RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They got in her dish is the problem. So many drowned in her water and then those in her food. I actually have those though! So not a big issue but one that needs fixed asap so they don't infest my kitchen
I had an ant problem in my apartment a few months ago and they got in my cat's food dish. A trick I found online is to put the dish on a plate with some water with a little dish soap mixed in, the ants will get stuck in the soap and drown before they can get to the food! This might not work depending on the size of the food dish, and if your dog might drink the soapy water, but it worked well for me. And then I got some of those square plastic ant traps to actually kill the ants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I had an ant problem in my apartment a few months ago and they got in my cat's food dish. A trick I found online is to put the dish on a plate with some water with a little dish soap mixed in, the ants will get stuck in the soap and drown before they can get to the food! This might not work depending on the size of the food dish, and if your dog might drink the soapy water, but it worked well for me. And then I got some of those square plastic ant traps to actually kill the ants.
So, terro ant traps are basically water, borax and sugar, all of which are non-toxic to pets. I imagine if you used borax instead of regular soap, it would also work and be non-harmful to your pets.

I had my GRE today, didn’t do as good as I wanted. And I woke up sick and have felt horrible all day including the test. This day is just gross.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my GRE today, didn’t do as good as I wanted. And I woke up sick and have felt horrible all day including the test. This day is just gross.
:(

I took that test so many times, I know how this feels. Hugs and chocolate are in order.

I took that test so many times, I know how this feels. Hugs and chocolate are in order.
Thanks! It was super frustrating because on all my practice test I had bad verbal scores so I tried to really study that and try to do better and did but my quant score was worse lol. So I was just like dang. And I felt like I was dying while taking the test so I just wanted to leave :( I did have a chocolate cupcake if that counts :p

Reactions: 1 user
Just came here to also complain about ants. The little tiny ones have taken over one corner of the kitchen. Went out and got Terro traps, hopefully they work. It’s been raining here and apparently that drives them into homes.

I realize that it's petty and it's been almost nine months at this point so I really should be over it, but I still can't help but feel like I've been kicked in the gut every damn time I see an email regarding lunch meetings and wetlabs and other fun things taking place at my former vet school in my inbox. Ugh. I'm already on the edge mentally as-is; I don't need that constant reminder of what I had but was apparently never actually good enough for, too, thanks.

I'm just going to have to quit using that account for things, I guess.

can you email the school's admin to get your email address removed from their list? or set up your email to read those emails as spam?

Reactions: 2 users
I realize that it's petty and it's been almost nine months at this point so I really should be over it, but I still can't help but feel like I've been kicked in the gut every damn time I see an email regarding lunch meetings and wetlabs and other fun things taking place at my former vet school in my inbox as the new semester starts. Ugh. I'm already on the edge mentally as-is; I don't need that constant reminder of what I had but was apparently never actually good enough for, too, thanks.

I'm just going to have to quit using that account for things, I guess.

I'm surprised they haven't disconnected it yet.... they will eventually.

Hang in there.

Why oh why do I do these things to myself... dentist appointment first this morning before work and then during my lunch break have to go to the hospital to get my final rabies post exposure vaccine. >.<

I'm super frustrated and i've honestly hit a wall. I keep tabbing through my VMCAS and supp essays. I stare at my bullets and when I can't figure out what else I want to add or how to make it into a sentence, I tab to the next essay, then the next, and I don't actually make any progress on them. I wanted to submit my app by mid-august, but I don't think it will end up happening much before the deadline.
Also, I'm annoyed because my schedule at work has been the same for MONTHS, so I made standing plans on one of my days off and my manager switched my schedule around and is annoyed that I made plans that conflict with my schedule.... but I haven't been scheduled on a sunday for 6 months, why would it change (she didn't check before she changed it, she just gave us the new schedule and it was different). and our new hire just quit (previously mentioned schedule change happened before she quit). we were already short-staffed, so now were double short-staffed. Between my sunday conflict, wanting to go home for thanksgiving (the only time of year I get to go home), and letting her know of impending conflicts that will arise for interviews, I feel like I'm just a PITA right now, but none of these seem like unreasonable conflicts (to me) ......mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
/rantover

So not so much as a rant but kind of a WTF moment...

I'm taking HST345 - Environmental History and ENG367 - Environmental Lit & Film, both online classes. The book list for these classes came out a month ago (4 books for the history class; 7 books for the English class) so I had some what of an idea of what the course load would be like. The teacher for the history class opened up the "classroom" 2 days ago so I was able to read the syllabus and see exactly what homework there would be and the like. We will be reading all 4 books in their entirety, writing 4 essays and taking 3 exams (not the WTF moment). So at this point I'm thinking, 'Crap. I can only imagine what the English class will be like'. English class opened today and I took a look at the syllabus -- Yes we will be reading all 7 books but there are no essays to write and no exams. The only thing graded in the English class is our discussion board posts with other classmates answering questions about the material we read. In my head I'm going, 'Not complaining, but.... da fuq?' lmao.

I'm super frustrated and i've honestly hit a wall. I keep tabbing through my VMCAS and supp essays. I stare at my bullets and when I can't figure out what else I want to add or how to make it into a sentence, I tab to the next essay, then the next, and I don't actually make any progress on them. I wanted to submit my app by mid-august, but I don't think it will end up happening much before the deadline.
Also, I'm annoyed because my schedule at work has been the same for MONTHS, so I made standing plans on one of my days off and my manager switched my schedule around and is annoyed that I made plans that conflict with my schedule.... but I haven't been scheduled on a sunday for 6 months, why would it change (she didn't check before she changed it, she just gave us the new schedule and it was different). and our new hire just quit (previously mentioned schedule change happened before she quit). we were already short-staffed, so now were double short-staffed. Between my sunday conflict, wanting to go home for thanksgiving (the only time of year I get to go home), and letting her know of impending conflicts that will arise for interviews, I feel like I'm just a PITA right now, but none of these seem like unreasonable conflicts (to me) ......mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
/rantover

I feel your pain in not making progress with your essays. I'm not doing the VMCAS yet but my experience with writing essays is that the ideas I need never come to me until the day before they are due. I'm so horrible with writing. And staring at the prompt only makes it worse for me. lol

As for the Sunday conflict, if you've explained why you made plans on that particular day (having that day off for 6 months) I wouldn't let their anger get to you. I don't know how your company lets you request/take time off/trade shifts but hopefully they'll attempt to work with you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain in not making progress with your essays. I'm not doing the VMCAS yet but my experience with writing essays is that the ideas I need never come to me until the day before they are due. I'm so horrible with writing. And staring at the prompt only makes it worse for me. lol
Set yourself an earlier due date and stick to it??
Word vomit EVERYTHING and then cut it down. Get your essays done ASAP so you can have someone who’s recently gone through the process read them and edit them and give their feedback before everyone gets too busy with school and takes their name off.
You can do it!!
Also yo you should probably start on your vmcas (unless you’re saying you’re not applying this year)

Have you tried word vomiting? Do it. Then cut back. And if you can’t figure out more words, see if a reader would be able to help. But do it before they all get busy with school and take their names off.

Set yourself an earlier due date and stick to it??
Word vomit EVERYTHING and then cut it down. Get your essays done ASAP so you can have someone who’s recently gone through the process read them and edit them and give their feedback before everyone gets too busy with school and takes their name off.
You can do it!!
Also yo you should probably start on your vmcas (unless you’re saying you’re not applying this year)

Appreciate the advice, will definitely be doing a lot of (word) vomiting for my essays. lol but I'm not applying this year -- I've still got 4 semesters left of my undergrad I think? Something like that.

Appreciate the advice, will definitely be doing a lot of (word) vomiting for my essays. lol but I'm not applying this year -- I've still got 4 semesters left of my undergrad I think? Something like that.
Ahhhh okay I thought you were saying you were having the same problem as the other poster. GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF UNDERGRAD

Have you tried word vomiting? Do it. Then cut back. And if you can’t figure out more words, see if a reader would be able to help. But do it before they all get busy with school and take their names off.

Yeah I finished the 1st 2 VMCAS essays. Im super stuck on the last one, i think (i know) i am over thinking it and my bullet outline has gotten out of hand and overwhelms me so kinda considering scrapping it and starting over. I have contacted a reader about this one too, and they said they'll get to it when they have time. have about half of my tufts essay done and honestly don't really know where I want to go with it for the 2nd half. word vomit everywhere for cornell, and a list of bullets of things i like about penn for their super open-ended "why penn" prompt, i just need to find a way to write 300 words about them.
i'm just kind here to vent for the sake of venting, which is why i'm doing it in the rant group. i know it's all stuff i need to just sit down and do, but i'm stressed about my work schedule stuff so it makes it all seem that much more daunting lol. if you can't tell, i overthink everything and make my life much more stressful than it needs to be, but it's all manageable stuff in the end. anxiety/adhd brain is so fun, guys! XD

What do you like most about their program? Why do you want to go there??

I'm super interested in One Health, and I know that they are very involved with it, especially since the vet school is so closely tied with their med school. I'd also be interested in a dual DVM(or for Penn, VMD)/PhD, but I'm not applying to dual programs this cycle because as much as i like research, I don't know what I would want to do with it, so I like that you can still apply to the joint program once you are there.
my hesitations with these points are that my interest in one health is more related to their work involving conservation initiatives and population health relating to climate change, etc, it's not really public health/human health focused, which seems to be penn's main focus with one health. Similarly, Penn's VMD/PhD dual program is very focused towards molecular biology and pharma research, but if I got a PhD i would, again, want it to be more ecologically focused.
I just feel a little weird being like "i love one health and might be interested in a dual degree!" when i know that my interests in these things aren't really in line with where their focus lies.
Other pros: I also know that they have a great teaching hospital and you can get a lot of hands-on experience starting in your first and second years, which is great! they have pretty flexible electives and rotations, so you can choose from some great experiences there. and they have a huge selection of clubs and stuff for their students, which sounds nice.
i think I'm mostly kind of hung up on how to talk about the one health and dual degree thing

I'm super interested in One Health, and I know that they are very involved with it, especially since the vet school is so closely tied with their med school. I'd also be interested in a dual DVM(or for Penn, VMD)/PhD, but I'm not applying to dual programs this cycle because as much as i like research, I don't know what I would want to do with it, so I like that you can still apply to the joint program once you are there.
my hesitations with these points are that my interest in one health is more related to their work involving conservation initiatives and population health relating to climate change, etc, it's not really public health/human health focused, which seems to be penn's main focus with one health. Similarly, Penn's VMD/PhD dual program is very focused towards molecular biology and pharma research, but if I got a PhD i would, again, want it to be more ecologically focused.
I just feel a little weird being like "i love one health and might be interested in a dual degree!" when i know that my interests in these things aren't really in line with where their focus lies.
Other pros: I also know that they have a great teaching hospital and you can get a lot of hands-on experience starting in your first and second years, which is great! they have pretty flexible electives and rotations, so you can choose from some great experiences there. and they have a huge selection of clubs and stuff for their students, which sounds nice.
i think I'm mostly kind of hung up on how to talk about the one health and dual degree thing
You possibly could expand on the pros at the bottom some and also say that you have research experience and are considering the dual degree and like that you are able to make the decision later as well versus only when originally applying?
Research the hospital, see what cool things they have, list all the cool first and second year experiences that you are excited for, say what clubs you’d join.
Not really sure how to work the one health part in personally, but a reader may be able to help.

You possibly could expand on the pros at the bottom some and also say that you have research experience and are considering the dual degree and like that you are able to make the decision later as well versus only when originally applying?
Research the hospital, see what cool things they have, list all the cool first and second year experiences that you are excited for, say what clubs you’d join.
Not really sure how to work the one health part in personally, but a reader may be able to help.

Thanks for your help :) i might just end up leaving the one health part out.
But yeah, I actually spent a solid 2-3 hours today scrolling through posts in the thread about factors when choosing a school because people made pros/cons lists about schools so i looked at their pros list and grabbed a few points that looked good to me, and tomorrow ill spend some time actually researching more about them on the website.

Maybe you could find a way to talk about your interest in the conservation/population health aspect of One Health and demonstrate your knowledge of how the public health/human health aspect of One Health is within the part that you are interested in? (omg... if that sentence even made sense.... ) Like, your interest affects their interest and you could better improve their interest by getting more in depth with your interest.

on a different note, i made the best freakin tomato sauce tonight with farmers market tomatoes and i'm about to carboload on pasta :hungry:

One of our clinician's lost her fiance in a car accident. Can't help be horrified by the news and feel stuck since there is nothing anyone could do to take that pain away. Also equally horrifying that students going to the local zoo saw the accident (they didn't know it was her fiance at the time, just made the connection later).

well, now you know why LIS has left.

Did someone tap their toes three times, offer incense to the four corners, light some candles in a pentacle, and whisper my name?

WHAT DOST THOU WANT OF ME?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Ugh

It wasn't even so much the repeated questions. I always got it. New crop of people, same perennial questions, same lack of "oh look, I can search for previous answers!" And I'm sure some of them felt like "well, maybe the answer is different now." Which is sorta legit.

What really got to me was the overly large number of 18-22 year olds coming in which a question, getting a response from someone who, uh, has been through the pre-recs, been through vet school, has been out in practice .... and they'd still blow it off with some snotty, condescending, arrogant response.

I mean, I don't care if people agree with me. Or even take my advice. Blindly taking anyone's advice is dumb, even moreso on the Internet. But I do expect that with those relative positions (sitting at the pre-vet stage vs someone out in practice) the pre-vet will at least be respectful of the advice. And too often that wasn't the case. I kinda got to the point of "Um... I have a job and family... why am I investing time here offering advice for pre-vets who don't value it?"

Anyway. A more nuanced answer for ya.

<smoke fills the room. when you next look, LIS has vanished>

Reactions: 16 users
I started re-watching Grey's Anatomy FROM THE BEGINNING like 1 month ago thinking that I would be able to watch all 14 seasons before school started.
NOPE.
Now I'm on season 7 and classes start in 9 days. And now this is dangerous because I'm a binge-watcher and I'll likely be watching Grey's instead of studying. What have I done

I started re-watching Grey's Anatomy FROM THE BEGINNING like 1 month ago thinking that I would be able to watch all 14 seasons before school started.
NOPE.
Now I'm on season 7 and classes start in 9 days. And now this is dangerous because I'm a binge-watcher and I'll likely be watching Grey's instead of studying. What have I done

You've given yourself something to look forward to when school starts, you'll need that. Just set limits. I used to tell myself "you get 2 hours of you time then you study/review" when I'd get home from school. You need you time too, it'll be totally ok to binge some Gray's just set a schedule. :)

Reactions: 5 users
You've given yourself something to look forward to when school starts, you'll need that. Just set limits. I used to tell myself "you get 2 hours of you time then you study/review" when I'd get home from school. You need you time too, it'll be totally ok to binge some Gray's just set a schedule. :)
We are different personalities...

...and have different definitions of "binge" haha.

I once pulled an all nighter watching True Blood during our selectives (basically ncsu's elective classes) just because I'm that sort of addictive personality. Do you know how hard it is to listen to an hour talk on rat strain naming after no sleep? :laugh:

NOPE.
I did this with Supernatural last year! I watched an episode or two a night while eating dinner and it was a great destresser before getting back to studying!

We are different personalities...

...and have different definitions of "binge" haha.

I once pulled an all nighter watching True Blood during our selectives (basically ncsu's elective classes) just because I'm that sort of addictive personality. Do you know how hard it is to listen to an hour talk on rat strain naming after no sleep? :laugh:

Oh, no, I definitely have done the "binge" as in all night/overnight or all day. I just had to shorten that "binge" in school some (and sometimes I was very unsuccessful at that.... :whistle:)

I'm having the back to school blues before I'm even back to school. My dog has been having a lot of health issues and its really hard to financially and emotionally deal with that knowing the amount of stuff to do/learn when school comes. I can't focus when I know she isn't right. And the guilt of being in class makes it worse.

I also just feel like I'm bleeding money all the time... budgeting seems so simple on paper, but that crap takes discipline. Everything breaks, I buy cheaper versions bc I'm trying to save money and then the cheap thing breaks (shocker) and then I buy the cheaper thing again and so on. Learning what to spend money on and what to skimp on is adulting skill I have not mastered..

I'm having the back to school blues before I'm even back to school. My dog has been having a lot of health issues and its really hard to financially and emotionally deal with that knowing the amount of stuff to do/learn when school comes. I can't focus when I know she isn't right. And the guilt of being in class makes it worse.

I also just feel like I'm bleeding money all the time... budgeting seems so simple on paper, but that crap takes discipline. Everything breaks, I buy cheaper versions bc I'm trying to save money and then the cheap thing breaks (shocker) and then I buy the cheaper thing again and so on. Learning what to spend money on and what to skimp on is adulting skill I have not mastered..[/QUOTE]

So this!! I am right there with you. I just got a raise, a small one, but a raise nonetheless and I'm still going to struggle.

NOPE.
I had to quit this show in vet school, I couldn't handle all the emotions it gave me in addition to vet school lol

I had to quit this show in vet school, I couldn't handle all the emotions it gave me in addition to vet school lol
Oh god I had to quit it a couple years ago too. Couldn’t make it through season 7 because I read spoilers and noped out of there. Gave me too much anxiety while watching and I’d have to pause and look up spoilers to see if someone lived or died to prepare myself

And then there's me...I find the drama humorous, except when the worst thing happened (not trying to reveal anything in case you haven't seen what I'm referring to!). Really though, how many times can one person experience a brush with death (or actually die) and come out unscathed? How many times can this hospital explode?

And then there's me...I find the drama humorous, except when the worst thing happened (not trying to reveal anything in case you haven't seen what I'm referring to!). Really though, how many times can one person experience a brush with death (or actually die) and come out unscathed? How many times can this hospital explode?

I, too, love the drama of Grey's. Some of my friends are like, how are you still into it. I'm not really sure but for me it's almost a nostalgic thing. I got hooked my freshman year of college, we used to pile into each other's dorm rooms to watch it and it has stuck with me since. Though I am a bit surprised how long the show has lasted!

Why is it that I always buy ink and a spare cartridge for the home printer, yet there is never ink in the d*** printer and the spare is gone when I need to print?

Why is it that I always buy ink and a spare cartridge for the home printer, yet there is never ink in the d*** printer and the spare is gone when I need to print?

The same reason that whenever I sat down in the bathroom while the kids were still living at home...and the toliet paper would be empty. the roll still on the roller....but not a square to be had....

Reactions: 4 users
The same reason that whenever I sat down in the bathroom while the kids were still living at home...and the toliet paper would be empty. the roll still on the roller....but not a square to be had....
3676481.jpg

Minor rant, but, I'm allergic to latex. My next rotation is shelter medicine, and I was told by other classmates that I will need to supply my own sterile gloves. Someone told me the school pharmacy likely has them. I asked the pharmacy last week, and they said yes they had them, and I could buy some. Yesterday I went to go but them, and when they handed me the bag of gloves, I noticed they were latex. I returned the gloves, but they informed me that sorry, they don't have sterile non-latex gloves. I emailed the Dr's in charge of the next rotation, asking what I should do (knowing that the one is also allergic to latex and she must supply her own gloves as well) and neither has gotten back to me. Of course I need the gloves by Monday morning too. I just ordered some online, but I'm not sure when I will get them. It's just really annoying and I feel like it's a common enough allergy that the school should be able to provide them (I pay enough in tuition for sure). I also feel that they should give people a heads up, so that they have time to procure latex free gloves if needed.

Minor rant, but, I'm allergic to latex. My next rotation is shelter medicine, and I was told by other classmates that I will need to supply my own sterile gloves. Someone told me the school pharmacy likely has them. I asked the pharmacy last week, and they said yes they had them, and I could buy some. Yesterday I went to go but them, and when they handed me the bag of gloves, I noticed they were latex. I returned the gloves, but they informed me that sorry, they don't have sterile non-latex gloves. I emailed the Dr's in charge of the next rotation, asking what I should do (knowing that the one is also allergic to latex and she must supply her own gloves as well) and neither has gotten back to me. Of course I need the gloves by Monday morning too. I just ordered some online, but I'm not sure when I will get them. It's just really annoying and I feel like it's a common enough allergy that the school should be able to provide them (I pay enough in tuition for sure). I also feel that they should give people a heads up, so that they have time to procure latex free gloves if needed.
What did you do for your surgery course? Could you get a few pairs that way, just until your package arrives?

The shelter rotation that I did had a massive stock of gloves from students who had donated their extras after their rotations ended. Maybe you’ll get lucky!