General Admissions & OTCAS Rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTgirl29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been rejected/rejected from OT schools in the past...what would be your advice for moving forward? Did you reapply again? Apply multiple years in a row? Or have a back up plan? Also have you ever heard of anyone getting in with a low GRE score?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently an OTS but have been rejected from a previous cycle. If OT is truly what you want to do and you feel that the calling is affirmed, then I wouldn't give up. It is getting increasingly competitive. I reapplied and tried to use that year to better myself in areas of weakness. Venturing to applying more schools which you didn't consider before may also be an option. Everyone says the hardest part is getting in to a school. GRE is an easy filter for school to determine more qualified candidates but I know that it is not the only determining factor. Schools that conduct interviews and want to get to know the person face-to-face usually be less dependent and more forgiving of lower GRE and GPA scores.

Reactions: 1 users
I would encourage you to re-apply to OT programs. I was rejected my first year of applying right out of undergrad and was heartbroken. I explored other career paths but didn't find any that I was really passionate about. I decided on a whim to apply again to the same OT program I was rejected from (it's the only in my state & I wasn't in a position to go out of state), and I got in! Don't let the rejection discourage you. I would try to get more observation hours at as many different types of settings as you can and write a killer essay that highlights your passion and persistence for OT.

Reactions: 1 users