUT I don't know exactly what episode I was on to start back up because it's freakin GONE now. :rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Netflix really needs to have a notice like "hey! This show that you're watching is gonna be leaving Netflix soon! Remember where you are or binge watch 7 seasons in the next two weeks!!"
Right?!! I just checked my Hulu account though and they have all of the episodes :)

Tis that time of year... last week we had 6 euthanasias where we normally will have one, if not any during the course of a week (GP). Of course one was a bullmastiff that was so sweet and had the nicest owners that I diagnosed likely osteosarcoma. To top it off, my dad is euthanizing their family dog today... Much sadness this time of year.
-- Right after I posted this I found out another patient was euthanized over the weekend... :/

Last edited:
Can you stay home and rest today?

View attachment 225661

Hope you feel better soon! :)
thanks doc S! I went into work for my hospitalized patients but tapped out for the afternoon when I felt progressively worse. I'm off tomorrow so should be sleeping it off I hope. :)

My sister and brother-in-law closed on a new house in the country near where I grew up less than a month ago. Yesterday, wildfires broke out several miles from their house. Overnight the volunteer firefighters got better control of it when it was two miles from my sister’s, and it was slowly creeping in the opposite direction. Late this morning the winds shifted and now it’s reigniting and headed directly towards their new house. It’s currently about a mile from their place. They’ve grabbed the dogs and vital documents and had to evacuate. Now we just have to hope and pray the firefighters can stop it and save their house. I’m glad I’m going home early Thursday morning for whatever happens!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

F*** that guy

Is he the owner? Or your boss? If he's going to be like that, you should consider making hostile work environment complaint to whoever is in charge.

(I'd probably just tell him to f*** off to his face, but that probably would not go over well.)

My sister and brother-in-law closed on a new house in the country near where I grew up less than a month ago. Yesterday, wildfires broke out several miles from their house. Overnight the volunteer firefighters got better control of it when it was two miles from my sister’s, and it was slowly creeping in the opposite direction. Late this morning the winds shifted and now it’s reigniting and headed directly towards their new house. It’s currently about a mile from their place. They’ve grabbed the dogs and vital documents and had to evacuate. Now we just have to hope and pray the firefighters can stop it and save their house. I’m glad I’m going home early Thursday morning for whatever happens!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ugh, sorry. Our property caught on fire once growing up - turned out ok, but burned several acres of our property within sight of our house and it was really scary!

If their house makes it through ok they should consider asking the fire department to come out and do an assessment for their property. They did that for us and gave us a list of improvements we could make to the landscaping and to the house that would make it more likely to be unaffected by a forest fire, even if everything burned down around it.

F*** that guy

Is he the owner? Or your boss? If he's going to be like that, you should consider making hostile work environment complaint to whoever is in charge.

(I'd probably just tell him to f*** off to his face, but that probably would not go over well.)
My somewhat milder advice would be to look into other positions available at different places in your area. :p

Is there any reason you NEED to stay there? That is plain old verbal abuse, and incredibly unacceptable. Agree that if he is not top of the pecking order, a complaint would be appropriate to someone above him.

Reactions: 1 users
ugh, sorry. Our property caught on fire once growing up - turned out ok, but burned several acres of our property within sight of our house and it was really scary!

If their house makes it through ok they should consider asking the fire department to come out and do an assessment for their property. They did that for us and gave us a list of improvements we could make to the landscaping and to the house that would make it more likely to be unaffected by a forest fire, even if everything burned down around it.
Thanks. They live in the country and the nearby town only has 280 people, so I'm not sure if that's an option since there isn't any official fire department, but I'll mention it! I know my brother in law is part of the volunteer fire department in the area, so he may know someone. Sister texted a few minutes ago and said they think they have it contained for now and they're just waiting to see if anything flares back up, so it's looking promising.

My somewhat milder advice would be to look into other positions available at different places in your area. :p

Is there any reason you NEED to stay there? That is plain old verbal abuse, and incredibly unacceptable. Agree that if he is not top of the pecking order, a complaint would be appropriate to someone above him.

I prefer to go nuclear.:boom:

He shouldn't be allowed to get away with being a misogynist jerk. Might be easier to find a new job elsewhere, but I'd be inclined to make an official complaint even if I were leaving.

Thanks. They live in the country and the nearby town only has 280 people, so I'm not sure if that's an option since there isn't any official fire department, but I'll mention it! I know my brother in law is part of the volunteer fire department in the area, so he may know someone. Sister texted a few minutes ago and said they think they have it contained for now and they're just waiting to see if anything flares back up, so it's looking promising.

Hm... I would think he might know somebody if he does that. There were about 400 people over 20 square miles where I grew up - the fire department guy may have been a volunteer. They might also try their home insurance company? My parents are building a house right now in the middle of nowhere and the insurance company gave them some guidelines (I think they might not have been insurable otherwise? Or maybe it just would have been prohibitively expensive).

Things included a metal roof and some distance between their house and the surrounding forest. Maybe something like nothing within 10 yards, certain plants (shrubs? more spaced out trees? things that weren't as flammable?) in the 25 range, and natural environment ok at 50. I have no idea if those were the distances, but that was the gist of it. I know when our property caught on fire they had some specific suggestions about the landscaping - some of the plants that were close to the house were much more flammable than average.