Sfsu 05

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adpitan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to see who was going to SFSU this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you live out there? Are you moving out there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there!

It'll be my second semester there. Taking OChem I, Gen Chem II, Physics II, Bio II.

I'm so excited. I have to meet all you fun people!

adpitan said:
Do you live out there? Are you moving out there?

I live in the lower haight. SFSU is a bit of a trek, but I guess that's reading time.

tolachi said:
I live in the lower haight. SFSU is a bit of a trek, but I guess that's reading time.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the little trek as I will be living in Santa Clara or San Mateo County some where as SF is too expensive for me to handle alone. I'm sure mid-way through the semester I will be tired of it but you do what you gotta do, right? :)

El Smacko,

Wow, that's quite a plan you've got going there. I'm only taking chem 215/216 and physics 111/112 in the fall! I plan on volunteering, and working in one of state's labs. Good luck!

El Smacko said:
It'll be my second semester there. Taking OChem I, Gen Chem II, Physics II, Bio II.
Sr. Smacko, any word on how competitive it is to get the classes you need? I'll need to take OChem, Phys & Bio I in Fall and II in Spring or else no med school applications for me. Are pre-med classes as rough to get in to as they are at the U.C.'s? Gracias...

Is anyone taking classes this summer? I suddenly feel the need to start earlier.

I plan on taking organic chemistry I and II this summer :eek:! I know they don't offer general biology, or the first general chemistry class in the summer. Your best bet might be general physics I. Good luck.

scota said:
El Smacko,

Wow, that's quite a plan you've got going there. I'm only taking chem 215/216 and physics 111/112 in the fall! I plan on volunteering, and working in one of state's labs. Good luck!

Yea, if I felt like I had the time, I might take it easier. I have a family, but I'm not working, so I just consider this my 8 to 5 job.

I'm finding that chem 115 prepared me very well for 215. Different textbook though, which is a feaking rip. Physics 111 goes in accordance with how you feel about math, etc. Physics 112 is playtime - like going to the Exploratorium.

I just started volunteering at UCSF and I hope to join a lab at State as well. What a crazy dance we're put through!

-smack

Members don't see this ad :)
notdeadyet said:
Sr. Smacko, any word on how competitive it is to get the classes you need? I'll need to take OChem, Phys & Bio I in Fall and II in Spring or else no med school applications for me. Are pre-med classes as rough to get in to as they are at the U.C.'s? Gracias...

They're all competitive, but you can just about assure that you get into a class if you're flexible about when you take the labs. You have to be pretty determined though, because it can take a while for enrollment to settle down what with drops, shuffling, etc. I enrolled through Open University last semester and I was able to get my first choice on all classes. Oh, there is a "diagnostic" test in both physics I and biology I (chem I too) and your priority can be affected by how you do on those. Apparently a sizeable % get weeded out by those tests.

-es

El Smacko,

Did you take Vannelli's chem 115 class in the Fall? If you did, then we were classmates :).

scota said:
El Smacko,

Did you take Vannelli's chem 115 class in the Fall? If you did, then we were classmates :).

Yup, I was there... sort of. I rarely went to lecture and instead spent the class hour in the library studying out of the book. I think Vanelli is good, but I found that it was a little more efficient for me to learn the material by doing book problems rather than by sitting in class.

-el

Ok, so I'm here, I started my math workshop yesterday and am surrounded by 18 year olds & a bunch of chatty cathys. I need a grown up to talk to, is anyone on campus in the mornings before 9:30? I am anxious to meet some ppl that I will hopefully have classes with in the fall. I'm also half hoping to still be here in the fall.. I say that as I just received a call from Santa Clara to interview for an investigator position @ the ME's office. I really want it but I really want to go to school too.

Anyways, if there is anyone around I would love to meet.

adpitan said:
Ok, so I'm here, I started my math workshop yesterday and am surrounded by 18 year olds & a bunch of chatty cathys. I need a grown up to talk to, is anyone on campus in the mornings before 9:30? I am anxious to meet some ppl that I will hopefully have classes with in the fall. I'm also half hoping to still be here in the fall.. I say that as I just received a call from Santa Clara to interview for an investigator position @ the ME's office. I really want it but I really want to go to school too.

Anyways, if there is anyone around I would love to meet.

yeah, i'm there mondays and weds for 9:00 a.m. phys lab.

I'm really interested in SFSU's informal post-bac premed program. I'm glad to have found this thread. How is everyone doing now? I hope to meet you when I start on my journey in 2006. :)

Is it hard to get in the post-bac program? I earned my degree in the Philippines 4 years ago. My undergrad performance was not impressive at all. I don't have the converted version of my transcript of records yet, but I'm guessing it will be ~2.5. My major was Statistics, and I had no bio/chem/physics credits at all.
I know my low undergrad GPA is going to be an issue trying to get into a medical school later, but is it going to be a problem, too, just trying to get into the post-bac program?
How are you finding SFSU? the classes? the professors? the advising? the volunteer work?

I'll call Prof. Rothman this afternoon. I hope to hear good news and some sensible advice.

It's been a month since the epiphany for me, it's been a roller-coaster ride! There are times when i get so inspired and I feel ready to do anything. There are times when I feel regretful (of my low GPA, mostly) and intimidated.

I hope to get a concrete plan by December so I can be right on my way next year.

Did any of you consider doing the SJSU post bacc program?

For those of you who were accepted, can u tell those of us who are applying the type of stats that got u accepted?

If u dont want to say ur exact scores, can you give ranges, like above 3.0, below 25 MCAT?

thanks to all who reply

STUCKinUCR said:
For those of you who were accepted, can u tell those of us who are applying the type of stats that got u accepted?

If u dont want to say ur exact scores, can you give ranges, like above 3.0, below 25 MCAT?

thanks to all who reply

I thought that everyone gets accepted?

Did any of you consider doing the SJSU post bacc program?
NRAI2001, I am considering SJSU, too. I'm also trying to find out more about Mills and CSU-Hayward. I think SFSU post-bac is a little more well-known, though. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Have you started your post-bac yet? Im planning to start in 2006.

NRAI2001 said:

So if you meet the cutoffs and requirements thats on the AAMC website then its an automatic acceptance?

NRAI2001 said:

You're applying to the school (SFSU) and not the program as it is an informal program. It's up to you to make contact w/the post-bac students and advisor once you are there. I believe this to also be true of SJSU.

Good luck.

bigfoot said:
NRAI2001, I am considering SJSU, too. I'm also trying to find out more about Mills and CSU-Hayward. I think SFSU post-bac is a little more well-known, though. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Have you started your post-bac yet? Im planning to start in 2006.

Nope not in any post bacc right now. I am Cal berkeley finishing up this semester. Thinking about if i should do a post bacc next year or a masters degree.

Post bacc seems more laid back and it would be closer to home and friends. Probably a more enjoyable time and it would be nice to stay in Ca. But a masters program or SMP might look better on paper. I m not sure what i want to do yet. I think i have the grades to get into both.

hey all

so i'll be doing post bac at SFSU starting spring 06 as a 2nd bac. i did undergrad at Cal and still live in berkeley so i'll be doing a lot of commuting.

I'm doing post bac to raise my science GPA and will also be retaking both my o-chems.

the way that the post bac works as said earlier, is that it is an unstructured program (you pretty much take whatever classes that you feel will help buff up your application). You can do post bac 1 of 2 ways: either as "open university" or as "2nd bac". With open university you pay per unit to take classes, you aren't considered a registered student which means that you enroll in your classes only AFTER everyone else has (but as said earlier, it seems that this isn't too much of a problem). With 2nd bac, you complete the same application that you complete for regular bachelor's degree admittance. basically you're applying into the Cal State University system (no essays, no MCATs... you're pretty much applying to college over again). the benefits of doing it this way instead of open university is that 1) you can register for classes along w/ everyone else, 2) you can apply for financial aid, and 3) in a lot of cases it turns out to be cheaper. The catch is that the deadline to apply is earlier than it is for open university

there's a pre-med/post bac advisor by the name of Barry Rothman. He made an EXTREMELY helpful website where i got all my info:

http://online.sfsu.edu/~brothman/Post-Bac2.HTM

SFSU post bac is good for people who like flexibility and want to do something about their grades in a low maintenance kind of way (there's no elaborate application process or strict requirements). It's relatively cheap (only $1600 a semester if youre a 2nd bac) and the classes are really small (especially if you previously went to a huge university for undergrad). I've heard that a lot of people from UC Berkeley who've done poorly in the sciences, have gone to SFSU and whooped some major booty... which looks really well in terms of "distance reached" (going from failing classes to getting straight A's!!)

hope this helps!!!! and good luck to ALL!

and by the way... i like to study in groups :) so ummm... for those of you who are already there... hit me up and help me figure out what classes to take ;)

I'm currently finishing up my last year at UC Davis and i'm still trying to decide whether or not to apply to med school this year. I've applied to both CSU East Bay and San Francisco State. As a previous poster had said, it will be more relaxing doing an informal post-bacc close to home, being around friends. A formal post-bacc is more for students who have graduated from their undergraduate institutions without taking their pre-requisites for professional school, where an informal post bacc might be better suited for those students trying to improve their GPA or wanting to retake a couple problem classes to prove their competence in those subjects. One other plus of enrolling full time in a post-bacc if you're just graduating the spring before enrollment is that you don't have to start paying off your loans quite yet if you're still going to be a full time student. I might be seeing you guys at SFSU this fall, going to be fun times being a first year again :laugh:

I might be there also next semester :confused: How do u guys like the program in general? Are the classes easy? Nice atmosphere?

NRAI2001 said:
I might be there also next semester :confused: How do u guys like the program in general? Are the classes easy? Nice atmosphere?

Genrerally what you get at sfsu are good professors/researchers, who put forth substantial effort into teaching, some a little better than others some a little easier or harder than others.

It's a mistake to think that because your climbing down a rung or two in the california educational hierarchy that it will be easy. But....because you're competing against underclassmen who are not the nerd-jocks you will find at Berkeley etc. it will not be as tough. Keep in mind though that sfsu is pulling some serious students from around the country to its post-bac program. Some of us hit hard, so if the teacher doesn't like to hand out A's and you going up against someone like me or my study partners, you better bring it.

That said, there is also a cooperative and helpful spirit amongst post-bacs and the more serious degree-seeking students like myself. We exchange info on teachers and give each other old class materials and so forth.

PM if you guys want to know anything specific. I'm a junior level microbiology student. I'm taking the bio II and organic chem II in the spring. the general bio teachers teach upper division classes so i might be able to help you a bit, i'm not sure.--Ben.

benelswick said:
Genrerally what you get at sfsu are good professors/researchers, who put forth substantial effort into teaching, some a little better than others some a little easier or harder than others.

It's a mistake to think that because your climbing down a rung or two in the california educational hierarchy that it will be easy. But....because you're competing against underclassmen who are not the nerd-jocks you will find at Berkeley etc. it will not be as tough. Keep in mind though that sfsu is pulling some serious students from around the country to its post-bac program. Some of us hit hard, so if the teacher doesn't like to hand out A's and you going up against someone like me or my study partners, you better bring it.

O wow, I didn't know that sfsu was attracting people from around the country? I thought it was just local people and people from around Ca.

NRAI2001 said:
O wow, I didn't know that sfsu was attracting people from around the country? I thought it was just local people and people from around Ca.

Yeah local people who went to yale and so forth and are now at home with the parents doing a post bac. that's what i meant.