Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn’t actually shadow them, I did research in their lab. For my medical school application I used the letter from the Professor who was the director of the lab.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

M2 from the BMS program, happy to answer questions so i can not study for step

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have my interview next Friday.

Good luck lion! Rooting for you! I wonder how long the turn around time is usually from interview to decision for BMS students.

Also how have classes been overall? Do you have any free time besides studying? Is there any sort of camaraderie with your class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Good luck lion! Rooting for you! I wonder how long the turn around time is usually from interview to decision for BMS students.

Also how have classes been overall? Do you have any free time besides studying? Is there any sort of camaraderie with your class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I’m guessing that turnaround time varies but I’m hoping I’ll hear within the next 1 month. Classes haven’t been that bad, except for TIPS (topics in physiology)- kind of a mixed bag seemed to be there for professors to discuss more research related topics. I don’t have too much free time but do manage to get to downtown Chicago once a month to meet my old roommates. I think the camaraderie has been really strong- we help each other with studying, and I’ve had M1 students go out of their way to help me with MMI interview practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys.
My MCAT is scheduled early May. I did some practice tests with the GRE and been scoring okay - with 2 weeks or so of dedicated studying, I can score well on the GRE. My GPA isn't so great (3.3)

I don't know whether or not to just focus on the MCAT and submit my application once my May scores are released in June or take the GRE and apply sooner? I'll still be taking the MCAT but am worried applying in June would hurt my application and most seats will be filled by then also.

Thanks for the help.

The issue is going to be the timing as you are looking to take the MCAT a little later/ you only need a 496 minimum, although that is no guarantee of admission. Note that it looks like they’ve also added taking the CASPER test as a requirement and that it needs to be done by June 1. Could you take the MCAT earlier and then apply? The application deadline is July 1, so it’s unlikely that they would have filled every spot for the program by June. If you have any questions about the program PM me as I’m a BMS student and interviewing for the med school this week.

I've completed all my prereqs for the BMS program but have one remaining for Med school. Would it be a deterrent to get accepted into Roslind Franklin med school if I take the last prerequisite in the summer between BMS and CMS?

I've completed all my prereqs for the BMS program but have one remaining for Med school. Would it be a deterrent to get accepted into Roslind Franklin med school if I take the last prerequisite in the summer between BMS and CMS?

Not sure, but I would certainly ask the admissions office. I think that any medical school is going to be strict about its prerequisites. That being said, I don’t think that you could get accepted to the medical school without fulfilling all of the prerequisites. In addition I would think that you would be alerted by the medical school that you still need to complete whatever requirement is missing.

Hi guys.
My MCAT is scheduled early May. I did some practice tests with the GRE and been scoring okay - with 2 weeks or so of dedicated studying, I can score well on the GRE. My GPA isn't so great (3.3)

I don't know whether or not to just focus on the MCAT and submit my application once my May scores are released in June or take the GRE and apply sooner? I'll still be taking the MCAT but am worried applying in June would hurt my application and most seats will be filled by then also.

Thanks for the help.

Early May MCAT should be fine. I was accepted to BMS after my April 21st MCAT score released. Submitted completed app in early June. Accepted about two weeks later. Really no reason to take GRE. Save your money!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Early May MCAT should be fine. I was accepted to BMS after my April 21st MCAT score released. Submitted completed app in early June. Accepted about two weeks later. Really no reason to take GRE. Save your money!

Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm a current BMS student, and I have to say that if you are considering attending this program as a way of getting into CMS, please do reconsider as this program has changed drastically despite what we have been told. Feel free to PM me if you want further details as I don't want to leave any sensitive info on this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm a current BMS student, and I have to say that if you are considering attending this program as a way of getting into CMS, please do reconsider as this program has changed drastically despite what we have been told. Feel free to PM me if you want further details as I don't want to leave any sensitive info on this forum.

Yikes this is making me nervous about attending. Anyone else have any input on this? I thought this was one of the safer bets in terms of SMPs, but this is making me reconsider.

Hi! Why did you do this program if you had a high gpa and mcat? I thought it's more for people who have struggled with one of those or both?

After talking to students I have learned: 86 ppl in the program 83 applied, 59 interviewed and received decisions (I'm not sure how many got in trying to figure this out). 24 students interview next Thursday. Like IdealNFP I also thought this was a very safe SMP program but this issue might be they no longer take classes with the med students now. It is now a system based curriculum that doesn't take classes with the med students. So they might be placing a bigger emphasis on uGPA, MCAT, but also how you do in the program might be more important (previously years getting B's no matter if it was high or low was fine bc med school classes) getting high B's or A's is probably very important because CMS can see your exam scores. So if your skating by with low B's and barely passing probably gonna be lethal for your application to CMS now.

Last edited:
hi everyone, I'm also a current BMS student and am disappointed with how this all played out. I'm also slightly concerned about the information that was told to us vs. what actually occurred. I think this is gonna reflect poorly on the institution and the BMS program as a whole if it continues. feel free to message me for more information!

Hey all. Current BMS student here, conditionally accepted yesterday. I’ll start by saying I really can’t account for all of the reasons why some people didn’t get in. But I’m happy to offer a good review for anyone considering the program. I’ve had a great experience here! Feel free to PM.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone!
I am also a current BMS student and I am very disappointed how everything worked out! I do not recommend this program at all because they are not transparent at all. They tell one student one this and another student something completely different. We were told to maintain As and Bs (did not differentiate between high Bs or low Bs) do well on the interview for an admission into CMS. That was definitely not the case as I did both and still didn’t get accepted.

I just interviewed this week so am awaiting their decision.

Current BMS student, the amount of people who got accepted vs didn’t is definitely higher. Not sure why some people who did have grades didn’t make it and the only reasons are probably because of interview or some other reason on their apps based from what I’ve gathered from advisors. I know people who had uGPA and MCAT below 3.0 and 500 respectively who barely got a B and made it. There’s definitely more to it than just grades, but if you get involved and do the work there should be nothing stopping you. Doing the work in itself is a whole other beast. I had 3.0 uGPA and a lackluster mcat. Coming to this program gave me about a 60% chance of getting in. I knew it wasn’t a guarantee, but it was the best shot I had. All SMPs are a gamble and this one paid off for myself and a lot of my peers. Yes I’m well aware of people who had grades and didn’t get in and I feel for them, but at the same time the program is still great and whether or not I got in, I still learned how to study. I learned what it took to ace these classes and that alone is a skill worth finishing the year out for. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to message me.

For reference: I applied 2 cycles and only had one interview which was at RFU. So yes I personally think it was worth it for someone like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! I'm also a current BMS student and I received conditional acceptance to CMS this week. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are of those who were accepted vs those rejected or why those decisions were made. Ultimately, I made As and Bs, did my volunteer hours and continued clinical experience during BMS and believe my interview went well. I also know that those in my immediate friend group received acceptances as well. I have enjoyed my experience in the BMS program and would recommend the program! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about my experience.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I'm also a current BMS student and I received conditional acceptance to CMS this week. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are of those who were accepted vs those rejected or why those decisions were made. Ultimately, I made As and Bs, did my volunteer hours and continued clinical experience during BMS and believe my interview went well. I also know that those in my immediate friend group received acceptances as well. I have enjoyed my experience in the BMS program and would recommend the program! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about my experience.

Hey it isn't allowing me to PM I have some questions about the program.

Hey everyone! I am a current student at this program and was conditionally accepted.I thought I would make a new account to help others who are looking into this program. I honestly cannot be more happy with how this program worked out. It has been the hardest thing I have ever done but at the same time, it has also been the most rewarding. I had my own complaints about it over the past few months but honestly, nothing will be perfect. I will try to log on here whenever I get a chance in the coming months to give my perspective as much as I can. Feel free to DM me with questions.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

Current BMS student here. I have been conditionally accepted. This program provided me with an opportunity that I never had before. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.3 and I got a 503 on the MCAT. Administration told us nothing is guaranteed but basically we need B’s and to do good in the interview (which they prepared us well for). I did that and nothing more than that. Highly recommend this program.

To all those guys that got conditionally accepted,congrats!! But dont mess it up. Too many people over the last few years have lost their acceptances because of getting too comfortable and letting a grade slip.

There's somebody on reddit that said recently that she had a mid-year GPA of 3.8 and was rejected. So apparently they do look at the whole package? She thought her interview went well, so I don't get why she was rejected? How does grading work exactly?

There's somebody on reddit that said recently that she had a mid-year GPA of 3.8 and was rejected. So apparently they do look at the whole package? She thought her interview went well, so I don't get why she was rejected? How does grading work exactly?

Can you link this reddit post on here?

It sounds like to me 2 things happened: One she didn't complete the necessary volunteer hours either before or during the program. And most likely her interview didn't go well. But I'm just speculating. This person doesn't mention its RFU's program does it say it somewhere else on the thread?

She explained in an older post that she did all the volunteer hours they requested, so I don't think its that. I guess it must have been the interview. She said that she was in Rosalind Franklin's BMS program.

Grading is pretty straightforward- we know exactly how much each test is worth since that is announced at the beginning of the course. So certain physiology tests (cardiovascular, respiratory) have a lot more weight than the first physiology unit, which was general physiology. Yes, some of the questions are tricky, but getting at least an 80 in every course is certainly attainable. Tests are curved to a score of 80%, so if the class average is 76% for a test, everyone gets 4% added to their score.

Also if you're wondering about BMS application timeline, I applied at the end of May once my MCAT score was released and was accepted mid-June for the program beginning in August.

Does this mean you took the MCAT in April then?

Hi! Why did you do this program if you had a high gpa and mcat? I thought it's more for people who have struggled with one of those or both?

I will still be applying. I have heard more positive's then negative's about this program. I have a friend who went through the BMS program and did not get in and he was able to recognize that the BMS program really pushed him and challenged him and made him a better student. After one gap year he retook his MCAT and got in to medical school. He said that the BMS program prepared him for med school and is very happy he went to RFU.

Yes. I took the April 21st MCAT last year and it was my first and only. Waited for my score to post before I applied to BMS.

Do you think a May MCAT would be okay?

Also could you check your PM I sent you a message a few days ago.

I will still be applying. I have heard more positive's then negative's about this program. I have a friend who went through the BMS program and did not get in and he was able to recognize that the BMS program really pushed him and challenged him and made him a better student. After one gap year he retook his MCAT and got in to medical school. He said that the BMS program prepared him for med school and is very happy he went to RFU.

I fully agree with your friend. I was conditionally accepted to CMS, but with all of that aside I have tremendously improved as a student during this program. And regardless of the outcome it has definitely prepared me to do well in medical school. I will always advocate for this program as it has provided me with an opportunity that I may have otherwise waited multiple years/cycles to accomplish.

I fully agree with your friend. I was conditionally accepted to CMS, but with all of that aside I have tremendously improved as a student during this program. And regardless of the outcome it has definitely prepared me to do well in medical school. I will always advocate for this program as it has provided me with an opportunity that I may have otherwise waited multiple years/cycles to accomplish.

Do you mind sharing your stats coming into the program?

Has anyone who had taken the MCAT multiple times been conditionally accepted to CMS?
if you get into the BMS program with whatever MCAT score, doesnt matter how many times; just do well in the classes and interviews and you'll be fine

I was curious if anyone knows how long it may take to find out my advisor, and to receive info about if I need more volunteer hours or not. My application had about 1500 non clinical hours and about 1000 clinical, so I imagine there may be a possibility of not having to get any more hours?

I was curious if anyone knows how long it may take to find out my advisor, and to receive info about if I need more volunteer hours or not. My application had about 1500 non clinical hours and about 1000 clinical, so I imagine there may be a possibility of not having to get any more hours?

If that’s the case then you won’t need any more hours. Also, we were assigned our advisors about a week before orientation started.

Whats the timeline (approximately) of the BMS program from orientation to end of classes/graduation?

Orientation will be August 6-9. Classes start August 12. Fall quarter ends November 1, there will be a fall break the week of Nov 4-8. Winter quarter starts Nov 11. Christmas/New Years break is December 20-Jan 5. Spring quarter ends February 14. Spring break is week of Feb 17-21 And the final day of school is May 15! Graduation date for 2020 is Friday June 4! Hope that helps!

Does the biochemistry course at BMS satisfy the biochemistry requirement for CMS, or would I need to take a undergraduate level biochemistry?

You will have to take an undergraduate biochemistry course prior to attending BMS. I believe it's a requirement to begin even the BMS program. Also, you would struggle heavily without it because the BMS Biochemistry course is essentially the same as the medical school biochem course and it's intense.

Well I just looked up the requirements page and I guess I don't see it listed so I could be wrong. I recommend sending an email to the BMS admissions and see if it the BMS Biochem would work for the medical school. I doubt that it would, but again I could be wrong. I still highly recommend undergrad biochem prior to BMS if possible just due to the pace. I think we covered all of undergrad material in a week or two worth of time so a foundation is nice to have.

Whats the timeline (approximately) of the BMS program from orientation to end of classes/graduation?
You have orientation, You are chilling for a while and nothing seems to bad. Then, they give you so much coursework you basically drown in it and don't know how you will handle it. But at the same time, you love it and you don't know why you love it. And then you graduate.