This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fistfuls_of_greens

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of deciding which post-baccalaureate program to accept at.

I have an offer at UMich MEDPREP which has a relationship to its medical school, but not very established. Tuition is about ($30K) - begins 5/3. I was also offered a spot at UPenn (linkages, e etc.)

I have interviewed at Tufts (over 90% matriculation), and I'm waiting to hear from Bennington (95% matriculation) - all around $30K tuition.

I've gotten an offer to interview at Scripps, whose tuition is $41,000. They have 96% med school acceptance rate - I have to fly out from the east coast to interview.

Do you suppose Scripps' 96% med school acceptance rate and it's reputation are worth an extra $10-$12,000 tuition? Bennington's acceptance rate is high, but I believe Scripps is more well-known...I'd have to spend almost $1000 to fly out next week 3/28, or else wait until 4/8 for a cheaper flight, which cutting it close to UMich's start date...

Part of me thinks I'll probably fare well enough wherever I go, but I know medical school admissions are insane, and I don't want to underestimate any extra support I could possibly get...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey!

I was accepted to a handful of postbac programs (including Scripps), and here are my thoughts:

1. I think that you should interview at Scripps. Even if you are hesitant to go due to airfare and accommodation, I feel like the visit itself warrants the costs. You may feel really good about the program after the interview, tour, and meeting with current students. In my opinion, flying out and interviewing is well worth it in the long run. I personally would hate looking back and regret not giving the school a chance.

2. Are you planning on linking? If so, what kind of medical school do you want to apply to? In general, I think most premed students are one of two things: 1. "I'll go to any med school that takes me" or 2. "I want to go to a particular med school". If you are in a position to be able to have options and want options, then Scripps seems like the better choice, but there is that 10-12k tuition increase. Like you mentioned, UMich MEDPREP is cheaper, but you don't have many options through linking. No one can make that decision for you.

Best of luck! Hope this helps.

I have an offer at UMich MEDPREP which has a relationship to its medical school, but not very established. Tuition is about ($30K) - begins 5/3.

Are you a Michigan resident? If not you pay OOS which makes it much, much more.

Hi there,

I just wanted to follow-up on this thread and see if any of you actually decided to enroll in Michigan's MEDPREP program? I am currently in the process of deciding which post-bacc program to attend (I am in between MEDPREP and Agnes Scott in Georgia). Thank you!