This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desperatelyhopefuldoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I have a terrible science GPA mainly because I got C's in almost all of my basic science coursework (my other basics are only B's, not even A's), so I am heavily considering doing a DIY postbacc and retaking all of that basic coursework. Will it be poorly reflected on DO applications that I retook all these classes?

And is it crazy to try to take orgo, gen chem, and physics (with their labs) all at the same time? Like gen chem I, orgo I, and phyiscs I fall semester, then the second sequences spring semester?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe retaking the classes will hurt you, but this doesn't seem like a good way to do it. You really need do very well in retakes for it to look good. If you struggled with these classes the first time around, attempting to ace them all at the same time will be super difficult.

My recommendation would be to be patient. Find some part-time healthcare job, and take one or two of the classes at a time, while getting some extra experience (and earning a bit of money along the way). This would extend the time before you apply by a year, but I think it's a safer way to do things. If you take them all at the same time and mess it up, it will take several years of work to fix it.

What is your sGPA/cGPA as is? After retakes what happens assuming all A's? It will be hard to ace these courses but doable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your cGPA/sGPA above a 3.25. The higher, the better. I did a DIY postbacc and applied with 9-Cs on my transcript. There are a few schools that will screen you out below a 3.25 GPA.

DO schools will reward you if you did better in all your retakes.

I essentially retook almost all of my basic science course work via a DIY post-bac at a CC over the course of a year. Bumped up my GPA from 3.0 to 3.5 cumulative and science from sub 3.0 to 3.5+ all while balancing two part-time jobs (one being clinical). It took a lot of focus and dedication, but if you really want to go to medical school you can absolutely do it. Good luck!

even after averaging grades on the amcas app?

@IDK22

Last edited:
Hi, so I have a terrible science GPA mainly because I got C's in almost all of my basic science coursework (my other basics are only B's, not even A's), so I am heavily considering doing a DIY postbacc and retaking all of that basic coursework. Will it be poorly reflected on DO applications that I retook all these classes?

And is it crazy to try to take orgo, gen chem, and physics (with their labs) all at the same time? Like gen chem I, orgo I, and phyiscs I fall semester, then the second sequences spring semester?

The whole point of grade replacement is to do exactly what you're planning!

Reactions: 1 user