Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gotten pre-interview stress acne breakouts for every interview so far and I hate it. Comin' in full force tonight. -_-

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've gotten pre-interview stress acne breakouts for every interview so far and I hate it. Comin' in full force tonight. -_-

I feel you on that, this whole cycle has me in perpetual breakouts lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So I have been fortunate enough to be accepted to both campuses but now I can not decide which one to attend. I am a Utah resident and I like the St. George area more than Parker, but the fact that the RVU SU location is brand new kind of worries me. I understand that they are going to be the exact same as much as possible, but the Parker location is obviously more established (meaning established clubs/residencies/etc.). Even though I like the SU location more, ultimately I want to go to the school that will prepare me the best. What do you all think about that?

I had that concern at first as well, but particularly after interviews, I don't really worry about it. Remember that RVU will strictly be following the same schedule, so that even the same lectures are being given on the same day at each campus. Recordings are available from both locations, whichever one you are at. Yes, there has been more time for residencies to be established in CO, but at the interview they already talked about locations they have in place, plus they have another two years to cement it down before you'd be involved in rotations anyway. I'd prefer being in Southern Utah, so if I was accepted in CO as well, I'd still stick with UT, but each person has their own preferences. I don't think there's really a bad way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao just checked my portal, Ive been an "applicant" at utah since august 2nd. I'm just going to assume they lost my application or letters.

It looks like my status was just changed to complete on 10/3. I hope that it isn't too late to be considered for an interview here.

Does anyone know if RVUCOM-UT has a traditional interview format --is it open file or partial blind?

Just got the email that I have not been selected for an interview. Good luck to everyone!
Complete 9/2
GPA- 3.35
MCAT 511
OOS

Just got the email that I have not been selected for an interview. Good luck to everyone!
Complete 9/2
GPA- 3.35
MCAT 511
OOS
Also just an FYI for everyone out there I only applied to the CO campus

Was accepted to Utah on Tuesday! My interview was on 9/9, i loved the people I interviewed with and am hoping a lot of them got the call too!

It looks like my status was just changed to complete on 10/3. I hope that it isn't too late to be considered for an interview here.

With those stats? Doubtful.

EDIT: Doubtful as in, I doubt it will impact you too negatively to apply now.

Last edited:
Still in radio silence and I'm fine with that at this point lol. Complete 8/15 and 8/12 CO & UT

Members don't see this ad :)
II !!!!!!! Utah campus!!

For those of you who have interviewed at the Utah Campus before, how did you get there? Which airport did you fly in to and did you rent a car after that? Thanks!

Love how they mention the % of interviewees they accept in their email

Does anybody happen to know the deposit schedule for Utah Campus?

Is there anyone that has interviewed at UT already that wouldnt mind if i PM'ed them some questions :) itd be greatly appreciated

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the File complete status mean anything? It said appl like two days ago and now it says filec

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the File complete status mean anything? It said appl like two days ago and now it says filec
Had the same thing here. I think it means that our application is now able to be reviewed by admissions to determine if we should get an interview or not.

Is there anyone that has interviewed at UT already that wouldnt mind if i PM'ed them some questions :) itd be greatly appreciated

i'm also curious about the interview format! I have this interview coming soon.

btw Scrubs101, I am so happy to see you got the invite man!! you definitely deserve it

i'm also curious about the interview format! I have this interview coming soon.

btw Scrubs101, I am so happy to see you got the invite man!! you definitely deserve it

:) well thank you very much!! I'm definitely very excited about it!

For those that have questions about the interview, feel free to PM me.

Also, has anyone heard anything new about the student housing being built at the UT campus? Such as pricing/availability? Thanks

If you guys want to PM me I can try to answer some questions. I'm not a student yet so nothing too complicated

Thinking about adding this school to my list due to the good things I've been hearing about the education and board scores. Anyone know how hard the pre-screen is and if it's just by numbers or EC's?

Thinking about adding this school to my list due to the good things I've been hearing about the education and board scores. Anyone know how hard the pre-screen is and if it's just by numbers or EC's?

The prescreen to get a secondary application is only based on numbers. But you have to really have to spend time on your secondary applications and express everything you want the school to know about you in there. Those who get invited for interviews have an 75-80% chance of getting into the school. Also, the school doesn't only look at numbers! ECs, experience, essays, etc matters A LOT as well. (hence, people on here with high scores being angry about not getting in).

The school really cares about their students being well-rounded individuals. You should definitely give it a shot!

Good luck!

What's the timetable look like to hear back about application status after submitting the secondary for CO campus? Currently sitting at 15 days

What's the timetable look like to hear back about application status after submitting the secondary for CO campus? Currently sitting at 15 days

I submitted like august 1st for CO, complete the 15th, and still waiting for a decision from CO!

If you're having a difficult time decided between the two campuses.... there's a good foosball table in CO :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
I'm interviewing at CO on Wednesday and I'm curious what the turn around time is from interview to hearing back on acceptance. From what I've seen on this thread it's about a month. Is that right?

I'm interviewing at CO on Wednesday and I'm curious what the turn around time is from interview to hearing back on acceptance. From what I've seen on this thread it's about a month. Is that right?
They will tell you at the end of the interview! The longest should be 2 weeks. It just depends on how close your interview date is to when they meet to decide.

My group finds out on or around the 21st so I'd imagine your group would too.

When did you interview? I am really excited! Did they tell you that you would be notified in 2 weeks?

Rejected post secondary and via portal idk when. Check your portals guys-dont know if they send e-mail rejections

Hey guys. I apologize if there's another thread for the upcoming 2017 application cycle. I'll be applying this May and want to get a sense of what my chances are at this school, because this is my top choice school. Here's my stats: Cum GPA: 3.447. Sci GPA: 3.56 (did a lot of pre-req GPA repair). Master's in Neuroscience, but got almost all B's in my master's. 518 MCAT. I won't bore you with the details, but I have really good extracurriculars- hands-on patient care, leadership in community service to under-privileged nations. Research-ish experience (I did bench research, but never really enjoyed it). I want to become a primary care physician for rural communities. Any ideas? Thank you and good luck to all of you, and congratulations to anyone who just matriculated this fall.

Hey guys. I apologize if there's another thread for the upcoming 2017 application cycle. I'll be applying this May and want to get a sense of what my chances are at this school, because this is my top choice school. Here's my stats: Cum GPA: 3.447. Sci GPA: 3.56 (did a lot of pre-req GPA repair). Master's in Neuroscience, but got almost all B's in my master's. 518 MCAT. I won't bore you with the details, but I have really good extracurriculars- hands-on patient care, leadership in community service to under-privileged nations. Research-ish experience (I did bench research, but never really enjoyed it). I want to become a primary care physician for rural communities. Any ideas? Thank you and good luck to all of you, and congratulations to anyone who just matriculated this fall.

I got an II with worse stats than you across the board. IMO this school likes high stats, but the essays are hugely important. I spent tons of time on fitting my essays to each school I applied to (especially this one) and have had a solid cycle so far.

You've got the stats, and it seems you've got the ECs. Make sure you have good Letter writers to advocate for you as well. Write strong essays; convince them you belong at RVU. If you do this, I think you will have a good shot

Last edited:

Your stats will get you a secondary, but you have to heavily focus on the secondary application! Since RVU does most of the cut after looking at secondaries, you have to make sure that you have everything you want the school to know about you on there! Definitely make the essay personalized, etc. I would spend some time on their website looking over everything the school has to offer, so you can write specific things about the school that appeals to you. Since you're not applying until next year, I heavily suggest looking over the prompts for THIS year's essays, so you can get an idea of what they are asking for. The essays haven't been changing too much over the last couple of years, but that's not a guarantee that they won't change for next year, but they will at least give you something to think about. Also think about the "why should we pick you" question. You have almost a whole year to prepare for the application process. If this is one of your top choices, definitely show them that you did your homework and make them see that you will be a good fit for the school!

I'm sure you've seen this posted around a lot, but the school accept 75-80% of students they interview. So, make that secondary really good so you can land an interview!

I think you have a great chance if you live in Colorado or Utah (or close). They tend to like people in their region. During my interview I didn't get the feeling that they prefer primary care like a lot of DO schools do. But sounds like you are a great applicant and like everyone else said you need to write quality essays that show who you are. Good luck to you.

How long does it take to go from applicant status to complete on the portal? I sent my secondary in about 2 1/2 weeks ago and haven't had any changes to my portal or a complete email.

How long does it take to go from applicant status to complete on the portal? I sent my secondary in about 2 1/2 weeks ago and haven't had any changes to my portal or a complete email.

My secondary was received on 8/23 and my status didn't change to complete until 10/3. I'm not sure what the timetable looks like now, but I hope that helps you.

My secondary was received on 8/23 and my status didn't change to complete until 10/3. I'm not sure what the timetable looks like now, but I hope that helps you.
Same here