RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Minor rant, but, I'm allergic to latex. My next rotation is shelter medicine, and I was told by other classmates that I will need to supply my own sterile gloves. Someone told me the school pharmacy likely has them. I asked the pharmacy last week, and they said yes they had them, and I could buy some. Yesterday I went to go but them, and when they handed me the bag of gloves, I noticed they were latex. I returned the gloves, but they informed me that sorry, they don't have sterile non-latex gloves. I emailed the Dr's in charge of the next rotation, asking what I should do (knowing that the one is also allergic to latex and she must supply her own gloves as well) and neither has gotten back to me. Of course I need the gloves by Monday morning too. I just ordered some online, but I'm not sure when I will get them. It's just really annoying and I feel like it's a common enough allergy that the school should be able to provide them (I pay enough in tuition for sure). I also feel that they should give people a heads up, so that they have time to procure latex free gloves if needed.
What did you do for your surgery course? Could you get a few pairs that way, just until your package arrives?

The shelter rotation that I did had a massive stock of gloves from students who had donated their extras after their rotations ended. Maybe you’ll get lucky!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What did you do for your surgery course? Could you get a few pairs that way, just until your package arrives?

The shelter rotation that I did had a massive stock of gloves from students who had donated their extras after their rotations ended. Maybe you’ll get lucky!
The surgery department has sterile non-latex gloves, but they won’t let students have them or even buy them unless they are on surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Minor rant, but, I'm allergic to latex. My next rotation is shelter medicine, and I was told by other classmates that I will need to supply my own sterile gloves. Someone told me the school pharmacy likely has them. I asked the pharmacy last week, and they said yes they had them, and I could buy some. Yesterday I went to go but them, and when they handed me the bag of gloves, I noticed they were latex. I returned the gloves, but they informed me that sorry, they don't have sterile non-latex gloves. I emailed the Dr's in charge of the next rotation, asking what I should do (knowing that the one is also allergic to latex and she must supply her own gloves as well) and neither has gotten back to me. Of course I need the gloves by Monday morning too. I just ordered some online, but I'm not sure when I will get them. It's just really annoying and I feel like it's a common enough allergy that the school should be able to provide them (I pay enough in tuition for sure). I also feel that they should give people a heads up, so that they have time to procure latex free gloves if needed.
Also super allergic to latex. Latex allergy is pretty uncommon in my experience and has been a huge pain in the butt for me as well. There are services in my school that don't even stock non-sterile non-latex gloves (so I can't participate in certain activities). My allergy is pretty severe, I react when someone puts on a pair of gloves near me, and had a hard time in anatomy lab with all the latexed vessels. I couldn't even stand near boxes of powdered gloves when those were still in use. It's more dangerous than people realize and I've come dangerously close to reaching for my epi-pen on multiple occasions. A clinician can ban peanuts in her area of the hospital, but I can't ask my classmates/clinicians to wear nonlatex gloves around me without being told to just leave and not work with the patient :rolleyes: Or when there are latex-free gloves, people without allergies use them all without realizing that those gloves were stocked literally just for me, so I end up working with patients without gloves because mine get used up. /endrant

I would take it up with the school though, seriously. If the school is footing the bill for 99% of students to scrub into surgery, it's unreasonable for them to point at you and say they won't cover your gloves. It's a medical necessity on your part. The problem is that the demand is so low that they worry about stocking gloves that will just expire. My school bought me a box of gloves that are mine and mine only, so it's not like you need the school to stock an entire range of sizes or anything. Really inexpensive given the other wasteful costs most vet schools don't blink an eye at.

Sigh. Flea anemias. I hate them. Been seeing it way too much lately and it just sad all around.

Kidney stones suck but they suck more when mishandled by the ER. I'm so very pissed about it - they didn't believe me until the CT results

Reactions: 2 users
Don’t quote pls.

So I have a really good friend at school who is flaky as hell. So 3 times this semester we’ve made plans to hang out at my apartment and then she’s cancelled. So today, I asked her if she had dinner plans because I was making a frozen brisket for brisket sandwiches, and then making homemade Mac n cheese. She said she was definitely coming for dinner. So I decide to go ahead and make her favorite Starbucks drink because they discontinued the Cool Lime Refresher, and she was going to taste test the different recipes I found to see which one she liked the best.

So I text her a couple different times to talk. At 5:30 I had food heating up on the stove, and I asked her if she got back into town safely and she said yes, but that it would take an hour for her to get ready.

Then I find out that not only is she not coming over for dinner, but also she’s going out for a mutual friend’s birthday that I wasn’t even invited to. (Apparently everyone just assumed someone else would invite me.) So she just apologized and cancelled. And I had everything cooking on the stove. So I’m just sad. Because it feels like I’m a really good friend, and I don’t have any friends who care about me the way I care about them.

I know those feels @cdoconn I think this is one of those moments where it is ok to make the other person feel guilty by saying, hey, I get that you wanted to go do xyz, but I was expecting you and already made food/drinks/etc. and it hurt my feelings that you cancelled on me last minute.

Reactions: 3 users
I know those feels @cdoconn I think this is one of those moments where it is ok to make the other person feel guilty by saying, hey, I get that you wanted to go do xyz, but I was expecting you and already made food/drinks/etc. and it hurt my feelings that you cancelled on me last minute.
I'm so sorry cdo. That really blows.
Thanks y’all... idk I try to be this tough person that doesn’t have feelings and emotions, but I’m really having a rough night because of this. I’ve planned at least 4 different things now, this year alone, that she’s bailed on. More last year. She’s a great friend when she’s there, I just don’t think she gets how badly it hurts me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks y’all... idk I try to be this tough person that doesn’t have feelings and emotions, but I’m really having a rough night because of this. I’ve planned at least 4 different things now, this year alone, that she’s bailed on. More last year. She’s a great friend when she’s there, I just don’t think she gets how badly it hurts me.
I think you need to tell her. She either doesn't know that she's hurting you, or she's a POS. You seem like a really sweet person, and you deserve to be appreciated. I'm pretty anti-confrontation, so I find writing a letter is often a lot easier. It allows me to get my feelings out in an articular manor, that I can read over 100x prior to hitting send. Try to use "I feel" statements as much as possible to avoid placing blame.

Reactions: 9 users
Adding onto this, if she downplays it o continues the behavior after having a talk with her about how it affects you this sounds like good reasoning to stop inviting her to things and extending the effort. I've had to do this on occasion and while it sucks at first it's a lot easier in the long run.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah... :( I hope it doesn’t come to that. She’s one of my best friends I’ve met in school, so it’s a little hard making this conversation...

I’m going to wait until tomorrow morning- she’s out at the bars tonight so it won’t do any good for this conversation to happen now

Small rant here.

It really sucks to be a Canadian applying to vet school. There’s only one school I can apply to in the country because all of them have residency requirements and that school admits students almost entirely based on marks.

My dog is frantically licking the ground and crying/whining. He has a history of this and every time I run him to the ER its gas/he ate something naughty that is trying to pass. Then home on antacids, gas-X, and bland diet.

This happened on Friday night at 2AM so we started the whole shebang again. He's been doing sooo well this weekend I thought we were past it this time. Now he's sounding worse than he did before and I'm sitting here hating every second because I can't make him feel better. And of course debating taking him to the ER... because what if this time its something else??

Ugh I hate this I hate this so much.

Learned a lesson today that basically boils down to “be a responsible human and don’t trust anyone” which is pretty common sense but maybe by sharing it I can help prevent it from happening to someone else.

I was supposed to see Hamilton today with my husband and parents. We went through the whole frenzy of obtaining the tickets right when they went on sale...my husband sat on the phone for hours in a line and finally got through...we were ecstatic to get tickets for the literally the last show before it left town. We got the tickets in the mail a few weeks later and hung them on the fridge for safe keeping. Where the cascade of failure begins is at this point, when we didn’t open up the envelope to look at the physical tickets. This was back in April.

Fast forward to today, we’re all dressed up at the theater and hand our tickets to the person who scans them. There’s immediately an error and they inform us our tickets were for yesterday. We head to the box office and of course it’s a sold out show (it sold out the day tickets went on sale) and there are no refunds, exchanges, etc. Theres nothing they can do. So we leave, devastated, and I’m personally sick to my stomach over it. My poor husband at this point is worried my dad is going to banish his from the family.

What bothers me the most is that I’m 100% positive they sent us the wrong tickets or entered in the wrong date when they sold them to us. My husband is meticulous about dates, times, putting things on our calendar, etc. I went back to our texts from April and I said something like “I don’t even care that’s it’s the last show!” He put it on our calendar for Sunday at 1pm. The tickets were for Saturday at 1:30pm. My husband just doesn’t make mistakes like that. This transaction was done over the phone and there was no receipt included with the tickets. We are out $650 and I’m still just sick over it. We’re already in the process of disputing the charge on our credit card but truly when it boils down to it...it’s our fault for not checking the tickets. I just keep imagining 4 empty seats in the theater yesterday :( what sucks is that 3 out of 4 of us were free yesterday at that time but my husband was out of town until an hour before we left for the theater today. But even if we would have checked the tickets when we got them, all 4 of us wouldn’t have been able to go and the tickets were already sold out when they got to us in the mail so what gives.

Tldr; if you ever get tickets in the mail for an event, open up the envelope and make sure they’re for the correct date and time.

And I know this is totally first world problems and there are way worse things being talked about in here but $650 man, that’s hard to swallow.

Learned a lesson today that basically boils down to “be a responsible human and don’t trust anyone” which is pretty common sense but maybe by sharing it I can help prevent it from happening to someone else.

I was supposed to see Hamilton today with my husband and parents. We went through the whole frenzy of obtaining the tickets right when they went on sale...my husband sat on the phone for hours in a line and finally got through...we were ecstatic to get tickets for the literally the last show before it left town. We got the tickets in the mail a few weeks later and hung them on the fridge for safe keeping. Where the cascade of failure begins is at this point, when we didn’t open up the envelope to look at the physical tickets. This was back in April.

Fast forward to today, we’re all dressed up at the theater and hand our tickets to the person who scans them. There’s immediately an error and they inform us our tickets were for yesterday. We head to the box office and of course it’s a sold out show (it sold out the day tickets went on sale) and there are no refunds, exchanges, etc. Theres nothing they can do. So we leave, devastated, and I’m personally sick to my stomach over it. My poor husband at this point is worried my dad is going to banish his from the family.

What bothers me the most is that I’m 100% positive they sent us the wrong tickets or entered in the wrong date when they sold them to us. My husband is meticulous about dates, times, putting things on our calendar, etc. I went back to our texts from April and I said something like “I don’t even care that’s it’s the last show!” He put it on our calendar for Sunday at 1pm. The tickets were for Saturday at 1:30pm. My husband just doesn’t make mistakes like that. This transaction was done over the phone and there was no receipt included with the tickets. We are out $650 and I’m still just sick over it. We’re already in the process of disputing the charge on our credit card but truly when it boils down to it...it’s our fault for not checking the tickets. I just keep imagining 4 empty seats in the theater yesterday :( what sucks is that 3 out of 4 of us were free yesterday at that time but my husband was out of town until an hour before we left for the theater today. But even if we would have checked the tickets when we got them, all 4 of us wouldn’t have been able to go and the tickets were already sold out when they got to us in the mail so what gives.

Tldr; if you ever get tickets in the mail for an event, open up the envelope and make sure they’re for the correct date and time.

And I know this is totally first world problems and there are way worse things being talked about in here but $650 man, that’s hard to swallow.
I'm so sorry, allie. :( I'm a huge Hamilton fan but haven't had a chance to see it yet, I'd be so devastated if that happened to me! I would file a complaint with whoever sold you the tickets if possible, it might not accomplish anything if there's no proof of what date the tickets were supposed to be for, but even just leaving them a bad review might be worth it.

Pull my groin today at the gym. Super pissed because it'll likely put me out of the gym for the week which is like the o ly thi g keeping me from losing it at work. It's been a rough couple of shifts lately and the burnout/compassion fatigue is really setting in. Got asked to come in today on my one day off this week too. I said no and I'm enjoying a beer at the beach but that's how bad it's been

Had my 20 week anatomy ultrasound today and everything is looking good (yay). The rant is for human medicine.

As a bit of a nerd and someone who really loved ultrasound in vet school it was highly entertaining to watch the scan (and holy high def). They had a sign up saying you could request your images emailed to you. So we did and had to fill out a consent form and then they inform us it's a $5 fee. On top of course of the $630 exam fee but whatever. Human medicine right?

So I finally get the email and I realized there are only 12 images (of the 60+they took). Not even like just the cute recognizable-to-normal-people ones but some random ones in there. And not even the one with the fun "it's a ___" text.

So I call them, thinking there was probably a glitch, and had to leave a voicemail. They called me back while I was on the bus. After explaining the situation the receptionist goes to talk to the tech. She comes back and explains to me that "the ones you were sent are the ones for you, the rest are for the doctor." I was confused and tried to explain that I wanted all the images and especially the gender reveal image but she just kept repeating herself.

Frustrated and not wanting to get into it on public transit I gave up but now I'm sitting here fuming.

The images are of me and my unborn child. I paid for them, all i want is a digital copy to nerd out over. Why do they get to decide what part of my medical information I don't get access to?!

And then I think of all the cds of rads from my animals that were given to me no additional charge no questions asked and people complain about vet med?!

:boom:

Reactions: 13 users
Had my 20 week anatomy ultrasound today and everything is looking good (yay). The rant is for human medicine.

As a bit of a nerd and someone who really loved ultrasound in vet school it was highly entertaining to watch the scan (and holy high def). They had a sign up saying you could request your images emailed to you. So we did and had to fill out a consent form and then they inform us it's a $5 fee. On top of course of the $630 exam fee but whatever. Human medicine right?

So I finally get the email and I realized there are only 12 images (of the 60+they took). Not even like just the cute recognizable-to-normal-people ones but some random ones in there. And not even the one with the fun "it's a ___" text.

So I call them, thinking there was probably a glitch, and had to leave a voicemail. They called me back while I was on the bus. After explaining the situation the receptionist goes to talk to the tech. She comes back and explains to me that "the ones you were sent are the ones for you, the rest are for the doctor." I was confused and tried to explain that I wanted all the images and especially the gender reveal image but she just kept repeating herself.

Frustrated and not wanting to get into it on public transit I gave up but now I'm sitting here fuming.

The images are of me and my unborn child. I paid for them, all i want is a digital copy to nerd out over. Why do they get to decide what part of my medical information I don't get access to?!

And then I think of all the cds of rads from my animals that were given to me no additional charge no questions asked and people complain about vet med?!

:boom:
I’d call again and ask to speak to someone else. You should be able to have all the images. They are part of YOUR medical record. Which you have full access to and are allowed to ask for a complete copy. :sendoff:
Is that not one of your rights under hipaa?! I think one of the only things they’re allowed to deny is psych notes?

My sister had to euthanize my dog nephew today :( I so wish I could have been there for her and said goodbye (I'm home in two days too), but he had no time left.

It was either blasto or lung mets. Started showing signs 2 weeks ago with nonstop panting, was sent home on abx with no diagnostics performed. GP took rads yesterday when he was seriously struggling to breathe, classic snowstorm chest. He could barely breathe today so she elected not to wait another day for a specialist appointment.

Now I'm trying to assure her there was literally nothing more she could do. I feel awful for her.

Also another rant just came up: What are the odds of your top internship choice coming to your school to interview on a day that you cannot possibly interview on (I'm externing pretty far away)? Pretty good if you're me. To think I used to be lucky when I was a kid..

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm so sorry. :( I hope eventually this will be a good thing and allow you to find a better fit, but in the meantime I know this sucks so much and you must be feeling really awful. Have my best internet hugs. I hope things get better soon.

Haven't mowed my grass since before classes started and it's gotten long. Thought I'd be a responsible adult and take care of that before studying today. Ended up stung four times. Joy.
Wasps are satan! I got stung for the first time in my life by the jerks living under our front porch a few weeks ago and I've been afraid to go through our front door ever since lol

Reactions: 2 users
Wasps are honestly the one creature that I don't see a point to at all on this planet. We would all be better off without them.

Reactions: 6 users
Wasps are satan! I got stung for the first time in my life by the jerks living under our front porch a few weeks ago and I've been afraid to go through our front door ever since lol

I'm afraid to finish mowing the grass. But it looks real stupid right now all half-mowed and what not.

I'm afraid to finish mowing the grass. But it looks real stupid right now all half-mowed and what not.
Just burn your yard down. It’ll kill the wasps and no more grass to mow!

Reactions: 10 users
there was a next under the porch rail on our front steps (that we don't use that often) this morning, my hubby got swarmed, tripped, cut his elbow and his toe trying to get away from them. they are dead now.

Yech, backs are the worst.

Mine’s been acting up, too. I have anatomy lab for 9 hours a week and I’m short so I have to stand to actually see things on my cadaver.
Yeah mine really does not like the ****ty lecture chairs. Or awkward bendy twisty movements during palpation when you’re trying to reach a horses leg around three other people. While also holding the horse because no one else will hold her. But you’re not about to miss out on one of your only times to palpate before you’re tested on it. Which was already cut short because the professor wouldn’t stop talking in lecture and went 15 minutes over. Not that I’m salty about any of that from today.