Robert Wood vs. New Jersey Med...what do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megkudos

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion of which of these NJ State schools they would prefer. If you have a sec and would like to comment on why also, that would be awesome. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go to NJMS.... :) :clap:

I'd go to RWJ because of their commitment to working with the underserved. Their program is kind of like UCLA-DREW.

Members don't see this ad :)
NJMS has a bigger commitment to working with the underserved. I mean, its in Newark..unlike suburbia (RWJ).

krazykam,

RWJ serves New Brunswick (not a suburb) and Camden (poorer than Newark). RWJ is ranked second in the nation for community medicine, a result of their dedication to the underserved. Your first two years are in Piscataway (suburb) but your clinical rotations are mostly urban.

RWJ is also ranked for primary care.

So anybody have any new thoughts on this? I am trying to decide between the two schools and I am pretty sure I want to go to NJ Med. I really like the clinical experience and the student atmosphere of the school. Also I've lived in New Brunswick where RWJ is for 4 years already and think I need a change. Robert Wood does have really good reputation though and I would probably have to commute into Newark because it's not the greatest place to live. If I stay in New Brusnwick I have an apartment and a med student friend to live with already. It's a hard decision :) But I shouldn't complain. What do you guys think?

Also, is there anyone who's definately planning on attending one of these schools next fall? Thanks :)

It seems like you already know your answer medkudos.

I didn't apply to the Newark school so I can't really give a perceptive point of view on that school.

I interviewed at RWJ and thought it was a pretty good program. I really dug the HIPHOP project and, as a product of middlesex county, felt that I would really appreciate doing my clerkships in the county that reared me (so to speak). What I wasn't crazy about...the fact that most of the first and second year classes are taught by PhDs and not physicians/clinicians. I know the first two years are basic sciences, but I wonder how well they would be able to answer clinically oriented questions?/? Not sure about the Newark curriculum, but this was the one reservation I had about RWJ. The students seemed really nice, but I got that feeling from every school I visited. RWJ is relatively new, isn't it? And it is already getting some national clout for its primary care and community medicine. I think that is pretty impressive. I agree that a change of location is a good thing, but I think I'd choose another 4 years in the NBrunswick area than spend four years in Newark..Just my own feelings.

It seems like you are set on Newark. Just make your decision and relax for a few months. :)

Thanks souljah1 :)

Yeah you are proably right that I should just go for it :) I just want to make sure I make a fully informed decision that I will be happy with :) I went to NJ last week to visit and I've been talking to a lot of people about what they think.

It seems that many of the students at Rutgers with me are choosing Robert Wood over NJ Med. I fell like I am missing something. I think that people just don't want to live in Newark though. They want to stay here cuz they are comfortable and Robert wood is a very good school. When I talk to my advisors and doctors that I know, most of them think that Newark has an edge because of it's patient population. I know I need to do what's best for me.

Are you applying for next year also and if so where are you looking at?

They are both good schools. If you plan to stay in the new york/new jersey area then go with NJMED because you will see a better patient population, have a more clinically focused education, and it is well known in new york city. However, if you plan on doing your residency outside of NJ and NY then I would go to Robert Wood because even though they are a newer school they definitly have a more national reputation then NJMED. Also if you are interested in research or getting a combined degree then go to Robert Wood because they are stronger in those departments as well. But that is just my two cents, you can take it or leave it.