This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oarsman1864

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I decided to foolishly apply this cycle with a very low MCAT (505: p/c 129 cars 125 bio 128 psych 123) and have been put on pre-II hold at 2/9 schools and rejected at 4. My stats look like this:

-3.94 GPA at a large research university (Mol Bio/Biochem major)
-D1 rower (rowed in the first boat junior and senior year and also by far the shortest guy on the team)
-3 years research experience in a marine bio lab and a written honors thesis.
-sparse volunteering in coaching youth as well as working with for fundraisers for the homeless (about 25- 30 hours in total)
-50 hours shadowing primary care physician.

Currently, I am:
- working as a lab tech at a DO school and am on the path on publishing two papers by this year. (7 months)
-also work as patient transporter at a local hospital (about 90 hours and hoping to get to 200 hours by May)

What other areas on my application should I improve on and what MCAT score should I aim for especially being a reapplicant? I am an NJ resident. Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

You need a MCAT of 508 or higher to have a 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You also need to apply to many more schools. Include your 3 NJ state schools and another 20 private OOS schools. Seton Hall may also open for 2018. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several.

You need a MCAT of 508 or higher to have a 80% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You also need to apply to many more schools. Include your 3 NJ state schools and another 20 private OOS schools. Seton Hall may also open for 2018. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several.

Thank you for your advice! Hypothetically, with a 509-510 MCAT (what i've been averaging on the nextstep and aamc practice exams), would I have a shot at early decision at NJMS? I would really like to stay in state finance-wise but will definitely take your advice an apply to 20 OOS schools.

Thank you for your advice! Hypothetically, with a 509-510 MCAT (what i've been averaging on the nextstep and aamc practice exams), would I have a shot at early decision at NJMS? I would really like to stay in state finance-wise but will definitely take your advice an apply to 20 OOS schools.
Avoid early decision. By the time you receive your "early decision" it will be late in the application cycle to apply to other schools which puts you at a significant disadvantage. If your MCAT is within that range then I suggest these OOS schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth (PA)
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont