This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats: GPA: 3.88
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 18 PAT (unfortunately also 16 QR)
URM
Volunteering: about 54 hours
Shadowing: about 52 hours
Virginia resident
After giving it a lot of thought I have decided to wait until July to apply so I can get my dentists letter of recommendation. I have already 3 letter of recs, 1 from nonscience and 2 from science but my state university VCU requires one from a dentist.
My school list so far:
1.) Roseman University
2.) Tufts University
3.) University of Colorado
4.) A.T still university
5.) University of Nevada (UNLV)
6.) Touro College
7.) Herman Ostrow
8.) Howard University
9.) Virginia Commonwealth University
10.) Meharry
11.) Western University (I only added them because they sent me like 3 emails telling me to apply lol)
12.) University of Maryland
13.) LECOM
14.) Midwestern University
15.) Marquette University

I realize it will be expensive to apply to 15 schools but I dont want to take any chances. However, please let me know if I should remove any schools or add any schools. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

up your shadowing and volunteering hours and you will be solid

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take off some of the more expensive schools like Roseman, Tufts, A.T. Still, Touro, Herman Ostrow (especially this one), Western, and Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, I only added them because they were very OOS friendly. Do u think I should add any others ?
I'd take off some of the more expensive schools like Roseman, Tufts, A.T. Still, Touro, Herman Ostrow (especially this one), Western, and Midwestern.

Thank you, I only added them because they were very OOS friendly. Do u think I should add any others ?
Look into schools that give you in state tuition after a year. Off the top of my head, I think Iowa and Stony do. I know your main goal is to get into dental school but you really should be aiming for a school that won't put you in 400k+ debt. Some of these schools will even run over half a million with compound interest. At that point, dental school might not even be worth it.

Roseman is an auto-reject if any section of the DAT is below a 17. So you're wasting your money with that school.

Look into schools that give you in state tuition after a year. Off the top of my head, I think Iowa and Stony do. I know your main goal is to get into dental school but you really should be aiming for a school that won't put you in 400k+ debt. Some of these schools will even run over half a million with compound interest. At that point, dental school might not even be worth it.
I will look into that thank you

My stats: GPA: 3.88
DAT: 21 AA, 21 TS, 18 PAT (unfortunately also 16 QR)
URM
Volunteering: about 54 hours
Shadowing: about 52 hours
Virginia resident
After giving it a lot of thought I have decided to wait until July to apply so I can get my dentists letter of recommendation. I have already 3 letter of recs, 1 from nonscience and 2 from science but my state university VCU requires one from a dentist.
My school list so far:
1.) Roseman University
2.) Tufts University
3.) University of Colorado
4.) A.T still university
5.) University of Nevada (UNLV)
6.) Touro College
7.) Herman Ostrow
8.) Howard University
9.) Virginia Commonwealth University
10.) Meharry
11.) Western University (I only added them because they sent me like 3 emails telling me to apply lol)
12.) University of Maryland
13.) LECOM
14.) Midwestern University
15.) Marquette University

I realize it will be expensive to apply to 15 schools but I dont want to take any chances. However, please let me know if I should remove any schools or add any schools. Thank you
dental school is expensive, applying is expensive, starting a practice is expensive. It sucks now but it's like, 2% of what your first year expenses will be. Don't think you should apply to less schools to save $80 now, cause if you don't get in this year you're effectively losing hundreds of thousands of dollars that you would have made. 15 is probably a decent number if you want to have a really good chance at an acceptance.

I had a 17 QR and asked Detroit Mercy if I should still apply when their website says they require all scores over 19, it ended up being my second interview after VCU and I was accepted December 1st. It's a different school, but at least ask Roseman before you take them off your list if you're legitimately interested in going there.

Reactions: 1 users
dental school is expensive, applying is expensive, starting a practice is expensive. It sucks now but it's like, 2% of what your first year expenses will be. Don't think you should apply to less schools to save $80 now, cause if you don't get in this year you're effectively losing hundreds of thousands of dollars that you would have made. 15 is probably a decent number if you want to have a really good chance at an acceptance.

I had a 17 QR and asked Detroit Mercy if I should still apply when their website says they require all scores over 19, it ended up being my second interview after VCU and I was accepted December 1st. It's a different school, but at least ask Roseman before you take them off your list if you're legitimately interested in going there.
Wow thanks I'll call them tomorrow

Wow thanks I'll call them tomorrow
I should have said this in my initial post but you should think hard about applying there, your stats are good and you should prioritize applying to the cheapest school with a few “backups”. Roseman is extremely expensive.

Reactions: 1 users