DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
For a back injury though?
Yes for a back injury. Especially for a back injury. Pain control is of most importance for any injury. We don't deny pain control for dogs or cats with back injuries.

CoffeeQuestionMark

WSU c/o 2023
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Yes for a back injury. Especially for a back injury. Pain control is of most importance for any injury. We don't deny pain control for dogs or cats with back injuries.
I do admit to misunderstanding the post. I thought she was saying that was the Dr's advice before seeing her. I agree pain control is important but not for unchecked injuries.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I do admit to misunderstanding the post. I thought she was saying that was the Dr's advice before seeing her. I agree pain control is important but not for unchecked injuries.
I mean, I'd pop ibuprofen before being seen to be honest. I'd also restrict my own activity. A couple ibuprofen aren't going to dampen the pain of any serious injury that could worsen if you exert yourself.

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
I hate questioning doctors but it seems if you have a back injury and don't know what it is, painkillers doesn't seem like a great idea because you could aggravate it more..
Eh. Without other clinical signs (numbness, tingling, persistent pain with all movements, etc) I highly doubt they're going to shove me in an MRI machine right away without telling me to limit activity and do NSAIDs at anti-inflammatory dosing. I'm kind of approaching myself like I would a back dog. No neuro deficits? NSAID and exercise restriction for you. Disease progression with those or inadequate pain control then to the MRI truck you go!

For the most part, I am pain free unless I move a certain way or attempt to do legit barbell movements. I can do other exercises with no discomfort.

killerleaf

beware, beyond there be dragons
10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
dazed and confused
Status
Academic Administration
this weekend was absolutely the worst. was anticipating getting the pool open, and relaxing and enjoying it by Sunday. (giving it a day to get chemicals balanced). Uh, no. Stepped in a hole, went flying, before we took cover off. Took off cover, stupid "winter pills" did not operate correctly, I think our pool may have been the birth place of the Swamp Thing. Started draining it. Next day, Saturday, was hosing down the walls, getting close to being able to get in and do the final scrub, and hubby comes in the from the back and says "just called 911, the burn pit got away". Perfectly calm day. One stupid gust, and away we go. (we live on 5 acres, this was in the far back). I am outside the fence, wetting it down, wetting the propane tank and around it down, watching stupid grass fire come closer and closer. Yay for Volunteer Firefighters! Response time was about 20 minutes. (we live in the middle of nowhere). So, they got it all put out. Go back to the pool, getting in and scrubbing, done for the day. Go to get out, and pool ladder wobbles while I am on top of it. (above ground pool, l was about 4foot in the air). Hubby goes to grab it; but momentum has me. I land, tuck and roll, and just lay for a while. Turns out, badly bruised the left, mildly bruised the right. called it a day. Sunday, hobbled around, finished scrubbing the steps, get them setup inside the pool, final rinse, tried to figure out where the blood is coming from..I managed to cut three fingers while scrubbing the stupid stairs. Finally get pool filled up. No salt.....ugh. Lots of Wild Turkey may have been consumed. And ibuprofen. (not together)

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Eh. Without other clinical signs (numbness, tingling, persistent pain with all movements, etc) I highly doubt they're going to shove me in an MRI machine right away without telling me to limit activity and do NSAIDs at anti-inflammatory dosing. I'm kind of approaching myself like I would a back dog. No neuro deficits? NSAID and exercise restriction for you. Disease progression with those or inadequate pain control then to the MRI truck you go!

For the most part, I am pain free unless I move a certain way or attempt to do legit barbell movements. I can do other exercises with no discomfort.
Hopefully just a muscle sprain/strain and will go away with rest.

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
this weekend was absolutely the worst. was anticipating getting the pool open, and relaxing and enjoying it by Sunday. (giving it a day to get chemicals balanced). Uh, no. Stepped in a hole, went flying, before we took cover off. Took off cover, stupid "winter pills" did not operate correctly, I think our pool may have been the birth place of the Swamp Thing. Started draining it. Next day, Saturday, was hosing down the walls, getting close to being able to get in and do the final scrub, and hubby comes in the from the back and says "just called 911, the burn pit got away". Perfectly calm day. One stupid gust, and away we go. (we live on 5 acres, this was in the far back). I am outside the fence, wetting it down, wetting the propane tank and around it down, watching stupid grass fire come closer and closer. Yay for Volunteer Firefighters! Response time was about 20 minutes. (we live in the middle of nowhere). So, they got it all put out. Go back to the pool, getting in and scrubbing, done for the day. Go to get out, and pool ladder wobbles while I am on top of it. (above ground pool, l was about 4foot in the air). Hubby goes to grab it; but momentum has me. I land, tuck and roll, and just lay for a while. Turns out, badly bruised the left, mildly bruised the right. called it a day. Sunday, hobbled around, finished scrubbing the steps, get them setup inside the pool, final rinse, tried to figure out where the blood is coming from..I managed to cut three fingers while scrubbing the stupid stairs. Finally get pool filled up. No salt.....ugh. Lots of Wild Turkey may have been consumed. And ibuprofen. (not together)
Oh man that sounds like such a rough few days. On the other hand I'm sitting here cackling like a lunatic from your descriptions so thank you.

killerleaf

beware, beyond there be dragons
10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
dazed and confused
Status
Academic Administration
Ok, so NOW I can laugh about it. @Coopah I am happy to make other people smile!

And yes, doctor confirmed, just a deep bruise, nothing broken. walking around in a "moon boot". fun times. LOL

Ms Procrastinator

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Nov 28, 2017
What I perceive as Hell.
Status
Pre-Medical
What the f:rage::rage:k is wrong with youtube. Everytime I watch a youtube video there's an unskipable ad and then right after that there's another ad. It drives me nuts! Just another way to make more money I guess.

Reactions: Coopah and SkiOtter

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
Hopefully just a muscle sprain/strain and will go away with rest.
Thanks, me too. My PT is between that and unfortunately something disk related. He even said a Dr is likely just to refer me to PT right off the bat anyway as I doubt I'm anything surgical at this point in time. For the time being, I've got some exercise to do to work on some core strength and bracing for the big lifts and he did some myofascial release so my back is currently like 5 shades of purple and on fire but I think it has reduced some of the pain.

Reactions: vetmedhead

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Thanks, me too. My PT is between that and unfortunately something disk related. He even said a Dr is likely just to refer me to PT right off the bat anyway as I doubt I'm anything surgical at this point in time. For the time being, I've got some exercise to do to work on some core strength and bracing for the big lifts and he did some myofascial release so my back is currently like 5 shades of purple and on fire but I think it has reduced some of the pain.
Honestly the best thing I was ever given for back pain/possible disk issue was a muscle relaxer, so it still may be worthwhile to pop into your Dr to see if you might be able to get at least that.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Honestly the best thing I was ever given for back pain/possible disk issue was a muscle relaxer, so it still may be worthwhile to pop into your Dr to see if you might be able to get at least that.
Oh man my robaxin was a life saver. Sadly flexeril has never done anything for my back and that’s all I had ever been given for the past many years </3

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
I'll mention it to them next week when I'm there. No point in making another appointment right this second. Mainly cause I only really have tomorrow and Friday off between now and then. But true, it definitely may be helpful.

Reactions: DVMDream

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I'll mention it to them next week when I'm there. No point in making another appointment right this second. Mainly cause I only really have tomorrow and Friday off between now and then. But true, it definitely may be helpful.
It was so amazing but I had a lot of spasms when my back was pissed off. Just a fair warning they can make you drowsy but they definitely helped more than pain meds.

vetmedhead

I hope my heart goes first!
2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
in bed
Status
Veterinary Student
Analgesia is the most important thing for any injury. If you don't tackle pain early on it becomes that much harder to control it later.... wind up and allodynia are things we don't want. That's like not giving pain meds to a limping dog because "the pain will keep them calm." Not recommended. Control pain, learn to rest if injured as a human, crate dogs that are injured.
We had a huge discussion about this in school - good pain control is good medicine and there is no real benefit to letting patients feel pain so they "guard the wound" or "stay calm". I would say this is doubly true for hideously painful things like back injury, where you can definitely hurt other things by avoiding movements that exacerbate the back pain and that cause significant quality of life issues without pain control.
Sorry everything seemed to go wrong this weekend! Glad you are on the mend and hopefully you can enjoy your pool time without distractions soon :)

Reactions: DVMDream

johnnaboo

wine lover
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Best of luck with PT! I have chronic neck issues that flared up a lot last year during my gap year (because most days I was bent over a dissecting microscope) and PT was the only thing that helped. The massages were both incredibly painful and wonderful.
Oh man my robaxin was a life saver. Sadly flexeril has never done anything for my back and that’s all I had ever been given for the past many years </3
My mom has chronic migraines and sees a really good headache doctor for them. He said he never gives flexeril anymore because it doesn’t do anything other than make you fall asleep.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
He said he never gives flexeril anymore because it doesn’t do anything other than make you fall asleep.
It just gives me a wicked stomachache but doesn't do jack squat for spasm relief; no drowsiness either. I don't even know why it's so popular with PCPs.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Best of luck with PT! I have chronic neck issues that flared up a lot last year during my gap year (because most days I was bent over a dissecting microscope) and PT was the only thing that helped. The massages were both incredibly painful and wonderful.
I've never been to a PT that does massage or myofascial release. Wish I could find a good one.

Reactions: johnnaboo

orca2011

PennWe c/o 2016!!!
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Rhode Island
Status
Veterinarian
I've never been to a PT that does massage or myofascial release. Wish I could find a good one.
My first PT for rotator cuff issues did it and I'm pretty sure her organization was a chain (Excel???). I'm sticking with my current one since he's also one of my olympic lifting coaches and I know he's not going to judge me or tell me to stop unless it's absolutely necessary. I CrossFit a good bit and get a judged a lot because of the bad form stigma. I know my form is not 100% perfect all the time and that is mainly on me for not taking the time to pay attention to it when I'm fatigued. Additionally, I'm fairly certain he's going to be cheaper than anyone else even with insurance. I think I paid like 80/session in Philly with my insurance and he wants half of that.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
My mom has chronic migraines and sees a really good headache doctor for them. He said he never gives flexeril anymore because it doesn’t do anything other than make you fall asleep.
Yeah I’ve been prescribed it multiple times over the past 11 years and have always said it doesn’t help and yet I kept getting it prescribed. ER gave me robaxin which is :lovey:

capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
This is kind of a self rant because I'm dumb lol
About a month ago I sprained my ankle. It's been healing, slowly but surely, but I've also been working a lot…on my feet. Maybe not the smartest thing to do but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Today I was trying to check if there was more Flovent on a high shelf and I jumped…and landed on my ankle. Ouch.

• Sad
Reactions: StayingPositive2017

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
It just gives me a wicked stomachache but doesn't do jack squat for spasm relief; no drowsiness either. I don't even know why it's so popular with PCPs.
It worked miracles for me. Love me some cyclobenzaprine... the first few doses made my a bit drowsy but after that I was fine.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Myofascial release shouldn't cause bruising... the whole point of it is very very light touch. If it is causing bruising, someone is being much too firm.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
@Elkhart that does not sound right to me. I'm with PBC that when you have a moment that you call customer service to see what happened. Once you know where the problem is, you can make a plan on how to fix it.

We love you and you are welcome to message me, especially on messenger. We got your back!

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
I've had 2 friends pass away in the last 2 weeks, both unexpectedly, and now I'm learning that one of them was accused of some pretty bad stuff, and I'm really struggling to comprehend all of this.
I'm so sorry, we love and support you.

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
I agree with everyone else @Elkhart, that doesn’t seem right for no longer than you’ve been out of school. Loan servicers are notoriously inept so I would call and ask if it’s right. Have someone explain to you exactly how that can be right because that seems too horrible to be real. Escalate to managers as needed.

Reactions: Coopah
Feb 19, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So fun fact for the day I haven’t had the best day. But I’m not gonna get into it, then to top off this fabulous day, I get a birthday card from my father (albeit way too early for my actual birthday on the 25th) who chooses to not involve himself anymore now that I don’t handhold him through the process.

Really he removed himself from the process beginning of April by cussing me out and basically telling me to take my own life. But he has my sister a six year old who still needs a dad but I chose not to handhold him through that so he could actually see her and talk to her, because apparently I’m the glue that holds our entire family together, so if we aren’t on good terms he just doesn’t speak to anyone. Ugh. Sorry for the ramble but ya know getting the card unlocked the box of feelings as well as Father’s Day around the corner. :(

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
So fun fact for the day I haven’t had the best day. But I’m not gonna get into it, then to top off this fabulous day, I get a birthday card from my father (albeit way too early for my actual birthday on the 25th) who chooses to not involve himself anymore now that I don’t handhold him through the process.

Really he removed himself from the process beginning of April by cussing me out and basically telling me to take my own life. But he has my sister a six year old who still needs a dad but I chose not to handhold him through that so he could actually see her and talk to her, because apparently I’m the glue that holds our entire family together, so if we aren’t on good terms he just doesn’t speak to anyone. Ugh. Sorry for the ramble but ya know getting the card unlocked the box of feelings as well as Father’s Day around the corner. :(
I'm really sorry dolphino, if you ever need to talk my PM box is always there

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
Thanks! Idk why I let it get to me at this point. I should know better :laugh:
If we could control that reaction we would be invincible, so I think it's the world's way of balancing us out because otherwise everyone would tremble before you!

JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
poof in case
Glad to hear things maybe aren’t as bad as they seemed initially! You’re not a moron...at all. Anyone would have had a horrible feeling when seeing that drastic, unexpected jump. Anyone. You asked for help, and now that the shock has worn off you’ve realized it’s not as bad as initially thought. Those are perfectly reasonable reactions, in my opinion. I see posts all the time on VIN and in the vet-only Facebook groups about people who just bury their head in the sand in regards to their loans, so since you are actively managing them, figuring out what is best for you, and working to pay them off (even if it’s slowly/$0 right this minute), you’re already more proactive than some! I’m glad bats was able to help figure things out some and I hope the services clarifies more when you contact them.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
@Elkhart always happy to help!! :) Like Jayna said, you're not a moron or an idiot. I would've freaked out too (and probs called my mom who has never seen a school loan in her life lol). Your reaction was completely valid and nothing to apologize for. You worked through it after the initial shock and that's what matters!

Reactions: Coopah and SkiOtter

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
@Elkhart out of all the things to feel like an idiot over, worrying about owing a lot more than you thought isn’t one of them. You were definitely right to feel concerned and that drove you to look into the problem. Don’t feel bad for being frantic! There’s not really much else to feel in the moment, and you got it taken care of.

DVMDream

DVMNightmare
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
Poofy poof
No you aren't a moron this is normal to freak out over. I'd have freaked out. I have freak outs over much smaller things then when I calm down, gather my thoughts and take a second glance, I realize my error. You're human, I'd say it would be worse if you didn't freak out, any normal human would've panicked.

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Hubs bought a house in Minneapolis back in 2011 (we were dating at the time). I moved in with him during vet school. Got married and we moved to Chicago for my residency, but he kept the house and we've been renting it out to his brother and another family that is friends with his brother.

On Wednesday, the neighbors garage caught fire, and it spread to our house (the Minneapolis one). The entire garage is gone and the insurance adjustor thinks the house itself is toast due to smoke and water damage. Hubs is on a bus now to Minneapolis to try to help out his brother and see what he can/should be doing about the house.

It's a nightmare, and I keep selfishly being super grateful that we weren't there. The only things we had left there were some yardwork supplies (lawnmower, rake, tools, etc) in the garage and our 55 gal fish tank - of which apparently the fish have survived.

In case anyone is curious: Explosion, fire damages 2 homes in New Hope

supershorty

Minnesota c/o 2020ish
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
Hubs bought a house in Minneapolis back in 2011 (we were dating at the time). I moved in with him during vet school. Got married and we moved to Chicago for my residency, but he kept the house and we've been renting it out to his brother and another family that is friends with his brother.

On Wednesday, the neighbors garage caught fire, and it spread to our house (the Minneapolis one). The entire garage is gone and the insurance adjustor thinks the house itself is toast due to smoke and water damage. Hubs is on a bus now to Minneapolis to try to help out his brother and see what he can/should be doing about the house.

It's a nightmare, and I keep selfishly being super grateful that we weren't there. The only things we had left there were some yardwork supplies (lawnmower, rake, tools, etc) in the garage and our 55 gal fish tank - of which apparently the fish have survived.

In case anyone is curious: Explosion, fire damages 2 homes in New Hope
Oh nooooo :( that's awful. If there's anything I can do to help you guys - or if your hubs needs a place to stay while he's up here - let me know.