RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most things are as they appear on the surface without reading the fine print.

As someone who often reads the fine print... I'm not sure I agree with this. There's a reason they put it in fine print.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My husband flys enough to be fancy level (he does AA mostly) and I’m reading this and I’m surprised some of you don’t think it be like it is (but it do)! Everybody wants yo money. Cheap means lots of sacrifice elsewhere. And travel insurance is like 99% horse shet.

Reactions: 5 users
My husband flys enough to be fancy level (he does AA mostly) and I’m reading this and I’m surprised some of you don’t think it be like it is (but it do)! Everybody wants yo money. Cheap means lots of sacrifice elsewhere. And travel insurance is like 99% horse shet.
But if airlines really cared they'd let you fly for free.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a really cheap flight through allegiant!!! It was great, love that it’s direct from the airport close to my house. But I am sad for all these flying horror stories, delta is not good in my area (at least in my experience). Also have done southwest, love them. And some other airline that the name is escaping me one of the American ones, like United or American Airlines I can’t remember.

However allegiant is kinda like frontier in that they have a lot of options to “upgrade” or charge more money for seemingly necessary things if you don’t read thoroughly enough. So that’s fun.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the neverending fee story this trip has turned into is mostly my own fault for not being very travel savvy. I don't fly often (half of all my flying experience has been in the last six months, actually) and it helps when you're in a group and everyone is choosing tickets and navigating fees together. Although it sucks that this airline wasn't the great deal I thought I was getting, at least I'll be more aware of what to look for next time. :shrug:

I flew Allegiant when my grandmother died. It was an okay experience. Took the dog and that went fine. My biggest concern with them is (at least to the places I need to travel) they only offer one flight a day or sometimes it’s only two or three flights a week between those locations. I’m always too scared to fly with them when I have a set schedule to keep because if the flight is delayed or cancelled, there are no other options but pay a ton to get a last minute flight on another airline.

Very minor rant, but it's really irritating me that I'm apparently a cat. I keep getting a pill stuck... always the same pill, always the same place. Now I have esophageal ulceration from it. Like... really?? :penguin:

• Sad
Human pill pocket = take a little marshmallow and turn it inside out over the pill. Then swallow it whole. Coats it long enough to make it to your stomach (and no nasty dissolved pill flavor).

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Human pill pocket = take a little marshmallow and turn it inside out over the pill. Then swallow it whole. Coats it long enough to make it to your stomach (and no nasty dissolved pill flavor).
It has to be taken on a completely empty stomach, like several hours away from anything else, or it won't be absorbed. :(

I wouldn't be able to do this. I know I've swallowed pills larger than a small marshmallow but the thought of swallowing a marshmallow without chewing would psyche me out and I'd choke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain to me how th star wars ship ended up with a name like it did? I keep hearing it on the radio (haven't seen star wars) and take issue with it

Do they even have falcons in star wars?
Why do they use the word Millennium? A Millennium is one thousand years. A year is how long it takes the earth to go around the sun.
They aren't on earth.

Can someone explain to me how th star wars ship ended up with a name like it did? I keep hearing it on the radio (haven't seen star wars) and take issue with it

Do they even have falcons in star wars?
Why do they use the word Millennium? A Millennium is one thousand years. A year is how long it takes the earth to go around the sun.
They aren't on earth.

You got beef with my iconic girl the Millennium Falcon? I'll go rounds with you!!!!!!

(ps: I'm disappointed there is no emoji that looks like it's squaring up for a fight)

You got beef with my iconic girl the Millennium Falcon? I'll go rounds with you!!!!!!

(ps: I'm disappointed there is no emoji that looks like it's squaring up for a fight)
starwars.gif

• Love
As with most fantasy series it's best to suspend a little disbelief and just enjoy it for what it is.

There is a Star Wars book that says the 'falcon' part of Millennium Falcon was derived from some animals called bat-falcons on some planet. But that's technically no longer canon since they decided with the new Star Wars movies to make all of the extended universe material non-canon (even though they borrowed a couple names/plot ideas pretty heavily from a few of the EU books).

As for millennium... it sounds cool. These movies were written in the 70s and it probably seemed futuristic at the time lol

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Wait, really? I'm no Star Wars/Trek geek, but that's crazy slow. Like, the International Space Station's orbital speed is 27,744 km/h. Earth's escape velocity is 11.2 km/s = 40,320 km/h.
I think somebody handwaved it by saying that was a max speed in atmosphere and it goes significantly faster in space, but I think the more obvious explanation is that the same people who didn't know that a parsec is a unit of distance and not time probably also had no idea what would be considered fast in space speeds lol

Reactions: 2 users
I got daydrunk today (not a rant. I had fun). Now it’s 6:45pm and I’m hungover.

This is why I don’t daydrink.

• Haha
I think somebody handwaved it by saying that was a max speed in atmosphere and it goes significantly faster in space,
A max speed that slow in atmosphere means it's forever doomed to never escaping a planet's gravitational pull to even get into space. :p

but I think the more obvious explanation is that the same people who didn't know that a parsec is a unit of distance and not time probably also had no idea what would be considered fast in space speeds lol
Ugh, it'll be like 5 light-years before Coffee's TP game is done! :mad:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
A max speed that slow in atmosphere means it's forever doomed to never escaping a planet's gravitational pull to even get into space. :p

Ugh, it'll be like 5 light-years before Coffee's TP game is done! :mad:

Revert back to the post about suspension of disbelief. Lol

Pigs. Why they gotta be so melodramatic?

I worked with pigs for the first time last week - we collected blood samples from 8 hogs that were trailered to the clinic.

Needless to say, it was pretty ridiculous. :lol:

My heart hurts. Today I lost my best friend (my beagle). It was a hard choice to put him to sleep this morning. I wasn’t ready to let him go, but he was suffering so much throughout the early morning hours. I’m so sad. I’ve been preparing myself for this day, but I feel like I let him down. We couldn’t finish everything on the bucket list I made him...

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
My heart hurts. Today I lost my best friend (my beagle). It was a hard choice to put him to sleep this morning. I wasn’t ready to let him go, but he was suffering so much throughout the early morning hours. I’m so sad. I’ve been preparing myself for this day, but I feel like I let him down. We couldn’t finish everything on the bucket list I made him...
So incredibly sorry for your loss, but it does sound like it was the right decision if he truly was suffering that much. Don’t feel as if you let him down; I am sure that he sensed just how much you loved him and appreciated everything you did for him all the way up to, and including, his last moments. <3

@blueheeler Very sorry you lost your beagle. :(

It's heartbreaking to lose our pets, even when we know it's time to let them cross the rainbow bridge.

Sending lots of kind and gentle thoughts to you. We're here for you!

Reactions: 2 users
I just kinda had a ****ty day yesterday. Not really anything I can really point to other than work was stressful. I think what really stressed me was going from working a four hour shift on Sunday at a super slow store with really nice and understanding patients to an eight hour shift yesterday at the busiest store in the state with very demanding patients.

Also I previously mentioned my vet's mixup with my dog's trilostane dosage; this time they actually gave us the wrong dosage. And they're capsules so we can't cut them. Fortunately we have one day of the old dose left but that still means we have to get it replaced today. (I actually just called as I was writing this and they're gonna replace it today and refund us the difference so there's one less stress.)

Also also when my anxiety flares up I get nauseous when I eat and that's back so that's fun :thumbup:

I drive a 2006 prius (which is hilarious to poke fun at but I gotta say I love that 45mpg), and I've had it since highschool. It's a dumb car who's now over 200,000 miles and has come with me literally all over the country. It has special setimental value because my parents got it for me, however it was primarily my dad who did the research/bargaining/etc, he had the enthusiasm for washing it, and reminding me of oil changes, giving me a gauge for checking tire pressure, etc. He passed three years ago exactly as of Thursday.

I replaced the hybrid battery on it last year at a mom & pop shop, and while it was a painful $3000, it was worth not having to replace the car. Now, these are supposed to last like 150k miles/8 years ish. It's been one year and I find out that my hybrid battery is shot again. I can't call the place I originally got it fixed in because they don't open yet (time zones), but I'm scared they're going to tell me that there's no warranty because of the fact it wasn't replaced at the dealer.

This car isn't worth more than like 2500, so I'm hesitant to drop more than that on another battery. I have an appointment with the toyota dealership in a couple hours but I'm scared of what they're going to tell me. I don't want to get rid of this car, man. But I also don't want to keep dropping hella $$$ on repairs that are not sticking. :dead:

I drive a 2006 prius (which is hilarious to poke fun at but I gotta say I love that 45mpg), and I've had it since highschool. It's a dumb car who's now over 200,000 miles and has come with me literally all over the country. It has special setimental value because my parents got it for me, however it was primarily my dad who did the research/bargaining/etc, he had the enthusiasm for washing it, and reminding me of oil changes, giving me a gauge for checking tire pressure, etc. He passed three years ago exactly as of Thursday.

I replaced the hybrid battery on it last year at a mom & pop shop, and while it was a painful $3000, it was worth not having to replace the car. Now, these are supposed to last like 150k miles/8 years ish. It's been one year and I find out that my hybrid battery is shot again. I can't call the place I originally got it fixed in because they don't open yet (time zones), but I'm scared they're going to tell me that there's no warranty because of the fact it wasn't replaced at the dealer.

This car isn't worth more than like 2500, so I'm hesitant to drop more than that on another battery. I have an appointment with the toyota dealership in a couple hours but I'm scared of what they're going to tell me. I don't want to get rid of this car, man. But I also don't want to keep dropping hella $$$ on repairs that are not sticking. :dead:
WTH. My 2010 insight (the honda version of a prius) had a battery replaced about a year and a half ago for less than $200.

IMO, you should upgrade

I feel this. Just over a year ago, I had to let go of my 1997 Chevy Suburban (named Burban) with 190k miles on him. Been driving him since high school. But he needed 4k worth of work, and my parents needed to step in to be the voice of reason. I just couldn't let him go myself.

I for one will always say, "Fix the car!" so I'm not a good influence. But I hope you get it figured out.

I feel this. Just over a year ago, I had to let go of my 1997 Chevy Suburban (named Burban) with 190k miles on him. Been driving him since high school. But he needed 4k worth of work, and my parents needed to step in to be the voice of reason. I just couldn't let him go myself.

I for one will always say, "Fix the car!" so I'm not a good influence. But I hope you get it figured out.
Oh man... I feel you all! I had to let go of my 1998 3/4 ton Suburban (Precious) when I started vet school. Her front end was shot, and I couldn't justify the gas mileage with the amount I knew I was going to be on the highway, but my husband still had to force me to sell her. That was in 2014, and even though my little sedan is pretty great I still miss that truck like crazy!!

Actually... remember how I said I test-drove my future grad gift last week? I miss it enough that that gift is a Yukon XL Denali.

• Love
WTH. My 2010 insight (the honda version of a prius) had a battery replaced about a year and a half ago for less than $200.

IMO, you should upgrade

The prius has two types of batteries - the normal battery that you find in other cars that is a couple hundred to replace, and the BIG BOY HYBRID BATTERY that is the kicker. :grumpy:

• Wow
Are you 100% sure the battery is shot??
I took it in for diagnostics since I got 749832743 dash lights yelling at me. That's what the guy at the shop told me, though since he doesn't do hybrid batteries, I have an appointment later today with a toyota dealership to get all the details.

Part 2 to the saga: I also called the mom & pop shop where I got the battery originally (back in California, currently I'm in MD) and he's being really helpful in figuring out if there's a warranty on it, etc. He's like "Don't make any decisions yet dear!! We'll get this figured out!" It was really sweet.

Reactions: 6 users
Actually... remember how I said I test-drove my future grad gift last week? I miss it enough that that gift is a Yukon XL Denali.

My dream vehicle is a Pontiac Solstice, candy apple red or black. My realistic dream vehicle is a 90s suburban redone (obviously), or a 2010s suburban or later. The 2000-2009 suburban was not attractive.

• Haha
My dream vehicle is a Pontiac Solstice, candy apple red or black. My realistic dream vehicle is a 90s suburban redone (obviously), or a 2010s suburban or later. The 2000-2009 suburban was not attractive.
Ooo, my dream car is an Audi TT Roadstar convertible, yellow

2019-audi-tt-1545083863.jpg

look at her
gorgeous

Reactions: 4 users
Ooo, my dream car is an Audi TT Roadstar convertible, yellow

2019-audi-tt-1545083863.jpg

look at her
gorgeous

Very pretty!!!!

Every time my dad or I finds a Solstice, it's always a stick shift. My first car was a stick shift and we tried to teach me for 3 months. Just couldn't figure out the third pedal cause my feet are dumb (see my medical history). It's just so disappointing.

• Sad
See I didn't mind the 2000-2009 that much. I have more issues with the low wrap around front end on the newest models. Will likely be lifting mine 4" if they don't fix that in the next few years.

Just say no... to parkades lol

See I didn't mind the 2000-2009 that much. I have more issues with the low wrap around front end on the newest models. Will likely be lifting mine 4" if they don't fix that in the next few years.

Just say no... to parkades lol

The new vehicles (ingeneral, not even just the suburbans) will never be as good as the old vehicles. With Burban being a 97, no plastic paneling whatsoever. I appreciated that level of safety for driving him (though I understand why we've changed over to plastic paneling and agree it was an overall good move for safety of everyone interacting with the vehicle in an accident). New vehicles just don't have the same look to me that I love about 80-90s trucks.

The new vehicles (ingeneral, not even just the suburbans) will never be as good as the old vehicles. With Burban being a 97, no plastic paneling whatsoever. I appreciated that level of safety for driving him (though I understand why we've changed over to plastic paneling and agree it was an overall good move for safety of everyone interacting with the vehicle in an accident). New vehicles just don't have the same look to me that I love about 80-90s trucks.
Not only safety, though obviously that's the most important factor, but going plastic definitely helps the gas mileage as well. Personally I feel safer in that big of a vehicle regardless of what it's made of. I don't always feel safer with others driving them, depending on how good a driver they are lol, but I learned in something almost that big so to me it's second nature.

And for sure, definitely not the same look at all!

I learned in something almost that big so to me it's second nature.

My new car is a 2006 Ford Escape (pronounced like Dory in Finding Nemo), and I suddenly lost the capability to drive well for a week while I adjusted to the size. Still don't feel as comfortable in snow/ice as I used to in Burban.

My new car is a 2006 Ford Escape (pronounced like Dory in Finding Nemo), and I suddenly lost the capability to drive well for a week while I adjusted to the size. Still don't feel as comfortable in snow/ice as I used to in Burban.
As soon as I pulled the one I test-drove out of park I was like "aahhh... that's better!" :)