This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

should I apply DO this cycle?

• yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

breadedtoast

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My concern is my pretty subpar EC's.

I graduated May 2015 with a GPA=3.82, science=3.88. I tutored for 2 years while going to school but that's about the extent of my work.
Did a summer research gig between junior and senior year.
Since graduating I worked as a home health aide since I was unsure where I was going career wise. Did that for a year before stopping and working for my family's business which is completely unrelated to the medical field. I was looking for other work to gain experience but couldn't find anything so I started volunteering in a hospital once a week and shadowing.
Took my first MCAT in September 2017 and got 506 (125/127/127/127).

So I have 1000+ hours of patient care and 250hrs volunteering. I also have maybe 100hrs of shadowing between 2 doctors.

I was already planning on applying to DO because I figured my chances of getting in any MD are slim but what do you think my DO chances are with my lackluster EC's? Also applying pretty late in the cycle..

Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated May 2015 with a GPA=3.82, science=3.88. I tutored for 2 years while going to school but that's about the extent of my work.
Since graduating I worked as a home health aide since I was unsure where I was going career wise. Did that for a year before stopping and working for my family's business which is completely unrelated to the medical field. I was looking for other work to gain experience but couldn't find anything so I started volunteering in a hospital once a week and shadowing.

So I have 1000+ hours of patient care and 250hrs volunteering. I also have maybe 100hrs of shadowing between 2 doctors.

I was already planning on applying to DO because I figured my chances of getting in any MD are slim but what do you think my DO chances are with my lackluster EC's? Also applying pretty late in the cycle..

Thanks for any help!!
I think if you send in your apps ASAP for DO schools you have a good chance.

Your stats are probably good enough for MD with a well crafted schools list but it's a little late for the MD cycle. The DO cycle lasts longer so it's not yet late for DO. I would go ahead and apply both DO and MD. with 10 DO and 10 MD schools, I'd guess you'd get 2-5 DO II and maybe 1-2 MD II.

Also, your ECs are way above average. Your GPA and ECs are miles better than mine and I have 4 DO II. Can't imagine you wouldn't at least get some DO love with your stats even in November. You need to get your apps in quick though.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for any help!!
I think that you'll be OK.