Reapply this coming cycle or next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaesterOfTheNorth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the Pre-Med DO thread, and don't know if it probably should be here instead.

So I applied this past cycle and have only received one interview (TouroNY) and was waitlisted for an interview (Touro-Nev). I have not heard back concerning the interview, and this late, I do not expect good news. My stats were cGPA 3.51, sGPA 3.28 (upward trend), 500, and OOS. I have 100+ hrs of volunteering at hospitals, 100+hrs of shadowing different specialties. The only new things I would have to add to my application are 2 new jobs (one of them being a physiology TA) I've had this past year.

I don't know if I should reapply this upcoming cycle and just apply earlier (most of my applications were sent around Dec/Jan, I surprisingly had less time than I thought I would have to work on my secondaries) and apply to more schools (applied to 8, got secondaries for all, but only sent in 6, again due to timing). Or if I should just do a post-bacc and reapply next cycle (2019-2020) and improve my stats a bit so that I have a chance with MD schools as well, which includes retaking the MCAT. Also I do not know if I necessarily should do a post-bacc (fear of doing awful and not getting in anywhere at all) or get a job in the clinical field (CNA/ER Tech) since I feel as though I'm lacking true clinical experience.

Sent secondaries to: LECOM, PCOM (both campuses), RVUCOM, Touro NY and Nevada

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't changed anything, there's no sense in reapplying. Spend that mental energy on MCAT prep and science post-bac classes at a local college with the cheapest tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
It's the MCAT, it usually is, there is something special about that test that schools think is the answer. Regardless, you've got to perform or they won't give you a shot. We could debate the usefulness of their conclusions, but until you can change their belief, you're screwed. Getting older helps, a lot older, I received interview invitations to schools I didn't even apply to. Point being, if you never score higher on the MCAT and you really want to become a doctor, you may get the chance by waiting. In the meantime I suggest you pour your heart and soul into that damn thing, maybe you can make things work.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to apply more broadly when you reapply. These are schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
ICOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM-South Georgia (new school)
If you apply to all these schools in June and submit your secondaries by July you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Add non clinical volunteering too.