RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
My kitty died almost a full year ago, and I still miss her so much :,(

Like it feels like my life has been split in two stages. Life with kitty. And life without kitty. And I’m a crazy cat lady who now has a ton of cats and it’s just still not the same.

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
I’m kinda sorta buying a Subaru Outback today...
UGH I SO WANT A SUBARU for my future car. So I am jelly.
We just ordered a Forester last week and I am so excited to be able to sit in the front passenger seat again! (Spoiler alert, carseats are ginormous and you have to push the seat in front of it aaaalllllll the way forward if you have a tiny Honda Fit).

We just ordered a Forester last week and I am so excited to be able to sit in the front passenger seat again! (Spoiler alert, carseats are ginormous and you have to push the seat in front of it aaaalllllll the way forward if you have a tiny Honda Fit).

I have a different reason for needing it, but it would definitely work well for kids. Lots of space.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to kill my husband for his complete inability to manage money. I mean, this isn't new, but.... We have one income. I'm going to vet school without student loans. We have a teenager. We have pets. Him repeatedly blowing the budget isn't a small problem!!!

• Sad
Aaaannnddd likely totaled my car. Mom and I were moving my dog and me to AZ for an internship, there was a huge car part on the freeway we couldn’t avoid, all the car lights started flashing and apparently we trashed the bottom of the car. Now I’m a rental, only 4 hours behind schedule for the day. Luckily we’re all ok, we just have bad luck with road trips!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best decision you’ll ever make. I have a 2003 Outback with 230,000+ miles on her currently. I’ve had her for 7 years now. She’s still going strong and she’s amazing in the snow.

I’m glad to hear it. I bought her with 30k miles (they hold their value, damn) and I’m gonna put miles on her pretty fast, but hopefully not too bad. Glad to know she should keep going for me. I have a 7yr/100k mike warranty... so there’s that.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my kitties is sick and I'm incredibly worried about him. :(

Usually my cats are frantic feline vacuum cleaners, and my one guy has barely touched food since Monday (maybe 1/8 can of wet total). Brought him into the vet Tuesday (which he decided to eat a teaspoon of food right before and 2 treats at the office) and physical exam was deemed normal and him sent home. No other signs other than inappetence. Since then he has barely done more than licked at wet food. Now even with Mirtazapine on board he isn't interested in canned tuna or the juice which is his all-time favourite treat. On top of that, as of today he got noticeably more lethargic and has been sitting in a more hunched position than normal since I got home.

Definitely bringing him back to the clinic tomorrow, but my gut is telling me this isn't something minor.

• Sad
Aaaannnddd likely totaled my car. Mom and I were moving my dog and me to AZ for an internship, there was a huge car part on the freeway we couldn’t avoid, all the car lights started flashing and apparently we trashed the bottom of the car. Now I’m a rental, only 4 hours behind schedule for the day. Luckily we’re all ok, we just have bad luck with road trips!

Let me know when you get here and are sort of settled, we'll get lunch or drinks or ice cream or something. :)

One of my kitties is sick and I'm incredibly worried about him. :(

Usually my cats are frantic feline vacuum cleaners, and my one guy has barely touched food since Monday (maybe 1/8 can of wet total). Brought him into the vet Tuesday (which he decided to eat a teaspoon of food right before and 2 treats at the office) and physical exam was deemed normal and him sent home. No other signs other than inappetence. Since then he has barely done more than licked at wet food. Now even with Mirtazapine on board he isn't interested in canned tuna or the juice which is his all-time favourite treat. On top of that, as of today he got noticeably more lethargic and has been sitting in a more hunched position than normal since I got home.

Definitely bringing him back to the clinic tomorrow, but my gut is telling me this isn't something minor.
I hope you get some answers BBC, and I hope he's feeling better soon.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Very minor rant... I strained my left elbow at the gym yesterday. I can't get my coffee cup to my mouth with that hand. Good thing I'm right handed!

TW suicide

So, my sister's long term boyfriend killed himself several years ago. He was like a brother to me. It's his birthday today. And I can't keep it together. I'm literally on the verge of sobbing in the library. and I need to bike home soon. honestly, why is life so ****ing unfair? why does everything have to be so goddamn sad all the time? I hate this feeling

please dont quote, thx

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
I’m glad to hear it. I bought her with 30k miles (they hold their value, damn) and I’m gonna put miles on her pretty fast, but hopefully not too bad. Glad to know she should keep going for me. I have a 7yr/100k mike warranty... so there’s that.

Personally...I won’t get another Soob. We have a 2013 Impreza hatchback, manual transmission. Seems like things go wrong frequently. A bunch of them were burning oil so we had to have motor replaced. Headlights last like 5 minutes (even the LEDs hubs put in). Seat heaters stopped working years ago. Rides too low/deep wheel wells to be good in deeper snow. I think the interior is crappy.

The exterior is cute, decent mileage and definitely holds value. Just seems like a lot of “not worth it”. I’ve been driving Fords since ever and have had very few issues. 2006 F150 has only ever needed regular maintenance. Obviously YMMV - and hopefully does!

Personally...I won’t get another Soob. We have a 2013 Impreza hatchback, manual transmission. Seems like things go wrong frequently. A bunch of them were burning oil so we had to have motor replaced. Headlights last like 5 minutes (even the LEDs hubs put in). Seat heaters stopped working years ago. Rides too low/deep wheel wells to be good in deeper snow. I think the interior is crappy.

The exterior is cute, decent mileage and definitely holds value. Just seems like a lot of “not worth it”. I’ve been driving Fords since ever and have had very few issues. 2006 F150 has only ever needed regular maintenance. Obviously YMMV - and hopefully does!

The Outback is set a lot higher up than the Impreza, and the issues with burning oil are more the earlier models - this is a 2018, so hopefully it doesn't happen.

I don't even care about the seat warmers - I'd much rather have cooled seats around here. But they don't do those.

I guess we'll see what happens, and hopefully a lot can fall under the warranty...

My Mustang just needed the entire condenser replaced for the A/C system and they had to take out the dash and everything. It only has 12,500 miles on it...

The Outback is set a lot higher up than the Impreza, and the issues with burning oil are more the earlier models - this is a 2018, so hopefully it doesn't happen.

I don't even care about the seat warmers - I'd much rather have cooled seats around here. But they don't do those.

I guess we'll see what happens, and hopefully a lot can fall under the warranty...

My Mustang just needed the entire condenser replaced for the A/C system and they had to take out the dash and everything. It only has 12,500 miles on it...

It’s funny- I feel like there’s a bad experience out there for every car and certain people swear they will never buy x/y/z again.

And yeah, I don’t imagine you’d ever want the seat heaters :laugh: sure was nice up in Canada though!

UGH DO I HAVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT MY FORD. It’s a 2012 and I wish I could have my 1998 Subaru back... :laugh:

UGH DO I HAVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT MY FORD. It’s a 2012 and I wish I could have my 1998 Subaru back... :laugh:
My last car was a 2001 Ford explorer with 300+ miles on it. It was a rough ride towards the end but definitely held its own.
I'm in a Mazda CX-5 now, picked it based on some research and am not sure how I feel about it 3 months in :confused:

I'm happy with my current Kia. GM vehicles have always treated me right. Never had a Ford without major issues.

I was counting Chevy under GM ;)

I have a 1995 Volvo which is fun because

1.) European

and

2.) Old

For those reasons it's really difficult to find people to work on it. The PNP switch is bad (a new development as of two days ago) and no one in the area will touch anything related to it's transmission. Some lovely person backed into me yesterday and didn't leave a note, so I left work to find a busted tail light and damage to my trunk. My luck this week hasn't been great.

• Sad
I have a little bitty Nissan. I can park it sideways and still be within the lines. It makes for some very entertaining "you've gotta be kidding" parallel parking jobs

I have a 1995 Volvo which is fun because

1.) European

and

2.) Old

For those reasons it's really difficult to find people to work on it. The PNP switch is bad (a new development as of two days ago) and no one in the area will touch anything related to it's transmission. Some lovely person backed into me yesterday and didn't leave a note, so I left work to find a busted tail light and damage to my trunk. My luck this week hasn't been great.
I learned to drive in a 99 Volvo. My mom swears by Volvo and has a 2018 model now. They're fun cars when they aren't so old nobody will touch them :(

GM vehicles have always treated me right.
Oof. I'll never, ever buy another GM vehicle. Money pits.

Never had a Ford without major issues.
Same. My last '06 Taurus had alternator and electrical failures (dangerous when you lose all power in the dark on a highway with people behind you), had unintended acceleration (which kills people who don't know how to handle it), and the thing that kilt is was the transmission crapped out due to poor design of the torque converter (small teeth). I still need to file 2 NHTSA reports, dang it.

They reintroduced the Ford Ranger, which might be OK if I don't wanna splurge on a Toyota Tacoma.

------
Subies are fantastic except head gasket failures on 2003 and earlier models. I can't remember what Scotty Kilmer (YouTube mechanic in Houston) said about newer Subies -- good except automatic transmissions might be meh?

In the four years I've had Tali we've always had skunks in the neighborhood/living nearby. Tali often has her last potty time around 1am if I'm up that late. It's never been a problem.

Guess what.

No really, guess.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
In the four years I've had Tali we've always had skunks in the neighborhood/living nearby. Tali often has her last potty time around 1am if I'm up that late. It's never been a problem.

Guess what.

No really, guess.

Oh no:( A couple summers back, my friend’s two 80lb+ dogs got skunked in her backyard twice in one week. The universe owes that girl an ice cream cone.

Some lady just backed into my car while I was stopped behind her trying to leave a parking lot. :lame:
At least here, the driver in reverse is automatically at fault. I hope it's the same where you are.

So my biopsies were normal. That probably sounds like it should be a good thing, but it means that we still don't know what the heck is wrong with me and it's getting worse. More testing coming at me. I guess it's a good thing I'm not in fourth year right now?

Reactions: 6 users
Oh no:( A couple summers back, my friend’s two 80lb+ dogs got skunked in her backyard twice in one week. The universe owes that girl an ice cream cone.
To be fair it could have been way worse. My mom's dog is known for chasing skunks so we had two full bottles of skunk shampoo on hand, and I have no idea what I would have done without that.

When I did wildlife rehab, I had to like ice bath this one adolescent skunk’s feet daily, and I got sprayed like daily. This place was so questionable I doubt there was any real value to whatever it was I was doing, but oh well. The universe owes me gazillion gallons of ice cream!

Did something to my back while on vacation. I noticed it while lifting but the weights I used were not anything I haven't done before for wayy higher reps. Entirely possible I didn't warm up enough, etc, but I'm two weeks out and I still have pain. I cannot deadlift or squat with any weight and doing some simple tasks aggravate it (like picking up the laundry basket or sitting certain ways). One of my Oly lifting coaches is a PT so I have an appointment with him tonight and a GP appointment next week anyway and I'll mention it there. I know the GP will initially say NSAIDs and rest but I am feeling super lazy since I typically lift several times a week, including twice a day sometimes. If I have to be out for like 8+ weeks, I might mentally lose it.

Did something to my back while on vacation. I noticed it while lifting but the weights I used were not anything I haven't done before for wayy higher reps. Entirely possible I didn't warm up enough, etc, but I'm two weeks out and I still have pain. I cannot deadlift or squat with any weight and doing some simple tasks aggravate it (like picking up the laundry basket or sitting certain ways). One of my Oly lifting coaches is a PT so I have an appointment with him tonight and a GP appointment next week anyway and I'll mention it there. I know the GP will initially say NSAIDs and rest but I am feeling super lazy since I typically lift several times a week, including twice a day sometimes. If I have to be out for like 8+ weeks, I might mentally lose it.
I hate questioning doctors but it seems if you have a back injury and don't know what it is, painkillers doesn't seem like a great idea because you could aggravate it more..

I hate questioning doctors but it seems if you have a back injury and don't know what it is, painkillers doesn't seem like a great idea because you could aggravate it more..

Analgesia is the most important thing for any injury. If you don't tackle pain early on it becomes that much harder to control it later.... wind up and allodynia are things we don't want. That's like not giving pain meds to a limping dog because "the pain will keep them calm." Not recommended. Control pain, learn to rest if injured as a human, crate dogs that are injured.

Reactions: 8 users
Analgesia is the most important thing for any injury. If you don't tackle pain early on it becomes that much harder to control it later.... wind up and allodynia are things we don't want. That's like not giving pain meds to a limping dog because "the pain will keep them calm." Not recommended. Control pain, learn to rest if injured as a human, crate dogs that are injured.
For a back injury though?