RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in PNW and shake out my shoes anytime they have been in the garage/basement/not directly on my front door shoe rack.

Black widows are pretty common, but I've never found one inside the house. I'm pretty sure I've found a recluse inside though.

Boss man accidentally found out my aversion to spiders after I picked up a cup with a wolf spider in it. Now every time a large spider is found he arranges for it to end up in my near vicinity. Bleh.

I'd quit my job.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scorpions? Black Widows?

Good grief. Yet another reason not to leave Minnesota. None of the wildlife here usually kill people. Even our bears are usually friendly.

Reactions: 4 users
Scorpions? Black Widows?

Good grief. Yet another reason not to leave Minnesota. None of the wildlife here usually kill people. Even our bears are usually friendly.

Eh, scorpion stings don't really kill... unless severely allergic. Even the bark scorpion which has the worst venom. It'll hurt for sure, but you're unlikely to die from it, I'd be surprised if a hospital would even keep you hospitalized from a scorpion sting. People overreact with scorpions. I'd be more worried about the black widow, but even that, death by black widow bite is extremely rare.

Snakes, though, those exist around here. I've never seen one though.

Reactions: 1 user
I was not a fan of the scorpions. I am not a scaredy cat or anything, but they are one that I have a definite dislike for. haha
I went on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon this summer. I'm pretty sure I got stung by one, but I never saw it (it was at night). It was fascinating! - sharp pain at my finger tip followed by burning paresthesia all the way up my ulnar nerve to mid-humerus. Finger got numb and stayed that way for almost 3 days - couldn't feel touch, heat or cold, and only pain if I really bit down on it hard. Paresthesia took a full 24 hours to go away in my arm (2 months later, I still have a little of it in my fingertip). I'm just glad I didn't get systemic signs, because I was really enjoying my vacation and definitely didn't want to leave early.

Scorpions? Black Widows?

Are you sure they're friendly? What if they're just Minnesota nice?

Eh, scorpion stings don't really kill... unless severely allergic. Even the bark scorpion which has the worst venom. It'll hurt for sure, but you're unlikely to die from it, I'd be surprised if a hospital would even keep you hospitalized from a scorpion sting. People overreact with scorpions. I'd be more worried about the black widow, but even that, death by black widow bite is extremely rare.

I used to see them a lot when I lived in Phoenix, but I was out in a not-well-developed area. Used to see them warming themselves on the road at night a ton.

Interestingly, though, I think I've personally seen rattlers more frequently in CO than I ever did in TX or AZ.

Members don't see this ad :)

Pretty sure that deaths from black widow bites are usually in people who end up having an allergy or special sensitivity to the venom. I remember reading that somewhere, though lbh who knows how good that source was.

From stories of people I know who have been bitten, it usually just makes you so sick you want to die. Not like that really sounds like a good time either.

I found a black widow on my girl scout tent frame as a child. I was super excited which says... something about me, lol.

I think scorpions are neat and rescue spidersbros constantly. Do we need to bump the thread? ;)

Pretty sure that deaths from black widow bites are usually in people who end up having an allergy or special sensitivity to the venom. I remember reading that somewhere, though lbh who knows how good that source was.

From stories of people I know who have been bitten, it usually just makes you so sick you want to die. Not like that really sounds like a good time either.

Many times they won't actually inject the venom when biting. Unless they feel very threatened. The venom is actually more toxic than that of a rattlesnake. Still most people get medical treatment and are just fine. Compared to a scorpion sting in which you really don't need to seek medical treatment for.

Wait, isn't AZ famous for those teeny tiny really poisonous scorpions? We were always told to steer very clear of their habitat. And yeup, saw lots of black widows. They give me the creeps for some reason...unlike the cute little black and white fuzzy spiders. never saw snakes in AZ, but recently hubby killed a rattler on our walkway to the garage (in the very middle of Texas)

So Yesterday I read A woman burned her roommate dog "Ferret" Alive in the oven.
She is a mom to be by the way! Hope they take the baby as soon as she delivers it!

I was sad and mad.
Then I read in the comments, one guy saying it's just a ferret, like a squirrel, just let her pay 500 dollars and let her go!

Why are people like.

Not the psycho who killed the poor dog but the random people who say not a big deal!
:yeahright::unsure:

Frustrated I didn't get into Biochemistry. It messes up my entire plan to finish everything in three years. Now I have to take Physics I instead with the worst teacher known to mankind (average is 50 or lower on his tests). I HATE physics! I just do not get it. I was putting it off until the third year hoping that professor wouldn't be teaching it anymore by then. I do not need that class messing up my GPA just because he can't teach or put problems on the test that at least a few people could work! Tutoring here I come! (I have heard that doesn't even do any good with him because his tests appear to have nothing to do with the material covered.) Oh, I can't take it elsewhere because my plan says I have to take all my sciences here.

Just had the worst euthanasia experience ever. Catheter blew/pulled out somehow and then o wouldn't let me take him to get a new one placed. My texhs went into to replace it and the dog freaks out the whole but then o again won't let us take him. My boss hears it all and makes a comment and it just sucks...

Frustrated I didn't get into Biochemistry. It messes up my entire plan to finish everything in three years. Now I have to take Physics I instead with the worst teacher known to mankind (average is 50 or lower on his tests). I HATE physics! I just do not get it. I was putting it off until the third year hoping that professor wouldn't be teaching it anymore by then. I do not need that class messing up my GPA just because he can't teach or put problems on the test that at least a few people could work! Tutoring here I come! (I have heard that doesn't even do any good with him because his tests appear to have nothing to do with the material covered.) Oh, I can't take it elsewhere because my plan says I have to take all my sciences here.
Waitlist for biochem and go the first day of lecture. You might be able to get an override from the instructor allowing you to take it now. You could also try emailing the professor, but everyone I've had has always said to waitlist myself and show up the first day. And hey, who knows. Someone might drop the class before the semester starts and you might get to add before the first day.

My glue gun exploded tonight with sparks, a fireball, smoke....

Fun times.

Waitlist for biochem and go the first day of lecture. You might be able to get an override from the instructor allowing you to take it now. You could also try emailing the professor, but everyone I've had has always said to waitlist myself and show up the first day. And hey, who knows. Someone might drop the class before the semester starts and you might get to add before the first day.
My personal experience has been, skip the email, and go talk to the biochem professor face-to-face. It shows that you are really interested and dedicated. I had a professor let me in specifically because I took the time to go see him in person over sending an email.

^^I went about 30 min after I found out I couldn't get in and talked to her. She wasn't very encouraging. She put me on the waiting list. All the spots left are reserved for bio majors. She said that after all the bio majors registered then she would open up the waiting list but I'm pretty far down the list (since I'm a freshman but I'm the top of the freshman list). Only one section is the problem. Labs are filling too.

^^I went about 30 min after I found out I couldn't get in and talked to her. She wasn't very encouraging. She put me on the waiting list. All the spots left are reserved for bio majors. She said that after all the bio majors registered then she would open up the waiting list but I'm pretty far down the list (since I'm a freshman but I'm the top of the freshman list). Only one section is the problem. Labs are filling too.
Well apparently it's time to change your major ;)

Holy crap! How??? Are you okay?

I'm okay.

Apparently they explode quite frequently. I'm just glad I wasn't holding it when it decided to self destruct. I'm also glad the sparks didn't burn holes in my furniture.

Just had the worst euthanasia experience ever. Catheter blew/pulled out somehow and then o wouldn't let me take him to get a new one placed. My texhs went into to replace it and the dog freaks out the whole but then o again won't let us take him. My boss hears it all and makes a comment and it just sucks...

During my rotating internship, some people came in to have this really ancient dog euthanized. The dog was vocalizing the whole time it was in the hospital including when I took him back to place the IV catheter. I was on the floor with the dog placing the catheter while one of my techs restrained him, and suddenly I notice another person beside me....the owner. She had busted through the treatment room door and was yelling at me to STOP RIGHT NOW. I had the catheter IN the dog's vein and there was blood coming out. She basically pushed both me and my tech out of the way and demanded to take her dog and said that she didn't trust us because I "seemed to be having a difficult time with this." I asked if I could at least place a bandage before the dog left because you know, there was blood. But she said no, and just left with the dog. I uh....yeah. That was interesting.

My dad is a mechanical engineer. He has built computers from scratch and designed nuclear power plants. Yet, I need to stop what I'm doing and make him dinner because he doesn't know how to use our microwave.

My mom and dad are currently arguing about BS. My dad wants to know why my mom won't jump up and do his laundry for him.

So I had an owner take her one dog up to Tufts for a necropsy as she wanted toxicology testing done. The dog and his housemate came in after both vomiting/collapsing after ingesting this weird sausage looking object. The one dog presented as a DOA and the other we admitted for monitoring to be on the safe side. Just got the final report and the dog was actually posioned. Both his tissue samples and the meat object tested positive for cyanide. I feel horrible for the ower...

I'm having an I hate people day. Seriously. Why are people so stupid? If you couldn't breathe, would you go to the ER or wait 4 days?? Why are there so many euthanasias this time of year? Why is NOW the time to euthanise your dog that has had a necrotic tumor for almost 2 years? And no, I'm not killing your dog because it has fleas and you don't want to treat them, even if you are only in my office because Animal Control made you come here. And why does everything I touch have cancer? I'm tired of having the tumor talk and trying to find non existent surgical slots in our overbooked schedule.
GAHHHHHHHHH. I need stress relief, ASAP. 16 days until my beach house getaway.

Reactions: 2 users
So I had an owner take her one dog up to Tufts for a necropsy as she wanted toxicology testing done. The dog and his housemate came in after both vomiting/collapsing after ingesting this weird sausage looking object. The one dog presented as a DOA and the other we admitted for monitoring to be on the safe side. Just got the final report and the dog was actually posioned. Both his tissue samples and the meat object tested positive for cyanide. I feel horrible for the ower...

:( That's so awful

Do they know where the mystery meat came from?

Apparently at least two dogs have been poisoned at the Wiss in the past week. :( I don't think they have ID'd the toxin or the exact source yet though.

I'm having an I hate people day. Seriously. Why are people so stupid? If you couldn't breathe, would you go to the ER or wait 4 days?? Why are there so many euthanasias this time of year? Why is NOW the time to euthanise your dog that has had a necrotic tumor for almost 2 years? And no, I'm not killing your dog because it has fleas and you don't want to treat them, even if you are only in my office because Animal Control made you come here. And why does everything I touch have cancer? I'm tired of having the tumor talk and trying to find non existent surgical slots in our overbooked schedule.

Word. All of this. I recently had a 6yo dog in whose owner thought it was constipated. Every lymph now enlarged, owner convinced in telling her about cancer just to make money, she finally agreed to testing....lymphoma. Way too young.

I had a dry FIP case recently. An anal gland tumor that was actually a mast cell. Euthanized a diabetic dog today because owner can't treat. This "season" ****ing sucks.

Oh and the necrotic mass thing....what is it with people thinking that having an oozing mass hanging off a limb, face, ear, mammary gland whatever for months on end is acceptable? I had one where they only finally euthanized because the mass ruptured an arterial bleed and the dog was in shock from blood loss.

Reactions: 2 users
Got a manuscript rejection today. I'm not entirely surprised, but I wish it hadn't taken 3 months. Now I need to revise and resubmit elsewhere...oh, but wait, I'm on clinics continuously until next April (when I get off to study for boards)...and oh, but wait, I don't even get to take that board exam unless I have a manuscript accepted.

Word. All of this. I recently had a 6yo dog in whose owner thought it was constipated. Every lymph now enlarged, owner convinced in telling her about cancer just to make money, she finally agreed to testing....lymphoma. Way too young.

I had a dry FIP case recently. An anal gland tumor that was actually a mast cell. Euthanized a diabetic dog today because owner can't treat. This "season" ****ing sucks.
Yup. Every "benign wart" I touch magically becomes a mast cell tumor. Every "tick bite" is a mast cell tumor. Every not eating case has either been lymphoma or HSA. I've seen EIGHT oral masses less than two weeks. Oh, and the young adult limping dog was OSA, not a freaking cruciate like it should have been.

And yeah, stupid FIP. Lost a kitten today to what I'm assuming was effusive form today. Pleural effusion, couldn't see the heart, only about a centimeter of visible lung field. Coded as the owner was giving me the okay to euth.

Do they know where the mystery meat came from?

Apparently at least two dogs have been poisoned at the Wiss in the past week. :( I don't think they have ID'd the toxin or the exact source yet though.

They're assuming it was in the yard cause the dogs were outside when everything happened but otherwise no.

Yup. Every "benign wart" I touch magically becomes a mast cell tumor. Every "tick bite" is a mast cell tumor. Every not eating case has either been lymphoma or HSA. I've seen EIGHT oral masses less than two weeks. Oh, and the young adult limping dog was OSA, not a freaking cruciate like it should have been.

And yeah, stupid FIP. Lost a kitten today to what I'm assuming was effusive form today. Pleural effusion, couldn't see the heart, only about a centimeter of visible lung field. Coded as the owner was giving me the okay to euth.

Effing sucks. I got slammed last Friday morning, office manager approved an appointment 30 minutes before lunch that I just knew was going to need more than we could provide before the owner came in. Sure enough dog comes in hunched over, panting, I can't hear the damn heat, pale mm, I'm thinking pericardial effusion. Regardless, it needed ER like I told her. To complicate this, the owners are an older lady and her father who are already confused trying to find places. So I gave up my "lunch" a.k.a... attempt to catch up time (which had already been reduced from an hour to 30 minutes because of talking to the owner and the vet school having idiots in reception)... to have them follow me to the ER because the vet school still can't really handle emergencies. Anyway dog died overnight at emergency, they couldn't figure out a cause.... 4 years old and all they have is acute respiratory distress for a diagnosis. Which I get, just frustrating to not know.

Got a manuscript rejection today. I'm not entirely surprised, but I wish it hadn't taken 3 months. Now I need to revise and resubmit elsewhere...oh, but wait, I'm on clinics continuously until next April (when I get off to study for boards)...and oh, but wait, I don't even get to take that board exam unless I have a manuscript accepted.

I can so relate to this. My program (university, not path college) requires three manuscripts and I have exactly zero completed. I have all three cases/topics/whatever picked out and am assimilating information, but I'm waiting on special stains and stuff for a couple parts, and I've hit a wall on one since I can't find any place offering the special I need to prove something. I'm off clinics this week and working on (at least one of) them, but I'm also taking a 2 hour per day research short course that includes homework, preparing a presentation about my research project, writing (another version of) my research proposal (for the style of the course I'm in), doing at least an hour of rounds, and am supposed to be studying for phase 1 boards. I really want to just crawl into bed and do nothing for a night or two.

Hopefully your manuscript only needs minor edits!

I don't know if I'm just pissy because I'm sleepy or if I have an actual right to get annoyed but why do clubs suck so much with communicating?

I woke up to a reply to an e-mail I sent earlier today that basically stated, "like, OMG, are you going to this event?"

Not only did I RSVP and have my name on the final attendance list but my previous message was pretty clear of my intentions to attend (why else would I be trying to get my name on the carpool list). :lame:

Anyone else have weird formatting appearing around quotes? It seems like there is a scroll bar that appears when I am looking at threads. It looks different I don't like it!

On the cancer note, I diagnosed my FOURTH injection site sarcoma today. FOURTH. I was told these things were supposed to be super rare and super uncommon now :( :( I need to stop touching patients that I care about. My tech won't even let me pet her dog on the head right now I'm having such crappy luck.