RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, when the kids were still living at home, and not all grown up like they are now...we would go to Sam's and get TP. In the big packages. There are 6 packages with 12 rolls in each one. so, 72 rolls. Me, my hubby, a 14yo boy, a 12yo girl, a 8yo boy and a 7yo boy. So 6 people. Those 72 rolls lasted 3 months. Granted, during the week, the kids were in school, and hubs and I were working. However, on the weekends, our population grew, as all the kid's friends were at our house. So, all that, and we went thru approximately 24 rolls in a month.

WHY DO YOU NEED 72 rolls for 2 weeks? WHY??

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The chicken section at my local grocery store:

IMG_20200312_190738_01.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Isn't that illegal?
No clue. another vet student posted that. I've gone there once and it was rediculously pricey like idk why anyone would want to shop there on purpose-precorona to begin with. I know Walmart was pretty much out because a classmate actually needed TP and could only find the 2 packs but I think they were regular priced. so :shrug:

For anyone who needs TP, check Home Depot or Lowe’s. Lots of people don’t think to check there but they have it. It’ll either be out and advertised right now or with the cleaning products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone who needs TP, check Home Depot or Lowe’s. Lots of people don’t think to check there but they have it. It’ll either be out and advertised right now or with the cleaning products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Home Depot I went to today was out :/

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I hate the racism towards Asians and specifically Chinese people as COVID-19 continues to spread.
I couldn’t agree more. People have been super racist to a friend of mine at school who just has a cough (and has had it for several weeks). So ****ing rude...

On a completely different note, I saw a post from someone in a celiac group I’m in.The entire row of food at Walmart was all cleared out, except all the gluten free food. I was hysterically laughing. People don’t even wanna even eat the food I have to eat when they think the world is ending.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I couldn’t agree more. People have been super racist to a friend of mine at school who just has a cough (and has had it for several weeks). So ****ing rude...

On a completely different note, I saw a post from someone in a celiac group I’m in.The entire row of food at Walmart was all cleared out, except all the gluten free food. I was hysterically laughing. People don’t even wanna even eat the food I have to eat when they think the world is ending.
While I have been lucky to not have experienced it personally, I have been witness to online attacks on Twitter. I’ve seen people call it the “Kung Flu” or continue calling it the “Chinese coronavirus” or “Wuhan coronavirus” even though it has an official name now. It just perpetuates that stigma. The worst thing I saw was someone that said when we develop a vaccine, we should charge China 100x the cost as punishment. It’s just terrible and it makes me so sad. I get that China’s government screwed up big time, but we can’t blame the citizens for that! And we can’t even blame China!!! A virus can start and mutate anywhere.

this is a good summary of people and the coronavirus

EFFBB515-75F4-4B4B-95D4-013805A574B0.png

• Sad
I buy my TP at the dollar store. Joys of being a student! I'm good for now, but hoping that either it dies down before I need more or people don't think to go there for it.

Also on day 2 of takeout Chinese food. Because it's delicious and also I'm not a paranoid racist.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Missing all of my amazing SDN vettie meddie friends 'cuz we human meddies are rather inundated right now. Miss all of you! :love:

We're swamped with ill and injured peeps .. as well as the "worried well" who clog up the system because they're (understandably) fearful and anxious, and convinced they're dying from COVID-19. But they don't have any sxs, nothing.

But that's enough about that subject, and here is my boring rant:

I could NOT find any TOILET PAPER to buy for my home because there was a run on toilet paper in my town. The shelves were empty!
UPDATE:
A manager at a local store has promised to reserve 2 packages of toilet paper for me (from their next delivery) because peeps are still taking ALL toilet paper from the shelves.

I don't think viruses care very much about using toilet paper, but I kinda like toilet paper!

tp.gif

Last edited:
I've seen my own reaction to this go from "It's a kind of bad flu, everyone, calm down and don't treat Asian people badly" to "Maybe we should be a little more cautious, since it's in our state. And again, patient zero here was not Asian, so stop being xenophobic." Now I'm at the point of wondering whether I'll be the last one standing in my laboratory within this next week. And watching Pandemic on Netflix. And listening to NPR on my podcast app for even longer every day than I normally do. No need to tell me to stop shaking hands. My social distancing has always been distributed generously regardless of race :lol:

Reactions: 1 users
A bunch of my classmates keep saying how covid-19 isn't a big deal because "we're young and healthy, so we won't die if we get it."

But I live with a family member who is immunocompromised and undergoing chemotherapy so it is EXTREMELY frustrating to hear people say stuff like that. If I were to be exposed at school, I literally would not be allowed to go home.

Reactions: 14 users
A bunch of my classmates keep saying how covid-19 isn't a big deal because "we're young and healthy, so we won't die if we get it."

But I live with a family member who is immunocompromised and undergoing chemotherapy so it is EXTREMELY frustrating to hear people say stuff like that. If I were to be exposed at school, I literally would not be allowed to go home.
This is where I'm at. I don't care if I'm not going to die, there are plenty of people who might or who will and I want to do everything I can to reduce their risk.

It shouldn't be this hard to care about other people

Reactions: 14 users

Same!!! I will admit this was my attitude maybe a week ago when all of this was less serious, however, now I’m worried for the health of my relatives. I live with my mom who is immunocompromised due to the medication she is on and my aunt who is in her 70s.

Reactions: 2 users
This is where I'm at. I don't care if I'm not going to die, there are plenty of people who might or who will and I want to do everything I can to reduce their risk.

It shouldn't be this hard to care about other people
Agreed. I never fail to be surprised by some people’s utter dearth of empathy.

Gah, I’m heading back home today to Seattle and I’m feeling conflicted. My boyfriend (that I haven’t seen in months) just texted me saying that he may have a cold/allergies (runny nose, watery eyes, feels congested, but occasional coughs and sneezes, no fever, shortness of breath, no aches, etc). I also have parents in the area that are elderly and one of them is immunocompromised.

Our health department states to not call unless you have symptoms, and my boyfriend tends to overreact when it comes to illnesses in general.

He has also decided to not see my parents anymore so I guess I have to make the decision of whether I want to see him and hope he’s right it’s probably just the cold or not see him at all and visit my parents only. Sucks that we have a planned trip in a few days to head to the Oregon coast.

Now time for a petty rant: I have a corneal scratch and it's driving me crazy. It's not overwhelmingly painful but enough that it's very distracting and hurts every time I blink. I never noticed how often I blink before... I blink a lot. I'm not sure when I can get into the doctor with the craziness going on.

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Gah, I’m heading back home today to Seattle and I’m feeling conflicted. My boyfriend (that I haven’t seen in months) just texted me saying that he may have a cold/allergies (runny nose, watery eyes, feels congested, but occasional coughs and sneezes, no fever, shortness of breath, no aches, etc). I also have parents in the area that are elderly and one of them is immunocompromised.

Our health department states to not call unless you have symptoms, and my boyfriend tends to overreact when it comes to illnesses in general.

He has also decided to not see my parents anymore so I guess I have to make the decision of whether I want to see him and hope he’s right it’s probably just the cold or not see him at all and visit my parents only. Sucks that we have a planned trip in a few days to head to the Oregon coast.

He's got like 1 sign of corona, if he's not febrile, he doesn't have it. They wouldn't even test him anyway. Those are cold virus or even allergy symptoms.

He's got like 1 sign of corona, if he's not febrile, he doesn't have it. They wouldn't even test him anyway. Those are cold virus or even allergy symptoms.

I know, that’s what I’m telling myself but deep down inside of me I’m also just feeling skeptical and playing those “what if” scenarios in my head regardless of how much I inform myself with the true facts we know so far.

I know, that’s what I’m telling myself but deep down inside of me I’m also just feeling skeptical and playing those “what if” scenarios in my head regardless of how much I inform myself with the true facts we know so far.
Tell him to buy a thermometer

Edit: saw you said not febrile! So that's good

• Haha
I'm becoming seriously fatigued over the whole COVID-19 situation. We had a staff meeting at work this week and I was basically told that I'm going to be reassigned from the food safety side to the epi side in order to help with contact tracking of PUIs/suspected cases, as well as take on a fair chunk of the phone calls from the general public. **** happens. I get it, and I also understand that I got hired on at a weird time. I probably wouldn't mind so much but I'm the only staff member out of the nine of us that this is happening to and it's pushing back my training, which is already behind schedule, even further. I only started this job last week and I don't feel remotely prepared to do my actual listed duties, let alone all of these new tasks being put on me.

And people are so nasty about it, too. I understand that they're scared and many of them simply don't understand how these things work, but it's supremely frustrating to have to brunt the angry phone calls of 50+ panicked people who are demanding tests but aren't even showing the correct symptoms/don't meet the criteria/aren't at substantial risk of complications. I'm hoping that the funds that come through as a result of the emergency declaration today helps a bit, but we are so damn short on test kits that the bar in order to get tested, at least at our office, is very high. It's aggravating and we wish we could test more, but that's just how it is here right now. Then I get even more calls from people who are irate that the state's official COVID-19 information hotline is down or swamped with extreme call volume, like that's our fault somehow. Among other things; I literally got a call from someone trying to "report" their neighbor with a mild cough because "he's foreign". Honestly, maybe 10% of the calls I've fielded have been about something of actual, legitimate concern. I try to help to the best of my ability (which isn't much; we're so underfunded and in want of more supplies and staff that we're largely toothless in much of this) but almost always get vitriol in return.

Then, when I get home or go out in public to do whatever, guess what current event everyone wants to talk about? On SDN it doesn't bother me so much because we're all pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, comparatively. IRL, though... damn, I wish people would understand that I just do not want to bring that baggage home with me after dealing with it all day at work. I ignore the topic when it's brought up but people seemingly aren’t picking up the hints. I don't want to talk to anyone, much less family who spout whatever silly nonsense they stumbled upon on Facebook that day.

This all sucks. I like public health as a subject, and I was excited to start this job, but now I feel like I'm just not at all cut out for the reality of it and that I'm letting it stress me out more than it probably reasonably should. I think back to my original educational and career trajectory and wish I'd stuck with that instead of going down the path I did; sitting at a desk alone translating text all day, knowing that no other lives are potentially on the line, sounds like a dream right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
I literally got a call from someone trying to "report" their neighbor with a mild cough because he's "he's foreign".
:uhno:
People are ****ing insane
I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this. Hang in there <3

Petty rant: Nothing is definite because its still a few months away, but starting to consider that my fiancé and I may need to postpone/cancel not only our honeymoon, but also the wedding. Not definite at all, but just sad to think about. The tailor just called my mom and said she might not get to alter her dress in time because she doesn't have enough staff lately and is super backed up. Also with the travel bans, a guest from England that my fiancé really wanted to be there likely won't be able to attend, and my last grandparent (who was already iffy because she has Alzheimer's) definitely couldn't be there now because the risk is too high. My other uncle and aunt are having health issues that make it likely they might not be well enough to attend. I know in the grand scheme of things, as long as everyone makes it through this with their health intact its not a big deal. We can always do the court house thing this year and maybe do a small vow renewal ceremony for our anniversary if we feel we missed out. But I'm still a little sad about the possibility. 2nd year was so stressful and now its almost more stressful switching to online...I was really looking forward to this Summer. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Feeling frustrated because my boyfriend was supposed to visit in May and I don't know whether things will be better enough by then that he still can or if we'll have to reschedule. If we have to reschedule it may be another 6 months before I can see him.

On the bright(?) side we can book a flight pretty cheap right now with no fees to change it over the next 12 months.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Disney world is literally firing all of the college program people....I legit have to be moved out by Wednesday and my soul hurts.

• Sad
Reactions: 17 users
Welp just super bummed in general. Boyfriend has a sore throat and we don’t want to take any chances so we just canceled our trip to the coast, canceled seeing a friend along the way, and we’re not going to a birthday party tonight either. Just found out an event I was super excited about (100k relay) and I was trying to organize a team for just got canceled. Now I’m in good ol’ quarantine so I can’t see my parents either. And flight tickets to a summer program I was still hoping to do just increased by $200 for some reason. Can this day just end already?

• Sad
CDC jus released new guidelines saying events with greater than 50 people should be cancelled at least through early May, are suggesting people who are at high risk restrict travel even domestically, and are recommending 14 day quarantines even following domestic travel. Looking like a June wedding and honeymoon isn't in the cards, but according to the contract if we cancel now we're on the hook to pay for 50% of the cost of the event unless the venue owners decide to be more flexible in light of the circumstances. I also am sympathetic towards them because this has to be killing their business...but I also don't want to pay for half of an even that I can't reasonably have without putting people I care about at risk. And my fiancé is in serious danger of being furloughed because he works for the airlines, so we can't realistically afford to pay for half the wedding if its not actually going to happen. Also don't really feel like focusing on school in light of everything, but have an exam Tuesday. :(

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I'm becoming seriously fatigued over the whole COVID-19 situation. We had a staff meeting at work this week and I was basically told that I'm going to be reassigned from the food safety side to the epi side in order to help with contact tracking of PUIs/suspected cases, as well as take on a fair chunk of the phone calls from the general public. **** happens. I get it, and I also understand that I got hired on at a weird time. I probably wouldn't mind so much but I'm the only staff member out of the nine of us that this is happening to and it's pushing back my training, which is already behind schedule, even further. I only started this job last week and I don't feel remotely prepared to do my actual listed duties, let alone all of these new tasks being put on me.

And people are so nasty about it, too. I understand that they're scared and many of them simply don't understand how these things work, but it's supremely frustrating to have to brunt the angry phone calls of 50+ panicked people who are demanding tests but aren't even showing the correct symptoms/don't meet the criteria/aren't at substantial risk of complications. I'm hoping that the funds that come through as a result of the emergency declaration today helps a bit, but we are so damn short on test kits that the bar in order to get tested, at least at our office, is very high. It's aggravating and we wish we could test more, but that's just how it is here right now. Then I get even more calls from people who are irate that the state's official COVID-19 information hotline is down or swamped with extreme call volume, like that's our fault somehow. Among other things; I literally got a call from someone trying to "report" their neighbor with a mild cough because "he's foreign". Honestly, maybe 10% of the calls I've fielded have been about something of actual, legitimate concern. I try to help to the best of my ability (which isn't much; we're so underfunded and in want of more supplies and staff that we're largely toothless in much of this) but almost always get vitriol in return.

Then, when I get home or go out in public to do whatever, guess what current event everyone wants to talk about? On SDN it doesn't bother me so much because we're all pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, comparatively. IRL, though... damn, I wish people would understand that I just do not want to bring that baggage home with me after dealing with it all day at work. I ignore the topic when it's brought up but people seemingly aren’t picking up the hints. I don't want to talk to anyone, much less family who spout whatever silly nonsense they stumbled upon on Facebook that day.

This all sucks. I like public health as a subject, and I was excited to start this job, but now I feel like I'm just not at all cut out for the reality of it and that I'm letting it stress me out more than it probably reasonably should. I think back to my original educational and career trajectory and wish I'd stuck with that instead of going down the path I did; sitting at a desk alone translating text all day, knowing that no other lives are potentially on the line, sounds like a dream right now.
Can’t even leave work at work anymore; I’m here doing what is essentially free overtime at home. And to think that we haven’t even had a single confirmed case in the county yet... I shudder to think how much more work will take over my life once that happens (as it will, inevitably).

I do feel tremendously guilty for complaining when at least I have a job right now and so many others’ lives are being disturbed far more profoundly as a result of this.

EDIT: 3 hours after posting this, we’ve got our first presumptive positive case. Yayyy...

• Sad
@Elkhart please don’t feel guilty. This sucks. It all sucks. This is a time when no one in the country should feel guilty about being upset about whatever it is that’s making their life less than optimal. Some people lost jobs. Some people are doing distance learning in a way that’s pretending like nothing else is going on around them. People’s clinics are being cancelled. Businesses are being shut down. For you, you’re taking on more stress than you’d like and it’s not fair to you. Yea some people’s situations might be worse than others’, but we’re all suffering here. We all know what it’s like to be impacted so negatively by what’s going on. So let’s all settle in for the long haul and know that regardless of anyone else’s situation, we’re all just having a pretty bad time :(

Today I’m anticipating getting a poor individual grade on a group project. One of my two group members, a girl whom I have never interacted with previously, completed her evaluation of me over a week before the project was due and before I had time to really contribute anything. I ended up spending hours on the project over break designing graphics and editing, which she and the other member seemed to like. The grading is not anonymous so I know exactly what was submitted and said. Despite that knowledge, I chose to give her all the points for her evaluation. In the future, I will not work with her again nor will I encourage others to work with her.

Group projects, man.

• Sad
@Elkhart please don’t feel guilty. This sucks. It all sucks. This is a time when no one in the country should feel guilty about being upset about whatever it is that’s making their life less than optimal. Some people lost jobs. Some people are doing distance learning in a way that’s pretending like nothing else is going on around them. People’s clinics are being cancelled. Businesses are being shut down. For you, you’re taking on more stress than you’d like and it’s not fair to you. Yea some people’s situations might be worse than others’, but we’re all suffering here. We all know what it’s like to be impacted so negatively by what’s going on. So let’s all settle in for the long haul and know that regardless of anyone else’s situation, we’re all just having a pretty bad time :(
Oh, absolutely. I just feel like my feelings and reaction are way overblown considering that what I’m dealing with pales in comparison. Like, I shouldn’t feel so stressed that I wake up in a panic at 2:30 AM and am unable to fall back asleep when I’ve still got work, am not in school anymore, and don’t have kids to have to worry about. I know I’m doing what I can, but it just doesn’t feel like enough, you know? It’s got me seriously wondering if I’ve got the emotional wherewithal for this. Everyone says I’m doing a great job and they appreciate my flexibility—even our public health director who is apparently typically very stingy with positive comments—but I can’t help but feel like it’s still not good enough, and that they’re just trying to make me feel better and that I’ll be exposed soon. Oh, boy. It’s like vet school impostor syndrome all over again, although hopefully it doesn’t end up as badly that did.

I’m also worried that I won’t be able to get one of my medications. I’m supposed to have labs run every couple of months prior to getting a refill, but there’s a ton of conflicting information between the website, Facebook page, and scheduling app as to the clinic’s current hours of operation. The only day I was able to actually self-schedule is tomorrow at 6 PM since that’s supposedly their extended hours day; I can’t make it any other time during the week as they’re 8-5 or 11-5 all other days, no weekend hours... and that’s without an active pandemic going on. It wouldn’t be so bad and ordinarily I’d just find a way to go over lunch, but it’s for LGBTQ-related care, which is uncommon in my area, and I already have to drive over an hour each way to get there and back. I’m going to try to call this morning and see if I can get some clarification on the hours and make sure I’m okay to go in tonight. If that doesn’t work, then I might just call the doctor directly and ask if she’d be willing to call me in another prescription given the circumstances. It’s not considered “medically necessary”, per say, but it’s made a huge difference in terms of my mental state—for the better—so I’m really hoping we can work something out. I’m already starting to feel the effects of being behind on it and I’d be so, so bummed if I have to go without for much longer.

not really a rant but like

I told this person on a dating app that I'm going to vet school in the fall, and they responded with "oh cool, so you want to be a vet?" and i was like "nah, I just want the student debt"

SO YOU WANT TO BE A VET???????????????????

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users

I told this person on a dating app that I'm going to vet school in the fall, and they responded with "oh cool, so you want to be a vet?" and i was like "nah, I just want the student debt"

I can relate to this. Ugh.

An extended family member who never made any effort to get to know me or my brother contacted my dad the other day and was like, "She wants to be a vet? It's great that she finally decided to go back to school!!"

Like, excuse me?? I'm working on my second degree and have been at university for SEVEN YEARS. :bang:

There was one random person I told I was in vet school and I guess they thought I said "vend school"? And they were like, "...to work on vending machines or something?" :rofl: Yes, that's exactly the career path I am taking and there's a specific educational program for it too.

• Haha
There was one random person I told I was in vet school and I guess they thought I said "vend school"? And they were like, "...to work on vending machines or something?" :rofl: Yes, that's exactly the career path I am taking and there's a specific educational program for it too.
Ok but......what’s the debt like.......

• Haha
Anxiety is stupid. I accidentally poked myself with a clean needle today and I know perfectly well there's no reason to be concerned about it. And yet my brain keeps inventing horrible scenarios by which I get horrible disease and die. What gives, brain? Why are you doing this?

Anxiety is stupid. I accidentally poked myself with a clean needle today and I know perfectly well there's no reason to be concerned about it. And yet my brain keeps inventing horrible scenarios by which I get horrible disease and die. What gives, brain? Why are you doing this?
Is it too soon for a Coronavirus joke?

I feel like it’s too soon for a Coronavirus joke...

My fiancee got laid off due to covid today.

I was pretty sure his position would be not-layoffable.

I have no idea if we can financially make this work.
No real words for it, but just want to say I completely sympathize. My fiance is likely going to be in a similar situation soon and things are really scary right now. If you ever want to vent or talk, my PM box is open. Sorry I cant offer more than that. :(

• Sad