Rocky Vista University (RVU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 10th was the only date available in November when I got my II.

You're also going to Colorado, where the dates I mentioned are for Utah, so that may also explain the differences.
ah gotchya, thank you for the clarification!

Members don't see this ad.

Good news for all you Utah applicants. The Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) has just granted RVU permission to begin rolling out acceptances beginning today. I wouldn't expect a call today or anything - but maybe in the next few weeks after the admissions committee convenes again.

Hey guys! For those of you who are interested in attending RVU's Utah campus or maybe current students at RVU-CO, I was curious if there is anything about RVU's reputation or philosophy that makes this an ideal school for you to apply to?
Does the "freshly accredited" status turn you off at all?
Picking a medical school is a very huge commitment and I know that RVU seeks applicants that are excited to be apart of their community.
I'm interviewing as well 9/28 and want to come into the interview with a good perspective and good questions to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interview at Utah during the PM slot? What time does it finish? I booked a flight from Vegas at 7:50pm so I was wondering if I'd make that flight if the interview ends at 4:30pm...

Anyone interview at Utah during the PM slot? What time does it finish? I booked a flight from Vegas at 7:50pm so I was wondering if I'd make that flight if the interview ends at 4:30pm...
It's a two hour drive in perfect conditions. It might be doable, but it sounds like it might be a little tight, especially since you'll be entering the las vegas area during rush hour.

It's a two hour drive in perfect conditions. It might be doable, but it sounds like it might be a little tight, especially since you'll be entering the las vegas area during rush hour.
well does the interview end with a tour? i know for other interviews, they understand if you have to leave a little early in the end to catch a flight

Just a heads up to those applying to either the Utah or Colorado campus, admissions emailed me and told me that they don’t generally invite applicants for interviews that have less than a 3.4 gpa for either BPCM or cGPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up to those applying to either the Utah or Colorado campus, admissions emailed me and told me that they don’t generally invite applicants for interviews that have less than a 3.4 gpa for either BPCM or cGPA.

Also, another heads up, admissions doesn't look upon retakes of core science classes favorably even though AACOMAS has grade replacement.

Also, another heads up, admissions doesn't look upon retakes of core science classes favorably even though AACOMAS has grade replacement.

Welp I'm out of the running now lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I hope they enjoyed my donation, wish I knew that before applying!

What's BCPM? Is that like science gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW I had a retake or two (or three? can't remember) in core classes in my early days of undergrad and they accepted me. Don't be too quick to write yourselves off.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! For those of you who are interested in attending RVU's Utah campus or maybe current students at RVU-CO, I was curious if there is anything about RVU's reputation or philosophy that makes this an ideal school for you to apply to?
Does the "freshly accredited" status turn you off at all?
Picking a medical school is a very huge commitment and I know that RVU seeks applicants that are excited to be apart of their community.
I'm interviewing as well 9/28 and want to come into the interview with a good perspective and good questions to ask.

I was also curious as to what people are saying. I am having difficulty answering the question why RVUCOM-SU? I know why I want to go to RVUCOM, but there simply isn't much information regarding the Utah campus.

Will be calling student affairs staff on Monday

I was also curious as to what people are saying. I am having difficulty answering the question why RVUCOM-SU? I know why I want to go to RVUCOM, but there simply isn't much information regarding the Utah campus.

I hear the cost of living in Utah is shockingly low.

I havent been there but ive heard the location is beautiful. There's some info regarding it on the website/newsletters, i was able to find too many reasons why id love this school may have gotten my hopes up a bit

Reactions: 1 users
RIP, 3.3 cGPA here =/

It's not a hard and fast rule.
With a BCPM of 3.16 but a MCAT of 28 so I'm not very hopeful. My main selling point is extensive experience working with the underprivileged, and that doesn't seem to be a big part of the school's Mission. Still seemed like a great institution so just hoping for the best. Rather be pleasantly surprised that bitterly disappointed.

Rejected CO today post secondary. I think my performance in undergrad and shaky MCAT score I took before grad school is too much to overcome, as I felt like I performed exceptionally well in my master's program. Really disappointed as I toured the school a few months back and fell in love with the place.

3.4 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
26 MCAT
4.0 in Master's of Science Program w/ publication co-authorship and poster presentation over research
4000+ hours working in healthcare
Solid LOR's

Best of luck to everyone.

Rejected CO today post secondary. I think my performance in undergrad and shaky MCAT score I took before grad school is too much to overcome, as I felt like I performed exceptionally well in my master's program. Really disappointed as I toured the school a few months back and fell in love with the place.

3.4 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
26 MCAT
4.0 in Master's of Science Program w/ publication co-authorship and poster presentation over research
Solid LOR's

With those stats you most likely will be accepted if you applied broadly in DO. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

3.4 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
26 MCAT
Solid LOR's

Via email or checking portal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Via email or checking portal?
Email surprisingly since I've read about so many ghost rejections on the portal. I have been checking it daily since I was complete on 8/2.

With those stats you most likely will be accepted if you applied broadly in DO. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Fingers crossed!

Is it possible to get IIs to both campuses?

II early this morning to Colorado campus! scheduled interview exactly two weeks after my Utah campus interview!

Super stoked, hoping between the two I will get an acceptance.

II early this morning to Colorado campus! scheduled interview exactly two weeks after my Utah campus interview!

Super stoked, hoping between the two I will get an acceptance.

Congrats thats awesome! If you dont mind sharing when were you complete?

For those who interview at Utah campus, did they tell you a timeline for a decision during the interview day?

Submitted CO secondary 8/1 and complete 8/8

Oh crap my complete date is really close to yours maybe my decision will be soon.

And congrats! This seems to be a very difficult school to get an II for

Complete 08/03 and nothing...jeez this school looks amazing :(

For those who interview at Utah campus, did they tell you a timeline for a decision during the interview day?
Yes. I interviewed on 9/9/16 at the Utah campus. They told us they'd respond by the first week of October. If you are denied or waitlisted, they will respond via email. If you are accepted, they will contact you by phone. I have been nervous every time I get an email notification on my phone! Now I always hope it isn't from RVU, which is a change from when I was waiting for an interview invite. The wait is killing me. Hopefully I'll get that phone call within the next couple of weeks.

II at Colorado campus! #1 school by far! complete 8/10

I know most, if not all, rejections that I've seen so far are from the CO campus, but did anyone get a rejection from the Utah campus?

3.33/3.42/505 (balanced)

Lots of retakes.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Also lol now that im post academic update we literally have the exact same stats to the .0X. Hoping i can get some love from here too lol. Email or Portal?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Also lol now that im post academic update we literally have the exact same stats to the .0X. Hoping i can get some love from here too lol. Email or Portal?

Ayyyyy:cool:

I swear, it's freaky how similar we are! I'll be watchin' for your username brotha :D

It was via e-mail for. The interview tabs became available in my portal shortly after.

Ayyyyy:cool:

I swear, it's freaky how similar we are! I'll be watchin' for your username brotha :D

It was via e-mail for. The interview tabs became available in my portal shortly after.

Hahaha the similarities are crazy. The only major differences i can think of are our clinical experiences and i think you're a year further school wise i believe. But sweet thank you! What was your completion date btw? You can PM me if you prefer

Hahaha the similarities are crazy. The only major differences i can think of are our clinical experiences and i think you're a year further school wise i believe. But sweet thank you! What was your completion date btw? You can PM me if you prefer

Complete 08/03

How did you guys find out your application was complete? I submitted secondary on 8/22 and my status still says applicant. All my required documents are in and i've been complete at numerous other schools.

How did you guys find out your application was complete? I submitted secondary on 8/22 and my status still says applicant. All my required documents are in and i've been complete at numerous other schools.

It will say "FILEC" in your admissions status. I submitted all my required documents to this school in mid July. Took them a few weeks to mark me as complete.

I know most, if not all, rejections that I've seen so far are from the CO campus, but did anyone get a rejection from the Utah campus?

I have been rejected for the Utah campus but am still listed as FILEC for Colorado. Really keeping my fingers crossed for an interview there!