RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This can be really awkward for the other people sitting in your back seat that you forgot were there.

I debated how dark my answer to this would be for a while. Did not come up with a satisfactory answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@BigCats Ah man I had to get blood drawn today too. My biggest thing is I always forget to drink water so I always have bad veins to draw from. :dead: Can your doc prescribe you something for the anxiety, or would that screw up your lab results?
That probably would be a good idea for me in general, but I'm just going to have to suffer through it today. Fortunately I always chug a ton of water beforehand to make things as easy as possible, but I still tell the staff that I have terrible veins (kinda true) so that they'll give me their most experienced person. :p getting that done when you're dehydrated is not fun though- props to you for sticking through it!!

@Elkhart that sounds awful, I'm so sorry!! One of my best friends gets bad migraines sometimes and she will lock herself in a dark room with no noise around her to try to get through them, but I'm sure you can't exactly do that at work :/

@Elkhart sending a virtual hug... if you want one. <3

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: turns out I don't freak out about getting blood drawn if I'm freaking out about something else (i.e. going to the complete wrong location and having to speed over before I miss my appointment), plus the lady who did it was awesome, so yay!! She was so fast I didn't even have the chance to cry :p

Reactions: 3 users
Update: turns out I don't freak out about getting blood drawn if I'm freaking out about something else (i.e. going to the complete wrong location and having to speed over before I miss my appointment), plus the lady who did it was awesome, so yay!! She was so fast I didn't even have the chance to cry :p

I’m TERRIFIED of needles that are headed my way (have zero problems sticking others with them, revert to a 2 year old when they are aimed at me).
I used to take Xanax for any bloodwork or even vaccines. But also I’ve realized that getting it done at a place like Quest instead of at my drs office makes a HUGE difference. I also don’t drink enough water in general plus I panic when it’s happening and constrict my blood vessels even more, but the phlebotomists at quest still get it on the first stick every single time. It’s helped me feel more comfortable in general with it, I panic less when it happens now, and for simple blood draws I don’t usually need to take the Xanax anymore (IV Cath placement still includes Xanax and tears, but I’m making progress ).
There was a period of time I was getting blood draws every 1-2 months and I became BFFs with my fave phlebotomist haha.

Tl;dr - get blood drawn by a phlebotomist at a lab, it’s all they do all day every day and is a much faster and more pleasant experience

Had a bad enough day yesterday that I'm just hoping I'm still a vet student.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I’m TERRIFIED of needles that are headed my way (have zero problems sticking others with them, revert to a 2 year old when they are aimed at me).
I used to take Xanax for any bloodwork or even vaccines. But also I’ve realized that getting it done at a place like Quest instead of at my drs office makes a HUGE difference. I also don’t drink enough water in general plus I panic when it’s happening and constrict my blood vessels even more, but the phlebotomists at quest still get it on the first stick every single time. It’s helped me feel more comfortable in general with it, I panic less when it happens now, and for simple blood draws I don’t usually need to take the Xanax anymore (IV Cath placement still includes Xanax and tears, but I’m making progress ).
There was a period of time I was getting blood draws every 1-2 months and I became BFFs with my fave phlebotomist haha.

Tl;dr - get blood drawn by a phlebotomist at a lab, it’s all they do all day every day and is a much faster and more pleasant experience
That's where I went and I totally agree- they're lovely!

I’m so sorry, @Squeaksmom. I know how that goes... feel free to shoot me a message anytime if you need to vent or cry out at someone.

• Love
My PM/facebook messenger is always open.
I’m so sorry, @Squeaksmom. I know how that goes... feel free to shoot me a message anytime if you need to vent or cry out at someone.
Thank you both! My fate is out of my hands now, and my move home was delayed until tomorrow. I'm just... waiting... and trying to occupy my thoughts.

I've never freaked out about blood draws (except as a kiddo), until I had my first 2 bad experiences a couple years ago. The hospital phleb (so, a professional poker) stuck the needle in, got vein access IMO and paused, then was like :thinking: then put the entire needle in my arm, like another 1/2 inch or more. I was like WTF! She then "fished" it around by rotating it side to side. HURT extra bad so I "oww" and she got the hint. This happened with two phlebs. I don't understand the logic in the thought process of twisting/rotating it around at all, nor do I understand why you just shove the entire length of the needle in, essentially puncturing the vein from two ends.

Didn't have a problem with the LabCorp person (n=1), nor anyone else at any PCP clinic or hospital phleb.

:scared:

• Wow
Currently eating my feelings as I brace myself to call my parents and tell them what happened. My feelings taste a lot like fish & chips from Angel's.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently eating my feelings as I brace myself to call my parents and tell them what happened. My feelings taste a lot like fish & chips from Angel's.
Also sending you a virtual hug in return for the one you sent yesterday. <3 I'm sorry; it's hard, but know that you will be okay.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
The love reaction on here looks entirely too happy, but you guys know how I mean it!

• Love

Hugs from me too! My personal fave for me was hot chocolate, oreos, and Disney movies.

• Love
I've never freaked out about blood draws (except as a kiddo), until I had my first 2 bad experiences a couple years ago. The hospital phleb (so, a professional poker) stuck the needle in, got vein access IMO and paused, then was like :thinking: then put the entire needle in my arm, like another 1/2 inch or more. I was like WTF! She then "fished" it around by rotating it side to side. HURT extra bad so I "oww" and she got the hint. This happened with two phlebs. I don't understand the logic in the thought process of twisting/rotating it around at all, nor do I understand why you just shove the entire length of the needle in, essentially puncturing the vein from two ends.

Didn't have a problem with the LabCorp person (n=1), nor anyone else at any PCP clinic or hospital phleb.
Very unrelated but every time I read ‘phleb’ I read it as ‘pleb’ and I was like “wow what an insult”:smack:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

:scared:
I don't have an issue with blood draws, but I have the world's worst veins. There is literally only one that's reliable, and it's really small and superficial. For 10 years I was on a med that needed monthly monitoring, and it often took 10-15 pokes to get the sample, and that was hospital phlebs who are used to dealing with the worst of the worst veins. I had bloodwork a couple of weeks ago, and the stupid lady blew it. I knew I was in trouble when she didn't reach for a butterfly, and as soon as she got the needle in I felt it go. It's been two and a half weeks and I still have an impressive bruise. My friend was joking that I'd better not need blood drawn for a bit or they'll be putting in a central line!

I don't have an issue with blood draws, but I have the world's worst veins. There is literally only one that's reliable, and it's really small and superficial. For 10 years I was on a med that needed monthly monitoring, and it often took 10-15 pokes to get the sample, and that was hospital phlebs who are used to dealing with the worst of the worst veins. I had bloodwork a couple of weeks ago, and the stupid lady blew it. I knew I was in trouble when she didn't reach for a butterfly, and as soon as she got the needle in I felt it go. It's been two and a half weeks and I still have an impressive bruise. My friend was joking that I'd better not need blood drawn for a bit or they'll be putting in a central line!
Oof so hard

Just stepped on a thick shard of glass and sliced the heel of my foot up +pity+
Also unable to breathe and my back hurts like hell since I've had the flu for the last four days. Horse was also a giant ass today and tried his best to trample the farrier during a basic hoof trim. Today is not going well for me.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Big agree. I’ve had my blood drawn a few times at LabCorp and they always are great. Granted, my veins could be hit blindfolded from space but it always helps to have someone who does this all day everyday. I find that the women in their 50’s or so are always the best. They’ll talk to you while drawing 6 tubes of blood in 10 seconds. They’ve done this literally a million times and don’t even have to focus, and will just talk to you while drawing your blood. Plus they always tell me I remind them of their son who’s my age or something (apparently I remind A LOT of women of their sons?) so I feel like I get special treatment because of that :p

I mean...a full-time phleb is a full-time phleb whether they work at Quest/LabCorp/etc or a hospital or smaller clinic, no? They do this all day, every day. So there's something else that leads to poor sticks.

I mean...a full-time phleb is a full-time phleb whether they work at Quest/LabCorp/etc or a hospital or smaller clinic, no? They do this all day, every day. So there's something else that leads to poor sticks.

Whenever I am at my primary care place, it’s not a phlebotomist who would draw my blood, it’s usually a nurse who does a million other things in a day besides blood draws. I know that they CAN draw blood, but the difference in skill between someone who does it occasionally and someone who does it exclusively has been huge in my experience.

Whenever I am at my primary care place, it’s not a phlebotomist who would draw my blood, it’s usually a nurse who does a million other things in a day besides blood draws. I know that they CAN draw blood, but the difference in skill between someone who does it occasionally and someone who does it exclusively has been huge in my experience.
Yeah, and my bad experiences were with full-time hospital phlebs, so it's probably just luck of the draw.

(no pun intended but lol)

but for real, since when is twisting/rotating/fishing a valid strategy? I mean, "Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence," but damn. Bish did it on purpose or something.

Yeah, and my bad experiences were with full-time hospital phlebs, so it's probably just luck of the draw.

(no pun intended but lol)

but for real, since when is twisting/rotating/fishing a valid strategy? I mean, "Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence," but damn. Bish did it on purpose or something.
Pretty much always. Sometimes the bevel of the needle is up against a wall of the vein. So twisting it can help it flow better. Fishing also a valid strategy, particularly if that vein is somewhat mobile, though obviously done sparingly.

Pretty much always. Sometimes the bevel of the needle is up against a wall of the vein. So twisting it can help it flow better. Fishing also a valid strategy, particularly if that vein is somewhat mobile, though obviously done sparingly.
Interesting. I probably misused twisting -- more of a rotating like the hands of a clock looking downward from above. It resulted in extreme pain and failure, plus the whole thing where you gain access then stick the rest of the needle in. My veins aren't really mobile. Usually a quick poke and they're good. n=2 I've had some bad sticks.

Interesting. I probably misused twisting -- more of a rotating like the hands of a clock looking downward from above. It resulted in extreme pain and failure, plus the whole thing where you gain access then stick the rest of the needle in. My veins aren't really mobile. Usually a quick poke and they're good. n=2 I've had some bad sticks.
Things change from day to day. maybe it was a harder stick than normal. Maybe you were slightly dehydrated. There are reasons though

Also if you just barely have your needle in the vein and get the flash and you just try and do it like that, very good chance you’re gonna come right out of the vein.
Yep, get that. Wasn't really referring to that. Was referring to inserting the entire needle in. Never really had someone do that before.

Yep, get that. Wasn't really referring to that. Was referring to inserting the entire needle in. Never really had someone do that before.
Depends on where the tip of the needle is in relation to the vein. if I'm right next to it and halfway in, I may need to stick it all the way in in order to get it into the vein. It all depends

My worst vein experience was with the last time I needed an IV catheter for contrast for an MRI. I'm a hard sick, I know I am so I always expect a few misses.

Anyway the one nurse or whatever tried three times before taking me to the MRI room. Couldn't get it, said nurse in MRI room would try because "she's the best"....

She tried twice, no luck. On her third try she was successful, then stupidly flushed the catheter while the tourniquet was still in place. So, yup, vein blew.

She tried twice more with no success....so I didn't contrast for my MRI study that....required contrast to look for what they were looking for.

• Sad
My worst vein experience was with the last time I needed an IV catheter for contrast for an MRI. I'm a hard sick, I know I am so I always expect a few misses.

Anyway the one nurse or whatever tried three times before taking me to the MRI room. Couldn't get it, said nurse in MRI room would try because "she's the best"....

She tried twice, no luck. On her third try she was successful, then stupidly flushed the catheter while the tourniquet was still in place. So, yup, vein blew.

She tried twice more with no success....so I didn't contrast for my MRI study that....required contrast to look for what they were looking for.

I get contrast MRIs fairly regularly. This is from my last MRI...

56934624357__C820DECD-FFD2-4E8D-985B-EA747686A811.jpg

Night of
56945050586__3A7B3E4D-AA0D-406B-A4E7-502EDFCFB382.jpg

Next day

I joked that I looked like a heroin junkie for like 2 weeks.

I was not a happy camper.
They apparently got the vein but then it rolled so they were fishing and the nurse wouldn’t admit she couldn’t get it for way too long.
They had to bring in an ultrasound and then got it right away. At that point I was in tears and hyperventilating, so they showed me on the ultrasound what happens to my blood vessels when I don’t breathe. That was cool.

I feel like wildlife turned into a dumpster fire for me in the last 24 hours, just days after I went to speak with the clinician that oversees the clinic about my team. It's frustrating as the midterm went poorly for me. I've decided to just sit back and watch the world burn, but I'm still salty over how my team is being managed. I tried to step up to help, and it turned into me managing the team with help from all but one person. It's just not something I can do for the next two weeks cause they only let you repeat once. It feels like it's come down to choosing between wildlife and my grades, and I'm going to take care of myself 100% of the time. I just don't also want to screw the rest of my team, or our patients.

• Sad
My insurance doesn't cover my rabies vaccs. :grumpy: bye $840
Can you get your doctor to prescribe it? My insurance told me that at one point, since I worked in a high risk environment for rabies exposure.
Or, if you'll have student insurance for the school year if that'll cover it. I does at my school

My insurance kept on telling me they definitely wouldn't cover my rabies vax, and then a few months after I got them, they reimbursed my parents for almost the whole cost! It's a wild world out there.

This is what happened to me. I was told outright by my insurance company that the rabies prophylaxis wasn’t covered so I fully expected to brunt the entire cost. Then they reimbursed me for it. No idea if it’s because I got the shots at my vet school versus a clinic or whatever, though.
I got mine through the general student clinic but it was in order to volunteer at the vet hospital, so maybe they decided to cover it since it was for an occupation? No clue, but I sure was happy to hear that they'd decided to reimburse us haha.

I got mine through the general student clinic but it was in order to volunteer at the vet hospital, so maybe they decided to cover it since it was for an occupation? No clue, but I sure was happy to hear that they'd decided to reimburse us haha.
I think it’s totally a crapshoot. An annoying one. Esp. because it would cost them way more if we actually got bit by something rabid without the shots in a high risk field. Immunoglobulin ain’t cheap.

Mine bcbs also adamantly told me they would not cover it. Even denied a preclaim we tried once. I spent hours on the phone with them multiple times while I worked at a clinic and once I was in school. Decided to bite the bullet and get it done anyway. They ended up covering all of it

• Haha
Mine bcbs also adamantly told me they would not cover it. Even denied a preclaim we tried once. I spent hours on the phone with them multiple times while I worked at a clinic and once I was in school. Decided to bite the bullet and get it done anyway. They ended up covering all of it
That seems so confusing why they'd talk out both sides of their mouth.

More generally related: I despise health insurance companies. I get the impression they're profit gouging bureaucracies screwing over both patient and provider and then lobbying Congress to preserve their position. As someone with no access to care and postponing care for months/years, I'm just so effing sick of it all.

My insurance kept on telling me they definitely wouldn't cover my rabies vax, and then a few months after I got them, they reimbursed my parents for almost the whole cost! It's a wild world out there.
Yeah my dad had called ours once I met my deductible towards the end of 2017 and asked if they’d cover it. They said no, so I waited until the next year so it’d actually count towards the next years deductible. Somehow when I actually went and got them the following year, my insurance completely covered them and they were billed as pre-exposure not post or anything. I don’t know what magic Walgreens worked on my insurance, but I’m not complaining.

Reactions: 6 users
That seems so confusing why they'd talk out both sides of their mouth.

More generally related: I despise health insurance companies. I get the impression they're profit gouging bureaucracies screwing over both patient and provider and then lobbying Congress to preserve their position. As someone with no access to care and postponing care for months/years, I'm just so effing sick of it all.
Its ridiculous and so broken. Prepare long rant-

My poor brother has degenerative disks in his lower back with sacral and pelvic plexus involvement. First of all he was misdiagnosed because drs apparently cant read the radiology report but that's another can of worms and kept going down hill. Finally my parents were like we need a second opinion like he was stuck on the floor can't walk or anything sometimes. Insurance said he had to see the dr not the pa fine but that pushed him out 3 extra weeks. But then had to wait an additional week after he saw the dr to get preapproval for another MRI of further up his back than where the original one was taken lower.Then had to schedule a follow up instead of the dr just calling them and telling them oh he needs to go to this dr for injections. Then after they decided it can be fixed with injections. He now has to wait 3 weeks to just get a consult with the injection dr and THEN he can get an injection appointment scheduled because of preapproval. None of that is ok in the slightest. He should have been able to go to dr get MRI same day or next day because it was in the same building and only that group uses it. Then shouldn't have to do a consult to then just schedule an injection appointment instead of doing it all in one visit. Meanwhile he has been debilitated to the point where he cant go to school or work because he is in so much pain and literally cannot move because his nerves are being pinched. All of this has taken over a month to get done.

Tldr the human health care system is f***** up

Its ridiculous and so broken. Prepare long rant-

My poor brother has degenerative disks in his lower back with sacral and pelvic plexus involvement. First of all he was misdiagnosed because drs apparently cant read the radiology report but that's another can of worms and kept going down hill. Finally my parents were like we need a second opinion like he was stuck on the floor can't walk or anything sometimes. Insurance said he had to see the dr not the pa fine but that pushed him out 3 extra weeks. But then had to wait an additional week after he saw the dr to get preapproval for another MRI of further up his back than where the original one was taken lower.Then had to schedule a follow up instead of the dr just calling them and telling them oh he needs to go to this dr for injections. Then after they decided it can be fixed with injections. He now has to wait 3 weeks to just get a consult with the injection dr and THEN he can get an injection appointment scheduled because of preapproval. None of that is ok in the slightest. He should have been able to go to dr get MRI same day or next day because it was in the same building and only that group uses it. Then shouldn't have to do a consult to then just schedule an injection appointment instead of doing it all in one visit. Meanwhile he has been debilitated to the point where he cant go to school or work because he is in so much pain and literally cannot move because his nerves are being pinched. All of this has taken over a month to get done.

Tldr the human health care system is f***** up

Your poor brother :( disks are so painful, too. I went through something similar with my disk and insurance even required that I get the injections before they'd approve surgery, even though multiple doctors agreed that injections wouldn't help and were even contraindicated in my case. I had to wait a month to be able to get injections, which made the problem worse, and then had to wait another 2 months before I could get the surgery I needed.

Your poor brother :( disks are so painful, too. I went through something similar with my disk and insurance even required that I get the injections before they'd approve surgery, even though multiple doctors agreed that injections wouldn't help and were even contraindicated in my case. I had to wait a month to be able to get injections, which made the problem worse, and then had to wait another 2 months before I could get the surgery I needed.
Ugh. I really hope he gets better with the injections. He already had to dramatically alter his summer plans and is super bumbed because he was going to go abroad but if course is now stuck home. I'm so sorry you suffered as well Its just so frustrating that in human med they want all this preventive med and get it done pretty quick but when you actually need a dr when things go wrong things move at the pace of molasses.

my hubby has bulged disks from his neck down. and spinal stenois. and the beginnings of degenerative bone disease. he is in pain most of the time, but lives with it. when it gets too bad, he gets injections, and that settles it down for a while. last time, they decided to do RFA. Now, for the fun part. October 1 he went into get injections. I took off work so I could be driver. Well, new insurance directive; must have planning appointment then do injections. fine. two weeks out appointment is set. no approval, check on it, we're working on it. they then decide they are not going to approve injections. fine. so now, they will approve for the rfa. we were thinking about doing that anyway, just not this soon. wait another two weeks for approval...and then to get in; approval takes 3 weeks. he goes and gets "trial" then a week later they do the procedure on the one side, then two weeks later they do the other side. It was January before everything was all done. He was in such bad pain...it just sucked.