Ross University School of Medicine MATCH 2016 Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a recent trend of people posting here who are hypersensitive to anyone questioning their opinion and also coming across as a SJW...

I mean I get the difference in opinion thats why we have this forum. To discuss (professionally), our differing opinions without putting people down. I mean its truly a testament to your merit as a person. One would argue, "oh its an anonymous forum, who cares what I say," and I would say that we can't be portrayed as people that make jokes about mentally challenged when those are the very patients that we swore to treat and protect. This demonstrates a level of hypocrisy and un-professionalism that is unbecoming of a physician (in my opinion). I understand it was a joke, but its a terrible joke.

Members don't see this ad.

You're a moderator and you actually approve of that type of political incorrectness? Lol interesting...
I didn't make that off-color post, nor have I been a moderator for years. But as suggested above, you really need a thicker skin if you are going to post potentially-inflammatory threads about the virtues of offshore education, and react badly when anyone disagrees.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're a moderator and you actually approve of that type of political incorrectness? Lol interesting...

ImageUploadedBySDN1458864845.513029.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
You get yourself a mentor or two in your desired field. It's all word of mouth.

This. My mentor was invaluable in developing a list. He suggested programs that had an excellent reputation in the field that weren't big names or affiliated with top med schools. Programs I didn't even expect. And on the other hand, some programs affiliated with "top 20" med schools that did not have good reps. Another reason why pre-meds and even med students trying to analyze match lists is an exercise in futility.

Reactions: 4 users
This. My mentor was invaluable in developing a list. He suggested programs that had an excellent reputation in the field that weren't big names or affiliated with top med schools. Programs I didn't even expect. And on the other hand, some programs affiliated with "top 20" med schools that did not have good reps. Another reason why pre-meds and even med students trying to analyze match lists is an exercise in futility.

What about those who go to medical schools without a home department in a desired specialty? How would they go about choosing a mentor?

What about those who go to medical schools without a home department in a desired specialty? How would they go about choosing a mentor?
Away rotations. Maybe via networking, going to national meetings. But yeah, it's a lot harder. But with no exposure to a specialty, how do you even know you'll like it?

The main difference between you and the other posters is that the other posters have foregone the veiled personal attacks and were blunt.

Physicians aren't paragons of virtue. They're not special snowflakes. They're humans, with all the quirks and personality issues they had before they went into the profession. They're subjected to stresses that, frankly, you (and I) don't yet understand. If you think you're offended by some random SDN posters, you may want to rethink your career choices before you hit the wards full time.

As to Island's question: Conferences were pretty helpful, especially regional ones. Got a couple of interviews this past cycle that way; and it doesn't hurt to have a familiar face when you start interviewing.

I didn't make that off-color post, nor have I been a moderator for years. But as suggested above, you really need a thicker skin if you are going to post potentially-inflammatory threads about the virtues of offshore education, and react badly when anyone disagrees.

Ohhhh I get it now. See I'm new to this whole regular forum posting thing. Now I know I can disrespect and berate members at will when I disagree with them. Thanks for clarifying. Also, I actually have thick skin. I just don't know any of you so I'm trying to maintain professional courtesy. I just find it funny how you all rally around the moderators and all that they say without having an iota of individualism. You all are pretty interesting people. Between people telling me to drop out, people telling me to rethink my path and others saying my degree is worthless you'd think I was back in grade school again. But then again, I'm the guy who's standing up for myself and isn't foregoing to the pressure of the masses. You all could learn a thing or two from a guy like me. Never once did I deviate away from my point and I dissented each point to the best of my abilities.

But thanks again "moderator emeritus" for clarifying how I should conduct myself on this forum. I will be sure to rethink my method of interaction on here! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ohhhh I get it now. See I'm new to this whole regular forum posting thing. Now I know I can disrespect and berate members at will when I disagree with them. Thanks for clarifying. Also, I actually have thick skin. I just don't know any of you so I'm trying to maintain professional courtesy. I just find it funny how you all rally around the moderators and all that they say without having an iota of individualism. You all are pretty interesting people. Between people telling me to drop out, people telling me to rethink my path and others saying my degree is worthless you'd think I was back in grade school again. But then again, I'm the guy who's standing up for myself and isn't foregoing to the pressure of the masses. You all could learn a thing or two from a guy like me. Never once did I deviate away from my point and I dissented each point to the best of my abilities.

But thanks again "moderator emeritus" for clarifying how I should conduct myself on this forum. I will be sure to rethink my method of interaction on here! :)

Is this is what you were looking for http://www.valuemd.com

Good lord...

:rolleyes:

Is this is what you were looking for http://www.valuemd.com

The quoted post below from that website reads like a horror story (She's talking about American University of Integrative Sciences in Saint Maarten):

"I'm curious to see whether anyone matched this year from our school. This forum is dead and nobody from the school talks on the myauis forum either, so wanted to know whether we matched anyone this year?

For me I didn't match. I'm really upset and don't know what to do. I was really upset at the school for waiting for the end of the first week to upload my transcripts when i first tried to apply. Then I was upset at SW the clinical dean for telling me don't worry about the transcripts not being uploaded because programs don't make decisions on giving students interviews before October 1. Those were his exact words. When they sent me my MSPE to edit they sent me an MSPE draft that wasn't even mine. I'm a female and it was someone else's name (a guy) with a different AAMC number and they kept referring to me as "he." What was crazy is that they had mixed up some of my information with that of his because it didn't describe me. I basically re wrote the whole thing and sent it back to the school, but I never saw the finished copy before they uploaded the draft.

Also, it was very difficult to get anyone to respond to my emails when I emailed the clinical dean or department. I get sick of people saying well the department is busy and no one is there to answer calls or please be patient. NO. If that's the case hire another person, hire people that are more competent. Has anyone called the clinical dept? The lady sounds like she's asleep everytime you call. SW is not capable of handling this job and no one knows what his background is. Every student who has applied for residency knows you can get interviews on your first day. Many of my friends received interviews in their first week of applying. How can a dean of clinical science tell you don't worry about your transcripts not being uploaded before Oct 1 because programs dont make decisions on your application before then. Are they really this blind I mean no one with any amount of knowledge about residency apps would say something like that. My transcript wasn't uploaded until 1 week after residency applications went out. How do I know that programs didn't just skip over my app for someone else? Unbelievable. I'm still upset about this.

Just wondering, did anyone from the school match this year and how was your experience dealing with the school?"

EDIT: This school is near the bottom of the barrel in regards to Caribbean schools. Why would someone ever go here?!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The quoted post below from that website reads like a horror story (She's talking about American University of Integrative Sciences in Saint Maarten):

"I'm curious to see whether anyone matched this year from our school. This forum is dead and nobody from the school talks on the myauis forum either, so wanted to know whether we matched anyone this year?

For me I didn't match. I'm really upset and don't know what to do. I was really upset at the school for waiting for the end of the first week to upload my transcripts when i first tried to apply. Then I was upset at SW the clinical dean for telling me don't worry about the transcripts not being uploaded because programs don't make decisions on giving students interviews before October 1. Those were his exact words. When they sent me my MSPE to edit they sent me an MSPE draft that wasn't even mine. I'm a female and it was someone else's name (a guy) with a different AAMC number and they kept referring to me as "he." What was crazy is that they had mixed up some of my information with that of his because it didn't describe me. I basically re wrote the whole thing and sent it back to the school, but I never saw the finished copy before they uploaded the draft.

Also, it was very difficult to get anyone to respond to my emails when I emailed the clinical dean or department. I get sick of people saying well the department is busy and no one is there to answer calls or please be patient. NO. If that's the case hire another person, hire people that are more competent. Has anyone called the clinical dept? The lady sounds like she's asleep everytime you call. SW is not capable of handling this job and no one knows what his background is. Every student who has applied for residency knows you can get interviews on your first day. Many of my friends received interviews in their first week of applying. How can a dean of clinical science tell you don't worry about your transcripts not being uploaded before Oct 1 because programs dont make decisions on your application before then. Are they really this blind I mean no one with any amount of knowledge about residency apps would say something like that. My transcript wasn't uploaded until 1 week after residency applications went out. How do I know that programs didn't just skip over my app for someone else? Unbelievable. I'm still upset about this.

Just wondering, did anyone from the school match this year and how was your experience dealing with the school?"

TL;DR
I get it man. You think my school is not going to allow me to match. Your point has been received. Goodnight.

Members don't see this ad :)
TL;DR
I get it man. You think my school is not going to allow me to match. Your point has been received. Goodnight.

?? That link from the forum has nothing to do with you or Ross. I just thought it was so crazy to read that I would put it here for people to see.

I'm near that part of the country so I hear all the time about Caribbean grads. Like my earlier posts, I think Carib grads can definitely match but it's the chest puffing you're doing which is a little exorbitant. People need to be realistic...especially when considering going outside of the US for what should be US-based training. That's all.

Honestly wouldn't going for an NP or PA degree be both easier & smarter than going Carib? Not trying to troll just wonder if people who make the plunge are thinking clearly.

?? That link from the forum has nothing to do with you or Ross. I just thought it was so crazy to read that I would put it here for people to see.

I'm near that part of the country so I hear all the time about Caribbean grads. Like my earlier posts, I think Carib grads can definitely match but it's the chest puffing you're doing which is a little exorbitant. People need to be realistic...especially when considering going outside of the US for what should be US-based training. That's all.

Ok fair enough. My original point was just to separate out my school from the randos... I was told today by a fellow student that we had a 88% 1st time match rate this year. However, the validity of that I'm not too sure at this point. That's a solid number with all things considered. We know we are looked down upon by some programs but I hear the consistent advice from everyone and that is to rock my steps. I have no choice or wiggle room. It needs to be done. Thank you for not insulting me throughout this back and forth. You and a few others maintained professionalism and I appreciate that.

Honestly wouldn't going for an NP or PA degree be both easier & smarter than going Carib? Not trying to troll just wonder if people who make the plunge are thinking clearly.

Didn't wanna be a nurse and PA is more competitive to get into than MD schools in certain cases. Like I said earlier MCAT wasn't really the issue it was my GPA.

Ohhhh I get it now. See I'm new to this whole regular forum posting thing. Now I know I can disrespect and berate members at will when I disagree with them. Thanks for clarifying...
I didn't say anything close to this and you clearly don't get it. I'm not sure how I'm the target of your ire either, but whatever.

I didn't say anything close to this and you clearly don't get it. I'm not sure how I'm the target of your ire either, but whatever.

Well I saw moderator and assumed that you were moderating the thread allowing the masses to insult, use profanity and insensitive jokes to the mentally disabled. I mean idk I'm just saying its in poor taste. Then again most people commenting are not that mature regardless. As far as people saying I'm getting butt hurt and what not, no I'm just stating the obvious as all of you say you are doing.

Well I saw moderator and assumed that you were moderating the thread allowing the masses to insult, use profanity and insensitive jokes to the mentally disabled. I mean idk I'm just saying its in poor taste. Then again most people commenting are not that mature regardless. As far as people saying I'm getting butt hurt and what not, no I'm just stating the obvious as all of you say you are doing.

His title state "Moderator Emeritus," meaning he is a retired moderator. Just like a professor emeritus means the professor is retired.

His title state "Moderator Emeritus," meaning he is a retired moderator. Just like a professor emeritus means the professor is retired.

Ok well I'm new to this so I had no idea a moderator could retire. Thanks for clarifying that tho. I apologize Law2Doc

Between people telling me to drop out, people telling me to rethink my path and others saying my degree is worthless you'd think I was back in grade school again. But then again, I'm the guy who's standing up for myself and isn't foregoing to the pressure of the masses. You all could learn a thing or two from a guy like me. Never once did I deviate away from my point and I dissented each point to the best of my abilities.

People will learn a lot from you, about 3 years from this moment actually, when you start a thread called "advice for IMG who didnt match".

The two major reasons that people dont match 1) they arent competitive applicants and 2) they overestimate their competitiveness.

You meet both criteria based on your posts.

Last edited:
People will learn a lot from you, about 3 years from this moment actually, when you start a thread called "advice for IMG who didnt match".

The two major reasons that people dont match is 1) they arent competitive applicants and 2) they overestimate their competitiveness.

You meet both criteria based on your posts.

Care to wager on that? Just cause you say something doesn't make it true. My drive will ensure I not only match but I'll match a program that is not IMG friendly. You have no clue who I am or what I have done or who I may know. Yet, you make the generalizations of a veteran troll!

Care to wager on that? Just cause you say something doesn't make it true. My drive will ensure I not only match but I'll match a program that is not IMG friendly. You have no clue who I am or what I have done or who I may know. Yet, you make the generalizations of a veteran troll!

...and what if you don't meet all of those expectations? I hope you do; but there were AMG's (MD and DO) who got burned this year in the Match because they didn't have solid contingencies. Your second sentence suggests that you're at risk of an over-reach regarding what you can accomplish coming given your (as yet unknown) board scores and academic pedigree (whether or not you believe it, there is a bias against Caribbean students in some programs). Ideally, you 1) match; 2) match into a specialty you want; and 3) match in an area you want to be in. If you can't deal with just getting the first of those three, you may need to ask some hard questions of yourself regarding your goals and motivations.

Bottom line: Don't hose yourself trying to prove a point. Be flexible, have contingencies, and don't burn your bridges.

...and what if you don't meet all of those expectations? I hope you do; but there were AMG's (MD and DO) who got burned this year in the Match because they didn't have solid contingencies. Your second sentence suggests that you're at risk of an over-reach regarding what you can accomplish coming given your (as yet unknown) board scores and academic pedigree (whether or not you believe it, there is a bias against Caribbean students in some programs). Ideally, you 1) match; 2) match into a specialty you want; and 3) match in an area you want to be in. If you can't deal with just getting the first of those three, you may need to ask some hard questions of yourself regarding your goals and motivations.

Bottom line: Don't hose yourself trying to prove a point. Be flexible, have contingencies, and don't burn your bridges.

I agree. I maintained all of my research connections and I am actually close friends with the physician who I published a paper with. He is actually a big part of why I made this decision to come here (obviously not the entire reason). He's a urologist and you should hear the stuff he says to me. He asked me to attempt to match urology even tho I was coming from Ross. It's interesting because since then he's been named chair of urology. Looks promising...

Wouldn't that be funny... In 2 years, I come back here and I say how I matched urology. How mad would everyone on this thread be? Seriously tho.

I agree. I maintained all of my research connections and I am actually close friends with the physician who I published a paper with. He is actually a big part of why I made this decision to come here (obviously not the entire reason). He's a urologist and you should hear the stuff he says to me. He asked me to attempt to match urology even tho I was coming from Ross. It's interesting because since then he's been named chair of urology. Looks promising...

I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here, is it yourself? Students who come from the Caribbean will always be viewed as students incapable of US MD admission who took an expensive gamble and are more than likely inferior clinicians. There is nothing you can do to try and convince people otherwise besides keep your head down and grind and prove people wrong about yourself.

Among your peers, we know what Ross is. You can't convince us Ross is a school worthy of admiration, you can convince your friends you went to highschool with, but not those of us who had to work to get the stats needed to get a U.S. MD admission, while you and your fellow classmates did not and yet get to call yourself MD's alongside us.

I am derailing this thread to ask an important question

Is that a bad idea to also apply to some preliminary surgery programs if one wants to improve his/her chances to match?

The match is getting extremely competitive every year and I am afraid that I won't match into psych because I have been a below average student... I am attending a low tier US MD school and I have not taken step1 yet... I have not red flags so far...

I am really starting to believe that I made a bad decision by attending a bottom MD school instead of a DO school ( I was also accepted to DO) ... I was told I would have had no issues matching into AOA psych since no one wants these spots.

I'm not sure who you're trying to convince here, is it yourself? Students who come from the Caribbean will always be viewed as students incapable of US MD admission who took an expensive gamble and are more than likely inferior clinicians. There is nothing you can do to try and convince people otherwise besides keep your head down and grind and prove people wrong about yourself.

Among your peers, we know what Ross is. You can't convince us Ross is a school worthy of admiration, you can convince your friends you went to highschool with, but not those of us who had to work to get the stats needed to get a U.S. MD admission, while you and your fellow classmates did not and yet get to call yourself MD's alongside us.

But are you mad tho...

I am derailing this thread to ask an important question

Is that a bad idea to also apply to some preliminary surgery programs if one wants to improve his/her chances to match?

The match is getting extremely competitive every year and I am afraid that I won't match into psych because I have been a below average student... I am attending a low tier US MD school and I have not taken step1 yet... I have not red flags so far...

I am really starting to believe that I made a bad decision by attending a bottom MD school instead of a DO school ( I was also accepted to DO) ... I was told I would have had no issues matching into AOA psych since no one wants these spots.

Why are you even worried man lmao? You haven't even taken step 1 yet... Don't shot yourself in the foot just yet.

I am convinced I have been trolled. There's no way you are a real person. You're just messing with us.

But are you mad tho...

Not mad, just telling you how it is. You're the one whose on an internet forum posting inflated, likely fabricated stats to try and garner some sort of respect for your school?

Insecure much? Like I've been trying to tell you, just drop it and do you. US MD's aren't going to all of a sudden say, "you know what, the fact that anyone with a pulse and a wallet can get a medical education from the Caribbean is great for the American healthcare system". Sure there are outliers that probably could have done the US route, but outliers are outliers and you can just hope you are one.

Goodluck to you.

Not mad, just telling you how it is. You're the one whose on an internet forum posting inflated, likely fabricated stats to try and garner some sort of respect for your school?

Insecure much? Like I've been trying to tell you, just drop it and do you. US MD's aren't going to all of a sudden say, "you know what, the fact that anyone with a pulse and a wallet can get a medical education from the Caribbean is great for the American healthcare system". Sure there are outliers that probably could have done the US route, but outliers are outliers and you can just hope you are one.

Goodluck to you.

It's been real

I mean I get the difference in opinion thats why we have this forum. To discuss (professionally), our differing opinions without putting people down. I mean its truly a testament to your merit as a person. One would argue, "oh its an anonymous forum, who cares what I say," and I would say that we can't be portrayed as people that make jokes about mentally challenged when those are the very patients that we swore to treat and protect. This demonstrates a level of hypocrisy and un-professionalism that is unbecoming of a physician (in my opinion). I understand it was a joke, but its a terrible joke.
Get off your high horse and holier than thou pedestal. Just cause one guy makes a questionably offensive joke doesn't mean he will be a bad physician incapable of good moral behavior. It doesn't mean he is unprofessional and treats patients poorly.

Get off your high horse and holier than thou pedestal. Just cause one guy makes a questionably offensive joke doesn't mean he will be a bad physician incapable of good moral behavior. It doesn't mean he is unprofessional and treats patients poorly.

And Caribbean doesn't equal bad doctor... You sit here and make generalizations and then throw a hissy fit when I do? Please, spare me.

Look at my post history in this thread, I never said that but okay.

Ok maybe you didn't... My bad.

Edit: everyone was sort of ganging up on me so I just assumed everyone said that at one point or another haha!

Last edited by a moderator:
If that was my school's match list I would definitely regret attending that school. Not impressed even slightly.

the ONLY people who succeed in beating the odds are the ones who recognize their situation and address it early. You are delusional.

Being delusional is a recipe for failure.
I really wish you good luck, but if you legitimately think that things are getting better for IMGs, you should drop out today and minimize your debt.

Common misconception. Those fields are competitive(at least PA is), not dumping grounds. PA programs require tons of legit clinical hours and good grades.

Common misconception. Those fields are competitive(at least PA is), not dumping grounds. PA programs require tons of legit clinical hours and good grades.

I've never seen anyone who wanted to be an np not get a spot. You can do an online course for the degree

the ONLY people who succeed in beating the odds are the ones who recognize their situation and address it early. You are delusional.

Being delusional is a recipe for failure.
I really wish you good luck, but if you legitimately think that things are getting better for IMGs, you should drop out today and minimize your debt.

Definitely never said its getting better for IMGs... The whole purpose of this thread was to explain how Ross is different...

I've never seen anyone who wanted to be an np not get a spot. You can do an online course for the degree

Yea I was talking more about PA. When I was doing my post-bac(for career changers) most of the top students I knew were all aiming for PA. Obviously probably influenced by the fact we were all a bit older but I still think most PA programs are competitive from what I have seen.

Wouldn't that be funny... In 2 years, I come back here and I say how I matched urology. How mad would everyone on this thread be? Seriously tho.

You already appear to have your head in yours why not finger a couple of new ones while you're at it I suppose

When almost every friend of mine and acquaintance who has attended the Caribbean (schools including SGU, Ross, SABA, etc.) and made it back to the states to practice tells me NOT to go to the Caribbean and that they should have spent another year improving their app or going to a DO program...
that's saying something.

Like I've said before and will keep saying... if ALL you want is IM, FM, psych, and maybe peds, IN A LOCATION THAT IS NOT YOUR TOP CHOICE... and want to work ten times harder to get such specialties that are not normally competitive... then Carib is STILL an ok option.

However, you cannot tell me that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get into a US school, atleast for DO.

DO offers grade replacement so that you could theoretically redo every class of yours and reapply with a 4.0 if you want to. Add a DO lor and shadowing and your chances of atleast getting an interview go WAY UP (of course if you have MCAT and other stuff up to par as well).

These are actual real interviews too btw.... not the sketchy skype and starbucks or basement type **** that Caribbean programs do with dudes with Tommy Bahama shirts on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.