RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean...

- Continue to provide emergency care for pets and consider telemedicine for management of ongoing conditions, since during a sustained period of social isolation, the human-animal bond may provide much needed emotional support and structure to the lives of millions of people. There was an uplifting article in the NYT the other day about how animal fostering has surged in recent weeks as people seek out companionship at home.

- Offer emotional support to the human medical community, who are on the precipice of making brutal decisions they have likely not had to make in human health care. As doctors who deal with decisions surrounding life and death on a daily basis and who are trained to consider population health, veterinarians may be the best people to understand the compassion fatigue that is already sweeping across Italy and Spain as doctors are forced to decide which patients to save. So reach out to your human med friends and lend an empathetic ear to their fears and sadness.

- Emphasize the need to follow the guidance of the CDC and WHO, and help family and friends by interpreting the medical basis behind many of these measures and reiterating why it is important.

- Use veterinary medical knowledge to effectively triage our own patients and conserve PPE and equipment where we can, in as safe a manner as possible.

- Those of us with a background in public health, epidemiology, research, and lab animal medicine should be prepared to step up in the event that this pandemic continues to ravage the globe at the same rate, thereby decreasing the availability of people who are currently working in those roles. Not to be a fearmonger, but just because COVID-19 exists doesn't mean other diseases agreed to stop infecting people and animals for the time being. So if labs & public health workers are diverted to working on this at a national level, maybe there is something we could do to fill the positions/projects they are leaving behind.

- In a true state of emergency, veterinarians of all subfields are valuable assets because we have at least a basic level of training in incident command, public health, and infection control. We understand what PPE is important, how to maintain sterile fields, how to clean and sterilize equipment, and how to act as leaders of a team. There is discussion amongst our class to offer to help local hospitals/temporary quarantine areas by cleaning/restocking/setting up infectious disease wards if this continues to a point where our human medical colleagues (including nurses, hospital aides, cleaning staff) reach a point of exhaustion and need a break. We obviously can't be the doctors, but we do have medical training and are more knowledgeable, efficient, and safe in medical settings than an average person would likely be.

So, just some ideas. This doesn't even touch on the role of large animal vets at a time like this, when food safety is a paramount concern. And even small animal vets know some things about other species/fields -- I've heard enough of you talk about what you remember from the NAVLE to know that you could dust off that knowledge and beef it up if you truly needed to ;)

Overall, I do think we have a lot of value to provide.

that’s all nice and lofty, but let’s be real... we are very much NOT real doctors at all in these contexts and whatever we deal with life/death wise does not compare at all to what the medical community is dealing with right now. My best friends are MDs in the trenches and they do not need me to give them a pep talk about how to deal with life/death decisions.

those in lab animal/research are even less helpful and the most help they can provide is honestly to stop what they’re doing and just divert resources to the human medical field. I can tell you that is exactly my PhD husband is being ordered to do at the medical school he works at. The only people actually helpful are those who are actually doing active research on the subject matter. It’s not like rando scientists can just switch gears and help.

yes large animal and USDA/CDC and possibly army vets may be more important than ever right now (though really mostly just to keep doing their regular jobs), but this idea of your everyday veterinarian swooping in to save the day is not as vet schools make it out to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I also question at what point we are going to have to stop the whole no "non-emergency" appointments. I mean, yes, for the next few weeks that is probably ok, but we can't indefinitely stop spaying and neutering animals (increases certain health risks to keep them intact after a certain age). Can't be leaving ear infections hanging about forever. Eye issues can't wait forever. So on and so forth. There are many things that aren't emergencies but they can't wait. I'd argue with puppy/kitten season coming we can't just not vaccinate these young animals.

At some point, our field is going to have to recognize that we still have to take care of the animals too. This is definitely not a straightforward answer. Yes, PPE definitely needs to be conserved for human medicine right now. But the last predictions I have read from actual epidemiologists and experts in pandemics are saying we are looking at 18 months of this at minimum and we can't stop basic animal care for that extended length of time.

I've also heard of canceling of things like TPLOs, etc and while, yes, that is "elective" waiting for 18 months to do a TPLO is going to make a TPLO rather useless by then.

I do agree with you that animals do need to be taken care of at some point. Yes those are obviously all services I absolutely believe in and preach everyday, but those are for days where the world we live in can afford to provide the best for our pet population. Until the exponential curve stops and things start to die down and we are no longer at risk of millions of people dying, all of those things are still frivolous IMO. We don’t know where we are going to land currently as far as worst case scenario is, and I think there’s enough evidence out there that allowing the economy to essentially collapse by forcing people to stay home is currently justified for the projected toll on human life. As long as the situation continues to be as serious as it is, I don’t care if that dog never gets a TPLO. As horrible as it sounds, the worst thing that will happen to an animal if they cannot get adequate care is that they will end up euthanized (and yes, I do think euthanasia is the one absolutely essential service that we need to continue to be able to provide). I don’t think we’re at the point where we can’t provide care for sick animals, but I do think everything else we can provide for our patients are on a continuum of what we should perceive to be essential, and I think we need to be ready to move the cutoff point along that continuum based on the level of human suffering we are encountering. And plus, outside of increasing exposure, many of the things we do currently to care for sick pets don’t necessarily use up essential supplies and we currently have plenty to get by. If we really get to the point where the human hospitals are out of resources and the death toll reaches a scary point, I think I’m going to have to be ok not being able to provide Lifesaving care for even my own pets... and I’m someone who spends 10k+ trying to do anything and everything to try and save them. Hopefully we never get there. Once things calm down and we know that using resources for an animal won’t be endangering human life, by all means we need as much business as we can get to keep the profession going. I am especially worried about the support staff, as they will be SOL when vet clinics close their doors. Many hospitals will not survive and their doors may be closed for good. Hell, I can’t afford to be unemployed forever. And that is why I still show up at work so that we can try to protect especially our vulnerable staff that I feel responsible for. But at the same time, I feel wrong doing it. This is a really hard one. I feel super conflicted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not saying to tell them anything. I'm saying to listen to them and be supportive.
Right, and what I’m saying is that I don’t think it takes a veterinarian to be a supportive friend... I have no idea what they are going through any more than the next civilian. I live the emotional roller coaster daily with our pet population and their families, but I still cannot come close to imagining what they are going through.

Reactions: 1 user
Well shoot, I guess the world is going to hell in a handbasket and even if I could do my clinical year the normal way instead of via conference call, I have no value to add to society.

Hollywood gangsters +/- the walking dead told me I have transferrable skills, though.

Not sure who to believe... :thinking:

• Haha
Well shoot, I guess the world is going to hell in a handbasket and even if I could do my clinical year the normal way instead of via conference call, I have no value to add to society.

Hollywood gangsters +/- the walking dead told me I have transferrable skills, though.

Not sure who to believe... :thinking:

im not saying veterinarians have no value in society. I think I add tremendous value to society overall in that I think our furry critters and the human animal bond adds tremendous value to society. I’m just not very helpful during this particular crisis and I worry that I’m worsening it by continuing to do my job. As of right now, my most useful transferable skill is being able to understand what is going on and encouraging others to take this seriously and abide by social distancing.

we’re at the point where children/babies with painful ears are not getting tubes for example, and many people with health conditions are not getting medical/surgical treatments that they should be getting. I’m very conflicted in continuing to provide nonessential care (like **** we’re still providing wellness visits for pets who don’t even need rabies vaccines and aren’t puppies who need parvo vaccines). Like I just used up face shields/masks for a dental. And honestly that was mostly to keep the practice afloat. Which for the sake of staff is very important, but when every other small business is closed out of necessity... doing this in the guise of calling what I do an essential service is rather questionable

I do agree with you that animals do need to be taken care of at some point. Yes those are obviously all services I absolutely believe in and preach everyday, but those are for days where the world we live in can afford to provide the best for our pet population. Until the exponential curve stops and things start to die down and we are no longer at risk of millions of people dying, all of those things are still frivolous IMO. We don’t know where we are going to land currently as far as worst case scenario is, and I think there’s enough evidence out there that allowing the economy to essentially collapse by forcing people to stay home is currently justified for the projected toll on human life. As long as the situation continues to be as serious as it is, I don’t care if that dog never gets a TPLO. As horrible as it sounds, the worst thing that will happen to an animal if they cannot get adequate care is that they will end up euthanized (and yes, I do think euthanasia is the one absolutely essential service that we need to continue to be able to provide). I don’t think we’re at the point where we can’t provide care for sick animals, but I do think everything else we can provide for our patients are on a continuum of what we should perceive to be essential, and I think we need to be ready to move the cutoff point along that continuum based on the level of human suffering we are encountering. And plus, outside of increasing exposure, many of the things we do currently to care for sick pets don’t necessarily use up essential supplies and we currently have plenty to get by. If we really get to the point where the human hospitals are out of resources and the death toll reaches a scary point, I think I’m going to have to be ok not being able to provide Lifesaving care for even my own pets... and I’m someone who spends 10k+ trying to do anything and everything to try and save them. Hopefully we never get there. Once things calm down and we know that using resources for an animal won’t be endangering human life, by all means we need as much business as we can get to keep the profession going. I am especially worried about the support staff, as they will be SOL when vet clinics close their doors. Many hospitals will not survive and their doors may be closed for good. Hell, I can’t afford to be unemployed forever. And that is why I still show up at work so that we can try to protect especially our vulnerable staff that I feel responsible for. But at the same time, I feel wrong doing it. This is a really hard one. I feel super conflicted.

I'm 100000000% not ok with forgoing emergency care for my cat if she needs it. She's the only thing I have at home currently. I don't care wtf is going on in the world, if there's a potential to save her life she deserves her life to be saved.

Reactions: 13 users
I got a stuffy nose and itchy eyes. I can’t stop sneezing, which is turning a lot of heads. Lol ‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I'm 100000000% not ok with forgoing emergency care for my cat if she needs it. She's the only thing I have at home currently. I don't care wtf is going on in the world, if there's a potential to save her life she deserves her life to be saved.

I’m just saying at some point we may not have a choice, and I would understand the reasoning. My best friend works in the ICU of one of the best hospitals in the country, and they are starting to running out of PPE. As essentially all the doctors have had exposure, they are not being quarantined anymore. They are to work until they are showing clinical signs before they get pulled. Hopefully things will not get as bad as they are in Italy here, but there’s the potential for it to get there. As it stands right now, if my husband’s father gets sick, he will likely not be given a ventilator and may die in the hospital with zero family being allowed to be there, he will have no funeral and no one would be allowed to see him get buried. If this is where we get with people, or god forbid we truly move towards millions in death tolls, I worry that a majority of vet hospitals will get shut down. Even if not forcibly, if only truly allowed to do urgent care work, a good number of hospitals may not survive. Many states are already mandating non-essential procedures be postponed and we are just at the tip of the iceberg.

Actually @PippyPony I stand corrected. This may be our opportunity to shine and save all the people with our veterinary training... Apparently some counties are already including veterinarians in the list of people they’re calling to volunteer to help along with retired medical professionals and dentists. It actually scares the **** out of me that we are already at this point.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Actually @PippyPony I stand corrected. This may be our opportunity to shine and save all the people with our veterinary training... Apparently some counties are already including veterinarians in the list of people they’re calling to volunteer to help along with retired medical professionals and dentists. It actually scares the **** out of me that we are already at this point.
I saw an article recently mentioning that veterinarians are useful if they need to start bringing in other healthcare professionals to help run ventilators on sick patients, as they picked up how to do it correctly the fastest of the ones they tested (I believe this was compared to dentists, PTs/OTs, and I think one other I can't recall)

Scary times

Reactions: 2 users
On the one hand, that's super scary they're calling vets for that kind of thing. On the other hand, as an almost vet who is stuck at home doing nothing I'd be very okay with getting called for something like that. I've been home for a total of two days and while I love being home, I also wish I could do something to contribute.

I signed up today as a volunteer for a local seniors outreach to deliver groceries and pet food to self isolating seniors so I can feel I'm helping by doing at least something.

Figured I'd put that out there in case anyone else wants to feel like they're making a difference. I wouldn't have thought about seniors aid unless a friend shared it!

I’m just saying at some point we may not have a choice, and I would understand the reasoning. My best friend works in the ICU of one of the best hospitals in the country, and they are starting to running out of PPE. As essentially all the doctors have had exposure, they are not being quarantined anymore. They are to work until they are showing clinical signs before they get pulled. Hopefully things will not get as bad as they are in Italy here, but there’s the potential for it to get there. As it stands right now, if my husband’s father gets sick, he will likely not be given a ventilator and may die in the hospital with zero family being allowed to be there, he will have no funeral and no one would be allowed to see him get buried. If this is where we get with people, or god forbid we truly move towards millions in death tolls, I worry that a majority of vet hospitals will get shut down. Even if not forcibly, if only truly allowed to do urgent care work, a good number of hospitals may not survive. Many states are already mandating non-essential procedures be postponed and we are just at the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, I say let the people that didn't listen to quarantine orders die. Stupid should kill. Treat the health care workers. Don't let innocent people and animals die, let the guilty die for being guilty. If you're not going to listen, you forfeit your right to care. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I say let the people that didn't listen to quarantine orders die. Stupid should kill. Treat the health care workers. Don't let innocent people and animals die, let the guilty die for being guilty. If you're not going to listen, you forfeit your right to care. Period.
Problem is they just infect those vulnerable. The stupid live on.

Reactions: 4 users
On the one hand, that's super scary they're calling vets for that kind of thing. On the other hand, as an almost vet who is stuck at home doing nothing I'd be very okay with getting called for something like that. I've been home for a total of two days and while I love being home, I also wish I could do something to contribute.

I signed up today as a volunteer for a local seniors outreach to deliver groceries and pet food to self isolating seniors so I can feel I'm helping by doing at least something.

Figured I'd put that out there in case anyone else wants to feel like they're making a difference. I wouldn't have thought about seniors aid unless a friend shared it!
I posted this in the covid thread as well, but anyone looking for volunteer opportunities should look into their state's Medical Reserve Corps.

We just had our first case in this region. Calls for help so far include call center staffing and epi trace backs. Have also heard a rumor that they will ask for screening site help if they set up pop up testing sites.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

That’s awesome. There are so many able bodied college kids around I wish more would partake in things like that instead of going out for st paddy’s day. Or if they want to go around exposing themselves at least do something useful like driving around to hardware stores and target/Walmart to find respirators to take to the hospital

I posted this in the covid thread as well, but anyone looking for volunteer opportunities should look into their state's Medical Reserve Corps.

We just had our first case in this region. Calls for help so far include call center staffing and epi trace backs. Have also heard a rumor that they will ask for screening site help if they set up pop up testing sites.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile
I've been a part of the MRC the past couple of years, and I am excited to see that someone else Is advocating for them. Been working on recruiting local med students for our chapter's COVID response initiatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Petty Rant: I know they're probably super busy trying to figure things out for the next few months, and I'm trying to not be a jerk about it. But I've had zero communication from my wedding venue regarding whether or not they'll let us out of the contract if we cancel. I don't even care if they want to keep the deposit, but I don't want to be stuck paying half the cost of the event. We currently have a statewide ban on all gatherings (weddings, funerals, parties), and all nonessential businesses are closed. Even if the outright ban is relaxed by our wedding date...the tailor is closed so my dress probably wouldn't be ready in time, the florist probably won't have time to make my bouquets or anything, and with my fiancé's parents closing their business/not having income, my fiancé potentially being laid off soon, the future of the company my dad works for being somewhat uncertain, and the stock market tanking...I really don't even know how we could justify spending the money on a wedding anyways. Aside from the fact that I seriously doubt things will be "normal" by June and even if gatherings aren't "banned" anymore, I just don't want to put anyone I care about at increased risk so soon. I really think cancelling is the right call, but I'd just appreciate even a small amount of communication from the venue even if its just to say they got my e-mail and they're looking at their policies.

Edit to add because I don't want to make a new post: My fiancé is in full on PANIC mode over this. He...I kid you not...shaved his head because "he doesn't know when he'll be able to get a haircut again", and has been texting me all morning that we should just find a courthouse and get married ASAP, except the court houses are all closed and we can't get a marriage license. And all tailors are shut down indefinitely so my dress is just trapped there for the time being. And I'm still waiting to see if the venue will even let us cancel without paying them a ton of money. And my mom has been texting me stories of all the venues that are refusing to let people out of contracts/cancel. NEITHER OF THEM ARE HELPING! And I have a quiz due tonight, an exam tomorrow, and another exam Thursday I haven't started studying for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also question at what point we are going to have to stop the whole no "non-emergency" appointments. I mean, yes, for the next few weeks that is probably ok, but we can't indefinitely stop spaying and neutering animals (increases certain health risks to keep them intact after a certain age). Can't be leaving ear infections hanging about forever. Eye issues can't wait forever. So on and so forth. There are many things that aren't emergencies but they can't wait. I'd argue with puppy/kitten season coming we can't just not vaccinate these young animals.

At some point, our field is going to have to recognize that we still have to take care of the animals too. This is definitely not a straightforward answer. Yes, PPE definitely needs to be conserved for human medicine right now. But the last predictions I have read from actual epidemiologists and experts in pandemics are saying we are looking at 18 months of this at minimum and we can't stop basic animal care for that extended length of time.

I've also heard of canceling of things like TPLOs, etc and while, yes, that is "elective" waiting for 18 months to do a TPLO is going to make a TPLO rather useless by then.
Yeah, I've thought about this. My dog has needed a dental for a few months... He was bumped from the elective in December since they got too filled and was planning on getting it in May. Now obviously that can't happen. His teeth aren't SO bad that they are rotting out of his face or anything, but he absolutely cannot wait 18 months to get his teeth cleaned. So, I'm worried about him. I just hope he can get them done in the next 6 months honestly.
I saw an article recently mentioning that veterinarians are useful if they need to start bringing in other healthcare professionals to help run ventilators on sick patients, as they picked up how to do it correctly the fastest of the ones they tested (I believe this was compared to dentists, PTs/OTs, and I think one other I can't recall)

Scary times
It also had physicians and nurses on the list. Veterinarians being better than all of the human medical professionals.

Yeah, I've thought about this. My dog has needed a dental for a few months... He was bumped from the elective in December since they got too filled and was planning on getting it in May. Now obviously that can't happen. His teeth aren't SO bad that they are rotting out of his face or anything, but he absolutely cannot wait 18 months to get his teeth cleaned. So, I'm worried about him. I just hope he can get them done in the next 6 months honestly.

It also had physicians and nurses on the list. Veterinarians being better than all of the human medical professionals.
Wasn't it retired physicians?

Scary times

Do you think you can find that article? I’d love to read it?

My dog vomited up a piece of a rubber band this morning and now I've just been obsessively worrying over it. Not exactly what I wanted on my mind the day before an exam :(

• Sad
Rant: I put in my 60 day notice earlier this month, right before the COVID stuff starting hitting the fan. And now I'm terrified. I'm worried that if layoffs start happening, I'll be the first to go, and I don't have enough savings to get me through until new job starts. Too many expensive house repairs in the last 18 months. Half the point of the job change was to have higher earning capability to start paying off debt. I'm worried about going from a salary to a prosal job. My monthly base pay shouldn't be too much different, but my expenses are also going up a little with the job change. And I'm really really scared that the new job will somehow fall through. If I had known how uncertain things were going to be, I never would have done this.

• Sad
My dog vomited up a piece of a rubber band this morning and now I've just been obsessively worrying over it. Not exactly what I wanted on my mind the day before an exam :(
Better out than in! There really isn't anything you can do about it at this point, and you'll know pretty quickly if it's going to cause issues. Good luck with your exam!

Joined a facebook page for people rescheduling/cancelling weddings so I can get an idea of how different venues are handling refunds/contracts etc. Everyone is either eloping and posting pictures of them wearing PPE/respirators as a joke or using PPE/respirators in their "change the date" announcements...it seems so selfish and irresponsible to wear any sort of PPE as a joke right now. Hospitals are running so short...veterinary hospitals, dentists, etc. are going without to try and help human hospitals and it makes me queasy to see people who 100% don't need using it as joke and making light of the situation. I'm just so frustrated with people!

Reactions: 11 users
Joined a facebook page for people rescheduling/cancelling weddings so I can get an idea of how different venues are handling refunds/contracts etc. Everyone is either eloping and posting pictures of them wearing PPE/respirators as a joke or using PPE/respirators in their "change the date" announcements...it seems so selfish and irresponsible to wear any sort of PPE as a joke right now. Hospitals are running so short...veterinary hospitals, dentists, etc. are going without to try and help human hospitals and it makes me queasy to see people who 100% don't need using it as joke and making light of the situation. I'm just so frustrated with people!
Yeah, I could see if it were photoshopped in or even left over from a breaking bad costume or something, but to go out and buy it for some dumb announcements...

Yeah, I could see if it were photoshopped in or even left over from a breaking bad costume or something, but to go out and buy it for some dumb announcements...
I think they even made a new snapchat filter (don't have snapchat...so can't confirm) with a mask they could have used. So many alternatives to using actual PPE that people need. I'm also suspicious that the people making light of it like that are the same ones who aren't social distancing appropriately and are dragging this out for everyone else.

I have a patient going downhill and I’m just taking it very hard right now. It sucks when this happens when this is literally all you have spent your time on this weekend and a positive outcome totally could have been possible. Idk.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Floppier cat has develop a sudden aversion to the kibble she's eaten her whole life to the point that she won't eat it at all. Fortunately she's the less picky of the 2 and I've found something else that she'll eat, but she won't touch anything that I mix the old food into, so we're in for a rough transition.

She's eating anything else I put in front of her, but not her old kibble, regardless of whether it's from a fresh bag or the current one. Not sure what the deal is.

As if the pandemic ravaging through the country wasn’t terrifying enough, I’m terrified for masses who are getting laid off and losing their health insurance who are paycheck to paycheck to begin with, and secondarily I’m terrified of the impending recession.

I don’t want to be a Debbie downer, but for those who have a choice right now, I would seriously rethink enrolling in a super expensive vet school especially the new schools with zero to negative reputation. The last recession was horrible for vets, especially new grads. Look back at the posts in 2009-2014 ish. It was terrible. Once clients have 0 money to spend on their pets, I think the perceived vet shortage will go away real fast as all the clinics who have been dying for associates will no longer be needing them. I’m already seeing clients electing euthanasia or just symptomatic care without diagnostics for their sick pet that may or may not be treatable because “I just got laid off today.” This time around, the number of graduating vets per year is going to be much higher. I remember one job interview when I was told straight up, “the last time I needed to hire an associate 6 years ago, I would have absolutely hired you. But this time around, I have 20 applicants with experience so I will not be offering a spot to a new grad. I’m really sorry.” When it’s that competitive, I’m pretty sure that there will be serious discrimination for those coming out of these new programs. I think it would be naive to think otherwise, no matter how much the school tells you that they are just as good as any other school because of accreditation.

Could not echo this enough. I am already seeing the effects in terms a shift from how many clients let me do work-ups to "well, neither me nor my husband have a job right now"....

I mean, it's not a huge shift yet, but it's noticeable, and going to get worse. And the economy IS going suffer for this. And industries like ours will take it on the nose.

I wouldn't want to be a new vet coming out with lots of debt (esp from a school without any reputation).

No, it's not fair. But it's reality.

Reactions: 9 users
Tfw your professor adjusts their initial grading scheme so that you're 0.33% away from the grade you deserve.

• Angry
And now I just looked at the test and saw I accidentally clicked the wrong answer for a question when I meant to click the right one. so that right there changed my grade. I'm so upset about this and I know it's petty and stupid but I'm just really sad :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
I am doing a 19 hour drive tomorrow.

Went to go give my cats their loading dose of gabapentin and discovered that I don't actually have gabapentin.

Tomorrow just got a lot louder.

• Sad
Reactions: 12 users
The restaurant next to our clinic has been closed for COVID19, but last night was open for takeout. My last 2 curbside appointments of the day were hard to communicate with because they went over to the restaurant for takeout with about 2 dozen other people who all pulled into the parking lot around the same time. I feel like people just aren't getting the message about what social distancing means. It's not "stand in a restaurant lobby with 20 strangers waiting for your order to be ready".

Also, there's this new phenomenon called COVID puppies: with so many people staying at home, they're suddenly all thinking "gee, I have time for a puppy now" and our new puppy appointment requests have really shot up.

• Wow
  • Okay...
Reactions: 12 users
The restaurant next to our clinic has been closed for COVID19, but last night was open for takeout. My last 2 curbside appointments of the day were hard to communicate with because they went over to the restaurant for takeout with about 2 dozen other people who all pulled into the parking lot around the same time. I feel like people just aren't getting the message about what social distancing means. It's not "stand in a restaurant lobby with 20 strangers waiting for your order to be ready".

Also, there's this new phenomenon called COVID puppies: with so many people staying at home, they're suddenly all thinking "gee, I have time for a puppy now" and our new puppy appointment requests have really shot up.
So many people now walking their dogs. Which is great for the dogs but ugh, why does it take a pandemic to get people to exercise their dog?!

I definitely volunteered to foster a puppy (they already had fosters though)

This is an issue here, too, and we have definitely had to call up restaurant managers and/or owners to say “Yo, ‘curbside’ means ‘curbside’. It defeats the point entirely if you’re allowing the general public to come line up in and crowd your lobby to wait for/pick up their food.” It’s not even just small, family-owned places, either. We’ve received multiple complaints about both a Subway and a Jimmy Johns doing this.

The verbiage in the order is pretty darn clear about this. I’d think it’d be common sense, but I guess not?

Reactions: 10 users

I would like to go on record and say that I am only sorta guilty of this. I will be bringing a new puppy home April 18 so will be one of these people needing a puppy appointment, BUT I put a deposit on him back in the middle of February when he was just a week old and the world hadn’t lost it’s mind yet. So it’s not like I am getting one just because of all this.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Also, probably, guilty as I'll be contacting a breeder soon to hopefully be put on their waiting list... But it helps that we decided we wanted a puppy within the next year like 4 months ago, right? :laugh:

I'm not talking about people who have planned puppies with breeders with waiting lists. I'm talking about craigslist puppies and the mills that always have puppies available. I've been seeing more of those than I usually do lately!

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I definitely volunteered to foster a puppy (they already had fosters though)
Fostering is different than impulse buying a puppy that you probably won’t be able to afford here shortly and won’t have time for if/when the works gets back to semi-normal.

• Love

On the one hand, I love seeing all the people fostering/adopting puppies now. And I think the human-animal bond is hugely beneficial for people who may have increased anxiety from prolonged social-distancing. On the other, I seriously worry about what's going to happen when the world returns to normal and people no longer have all this extra time or when they realize that the economy/job security aren't looking so hot and pets are expensive. Also, almost all the hospitals near me are operating emergency only, and I kind of worry about these puppies not getting shots/puppy visits because it would require people go so far out of their way to get a vaccine appointment (and I truly don't think everyone who's getting puppies understands the value of preventative care) and winding up with things like parvo that people will be even less able to afford treatment for. :(

On the one hand, I love seeing all the people fostering/adopting puppies now. And I think the human-animal bond is hugely beneficial for people who may have increased anxiety from prolonged social-distancing. On the other, I seriously worry about what's going to happen when the world returns to normal and people no longer have all this extra time or when they realize that the economy/job security aren't looking so hot and pets are expensive. Also, almost all the hospitals near me are operating emergency only, and I kind of worry about these puppies not getting shots/puppy visits because it would require people go so far out of their way to get a vaccine appointment (and I truly don't think everyone who's getting puppies understands the value of preventative care) and winding up with things like parvo that people will be even less able to afford treatment for. :(

Most of the posts I see on social media where vets are discussing what their clinics are doing/what cases they’re still seeing are still accepting puppies and kittens for core vaccines. Like even if officially saying they’re not doing wellness visits, they’re still doing puppyhood vaccines. Adult Fluffy who has been 4x before is not a huge risk and likely wouldn’t get an appointment, but the kitten or puppy will. Of course your area could be different.

I totally fell in love with a 70 pound pile of fluff and loves I neutered when I was in shelter med last week, and my classmates told me I should adopt him because I was gonna be stuck at home anyway :laugh:

not gonna lie, if I didn’t live in such a small place and it would be hard to keep him separate from the cats while they got use to him, I totally would have :laugh: at least he wasn’t a puppy, right? :p

• Haha