Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email saying my decision was delayed because they did not have enough time to review on Friday. They expect to review it on the 28. I interviewed 10/12

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email saying my decision was delayed because they did not have enough time to review on Friday. They expect to review it on the 28. I interviewed 10/12
Oh my god, this is awful. I haven't heard anything from phone call or email and am starting to freak out.

Dude congratulations. I'm hoping for some love here too. Dude you're crushing it. Will you remind me what your MCAT was? You posted it I just can't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait list email. At least it's not a rejection.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How long does it usually take for a file to be complete? I submitted my secondary 9/13 and my status is still AAPL. Should I contact them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone should make a Facebook page for the class of 2021 for CO!!!

That was thoughtful of them...so you didn't freak when all the acceptances hit SDN.

Sorry if this has been asked but is it worth it to apply without an MD/DO letter of rec? I've tried many many times but haven't been able to find anyone to shadow

My portal says that I am in the applicant stage. What the heck does that mean?

My secondary application was complete on 09/15, when can I expect to hear back from this school with anything?

My portal says that I am in the applicant stage. What the heck does that mean?

My secondary application was complete on 09/15, when can I expect to hear back from this school with anything?

It just means you have not been invited for an interview or been rejected yet. You'll hear from them if they want to invite you for an interview. If the applicant tab disappears, it means you've been rejected. RVU is pretty picky about who they interview, so it's a good sign you haven't been rejected yet. Just have to wait now.

It just means you have not been invited for an interview or been rejected yet. You'll hear from them if they want to invite you for an interview. If the applicant tab disappears, it means you've been rejected. RVU is pretty picky about who they interview, so it's a good sign you haven't been rejected yet. Just have to wait now.

You seem like a very knowledgeable person on the matter. Could you give me a general idea on how long the average wait time to hear back about an interview is?

Sorry if this has been asked but is it worth it to apply without an MD/DO letter of rec? I've tried many many times but haven't been able to find anyone to shadow
Listen, you can do it.

Go to your area hospital and ask for someone in volunteer services and tell them you want to volunteer in the emergency department and try there first. That's what I did. I introduced myself to every physician down there and have shadowed a handful of them and could easily get 2 or three letters at this point. Having volunteer hours is good for any school. That's my advice. You can get it if you keep pushing.

I shadowed my physician. Just go to your physician and ask. It'll help because they know you. Also, I had an MD letter but I called 100+ DOs and heard back from only a few. I didn't end up using the DO letter, but just putting it out there that it is hard, but it's definitely doable. If your primary care doc won't let you shadow them, I would go to google and search for every single doc near you and call them.

I shadowed my physician. Just go to your physician and ask. It'll help because they know you

The area I'm in, both my Family Med office and OB/Gyn don't allow students shadowing. I am just asking about the letter requirement.

You seem like a very knowledgeable person on the matter. Could you give me a general idea on how long the average wait time to hear back about an interview is?
It really depends. I know that the school puts a heavy emphasis on the secondary application, so it also depends on what you wrote in your essays. They'll also interview their top choices first and then go down the line. But since they hand out post-secondary rejects very frequently, it's a good sign that you still have the applicant tab. The number of applications the school gets per year has been increasing as well, so it might just be they haven't gotten to taking an in depth look at your application yet. Don't worry! I know it sucks, but at this stage, it's really all about the waiting game.

I got the FILEC for Utah today after they e-mailed me with a question about my letters... Submitted my secondary on the 17th of October, so that's a pretty quick turnaround... Now just have to cross my fingers.

I've connected to a couple of DOs through the AOA Mentorship program. You can meet people in person, or just connect with them through email or phone. Other than shadowing, you can ask them a lot of questions, get information about osteopathic medicine, their philosophy, school experiences, etc. Then you could send them your personal statement or other pertinent essays and they may likely help you out with a letter.

rejected pre interview with a 509 and 3.5 OOS. I def thought I would at least get an II.....
Sorry to hear that. RVU puts a lot of emphasis on the secondary application and the essays. They don't go off of stats alone.

I believe RVU-CO will be sending 3rd year students (who will be doing rotations in St. George, Provo, etc.) as tutors to Ivans as well as anatomy, OPP fellows, student ambassadors, etc. So although there won't be full classes ahead of you, you won't be totally alone. Not 100% sure but I've heard it from a couple of 2nd year students here.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe RVU-CO will be sending 3rd year students (who will be doing rotations in St. George, Provo, etc.) as tutors to Ivans as well as anatomy, OPP fellows, student ambassadors, etc. So although there won't be full classes ahead of you, you won't be totally alone. Not 100% sure but I've heard it from a couple of 2nd year students here.
I know that some of next years anatomy fellows will be going down to the Utah campus.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that some of next years anatomy fellows will be going down to the Utah campus.

Very cool. I was wondering how they were going to do the Anatomy and OMM without fellows. This is a good fix in my opinion.

These may not be the most educational questions in the world but can any RVU students or CO natives tell me what place most people go to to ski/snowboard in parker? Also i understand there isnt a gym on campus, are there close ones around town? And if you could just mention your fav part about the area id greatly appreciate it :)

Ouu and one educational q, i cant seem to find rotation site locations. If you could share the ones you know of thatd be awesome!

Thank you!

These may not be the most educational questions in the world but can any RVU students or CO natives tell me what place most people go to to ski/snowboard in parker? Also i understand there isnt a gym on campus, are there close ones around town? And if you could just mention your fav part about the area id greatly appreciate it :)

Ouu and one educational q, i cant seem to find rotation site locations. If you could share the ones you know of thatd be awesome!

Thank you!

Parker (and Denver) are in the desert flat lands. Mountains are off west. The closest legitimate slopes are gonna be about an hour and a half drive. In season on the weekends, traffic is horrendous and that 1.5 hr drive can turn into 2.5. Prepare to dodge a plethora of Texans and church vans going 35mph on the highway. Also prepare to dodge said Texans en masse at the more popular ski resorts (Breckenridge, Vail, Winter Park). Echo Springs is the closest, with Loveland right after.

There are a lot of gyms within 10 min drive of campus. I live in Denver, but I actually pass by RVU campus almost every day while out training on my road bike. Parker is very suburbia, but I really like that I can be out on country roads with ZERO cars really quickly. There are Tuesday and Thursday night throwdown races (road bike) at Meridian Blvd just north of Parker. Its a mix of pro cyclists and very serious amateurs that go hash it out for an hour.

I hear many OMS-I students live in Parker, but many move up closer to Denver after that. Personally, not super exciting place to live, but I'll likely be moving down - I want to spend the least amount of time possible commuting or being stuck in traffic (ubiquitous in the area), and I know that I'll be spending a ton of time on campus first year.

Thank you!

Tons of places to ski/snowboard. They are going to be 1-2 hours drive, which isn't too bad. Telluride, Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, etc! TONS!

There isn't a gym on campus but most of the apartments will have them. Parker is a nice area and the apartments usually all have a pool and gym (there are some without pools, but they all have a gym). Parker isn't an exciting town, but on the weekends we can Uber up to downtown Denver and split the check. There's a lot of places to bike and hike, and the traffic is pretty good!

The three cities you can rotate at: denver, colorado springs, and pueblo. You can also set up your own rotations. Also, I did hear that it's going to be easier to rotate in Utah since they opened up a new school there. I don't know the exact hospitals for the sites, but I'm sure someone on here knows!

Parker (and Denver) are in the desert flat lands. Mountains are off west. The closest legitimate slopes are gonna be about an hour and a half drive. In season on the weekends, traffic is horrendous and that 1.5 hr drive can turn into 2.5. Prepare to dodge a plethora of Texans and church vans going 35mph on the highway. Also prepare to dodge said Texans en masse at the more popular ski resorts (Breckenridge, Vail, Winter Park). Echo Springs is the closest, with Loveland right after.

There are a lot of gyms within 10 min drive of campus. I live in Denver, but I actually pass by RVU campus almost every day while out training on my road bike. Parker is very suburbia, but I really like that I can be out on country roads with ZERO cars really quickly. There are Tuesday and Thursday night throwdown races (road bike) at Meridian Blvd just north of Parker. Its a mix of pro cyclists and very serious amateurs that go hash it out for an hour.

I hear many OMS-I students live in Parker, but many move up closer to Denver after that. Personally, not super exciting place to live, but I'll likely be moving down - I want to spend the least amount of time possible commuting or being stuck in traffic (ubiquitous in the area), and I know that I'll be spending a ton of time on campus first year.

Tons of places to ski/snowboard. They are going to be 1-2 hours drive, which isn't too bad. Telluride, Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, etc! TONS!

There isn't a gym on campus but most of the apartments will have them. Parker is a nice area and the apartments usually all have a pool and gym (there are some without pools, but they all have a gym). Parker isn't an exciting town, but on the weekends we can Uber up to downtown Denver and split the check. There's a lot of places to bike and hike, and the traffic is pretty good!

The three cities you can rotate at: denver, colorado springs, and pueblo. You can also set up your own rotations. Also, I did hear that it's going to be easier to rotate in Utah since they opened up a new school there. I don't know the exact hospitals for the sites, but I'm sure someone on here knows!

Haha thank you both so very much for the very informational posts sounds like the perfect place to be for me.

One last question, any suggestions in terms of restaurants or places to get food while im in denver??

Haha thank you both so very much for the very informational posts sounds like the perfect place to be for me.

One last question, any suggestions in terms of restaurants or places to get food while im in denver??

If you have $$$: Euclid Hall. If $$, Denver Biscuit Company. If $, The Bagel Deli. If you like exotic ethnic food, there are a ton in Aurora. My fav thing to do here is go to some random restaurant like Indonesian, Eastern bloc, Ethiopian, etc. spot and try something new.

Thank you for the great response. That's exciting you'll be able to rotate in Colorado Springs I like that area a lot. I love manitou springs. Check that out one day if you haven't already.

If you have $$$: Euclid Hall. If $$, Denver Biscuit Company. If $, The Bagel Deli. If you like exotic ethnic food, there are a ton in Aurora. My fav thing to do here is go to some random restaurant like Indonesian, Eastern bloc, Ethiopian, etc. spot and try something new.

WOW just looked up the menus online and got reallll hungry, regardless of how my interview goes i may have to visit Denver more often lol

Thank you!!!!

RVU is my first choice school. For those of you who were interviewed/accepted, what were your stats???

3.38; 501. Definitely not my stats that got me in

I interviewed and was accepted at RVU-UT, I took these pictures while I was there. I thought you guys might want to see them!

Attachments

• 20161012_145402.jpg
    20161012_145402.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 158
  • 20161012_145411.jpg
    20161012_145411.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone who submitted their secondary in the past month or so been marked complete? My secondary was submitted on 10/9 and I haven't heard anything

Would any first/second years be willing to comment on what a typical day/week is like at RVU? Accepted to Utah campus and am very excited just wish I could have chatted with some current students during the interview! Thanks in advance!

Anyone who submitted their secondary in the past month or so been marked complete? My secondary was submitted on 10/9 and I haven't heard anything
Sent in my secondary early September, but my letters were not uploaded until 10/5. I was marked complete yesterday.