Schools that consider LGBTQ+ applicants URMs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happymadness

MD student or whutevuh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

DELETED

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I guess my first and foremost advice would be to fully expect/prepare for long distance as the probability of you ending up at the same school isn't very high. There's honestly a chance that you both won't get in, though at face value you both seem to have a pretty solid chance.

Schools probably aren't going to pull one of you off a waitlist because your partner is accepted (maybe marriage would make this more likely but I still don't know), but it isn't going to hurt you. I'd just focus on applying to similar schools mostly as individuals and hoping that you both land interviews and acceptances. Then you can worry about going to the same school. I think ~40% of applicants are accepted into an allo school and most of those individuals only get one acceptance. Long distance is a very real possibility, my friend.

Hi all,

After working on my secondaries, I came across Penn's question asking about special circumstances (e.g. applying as a couple). I began reading through a few threads across SDN since I'm applying to med school with my partner. It seems there are two routes we can take since we obviously want to end up together:

(1) Mention it to our mutual schools in our secondaries to explain that proximity to our partner is a considering factor
(2) Hold off on mentioning anything about our relationship until one of us gets an acceptance somewhere and then email the dean to tell them about how our relationship is a considering factor for matriculation

We were originally planning on going with option 2, but with the changes that the AAMC made regarding the multiple acceptance report, we are not sure whether option 1 would play better for us.

To give you all some perspective, I met my mans when we were in undergrad together and have been dating him for ~3 years. We are both Hispanic (he's Dominican, I'm Colombian) cis gay men from the South (me) and Southwest (him). We both discuss our orientation on our primaries since we've worked with LGBTQ+ patients in undergrad. Note: he's way smarter than me, having graduated with a 3.8+ at an Ivy with a 517 MCAT. I have a similar MCAT with a 515 but only a ~3.5 GPA. Thus, our school lists differ such that he's applying to top tier schools in cities where I'll be applying to the lower tier schools (e.g. Harvard vs. Tufts, UCLA vs. USC).

We have decided to research which schools explicitly consider LGBTQ+ as URM to pursue option 1 for them. We will pursue option 2 for all the rest. If anyone has any ideas about which schools would love a cute gay Latino couple, please let us know! @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn – I would appreciate advice from wise ones.

You are already URM because you're both Hispanic.

IMHO it is most compelling to bring up relationships like this during the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are already URM because you're both Hispanic.

IMHO it is most compelling to bring up relationships like this during the interview.
In my region, South Americans are not considered UiM. The Dominican applicant might be UiM at some schools.
Language skills and diversity of experience are always valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
In my region, South Americans are not considered UiM. The Dominican applicant might be at schools that consider Central Americans UiM.
Some schools are more liberal in their definition of UiM with regard to Hispanic applicants. Some schools are also enthusiastic about admitting LGBT appliants. (well, maybe not "T" as we recall the difficult experiences of a certain three-time applicant, but I digress). I strongly suspect that the OP and his partner may have good luck in Boston, NY, Philly, DC, Chicago, LA, St. Louis, you might even consider Yale and Netter which are <15 miles apart. I'm rooting for you to succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
Some schools are more liberal in their definition of UiM with regard to Hispanic applicants. Some schools are also enthusiastic about admitting LGBT appliants. (well, maybe not "T" as we recall the difficult experiences of a certain three-time applicant, but I digress). I strongly suspect that the OP and his partner may have good luck in Boston, NY, Philly, DC, Chicago, LA, St. Louis, you might even consider Yale and Netter which are <15 miles apart. I'm rooting for you to succeed.
I agree with my learned colleague. Dartmouth and Einstein are two schools that I know of that consider a number of Hispanics as URM.
Your partner is fine for pretty much any MD school. Start list with WashU and radiate outwards. I don't have a list of schools that consider LGBT as URM, but I know SDNers with stats lower than yours that had luck with U Chicago and JHU.

Two schools to avoid are LUCOM and Loma Linda!

I also agree with your option 2