Ross University School of Medicine MATCH 2016 Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread sounds promising....

Lol are you gonna caribbean bash? I'm expecting it, but this thread is meant to show people that the doctors that come out of Ross are really impressing RD's. We aren't really your average caribbean school so people need to stop clumping us with the likes of AUA, St. Kitts, Saba etc...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol are you gonna caribbean bash? I'm expecting it, but this thread is meant to show people that the doctors that come out of Ross are really impressing RD's. We aren't really your average caribbean school so people need to stop clumping us with the likes of AUA, St. Kitts, Saba etc...

I actually defend the caribbean(though I am not pro caribbean). I just dont see this thread going well. And I think AUC, Ross SGU and Saba are essentially interchangeable.

I actually defend the caribbean(though I am not pro caribbean). I just dont see this thread going well. And I think AUC, Ross SGU and Saba are essentially interchangeable.

Well lets hope people stay professional and mature when discussing how I am going to be a terrible doctor because I went to the caribbean. You know, the usual haha! :)

In all seriousness there are some things that need to be considered. How many people were lost to attrition, what percentage of people matched and how many of those spots are general surgery prelims?

In all seriousness there are some things that need to be considered. How many people were lost to attrition, what percentage of people matched and how many of those spots are general surgery prelims?

you can adjust the spreadsheet by pg1 and pg2 matches. There's a good chunk of surg prelims on there.

So as a student I have no idea what the actual attrition is. Our class started with 360ish, now we're down to about 200. I am a 3rd semester in the accelerated program (second year). That number is probably closely guarded by the admins. How many are surge prelim you can count lol, they are stated on the match result. I was told around 800 applied to this years match. So it was a pretty nice rate. Devils advocate tho, some were probably not from the same year class that matched with the new class. Either way it's impressive and we are getting better and better by the year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The number of academic programs on their list gets smaller every year.

Well it's hard to match academic programs when there are medical schools associated with those programs that weren't before. But we still hit em, we just gotta be more competitive then the grads they are spitting out. RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week! This was told to me by an actual RD at the hospital I volunteered at. He said the only time he considers the place of graduation is when there is a neck and neck tie.

RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week!

I won't deny that this was said to you, but it isn't a universal sentiment. Or even a majority view. Many, many programs don't ever see that better score because the IMG applications get filtered out and never looked at.

Reactions: 12 users
I won't deny that this was said to you, but it isn't a universal sentiment. Or even a majority view. Many, many programs don't ever see that better score because the IMG applications get filtered out and never looked at.

I mean let's not deny that the majority of Ross grads end up in primary care where said "filter" doesn't usually apply. Unless you're aiming for an IVY league (but not always given by this year's match which included Mayo and Duke). Granted it's more difficult for sure to get the top-tier programs, but it is possible. We have to work harder and prove our worth to a greater degree than AMG's. The vast majority of Ross grads do NOT apply to derm, surge, ortho, etc... Some do, and some get them, but the likelihood is diminished due to the bureaucracy of the whole process. So I agree with you there, we can't really get the ultra-competitive residencies. I want IM because I actually like primary care a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, this isn't true no matter how much you want it to be.

I respect your opinion. Thanks, I'll just continue to look at the match stats we continue to shatter year after year. I appreciate your feedback.

Well it's hard to match academic programs when there are medical schools associated with those programs that weren't before. But we still hit em, we just gotta be more competitive then the grads they are spitting out. RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week! This was told to me by an actual RD at the hospital I volunteered at. He said the only time he considers the place of graduation is when there is a neck and neck tie.

RD's are dietitians.

Also, your N=1 of someone not caring of place of graduation is NOT generalizable.

Also: I follow SDN threads closely. I don't think there's a lot of Caribbean bashing. There is a lot of warning people about going down that route. Your post exemplifies that risk (i.e. your class starting at 360 and already cut down to 200 by the third out of 8 semesters). In addition to the attrition, there is an uphill battle getting a residency compared to US grads (e.g. your list of 800 has ZERO ortho/ent/plastics/urology/radiation oncology). That again reinforces the point above that PD's do take into consideration the school attended and rotations/letters of rec, etc. I am sure some of the 800 students had stellar step 1 scores. That's only a small piece of the puzzle.

Also: how are there 800 students matching this year? Obviously they are not all class of 2016. So, how many years in a row did they have to apply to match? What did they do in the interim? How many years in school? Again, emphasizing that chances aren't stacked in your favor.

Finally: to go back to the "bashing" of caribbean students/schools: the idea is NOT that we think EVERYONE coming from the caribbean (or other foreign school) is inferior or automatically a bad doctor. It's just that 1) you take a huge risk going to a foreign school (even the better ones) and 2) you are an unknown commodity compared to a US grad for US residency and 3) I've heard that since medicare pays resident salaries, there is pressure on programs to prioritize american grads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
1 duke neurology and the mayo was a surgical prelim.

Really the most impressive thing were the 2 derm matches. There was a neurosurgery in there. Otherwise it is basically a who's who of undesirable programs and specialties. Not exactly shattering anything

The only match lists that I remember which consistently impress are harvard and penn

Reactions: 3 users
I mean let's not deny that the majority of Ross grads end up in primary care where said "filter" doesn't usually apply. Unless you're aiming for an IVY league (but not always given by this year's match which included Mayo and Duke). Granted it's more difficult for sure to get the top-tier programs, but it is possible. We have to work harder and prove our worth to a greater degree than AMG's. The vast majority of Ross grads do NOT apply to derm, surge, ortho, etc... Some do, and some get them, but the likelihood is diminished due to the bureaucracy of the whole process. So I agree with you there, we can't really get the ultra-competitive residencies. I want IM because I actually like primary care a lot!

I am an OB/GYN - not known as one of the more competitive specialties. My program is a smaller "communiversity" program associated with a state school in a "flyover state"- not a competitive program. That filter is still there. Lest anyone think that it's only the ultra-competitive places where they get filtered out.

Reactions: 5 users

From what I see on the list there are 2 derm matches and 1 neurological surgery match. I didn't see this on the previous match list.

RD's are dietitians.

Also, your N=1 of someone not caring of place of graduation is NOT generalizable.

Also: I follow SDN threads closely. I don't think there's a lot of Caribbean bashing. There is a lot of warning people about going down that route. Your post exemplifies that risk (i.e. your class starting at 360 and already cut down to 200 by the third out of 8 semesters). In addition to the attrition, there is an uphill battle getting a residency compared to US grads (e.g. your list of 800 has ZERO neurosurgery/ortho/ent/plastics/urology/radiation oncology). That again reinforces the point above that PD's do take into consideration the school attended and rotations/letters of rec, etc. I am sure some of the 800 students had stellar step 1 scores. That's only a small piece of the puzzle.

Also: how are there 800 students matching this year? Obviously they are not all class of 2016. So, how many years in a row did they have to apply to match? What did they do in the interim? How many years in school? Again, emphasizing that chances aren't stacked in your favor.

Finally: to go back to the "bashing" of caribbean students/schools: the idea is NOT that we think EVERYONE coming from the caribbean (or other foreign school) is inferior or automatically a bad doctor. It's just that 1) you take a huge risk going to a foreign school (even the better ones) and 2) you are an unknown commodity compared to a US grad for US residency and 3) I've heard that since medicare pays resident salaries, there is pressure on programs to prioritize american grads.

Well actually considering that we have 3 semesters it makes sense to have that many apply for match. We may have 700ish per year. Ya so 100 have to reapply, that's an estimated 87.5% match rate. I mean, if we scale that down a bit to the size of an American med school then our match rate makes total sense.

Also, about your medicare comment. Seeing as we take out Stafford loans just like our AMG counterpart the pressure may be applied to the non-US FMG. The US-FMG's will always have an in because we are on the hook to uncle Sam the same way everyone else is!

RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week!
200_s.gif

I get it, the recurring theme amongst the majority of the people commenting here are about the competitive high value residency positions. Lets face it, if you want those positions coming in then you really need to consider an American med school. However, if you did your due diligence prior to deciding going to a caribbean program, then you shadowed into different specialties. I shadowed surgery (a bit too grotesque for me), podiatry (didn't like feet), derm (too boring), IM nephrologist (fun!). I enjoy co-mingling I guess haha! Either way, I know there are some who go to caribbean schools expecting gold on the other side, but that isn't me. It certainly isn't most of my colleagues. Most of them want to do primary care as well. We are in medicine to help people and follow our passion. We don't have to be Chief Cardiovascular Neonatal Trauma Surgeon (made that up to prove a point) to do that.

I feel bad for anesthesiology and radiology...just a few years ago they were some of the most competitive specialties that even the small and community programs were getting good US grads. Now it just sad to see how those programs had to settle for IMG. The medicine merry-go-round is really in full effect with these two specialties...

Reactions: 1 users
Well actually considering that we have 3 semesters it makes sense to have that many apply for match. We may have 700ish per year. Ya so 100 have to reapply, that's an estimated 87.5% match rate. I mean, if we scale that down a bit to the size of an American med school then our match rate makes total sense.

Also, about your medicare comment. Seeing as we take out Stafford loans just like our AMG counterpart the pressure may be applied to the non-US FMG. The US-FMG's will always have an in because we are on the hook to uncle Sam the same way everyone else is!

So you're saying 1080 start every year (all three semesters included) and 700 apply for the match 4 years later? The math doesn't add up. You said that out of the 360 that started in you're semester, you're already down to 200. So, at best, 600 people will graduate at the end (which is unlikely since nearly half were excluded in 2 semesters).

I think your posts would be better received if the theme was: Caribbean is a route that gives people a chance of becoming doctors in the U.S. No one can argue that the Caribbean, while a very risky endeavor, is NOT a dead end road for ALL students.

The reason these threads quickly turn bad is that there is a lot of exaggeration of how great the Caribbean route is (and in return an exaggerated negative response by some posters):

Examples from this short thread:

- Programs directors (I assume that's what you meant) will take an FMG "any day of the week" over an US grad if scores are better. This might be true at very few programs, but certainly not the rule. [RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week!]

- describing the match list as shattering. Reality: it is NOT impressive. Yes, it exemplifies that Caribbean grads *can* land a residency. You make it seem like it's a great route (it's not)

- stating an 87.5% match rate after describing 160/360 as the attrition rate after 2 semesters.

So you're saying 1080 start every year (all three semesters included) and 700 apply for the match 4 years later? The math doesn't add up. You said that out of the 360 that started in you're semester, you're already down to 200. So, at best, 600 people will graduate at the end (which is unlikely since nearly half were excluded in 2 semesters).

I think your posts would be better received if the theme was: Caribbean is a route that gives people a chance of becoming doctors in the U.S. No one can argue that the Caribbean, while a very risky endeavor, is NOT a dead end road for ALL students.

The reason these threads quickly turn bad is that there is a lot of exaggeration of how great the Caribbean route is (and in return an exaggerated negative response by some posters):

- Programs directors (I assume that's what you meant) will take an FMG "any day of the week" over an US grad if scores are better. This might be true at very few programs, but certainly not the rule. [RDs rather would take a FMG US citizen with a better score then an AMG any day of the week!]

- describing the match list as shattering. Reality: it is NOT impressive. Yes, it exemplifies that Caribbean grads *can* land a residency. You make it seem like it's a great route (it's not)

- stating an 87.5% match rate after describing 160/360 as the attrition rate after 2 semesters.

Not portraying the caribbean route as rainbows and unicorns by any stretch of the imagination. Living in a foreign place away from friends and family is tough as nails. My point is simply that you work hard and score well on your exams, you shouldn't having a problem getting a not-as competitive residency. I'm saying 230+. An upper semester friend of mine just matched neurology with a 238 step 1 coming out of Ross. I happen to know one of the derm girls who matched and she had a 260 on her step 1. I mean, to say that it isn't possible is offensive because I see otherwise. To address your point about attrition and what not, what exactly did you expect? They let anyone with a pulse into these schools. The classical theme goes like this in American MD schools, "You failed? Ok, try again. You failed again? Take some time off and try again later. You wanna quit? You sure? We can refer you to counseling." I happen to know this as fact (keep in mind I was pre-med too and know lots of AM students. Here it sounds like this, "You failed? Fail again and you're out." You get into an American med school it's like you already proved yourself, but when you get into Ross, you have to prove yourself at every step (literally and figuratively).

The classical theme goes like this in American MD schools, "You failed? Ok, try again. You failed again? Take some time off and try again later. You wanna quit? You sure? We can refer you to counseling."

No, not really. 2 failed blocks at my school and you're gone without a committee hearing. You can only appeal if there was a procedural error and it must be made directly to the Dean within 10 days.

Last edited:
No, not really. 2 failed blocks at my school and you're gone without a committee hearing.

Definitely not the case at 4 of my close friend's medical schools. They give several instances where a similar situation to the above scenario went down.

Not portraying the caribbean route as rainbows and unicorns by any stretch of the imagination. Living in a foreign place away from friends and family is tough as nails. My point is simply that you work hard and score well on your exams, you shouldn't having a problem getting a not-as competitive residency. I'm saying 230+. An upper semester friend of mine just matched neurology with a 238 step 1 coming out of Ross. I happen to know one of the derm girls who matched and she had a 260 on her step 1. I mean, to say that it isn't possible is offensive because I see otherwise. To address your point about attrition and what not, what exactly did you expect? They let anyone with a pulse into these schools. The classical theme goes like this in American MD schools, "You failed? Ok, try again. You failed again? Take some time off and try again later. You wanna quit? You sure? We can refer you to counseling." I happen to know this as fact (keep in mind I was pre-med too and know lots of AM students. Here it sounds like this, "You failed? Fail again and you're out." You get into an American med school it's like you already proved yourself, but when you get into Ross, you have to prove yourself at every step (literally and figuratively).

And this is a different tone that where this thread started. Definitely more realistic portray of how difficult the road is. No one can argue with what you describe above (except the part of US students having a ton of second chances; maybe 2-3 is more realistic).

Also, step 1 >230 (and especially over 260) is unrealistic for the average medical student. Just saying.

I know the Caribbean road is difficult. I'm sorry that we rain on your parade when you find data that gives you hope. That's not the objective. The goal is to make sure any lurking pre-med students trying to make an informed decision understand the full picture.

Reactions: 3 users
1 duke neurology and the mayo was a surgical prelim.

Really the most impressive thing were the 2 derm matches. There was a neurosurgery in there. Otherwise it is basically a who's who of undesirable programs and specialties. Not exactly shattering anything

The only match lists that I remember which consistently impress are harvard and penn

Not that I am disagreeing but most of the non AOA matches at DO schools tend to be at either the same places or similar places as the programs on that list. And DO is seen as a good option on these forums. I know there are other reasons to say DO>caribbean(I have listed them in this thread), but this specifically is also given as a reason for DO>caribbean.

And this is a different tone that where this thread started. Definitely more realistic portray of how difficult the road is. No one can argue with what you describe above (except the part of US students having a ton of second chances; maybe 2-3 is more realistic).

Also, step 1 >230 (and especially over 260) is unrealistic for the average medical student. Just saying.

I know the Caribbean road is difficult. I'm sorry that we rain on your parade when you find data that gives you hope. That's not the objective. The goal is to make sure any lurking pre-med students trying to make an informed decision understand the full picture.

A lurking pre-med should not use the caribbean route as a the "easy-route out." It was the only way I could follow my dream. I had a time constraint on me that was more or less something like, go to grad school or never go. That was definitely gonna happen if I didn't make the decision to go to Ross. It was by no means a first choice. I got wait-listed at 2 schools and ultimately denied everywhere else. I was a non-trad with mediocre stats. The only reason Ross supposedly accepted me is because my MCAT was fairly competitive. I had no means of doing a masters program because I was getting locked out of loan options. So, to the lurking pre-med, if you can, DO go to an American school.

EDIT: But if you do decide to come to Ross and are willing to work, you can and WILL get a residency. Your hard work will pay off. You just gotta want it more than our AMG counterparts ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I am disagreeing but most of the non AOA matches at DO schools tend to be at either the same places or similar places as the programs on that list. And DO is seen as a good option on these forums. I know there are other reasons to say DO>caribbean(I have listed them in this thread), but this specifically is also given as a reason for DO>caribbean.

theres a reason why match results are separated into us grads vs everyone else

theres a reason why match results are separated into us grads vs everyone else

Is it because they're cooler? I mean, lets B. cereus here... ;) Gotta throw in some humor with all this flak that I'm catching haha!

Dude you are delusional and like pain. Seeing that this is SDN, the bruising to your ego is coming soon. A list that is 95% crappy FM and IM programs isn't impressing anyone. Where are the other 360 people who started school with you?

I respect your opinion. Thanks, I'll just continue to look at the match stats we continue to shatter year after year. I appreciate your feedback.

Look dude, you can cheerlead all you want, but as a 10+ year SDNer, what I'm saying isn't snark. This is a rather crappy list even by Ross standards.

Their lists used to be peppered full of middle of the road academic IM programs... Loyolas, Waynes, Wight States, Toledos, even UICs. They just aren't there anymore, and this change has come about quite rapidly. We've been talking for years about the inevitable squeeze with increasing LCME/DO enrollments. Well... here it is. We're seeing it live.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude you are delusional and like pain. Seeing that this is SDN, the bruising to you ego is coming soon. A list that is 95% crappy FM and IM programs isn't impressing anyone. Where are the other 360 people who started school with you?

I don't like pain, nor does any opinion on this forum cause me to lose sleep. I am far from delusional. US schools produce similar if not WORSE match stats then what was produced above. What point are you trying to make that I hadn't already addressed earlier on in this thread while going back and forth with LazyMed? Right, you probably didn't read the exchange and judging by the grammar in your post, you likely don't like to read. However, call the list crappy all you want. You exemplify the AMG hot shot, you don't belong in my club attitude. I will post to this thread when I take my Step 1, Step 2 CK/CS and ultimately match into my first choice program so that you can see how hard work pays off. Sit on your pedestal all you want, a US IMG will knock you off soon enough. See you at the match in 2 years :)

Look dude, you can cheerlead all you want, but as a 10+ year SDNer, what I'm saying isn't snark. This is a rather crappy list even by Ross standards.

Their lists used to be peppered full of middle of the road academic IM programs... Loyolas, Waynes, Wight States, Toledos, even UICs. They just aren't there anymore, and this change has come about quite rapidly. We've been talking for years about the inevitable squeeze with increasing LCME/DO enrollments. Well... here it is. We're seeing it live.

I am not cheerleading. I posted the link to show that we can get residencies in competitive programs. You keep mentioning this whole academic program debacle, I am honestly not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things. If you could elaborate further that would be great, seeing as I am not a "+10 yr SDN'er"

I am not cheerleading. I posted the link to show that we can get residencies in competitive programs. You keep mentioning this whole academic program debacle, I am honestly not sure what that means in the grand scheme of things. If you could elaborate further that would be great, seeing as I am not a "+10 yr SDN'er"

I'm saying that these are not competitive programs. This list is oozing full of programs that LCME grads don't even bother with. The number of programs that ARE somewhat competitive has been declining every year for Ross.

I don't like pain, nor does any opinion on this forum cause me to lose sleep. I am far from delusional. US schools produce similar if not WORSE match stats then what was produced above. What point are you trying to make that I hadn't already addressed earlier on in this thread while going back and forth with LazyMed? Right, you probably didn't read the exchange and judging by the grammar in your post, you likely don't like to read. However, call the list crappy all you want. You exemplify the AMG hot shot, you don't belong in my club attitude. I will post to this thread when I take my Step 1, Step 2 CK/CS and ultimately match into my first choice program so that you can see how hard work pays off. Sit on your pedestal all you want, a US IMG will knock you off soon enough. See you at the match in 2 years :)

Wait you're an M2, you haven't even taken step 1 yet? Please GTFO, you'll be lucky to match anywhere if you even make it to that point. Please post to this thread in a couple years when you are 400k in debt with no options, or only a crappy prelim match with no option for advancement

I'm saying that these are not competitive programs. This list is oozing full of programs that LCME grads don't even bother with.

So back to my point, are you saying that I won't get a residency in internal medicine at an IMG-friendly hospital? That's MY ultimate plan. What another IMG wants is not my business (I don't hear much saying they want CT or Ortho surgery).

That 87.5% is most likely not their match rate, but rather their placement rate. They state it as an 88% attainment rate last year, which can be misleading.

Wait you're an M2, you haven't even taken step 1 yet? Please GTFO, you'll be lucky to match anywhere if you even make it to that point.

I am in my first semester of M2, listen your immaturity doesn't belong on this forum, this thread or in medicine if you're using "GTFO" still. I'm done with your close-minded disrespect.

Yes, we will ALL be waiting with bated breath to hear back that you matched in FM, IM, or *GASP* had to reapply...any of which is likely given that match list. Not being negative, simply stating what that list tells us.

You are getting pushback because you are blowing smoke up everyone's a** when you tell them how awesome Ross's match list is or how Ross is preparing you to *undermine* us. Neither are true.

Great, you say you worked hard (even though you haven't even taken Step 1 yet) but your story exemplifies how the average Ross student can expect to either be kicked out, not match, or only match FM or IM if lucky. You said yourself that 45% of students have been kicked out before the end of first year. That is awful.

I am in my first semester of M2, listen your immaturity doesn't belong on this forum, this thread or in medicine if you're using "GTFO" still. I'm done with your close-minded disrespect.

It's important to note that no doors are ever truly closed, but certain routes will make doors much easier to get through. I'm at an IMG friendly university, and the Caribbean grads uniformally admit that they would not have gone the IMG route if they understood what it meant when they applied. Some of them did it with little information, and they said that they would not recommend it to anyone. I'm not saying that you can't match into your dream residency, but it is wrong to think that it is just as attainable. The board score is only a small factor. We had people not match from my upper-middle tier US MD program with really strong board scores. Often they were being beat out by people from top 10 schools with much weaker board scores. The reality is that school reputation does play more of a factor than we care to admit. Yes, that means you have to work harder from a Carribean school just as you have to work harder than a top 10 grad if you are at a mid tier US MD school. There is no shame in admitting that. Just work harder, and don't post inflammatory remarks expecting validation. The people here are obviously going to react. You are better off spending your time memorizing pathways, so that you can prove us wrong.

You state that you're far from delusional, yet demonstrate how delusional you actually are in the very next sentence.

Interesting.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, we will ALL be waiting with bated breath to hear back that you matched in FM, IM, or *GASP* had to reapply...any of which is likely given that match list. Not being negative, simply stating what that list tells us.

You are getting pushback because you are blowing smoke up everyone's a** when you tell them how awesome Ross's match list is or how Ross is preparing you to *undermine* us. Neither are true.

Great, you say you worked hard (even though you haven't even taken Step 1 yet) but your story exemplifies how the average Ross student can expect to either be kicked out, not match, or only match FM or IM if lucky. You said yourself that 45% of students have been kicked out before the end of first year. That is awful.

This is my biggest problem with the caribbean schools. There are other international schools that teach US style, out there with similar(or arguably better) residency placement without the attrition rates. And from some of the blogs I follow, it doesnt seem like it is just the low quality of some of the students as they raise the requirements for passing every year at some of these caribbean schools.

When the average Step score is 250 in 2040, 230 won't be unrealistic for the average medical student.

We had people not match from my upper-middle tier US MD program with really strong board scores. Often they were being beat out by people from top 10 schools with much weaker board scores. The reality is that school reputation does play more of a factor than we care to admit.

Interesting

I mean, lets B. cereus here... ;) Gotta throw in some humor with all this flak that I'm catching haha!

Based on your sense of humor, you're either 4 years old or bipolar going through a manic episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.