Say you don't get in...are new LORs needed the next time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't get in, are new LORs needed the following year during the reapplication process?

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't get in, are new LORs needed the following year during the reapplication process?

If they're the reason you didn't get in the first time, probably. Otherwise, I doubt it.

they're not required, but it can't hurt to get new recs from people you have interacted with since you last submitted your amcas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't there a rule where they can't be older than a year? For some reason, I remembering reading this.

Im not entirely sure about getting entirely new letters of recommendations only after one year, given that many LORs are committee ones, and thus, wouldn't really be feasible to have it rewritten anew. There probably is some cutoff age, but this is probably school specific. In addition, a new letter of rec (with grades) is required if you have since applying, matriculated into grad school. Doing anything new that may have some sort of significant impact almost in its own right, may warrant a new letter to be added onto the old ones.

If they're the reason you didn't get in the first time, probably. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Do you think schools would tell you that you didn't get in because of your LORs if you call and ask why you weren't accepted to that particular school this application cycle? I realize you shouldn't use the LOR unless you are absolutely sure that it is a good one, so nevermind commenting about that. I'm just curious if the schools would let you know. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on this?

In my experience, they have asked for fresh letters the next year even if they are just carbon copies of the previous year's letters.

I know at a lot of schools they actually can pull up your file from the previous year. I remember some saying that if you are reapplicant, resubmitting LORs is not necessary. I am not a reapplicant so I do not know what schools do this, but I've heard of instances of it happening.

I would say it would be worthwhile to add at least a LOR from a recent involvement too just to make sure you show continued pursuit in medicine. I dunno, just my 0.02.

I highly recommend it. I actually had some clinicians write me LORs. I don't think there is a need to get different professors.

Get some from the clinicians.

I highly recommend it. I actually had some clinicians write me LORs. I don't think there is a need to get different professors.

Get some from the clinicians.

During a reapp year you should not submit the exact same letter package as follows:
- Committee letter: Usually committees will not rewrite this letter, but the will send that letter with an added cover letter updating what they know if there is additional information. If we get the same committee letter we would ask you to augment this letter with an additional one or two faculty letters which are sent separately and directly to the med program.
- No committee letter: We prefer that you switch out a faculty and character/peer letter with new letters.
- Our committee always prefers and updated package with letters that show you have still be active.

I just talked with my pre-med advisor about potentially reapplying next year in the event that I don't get in this year. He said that the same LORs would be fine. I was thinking of submitting an extra one from the volunteer place I recently started at, but he seemed to think it was ok.

Granted, I get a committee letter from them, so it may not matter much...

Some schools require at least one new or updated letter. I had my professors write new ones when I reapplied and all of them were happy to do so. It never hurts to ask.