Sfsu Hpac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erato77

Taking the Scenic Route..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

Does anyone know about the Pre-Health Professionals program at San Fran State University? It doesn't look like they have a certification program, but I already have a BA and MA...just looking to get all the science and math courses I never took in college out of the way so I can pass the MCAT and get in Med School.

Members don't see this ad.

The postbac and SFSU is unofficial, but there seems to be a pretty good support network. You can (as of last year, they always talk about changing the policy) enroll as a second BA student in Bio or whatnot. Admissions is easy. Downside is that schedules can be pretty impacted over there and there's no guarantee of the classes you want, when you want them.

As a second BA candidate, you're eligible for financial aid. You can PM me if you have more specific questions. I was accepted to SFSU but went to Mills instead.

I'm a post-bac student @ SFSU and because I already satisfied the writing requirement in addition to the BS I have, I get priority registration. I think to satisfy the requirement you must have taken English 1B or a writing test for your undergrad. Not certain on these items but you can double check. This is my second semester @ SFSU and I received priority enrollment again. I am however enrolled as a 2nd Degree student with a Bio-Physio major but I needed to do that to get financial aid.

Hope this was helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like Sf state would be a good fit for you. I suggest doing what the previous poster said, however, because i've heard of post bacs struggling to pick up classes. As a degree student I've never had any problems getting classes, my post-bac friends had to scramble but were able to get revised versions of their courseplans.

The post bac "program" consists of one organizing faculty member who teaches full-time--Barry Rothman--and the loose cooperation of students who get tossed in with all the other degree seeking students. So it is informal, but effective if you have your act together on your own. Good Luck!--Ben.

Hi, benelswick: Do you know if SF State science classes ever offered in the evenings? I have combed through two or three semesters worth of class schedules and have found that they all seem to only offer the classes I will need in the mornings and early afternoons. Since I work during the day (part/time, 8:30 AM – 3:00PM) it seems impossible to move forward. A few months ago, I did speak with Dr. Rothman about it and he explained that they are always trying to do their best to accommodate. Hmmm. Any suggestions from an insider?

benelswick said:
Seems like Sf state would be a good fit for you. I suggest doing what the previous poster said, however, because i've heard of post bacs struggling to pick up classes. As a degree student I've never had any problems getting classes, my post-bac friends had to scramble but were able to get revised versions of their courseplans.

The post bac "program" consists of one organizing faculty member who teaches full-time--Barry Rothman--and the loose cooperation of students who get tossed in with all the other degree seeking students. So it is informal, but effective if you have your act together on your own. Good Luck!--Ben.

235--

Yeah, you're going to have alot of trouble getting that coursework completed at state. At City College I was able to get more evening classes but that's part of their mission--to educate working adults. I work full-time on the swing shift--3-11pm--for that exact reason. All the evening courses i've taken were labs, or GE couses that met only once or twice a week on my days off. The thing is, California education has taken alot of hits over the years and they've taken their toll on the system. In my opinion you are a casualty of class war fare. If you want to got to school here you'll have to adapt to working evenings and going to school in the morning. Good Luck!--Ben.

P.S. Your doing the right thing to do your own research. Even though I like Rothman well enough i've found his advice to be of little help beyond the most pedestrian of pre-med issues.