RVU UT vs Touro NV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lovelygreenhue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was fortunate enough to get a few acceptances this cycle and so far have narrowed down to these two. I'm a California resident and would love to come back after med school for residencies etc. As for the type of residencies, I have a few in mind but very unsure at the moment.

RVU-UT
Pros:
-Great boards
-great residency matches in specialties other than FM
-curriculum is great
-ultrasound is a big thing/sim lab as well

Cons:
-location: kind of in the middle of no where. Personally I'm fine, but SO will have a much harder time finding a job (he's a computer programmer)
-kind of difficult to get to/from california
-campus doesn't have a cafeteria/food options
-finding off campus housing will be quite difficult

Touro-NV
Pros:
-location is great, SO can probably find a job straight away, more things to do, etc.
-a little bit easier to get to and from California
-new dean seems interested on broadening their residency matches
-lots of residency matches in CA, but mostly in FM

Cons:
-they started systems based curriculum only a couple of years ago so effect on board exams are still unknown
-board exams, historically aren't all that great
-Focuses on FM residencies
-Building is a big warehouse, so kind of bummed there's no sunlight or windows.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you have stated, I would vote for RVU-UT! It also depends where you would be the most comfortable as a student as well.

Thank-you! Is there a particular reason, aside from what I wrote? I keep searching and people keep saying Touro isn't very good.

St. George is actually a pretty neat city. There is lots to do, and it's not as "middle-of-nowhere" as you might think. The national parks just down the road are incredible. And Vegas is only 1.5-2 hours away if you need a quick getaway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same position also! I am from southern california and got into both schools and have been having the hardest time deciding between the two. I feel like day to day lifestyle will be easier at Touro but RVU is a better school.

Im in the same position also! I am from southern california and got into both schools and have been having the hardest time deciding between the two. I feel like day to day lifestyle will be easier at Touro but RVU is a better school.
EXACTLY! day to day life would be sooo much easier at Touro, but RVU just has a better curriculum. I talked it over and over with a bunch of people, DOs I know, my SO, my sister etc. and I think I'm gonna go with RVU.

Have you had any luck deciding?

St. George is actually a pretty neat city. There is lots to do, and it's not as "middle-of-nowhere" as you might think. The national parks just down the road are incredible. And Vegas is only 1.5-2 hours away if you need a quick getaway.

I did like St. George when I visited, but it felt like a tiny town. I'm just glad there's a Costco there! And yes the national parks, even the state parks are really nice. Overall I think it's a much more relaxed environment than Vegas. Are you going to RVU?

I cant imagine how depressing it would be to do medical school in a warehouse. Not good for moral IMO. This may seem harsh, but I would be embarrassed to bring my family to school if it were at Touro Nevada. Just saying. Great students, good match results, embarrassing institution.

I did like St. George when I visited, but it felt like a tiny town. I'm just glad there's a Costco there! And yes the national parks, even the state parks are really nice. Overall I think it's a much more relaxed environment than Vegas. Are you going to RVU?

No, I'm not--I'll be headed back to Texas. But I did my undergrad in Utah and have been down to Southern Utah a few times for road trips. I hope you love your experience wherever you go!

Hello! I was fortunate enough to get a few acceptances this cycle and so far have narrowed down to these two. I'm a California resident and would love to come back after med school for residencies etc. As for the type of residencies, I have a few in mind but very unsure at the moment.

RVU-UT
Pros:
-Great boards
-great residency matches in specialties other than FM
-curriculum is great
-ultrasound is a big thing/sim lab as well

Cons:
-location: kind of in the middle of no where. Personally I'm fine, but SO will have a much harder time finding a job (he's a computer programmer)
-kind of difficult to get to/from california
-campus doesn't have a cafeteria/food options
-finding off campus housing will be quite difficult

Touro-NV
Pros:
-location is great, SO can probably find a job straight away, more things to do, etc.
-a little bit easier to get to and from California
-new dean seems interested on broadening their residency matches
-lots of residency matches in CA, but mostly in FM

Cons:
-they started systems based curriculum only a couple of years ago so effect on board exams are still unknown
-board exams, historically aren't all that great
-Focuses on FM residencies
-Building is a big warehouse, so kind of bummed there's no sunlight or windows.
Hey! I was wondering what you ended up deciding and if you’re happy with your choice?
I’m debating the same two schools right now. I’m also a CA native (but moved to Ohio for my masters) and have a similar pro/con list that you created down to worrying about my SO finding a job