Ross students - need interview advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sooo excited! I am interviewing with Ross this month! I have heard nothing but great things about the school so I am really looking forward to it! Any advice - please?

Also, how is the financial situation there? I am curious since the dollar is so low.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't help much but I wanted to say congratulations and good luck! I too have heard great things about Ross. Let us know how it goes!

GOOD LUCK!! Please let us know how it goes. I am applying to the Caribbean schools as well. Curious as to what you think about the island, if your interview is there, and what they ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I'm SO excited for you! It's good that you have an interview so early in the semester; mine was toward the end of Ross's spring semester, so I had to wait a lot longer for the decision, since the admissions committee was on vacation. Silly vacations. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'll try to give you as much advice as possible without going on too many tangents...

First of all, the most important thing is to relax and be yourself! I was a nervous wreck at mine, and it did not help- I thought I kind of made an ass out of myself, but they apparently liked me. :) BTW, do you know who your interviewer will be and which location you are going to? For some reason, I'm thinking you live in VA, but I could be wrong.

Right, no tangents. :oops: Come up with questions to ask about Ross beforehand so that you have something to say when they ask if you have any. Similarly, think about anything you might want to explain or add to your app. When they asked if I had anything to add, I explained why I had decided to major in French, since most people seem to think it's an odd choice for someone who wants to go to vet school, and I explained that I had slacked off during my first year of undergrad but since then have been more dedicated to my studies.

They don't ask any random medical questions (I'd heard that some schools do, so I was studying my Merck Manual like a spaz :rolleyes:), but they did ask one question that kinda threw me- what is was a major significant moment in your life. I just totally wasn't expecting it. So prepare more for questions like that one. Also, if you have any experience studying or living abroad, make sure you highlight that- they just want to know that you'll be able to handle studying and living in a very unfamiliar environment (so if you've had an experience like that, even if it wasn't in another country, make sure to mention it). They mostly focus on asking your questions about your different animal experiences and what was entailed in them, so I'd practice talking about them eloquently (like I said, I was nervous, and ended up being not so eloquent...).

Other than that, make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before and eat something beforehand that will be soothing to your stomach if you get butterflies. Bring a bottle of water in case your throat gets dry (that is VERY inconvenient), and make sure to smile and be yourself! The interview is pretty laid back and very conversational, so don't feel like you'll be put on the spot.

As for the financial situation, the exchange rate actually hasn't really changed here, as far as I can tell. A lot of things that you get used to in the States will be expensive here (like Lean Pockets :() and other things will be difficult to find (like tater tots :(:(). The cheapest easy-to-make things here are mac and cheese and tuna, so I hope you like them! ;) If you want to ask about how expensive specific foods are or how much my weekly groceries usually are, just PM me. As for other expenses, I'm living on campus right now, which is roughly $900/month for a single efficiency (including kitchenette and own bathroom) apartment (it's $2700/semester). Next semester, I'm moving off campus and my rent will be $600/month (I'm sharing a $1200/month apartment with a friend) plus electricity and internet. The off-campus housing office tells us that most students pay between $700 and $1000/month, so I guess I got a little lucky. Living down here is a little more expensive than the States, but I think the tuition is also lower, so it works out.

Alright, I can't think of anything else, but I hope that helped! Feel free to ask here and/or PM me with any more questions. Good luck on your interview (although you won't need it)! :):luck:

As for other expenses, I'm living on campus right now, which is roughly $900/month for a single efficiency (including kitchenette and own bathroom) apartment (it's $2700/semester). Next semester, I'm moving off campus and my rent will be $600/month (I'm sharing a $1200/month apartment with a friend) plus electricity and internet. The off-campus housing office tells us that most students pay between $700 and $1000/month, so I guess I got a little lucky. Living down here is a little more expensive than the States, but I think the tuition is also lower, so it works out.
Isn't $2700 divided by 4 $675, not $900?
My friend pays $400/month for rent and walks to school.
Tuition is cheaper? My friend will have over $200,000 in loans. I thought it was around $15K/semester in tuition, or about $150,000 for tuition alone.... not including books, living, etc.

Wow, thanks ZPink for all the great info! I do live in VA and am interviewing in Charlotte, NC with Kristin Austin. I am sure I will come up with some questions over the next two weeks and will definitely PM you! Right now, I am still just being excited over the fact that I got an interview!:banana:

Isn't $2700 divided by 4 $675, not $900?
My friend pays $400/month for rent and walks to school.
Tuition is cheaper? My friend will have over $200,000 in loans. I thought it was around $15K/semester in tuition, or about $150,000 for tuition alone.... not including books, living, etc.

I divided it by 3, because this first semester is about 3 months and 2 weeks long, I just rounded down. I was pretty sure the tuition was cheaper than the US schools per semester- it's about $13,000 per semester. But there are 10 semesters total, which I think is more than the US schools, so between that and the higher cost of living, it probably works out to about the same. I'll also probably be about $200,00 in debt, including loans from undergrad.