MD & DO Semi-Nontraditional Student, Low GPA, Needing Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FtrNoodleDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some sound advice from current practitioners or medical students that have been in a similar position. I'm a communication major and am in the fifth year of my undergraduate degree. I decided late to pursue medicine and started taking the premed courses during my fourth year of undergrad. I decided to stay a fifth because it financially made more sense.
I have a 3.37 cGPA (was very immature and didn't think I would be applying to any type of professional/graduate program) and around a 3.15 sGPA (from calculating it with an advisor); so I'm not doing great. The only other premed course I will be taking is genetics and biochemistry. I have not taken my MCAT yet.

Upon graduation in June of 2018, I'll be a medical scribe for one year. I have experience volunteering at a couple different organizations and am involved in some student groups, but nothing crazy.

I don't think I would get in even if I had an MCAT score of 515+. I'm having trouble deciding what to do after that one year of scribing is up.

Should I consider an SMP program? If so, what are some reputable ones with a partnership with medical schools? (This is a direction I am leaning toward.)

Should I, instead, work as an EMT for a couple years?

What minimum MCAT score do I need with such a low GPA?

I don't know a lot about these areas and don't have any family members to ask, so I turned to SDN. I'm 23, Asian and Pacific Islander, and an Oregon resident. Yes, I am not opposed to a DO school. I'm unsure if the rumors are true about them being "less than" MDs.

Thank you and I apologize for the lengthy thread!

Members don't see this ad.

You need a minimum MCAT of 500 to be competitive for at least 12 DO schools that I can think of. With a MCAT of 515 you would have a 50% for a MD acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
You need a minimum MCAT of 500 to be competitive for at least 12 DO schools that I can think of. With a MCAT of 515 you would have a 50% for a MD acceptance.

Should I forego an SMP program if I can get a relatively high MCAT score?