MD & DO Semi-Nontraditional Student, Low GPA, Needing Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FtrNoodleDoc

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some sound advice from current practitioners or medical students that have been in a similar position. I'm a communication major and am in the fifth year of my undergraduate degree. I decided late to pursue medicine and started taking the premed courses during my fourth year of undergrad. I decided to stay a fifth because it financially made more sense.
I have a 3.37 cGPA (was very immature and didn't think I would be applying to any type of professional/graduate program) and around a 3.15 sGPA (from calculating it with an advisor); so I'm not doing great. The only other premed course I will be taking is genetics and biochemistry. I have not taken my MCAT yet.

Upon graduation in June of 2018, I'll be a medical scribe for one year. I have experience volunteering at a couple different organizations and am involved in some student groups, but nothing crazy.

I don't think I would get in even if I had an MCAT score of 515+. I'm having trouble deciding what to do after that one year of scribing is up.

Should I consider an SMP program? If so, what are some reputable ones with a partnership with medical schools? (This is a direction I am leaning toward.)

Should I, instead, work as an EMT for a couple years?

What minimum MCAT score do I need with such a low GPA?

I don't know a lot about these areas and don't have any family members to ask, so I turned to SDN. I'm 23, Asian and Pacific Islander, and an Oregon resident. Yes, I am not opposed to a DO school. I'm unsure if the rumors are true about them being "less than" MDs.

Thank you and I apologize for the lengthy thread!
 
You need a minimum MCAT of 500 to be competitive for at least 12 DO schools that I can think of. With a MCAT of 515 you would have a 50% for a MD acceptance.

Should I forego an SMP program if I can get a relatively high MCAT score?