RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m sorry mixy :(
Long flight delays are the worst
Thanks, it's just annoyingly frustrating when if they would've been somewhat accurate with how long it was gonna take in the first place I could've drove to the next airport and made my original flight and be at my hotel right now. Now I won't get to my hotel til 2amMST. Just a long day, I'm exhausted. Hope your back issues resolve :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I got attacked by sea lice on my cruise yesterday. Sea lice.

SEA. LICE.

....which are apparently baby jellyfish but sea lice sounds worse. It hurts like a bastards. All up my arm

Members don't see this ad :)
I got attacked by sea lice on my cruise yesterday. Sea lice.

SEA. LICE.

....which are apparently baby jellyfish but sea lice sounds worse. It hurts like a bastards. All up my arm
Now you know how the fishes feel. (At AVC there’s a ton of fish research because duh it’s an island and lots of fish geeks are there so we learned a lot about sea lice...)

Reactions: 1 user
I had a new migraine start yesterday. I am currently in a considerable amount of pain. Coupled with the upper respiratory cold whatever that I’ve had for a week...I’d like to request a body with less pain please and thank you.
I’m sorry Kaydubs :(
Enjoy this smol cow

ezgif-1-901c8fe82b.gif

I tried resizing it three times and it is still too large. Sad.

I had a new migraine start yesterday. I am currently in a considerable amount of pain. Coupled with the upper respiratory cold whatever that I’ve had for a week...I’d like to request a body with less pain please and thank you.
Weird, I had an unusually bad migraine start yesterday myself. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I got myself off the couch and to the nearest McD's for a shamrock shake today...surprise, they were out of the shamrock flavor. At least their ice cream machine was actually working though.

Also, doggy has a sizable seroma at her incision site. Doesn't bother her at all, but I'm so tempted to poke it...

I'm super over these Noreasters. I'm the overnight doctor tomorrow and I really don't want to have to go into work at noon or earlier just so I can be there for my shift. One, I know I won't actually be able to sleep in the on-call room. And two, I'm literally going to have to bring a cooler to work for all my meals because I REFUSE to deviate from my plan just because of a snow storm. Although it does look like the total amount has dropped so maybe I'll be okay.

Reactions: 3 users
Semi-rant: I would just like to acknowledge how much it sucks that pre vet students often give themselves NO credit. I feel like I've become completely disillusioned by the whole process because all I can think about is how each B I get makes me less desirable than everyone else. But PEOPLE. We have to hold ourselves to such high standards in order to enter this field, so I get it, but at the same time.....we really need to pat ourselves on the back more often. Most of us are graduating soon with bachelor degrees in difficult fields, and if not, we have at least all taken PLENTY of hard classes to meet pre-reqs. Like who would have thought that I would be able to get a BS in Cell/Molecular Biology?! Why can't I just be proud of that for two seconds? Ugh. Will there ever come a point where I'm satisfied with my success enough to appreciate it?! I'm sure this gets worse in vet school. I'd just like to remind everyone that you are awesome, intelligent, passionate, and much more hard working than most college students probably are. Don't lose sight of the forest!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Semi-rant: I would just like to acknowledge how much it sucks that pre vet students often give themselves NO credit. I feel like I've become completely disillusioned by the whole process because all I can think about is how each B I get makes me less desirable than everyone else. But PEOPLE. We have to hold ourselves to such high standards in order to enter this field, so I get it, but at the same time.....we really need to pat ourselves on the back more often. Most of us are graduating soon with bachelor degrees in difficult fields, and if not, we have at least all taken PLENTY of hard classes to meet pre-reqs. Like who would have thought that I would be able to get a BS in Cell/Molecular Biology?! Why can't I just be proud of that for two seconds? Ugh. Will there ever come a point where I'm satisfied with my success enough to appreciate it?! I'm sure this gets worse in vet school. I'd just like to remind everyone that you are awesome, intelligent, passionate, and much more hard working than most college students probably are. Don't lose sight of the forest!!

BE PROUD OF YOURSELF AND YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS. YOU IS A SMART COOKIE

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This in on: Will Cdo and her family make it to NY?

Last year we tried to go to NYC for Spring Break and everything was cancelled due to Winter Storm Stella.

This year, we got to Washington DC, got on a train, got 10 minutes from the NY border and are now having to turn around because the train tracks were closed due to Winter Storm Toby.

Northerners NO LONGER get to make fun of Southerners for closing everything because of the storms!!!! :mad::rage::punch:
We make fun of you guys for overreacting and closing everything down when there’s like a quarter of an inch of snow

nope. There was less than 2 inches on the ground when they started closing everything!
That’s because they were supposed to get like 8 feet of snow, which many people in New England are now mad they cancelled their plans for the snow forecast and then it didn’t happen

This in on: Will Cdo and her family make it to NY?

Last year we tried to go to NYC for Spring Break and everything was cancelled due to Winter Storm Stella.

This year, we got to Washington DC, got on a train, got 10 minutes from the NY border and are now having to turn around because the train tracks were closed due to Winter Storm Toby.

Northerners NO LONGER get to make fun of Southerners for closing everything because of the storms!!!! :mad::rage::punch:
Ummm... we have like a foot of snow or more. Closing is totally reasonable.

Whatever I’m tired of people always fighting me if I say anything. This happens all the time I’m done.

Whatever I’m tired of people always fighting me if I say anything. This happens all the time I’m done.
Ugh, I'm sorry, I dislike those kind of people too. The ones who think everything has to be a battle to win. Nope, I'd just like to live my life peacefully without these battles pls.

My hangover has morphed into actually being sick and I feel gross. I have a job interview in a few hours that partially rides on me coming across as a freaking ray of sunshine. Acting powers ignite!

My phone finally hit the fritz and is spasming whenever I try to get it to do something to the point of not really being able to do anything with it.

It's nasty and rainy today and supposed to stay that was until the end of the weekend.

:(

My hangover has morphed into actually being sick and I feel gross. I have a job interview in a few hours that partially rides on me coming across as a freaking ray of sunshine. Acting powers ignite!

My phone finally hit the fritz and is spasming whenever I try to get it to do something to the point of not really being able to do anything with it.

It's nasty and rainy today and supposed to stay that was until the end of the weekend.

GOOD LUCK BBC!!!!!!!! GO SHOW THEM HOW YOU ARE A RAY OF SUNSHINE ON THE OUTSIDE EVEN THOUGH YOU FEEL LIKE DEATH ON THE INSIDE!!!!!!

Sorry you don’t feel well. But I have know doubt your beautiful personality will shine through despite your illness. Just let them know, and I’m sure they will understand.

I busted my rear last semester getting good grades, thinking it would help me get scholarships. Excellent grades, zero scholarships.

I've applied for three summer jobs. Been rejected for all three. Struggling to find more opportunities.

Family and friends are fighting for my time and getting mad when I have to study instead.

Someone in my class complained that our group sessions WEREN'T DIFFICULT ENOUGH and so now the prof has exponentially increased their difficulty.

I need summer break. And preferably a source of income during that summer break. And sleep.

Family and friends are fighting for my time and getting mad when I have to study instead.
I feel this

Someone in my class complained that our group sessions WEREN'T DIFFICULT ENOUGH and so now the prof has exponentially increased their difficulty.
Murder them

Reactions: 14 users

I remember the first one so much when I was in school. No one could understand that really I just wanted to sleep and maybe read and put puzzles together.

As for the second one, I'd kill whoever said that. Seriously, who complains about things being too easy?? Ugh.

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh. Well that interview went laughably terribly. :laugh: Found out they had 50 extremely strong applicants as well, so I am fairly confident I will not be getting hired.
I'm sorry :( That's huge that you got an interview, even if they choose someone else. But who knows, maybe it went better than you thought!

I apologize for the long rant but I’m drowning at work.

Working spring break has been a nightmare. We are super understaffed and our owner, who is a retired vet, doesn’t want to hire any new people because a client told her it seems like we have a high turnover rate. We have 130+ dogs between our two buildings, one person has about 60-70 dogs, because we are short staffed in addition to our cleaning list we have to get done daily. Plus she wants to keep daycare open, because “it’s nice to have extra money in the bank” so that’s another 40-50 dogs. We have had four workers have mini panic attacks/ break downs and the others are just barely hanging on/ready to quit. My old knee and hip injury has my whole left side swollen :confused: and I’m getting major burn out, haven’t had a day off in 8 days, the clients are overly rude because we are over booked for spring break. I think the only thing keeping me going is the 12 days I’m taking off in two weeks and the fact that I can’t quit a job without finding another one.
I really like my co-workers but the amount of pain my body is in has me ready to jump ship:(

We've had quiet a few wellness talks about this. Main point: happiness comes before success, not after. You'll do great, believe in yourself.

Reactions: 3 users

Working spring break has been a nightmare. We are super understaffed and our owner, who is a retired vet, doesn’t want to hire any new people because a client told her it seems like we have a high turnover rate. We have 130+ dogs between our two buildings, one person has about 60-70 dogs, because we are short staffed in addition to our cleaning list we have to get done daily. Plus she wants to keep daycare open, because “it’s nice to have extra money in the bank” so that’s another 40-50 dogs. We have had four workers have mini panic attacks/ break downs and the others are just barely hanging on/ready to quit. My old knee and hip injury has my whole left side swollen :confused: and I’m getting major burn out, haven’t had a day off in 8 days, the clients are overly rude because we are over booked for spring break. I think the only thing keeping me going is the 12 days I’m taking off in two weeks and the fact that I can’t quit a job without finding another one.
I really like my co-workers but the amount of pain my body is in has me ready to jump ship:(
Do what’s best for you. Try and talk to the owner and tell her that you guys are being overworked because there aren’t enough staff members and that you may be forced to find a different place of employment if things don’t change because of health reasons. And see if you can find another job if you have to. Hopefully she’ll hire some more staff since you seem to like your current job and coworkers.

Yep, you aren't alone with this one. I actually am in an awkward scuff with some family right now over not being able to skip school and work to go to Disney World on a random Thursday. Just have to laugh it off and remember that it's because they don't really understand

This might just be me but...
Dear receptionists: I don't sign health certificates or vaccine certificates for animals I haven't seen. I don't care if I'm easier to find than the other doctors or that you think "the border never checks anyway", I really have no desire to essentially falsify a medical record for someone else's convenience. No no no no NO!

Reactions: 10 users
Dear receptionists: I don't sign health certificates or vaccine certificates for animals I haven't seen. I don't care if I'm easier to find than the other doctors or that you think "the border never checks anyway", I really have no desire to essentially falsify a medical record for someone else's convenience. No no no no NO!
This reminds me of all of the rescues at work who demand that our vet write health certificates for animals that have infectious diseases and don't currently qualify for a health certificate.

Or, even better, they want her to just write health certificates for future dates so that once the animal is treated they don't have to see another vet to get a certificate, they'll just have one good to go that they can use two months from now. :lame:

My grumpiness stemmed from (having my door shut on my day off...was in the hospital for four hours today despite being, you know, not at work): “Dr., I know it’s your day off but so and so is on the phone.” “I’m not techinically here, could you please take a message?” *blimks* “Dr., so and so is on the phone, they’d like to talk to you.” *areyoudeaforjustignoringmeeeee*
:bang:

Reactions: 4 users

Working spring break has been a nightmare. We are super understaffed and our owner, who is a retired vet, doesn’t want to hire any new people because a client told her it seems like we have a high turnover rate.
Uh... that should be a clear sign to hire more people because your staff is leaving because they are being overworked. High turnover doesn't equal a lot of new people, it means you have people that don't keep working for you very long probably because it's not a good working environment.

Sorry you have to deal with that. The justification for being understaffed though is just mind boggling.

Reactions: 6 users
Uh... that should be a clear sign to hire more people because your staff is leaving because they are being overworked. High turnover doesn't equal a lot of new people, it means you have people that don't keep working for you very long probably because it's not a good working environment.

Sorry you have to deal with that. The justification for being understaffed though is just mind boggling.
Idiots have all kinds of stupid justifications for being understaffed. Once had a supervisor who bragged about how much money he saved in our budget in his short time supervising us. Yeah, he didn't do anything, just refused to hire new people to replace people who quit or got promoted to other positions and through attrition managed to cut a staff that should have been ~35 people down to about 15. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Idiots have all kinds of stupid justifications for being understaffed. Once had a supervisor who bragged about how much money he saved in our budget in his short time supervising us. Yeah, he didn't so anything, just refused to hire new people to replace people who quit or got promoted to other positions and through attrition managed to cut a staff that should have been ~35 people down to about 15. Ridiculous.
My old boss would flat out brag that she was making bank off of us being severely understaffed/overworked. "We're able to function despite having not replaced 2/3 receptionists, 1 tech, and 2 assistants, so we're staying this way! Those paychecks are going straight to my loans." Her idea of 'function' isn't the same as mine, but whatever. I don't know what's going on with the 1000 complaints that were just filed against her for various reasons.

Maybe my past experiences have left me cynical and bitter, but if an owner is refusing to replace staff that are clearly needed, they're probably doing so because of money.

Last edited:
Idiots have all kinds of stupid justifications for being understaffed. Once had a supervisor who bragged about how much money he saved in our budget in his short time supervising us. Yeah, he didn't so anything, just refused to hire new people to replace people who quit or got promoted to other positions and through attrition managed to cut a staff that should have been ~35 people down to about 15. Ridiculous.
OMG, do I work there!???

My clinic has an entirely different problem...we are also always understaffed, but the management team does try to hire replacements. Only they hire the worst people for the job. Then we spend time training them, and they don’t show much improvement (not that they are bad people just really not a goodbye fit for the job. Like at all). But because we’re already short, they take forever to finally fire them. Because I guess in their mind an extra body is better than no one? Which is sometimes the case but usually it’s almost easier when they’re not there causing more problems than necessary. Even when clients complain, every staff member complains, it takes months for them to finally let someone go.

Yeah, overworking people and giving them more than they can literally physically handle is only going to cause more turnover!

And overbooking may be extra money in the bank, but it's counterproductive if the quality of your services suffers in return. I once had to board my dog at a vet hospital I hadn't been to before. When I went to go get him, it took a long time for the staff to bring him up, and there were a lot of people coming in and out of this tiny little hospital. They looked pretty busy. I brought my dog to the car and put his bedding down on the seat and noticed that his bedding reeked of urine. He's literally never had an accident on his bedding anywhere, even when he's had to be in his crate for 8 hours (thanks, school!) and even when he's been in a run or cage at the hospital for extended periods of time. I think they were probably just too busy and understaffed to take care of him properly, and no one said anything to me about him peeing on his bedding, so maybe they didn't even notice. So they got their boarding fee from me, but guess what? I never went back and never will.

My grumpiness stemmed from (having my door shut on my day off...was in the hospital for four hours today despite being, you know, not at work): “Dr., I know it’s your day off but so and so is on the phone.” “I’m not techinically here, could you please take a message?” *blimks* “Dr., so and so is on the phone, they’d like to talk to you.” *areyoudeaforjustignoringmeeeee*
:bang:
This makes me want to stab people. "It's after 5. I'm off. I'm not really here. If it's an emergency, they can go to the e-clinic. If it's not, I'll deal with it when I am really here."

This reminds me of all of the rescues at work who demand that our vet write health certificates for animals that have infectious diseases and don't currently qualify for a health certificate.

Or, even better, they want her to just write health certificates for future dates so that once the animal is treated they don't have to see another vet to get a certificate, they'll just have one good to go that they can use two months from now. :lame:
Or "breeders" that want their form signed saying the puppies are healthy with no problems when they have fleas/undecended testicles/won't check fecal/etc etc.

We actually had to stop giving vaccine folders (you know the Merial ones for tracking your new puppy) because one breeder was doing vaccines herself but telling buyers we had done the vaccine. She didn't even put vial stickers in, just wrote dates so no idea if she was actually doing shots.

This makes me want to stab people. "It's after 5. I'm off. I'm not really here. If it's an emergency, they can go to the e-clinic. If it's not, I'll deal with it when I am really here."
I’ll do you one better. I actually did not need to be in the building as it was my day off. But had to catch up on my files. Like yesterday. I went to work at 6:45am (clinic opens at 9; wanted to avoid people). I left at 11am.

#whatdayoff and yes, I went in to do my records. But I was in my office with my door shut, coat on the whole time, and people wouldn’t leave me alone.

I’ll do you one better. I actually did not need to be in the building as it was my day off. But had to catch up on my files. Like yesterday. I went to work at 6:45am (clinic opens at 9; wanted to avoid people). I left at 11am.

#whatdayoff and yes, I went in to do my records. But I was in my office with my door shut, coat on the whole time, and people wouldn’t leave me alone.
I've definitely had that as well, mostly at my previous job. Didn't help that I didn't have an office. These days my techs do a huge amount of my medical files for me, so I'm usually done them before I leave for the evening.

When my boss does this she usually locks the door to her office and won't answer it if someone knocks lol. She has paper up in the window in her door so its difficult to tell that she's in there unless you look for light from underneath the door.

When my boss does this she usually locks the door to her office and won't answer it if someone knocks lol. She has paper up in the window in her door so its difficult to tell that she's in there unless you look for light from underneath the door.
I've also found that it helps to make plans ahead of time on your days off. We'll sometimes make plans to go see a play or a movie or something together in the afternoon so she can't stay too long and has a good excuse to tell people for why their "wait but it'll just take a minute" can wait until she's back at work.