RVUCOM-CO vs Touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpugtato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Last thread I saw about this was back in 2014 so I would really appreciate any updated feedback !

Some background info: from the bay area and would like to be in CA eventually. very pro non-didactic teaching methods (eg. TBL, flipped classroom, etc.) interested in EM.

RVUCOM
  • Pros:
    • students and faculty seemed very welcoming. I liked that the students kept coming into the interview area and stealing brownies. They were very friendly and open to answering questions. Also, shout out to George, the best pre-interview hype man in any school.
    • integrative curriculum produces killer board scores
    • ultrasound education well developed and works with CU, Ultrafest was there a few years ago
    • Denver area seems fun
  • Cons
    • Denver area seems expensive
    • no combined degree options
    • research opportunities seemed limited (although it is a new school, so I'm hoping that grows...)

Touro-CA
  • Pros
    • From the area = free housing / food + support system
    • From the area = the crime rate doesn't really bother me
    • Very mission based, faculty and students really pushed this
    • more established? more students match in CA (but that may be a preference more than anything else)
    • lots of research opportunities
    • DO / MPH option
  • Cons
    • seems like US education is still being developed
    • board scores lower and general feedback online and during interview is that students want more time to study for them
Both have lottery style for third year rotations and I'm not too sure about the quality of the sites so if anyone has any experiences with either school I'd love to hear it!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.