RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've run out of people in real life to rant to so here I am (probably going to delete).
Hugs! I'm so sorry your kitty isn't doing well. :( I hope the job-related things turn around soon and you can find a better place to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The onco case report that I spent all summer working on and was first author on... was just rejected this week from the journal I submitted it to. Ugh.

So not only did I get kicked out of vet school but the one big accomplishment that I thought that I'd had was ripped away from me. I don't even care anymore. I'm treating the past two years as if they never even happened because, outside of the damn loans, nothing I did at vet school mattered or will have any impact on my life whatsoever.

Oh, and one of our cats was euthanized today. That, too.
Articles get rejected for dumb reasons all the time, I promise it isn't a reflection on you. Discuss it with your coauthors, find another journal, do some edits to target the new one, and submit it again! I'm writing one now we're planning for Vet Clin Path, but if it isn't accepted there we could try JVIM, JAVMA, and/or JVDI.

Reactions: 7 users
The onco case report that I spent all summer working on and was first author on... was just rejected this week from the journal I submitted it to. Ugh.

So not only did I get kicked out of vet school but the one big accomplishment that I thought that I'd had was ripped away from me. I don't even care anymore. I'm treating the past two years as if they never even happened because, outside of the damn loans, nothing I did at vet school mattered or will have any impact on my life whatsoever.

Oh, and one of our cats was euthanized today. That, too.
I'm so sorry about your cat. :(

Every one of the doctorate students in the lab I shadowed had experienced a paper rejection. It's just how the process works, and it's not a reflection on you or your work. Definitely not something to beat yourself up over.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I'm being annoying, but one pound of muscle weighs the same as one pound of fat. Muscle is more DENSE than fat.

@cdoconn A lot of people I know that start working out and building muscle do gain on the scale initially. And there's the idea out there that after a tough work out, your muscles are all inflamed and water-retention-y which can lead to an artificial gain. Keep doing the healthy thing and it will pay off :)
Time of the month also matters, FWIW. The week before my period I routinely put on anywhere from 5-8 lbs and it's always just waterweight, but I always felt super bad about myself until I figured out what it was.
I’m thinking of going extreeeme after spring break (no soda, lots of salad, more vegetables, no comfort food) but @SkiOtter cam attest that when I cut out soda I turn into the spitting image of Satan.

Plus I’m going to be going through a lot in therapy and I comfort eat/ comfort drink Dr. Pepper soooooooo I don’t know how badly I want to push myself.
You could always try My Fitness Pal as well. I have a hard time with strict diets because once you stop them you go right back to your old bad habits. My Fitness Pal helped me a lot with learning how to eat like a normal person and making it more of a lifestyle change than a temporary slim-quick diet. I need to get back to it (stress of vet school has lead to much more stress eating than is even remotely healthy for me), but I felt better about myself when my expectations weren't so severe.

Reactions: 4 users
I finally got a new coffee grinder for my french press, and wanted to stop at the local roaster for beans on my way home from a dog show. They were closed :( :( So I got beans from the grocery store but it's just not the same. Still worlds above the Keurig which is my normal morning go-to out of laziness, but I really had my heart set on a certain local blend tonight :(

Petty rant. My spring break plans fell through. Now one week before I have to figure out what to do. Don't want to go home - too far, can't stay on campus. I think I'm going to head to Colorado State and see if I can crash in the frat house there for a few days and snowboard, then figure out somewhere else free to stay (maybe a cousin in Oklahoma City) before heading back to school. Good thing - I still have a 4.0 so far including the physics class I have dreaded - but it is only my first year. Still don't have a good summer job lined up.

I finally got a new coffee grinder for my french press, and wanted to stop at the local roaster for beans on my way home from a dog show. They were closed :( :( So I got beans from the grocery store but it's just not the same. Still worlds above the Keurig which is my normal morning go-to out of laziness, but I really had my heart set on a certain local blend tonight :(
Where do you like to go? Hubs is a coffee snob and is always looking for more local places :)

About 8 months ago, I slammed my right hip into a counter at work. It hurt for about 6 weeks, then the pain went away. I would feel occasional twinges of pain here and there but nothing awful and I have had sciatic issues in the past. Well fast forward to the last month and this ****er hurts. All the time. Worse at night. This isn't sciatica, no shooting pain and it is deeper pain than what I was having with sciatica. Tonight I have taken 1,000mg acetaminophen and 800mg ibuprofen and I am still in pain. I have put ice on it but nothing.

Between work and all of the BS that I have been needing to keep doing at my house, I literally do not have time for a doctor until next week. Seriously, have not had a day off in 2+ months. I just wish I could find something to take the edge off the pain until I can get it checked out.

About 8 months ago, I slammed my right hip into a counter at work. It hurt for about 6 weeks, then the pain went away. I would feel occasional twinges of pain here and there but nothing awful and I have had sciatic issues in the past. Well fast forward to the last month and this ****er hurts. All the time. Worse at night. This isn't sciatica, no shooting pain and it is deeper pain than what I was having with sciatica. Tonight I have taken 1,000mg acetaminophen and 800mg ibuprofen and I am still in pain. I have put ice on it but nothing.

Between work and all of the BS that I have been needing to keep doing at my house, I literally do not have time for a doctor until next week. Seriously, have not had a day off in 2+ months. I just wish I could find something to take the edge off the pain until I can get it checked out.
Very sorry you're hurting all the time. Any conceivable chance you can go to an urgent care clinic for a visual check, maybe more, if you can't see your own doctor sooner?

Last edited:

:( DVMD....that is not good...do you have a PCP that you can call? Also, those are my pain med go to’s :/

I was on day shifts from Tuesday to Friday last week and admitted this 4 yr FS DSH. She was referred for a low albumin and anemia and then surprise she also had a suspected chronic linear FB. Sent her to sx to remove the foreign body and we got biopsies of her liver and small intestine due to ultrasound changes shown there. She ended up needing a crap ton of plasma and two units of blood that night to stabilize her. On Friday, I finally thought she might have stabilized somewhat (despite needing another transfusion the day prior) and actually looked somewhat decent. Well, she's now neurologic and we don't really know why. Her mom is super nice but is about to be tapped financially and I'm just super sad. I had really hoped she was going to make it because she looked significantly better when I left and instead they're likely PTSing later today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today my ankle went from 'not surgical' to 'you have four weeks to be walking without the boot without much pain or we will be discussing a procedure.' (Dude, you can just call it a surgery.) So now PT, but I haaaaaate PT because the majority of the time they don't understand my genetic disorder and try to make me do things that cause serious injury. Ughhhhhhh.

I've been in a walking boot for over 8 weeks and I miss running so bad

Today my ankle went from 'not surgical' to 'you have four weeks to be walking without the boot without much pain or we will be discussing a procedure.' (Dude, you can just call it a surgery.) So now PT, but I haaaaaate PT because the majority of the time they don't understand my genetic disorder and try to make me do things that cause serious injury. Ughhhhhhh.
Booooo

Very sorry you're hurting all the time. Any conceivable chance you can go to an urgent care clinic for a visual check, maybe more, if you can't see your own doctor sooner?

I could maybe try to get in Thursday afternoon. I already have scheduled for the people to come out to look at the refrigerator that morning and it has taken over 2 months to get them out there, so don't really want to be rescheduling that. Hopefully they will get done early enough and I can try to get out to a Dr then.

Reactions: 3 users
Whatever genetic thing you have, it's worth finding a pt that is aware of it. Or at least bringing them literature on it. Took me a while to find one familiar with EDS but I only use her now

Whatever genetic thing you have, it's worth finding a pt that is aware of it. Or at least bringing them literature on it. Took me a while to find one familiar with EDS but I only use her now
My one who was good with EDS left, and the other one I trust doesn't have any openings in his schedule until way too late for this, unfortunately. And then half the time that one says they know EDS just know about Muldowney or whoever it is that says to do closed-chain exercises, which really don't work for me rehab-wise or avoiding injury -wise. Judging from past history, there's a >50% chance a new PT won't work out, but maybe the weird respect I get from medical people now that I'm a med student will help

My one who was good with EDS left, and the other one I trust doesn't have any openings in his schedule until way too late for this, unfortunately. And then half the time that one says they know EDS just know about Muldowney or whoever it is that says to do closed-chain exercises, which really don't work for me rehab-wise or avoiding injury -wise. Judging from past history, there's a >50% chance a new PT won't work out, but maybe the weird respect I get from medical people now that I'm a med student will help
Muldowney is good for some but not all things. I find I do need to do some open chain stuff but not to the ends of my motion. If you ever need to chat about eds hit me up. I've dealt with a bunch of issues recently and know how frustrating it can be.

Muldowney is good for some but not all things. I find I do need to do some open chain stuff but not to the ends of my motion. If you ever need to chat about eds hit me up. I've dealt with a bunch of issues recently and know how frustrating it can be.
thanks. A while ago I had someone who only wanted me to do closed chain stuff, ruling out a lot of stuff that had worked in the past, and insisted it wouldn't be possible to get hurt while doing it. Ha. Proved her wrong!

This guy has potential. His sister has EDS and he didn't get annoyed when I had to adjust basic exercises. But now I'm getting big feelings about it all (he thinks it might well be surgical and at this point I kinda think it is. I'm on week 10 in the boot and if it's going to be surgery can I just get it over with so I don't have an extra month of atrophy and 4 weeks less time to get reconditioned before summer comes and I fail to be able to regulate my blood pressure and ughhhhhh).

thanks. A while ago I had someone who only wanted me to do closed chain stuff, ruling out a lot of stuff that had worked in the past, and insisted it wouldn't be possible to get hurt while doing it. Ha. Proved her wrong!

This guy has potential. His sister has EDS and he didn't get annoyed when I had to adjust basic exercises. But now I'm getting big feelings about it all (he thinks it might well be surgical and at this point I kinda think it is. I'm on week 10 in the boot and if it's going to be surgery can I just get it over with so I don't have an extra month of atrophy and 4 weeks less time to get reconditioned before summer comes and I fail to be able to regulate my blood pressure and ughhhhhh).
I mean, I totally get it. It's nice to have a conservative surgeon, but sometimes you just want to move forward and you know it's not going to get better

I'm really surprised how common EDS is. We recently had a lecture from a vet that also has EDS, but she has some vascular involvement too, which forced her to quit practice and now she teaches about mental health/well being in the vet profession. I feel mine is not nearly as severe as either of yours; I just have stupid loose joints.

I'm really surprised how common EDS is. We recently had a lecture from a vet that also has EDS, but she has some vascular involvement too, which forced her to quit practice and now she teaches about mental health/well being in the vet profession. I feel mine is not nearly as severe as either of yours; I just have stupid loose joints.
I believe I know who this is.

There's some idea that it's more common than people expected and we just weren't picking up on it as much. Others think that it tends to occur more often in high-achieving people

Others think that it tends to occur more often in high-achieving people

My rheum showed me an article he found amusing about EDS: a disease of intelligent middle-class college-educated women? Sure, in that you're not going to get diagnosed unless you have the resources and access and belief that you are right / enough faith in doctors that you persist and are respectable enough that you're not totally dismissed.

I really think it's just way more common than they think and that there's something of a spectrum. I go to a tiny school, maybe 300 total. I have at least two classmates who also have it and someone graduated last year who had it, too. I go to synagogue with a couple people who have it (my bestie saw me across the synagogue at high holidays and we had a moment of that 'one of us' feeling. Then a year later we actually met and yup, kindred spirits and both EDSers). I went to undergrad with a whole handful of people who have it, not that we were all diagnosed by then.

We're not zebras, we're just horses in disguise.

Thank you, skiski. I hope so, too. <3

The one upside I guess is that my student loans are in grace until August-ish, so I'm not having to worry about those right now on top of everything else, at least.
I have full faith that things will get better eventually but right now man, that all just majorly sucks. It's so time for something to break your way.

My rheum showed me an article he found amusing about EDS: a disease of intelligent middle-class college-educated women? Sure, in that you're not going to get diagnosed unless you have the resources and access and belief that you are right / enough faith in doctors that you persist and are respectable enough that you're not totally dismissed.

I really think it's just way more common than they think and that there's something of a spectrum. I go to a tiny school, maybe 300 total. I have at least two classmates who also have it and someone graduated last year who had it, too. I go to synagogue with a couple people who have it (my bestie saw me across the synagogue at high holidays and we had a moment of that 'one of us' feeling. Then a year later we actually met and yup, kindred spirits and both EDSers). I went to undergrad with a whole handful of people who have it, not that we were all diagnosed by then.

We're not zebras, we're just horses in disguise.
Interesting article:
Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type is associated with rheumatic diseases

In my area there's one rheum who gets all the EDSers, even if we don't have proper rheum dxes. Someday we'll actually figure out how the immune system is involved in things and a lot of the associated disorders will make a lot more sense, but that might be a while since we pretty much know nothing about it at all right now. CIDP, freaky reflexes, mast cell stuff... we pretty much know nothing.

I believe I know who this is.

There's some idea that it's more common than people expected and we just weren't picking up on it as much. Others think that it tends to occur more often in high-achieving people
I had a feeling you might recognize that doctor. :)

I hadn't heard that theory about EDS and high-achieving people. I do have a few classmates that have claimed to be "double jointed" and I suspect they also have EDS, but I'm not about to try and diagnose a human. At most I've asked if they talked to their dr about it, and they all have said no, and I've suggested it might be a good idea (mostly due to risk of vascular involvement.)

In my area there's one rheum who gets all the EDSers, even if we don't have proper rheum dxes. Someday we'll actually figure out how the immune system is involved in things and a lot of the associated disorders will make a lot more sense, but that might be a while since we pretty much know nothing about it at all right now. CIDP, freaky reflexes, mast cell stuff... we pretty much know nothing.
Yeah there are a couple in my area.

Just interesting to see all the connections to collagen. Like the dysautonomias that can be associated with it, too

I probably have the hypermobility type but I didn’t know eds was even a thing until maybe 6-8 months ago. It’s on my list of things to find a dr and get looked into eventually, but currently my back is top priority

I’d love to talk to her...just to inquire about her current job.

@Elkhart very sorry you're encountering lots of challenges in your life. Glad you're staying with family until things get better.

[Do you like to volunteer (e.g., with a human-related group, or an animal-oriented group, or with whatever else might interest you)? Not sure if it would help ... it's just a thought. I realize you're looking for employment (and not volunteer gigs). Hmmm ... perhaps volunteering might lead to potential employment opportunities and you'd also meet new people???]

Last edited:
....very interesting read. Part of me is now very curious about EDS while the other part doesn’t want to investigate or know.

Minor rant:
Sick (infected by coworker) - told that “everyone is sick” but I’m the only one whose throat is swollen almost shut (the coworker who was patient 0ish is now out sick with a sinus infection...he was at work for an entire week sick before going to the Dr). Maybe if my voice is gone tomorrow, I can go to urgent care. (If pigs fly...)

That is a mighty large “if” however. Le sigh. I may be developing a sinus headache-migraine combo..... :bag:

Flight delayed 2 hours for maintainence issue... good news, lucky me had a 4 hours layover to start with.
ETA: Dealyed 3 hours...no idea why the maintence crew isn't here yet. I could have gone to the airport they were coming from by now and be back here...

Last edited:
In the past couple of days, I've lost my hospital badge and keys. I remember seeing them in the console of my car a few days ago, but I don't remember what day that was, if I took them inside, or when I definitely had them last. I can get by without them if I go in to the hospital the 'back way' and my residentmates don't lock our office, but I still need to find them or there's a big fee for replacements.

I probably have the hypermobility type but I didn’t know eds was even a thing until maybe 6-8 months ago. It’s on my list of things to find a dr and get looked into eventually, but currently my back is top priority

if it is EDS, back is probably related. Just saying

I'm getting those injected next week. I'm excited
I got my left one injected an hour an a half ago. I did not like. I don’t do well with needles and pain from needle stabs. The first one helped a smidge which is why my dr wanted me to get a second one. So here’s to hoping the second one helps a bit more

I got my left one injected an hour an a half ago. I did not like. I don’t do well with needles and pain from needle stabs. The first one helped a smidge which is why my dr wanted me to get a second one. So here’s to hoping the second one helps a bit more
They are doing mine with propofol so I won't feel it

Well 7 hours later I'm finally at my connecting airport. My first rebooked connection flight was delay again for a total of 4 hour lay over and possibly more. So I am now on a flight approximately 6 hours from now :mad: