Reading to prepare for surgery internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed8888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty confident about matching into surgery this round and would like to start reading things that will help me hit the ground running intern year....after the needed 1-2 months tune out period where the last thing I am going to do is think about medicine.

Questions for those who went before me:

1) Which BOOK would you say is best and most in-depth/useful for the surgical intern?
2) Which ICU book or source did you use for SICU or TICU etc. rotations?
3) Best book for medication use in specific situations and dosing (possibly redundant if one of the above sources has that)?
4) Anything else you suggest I read or something you wish you would have known prior to starting.

Thanks a lot in advance..

GD

Members don't see this ad.

Best book is probably sabiston and start with the chapters about critical care, fluids and electrolytes, surgical nutrition, surgical complications and post op stuff. Save the peds surg and thoracic stuff for later. I'm not a proponent of any of the review books that just isn't a style of learning that works for me so can't really recommend any of those. I wouldn't worry about reading a pharm book you will just be looking up dosages and things as you go it isn't really a good use of your time. Refresh your ekg skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Sabiston is what SCORE is based on now so that's probably the best go to advice (although many people prefer writing style of greenfield). Can always review rapid recall and/or fiser absite book for me of a fact specific thing.

For ICU it's the blue ICU book.

Meds don't worry about, you'll learn as you go. Many will probably be pre-done in order sets or pop up automatically in EMR when selected. Some will be institution/formulary specific.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Any suggestions for a good book for a surgery intern but with questions? I learn best by doing lots of questions. If anyone else learns best this way I would love to know how you studied as a surgery resident. Thanks!
Sabiston has a question book.

SCORE is MCQs; good or bad it's what many curriculums are based on.

SESAP it's generally too expensive for residents to purchase but if your program gets it or you share it with someone it's more reasonable.

Of the ones I've seen, I think Rush University Review of Surgery is one of the better question books I've seen. Covers quite a bit, and the explanations are fairly detailed.

SCORE will give you a good idea of what you're supposed to know...but they're difficult to "study" from since I've found the explanations to be pretty unhelpful. They'll give a cursory explanation then refer you to another textbook.

Like WS said, if you can get SESAP reimbursed (or get a copy from someone else), that's probably the gold standard. It's kind of overkill for intern year, though.

I think starting to read now is a little too gung ho.
Between Sabiston and Greenfield
TrueLearn is the best question bank available

Any suggestions for a good book for a surgery intern but with questions? I learn best by doing lots of questions. If anyone else learns best this way I would love to know how you studied as a surgery resident. Thanks!

the purple book by devirgilio is a question book that has great ABSITE style questions