SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask anyone currently in the program what you like best the SGU program. I am deciding between Ross and SGU and love that SGU has a smaller class size and loved what my interviewer had to say. The only negative I see is the first semester living arrangements--the small studio with beds close together and the longer distance for US and possible higher rates for flights. thanks so much

i think your best bet for opinions on both schools is to browse through current and old SGU and Ross threads. students are obviously going to be biased one way or another usually, but i think it will give you a good idea of what people think. the ross attendees all seem quite happy and so do the SGU people. personally i think it comes down to what you want from your school experience. look at things like breaks, class size, tuition, housing/living arrangements, extracurriculars, safety, school size, support system, transportation, etc. i truly believe that the education received at both schools is high quality and very similar so I don't think you need to nit-pick there.

the ross people would have to comment on flight costs and average length of travel time, but here you can get away with ~$700-800 round trip if you book early. the length of travel depends on where you're coming from. honestly though, once you go international, i'm not sure there's such a thing as "longer distance." its going to be an exhausting hassle either way. for most people travel takes an entire day simply because of connecting flights and layovers. for the most part, you really don't have much opportunity to leave the island during the semester. you are much to busy with studying and exams to make a weekend trip somewhere. you're better off suckering people into visiting you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Finally got my interview set up! This Saturday at 3, in a coffee shop, with a SGU alumni vet. I'm not super confident in what to wear, black dress pants and a blue button up is about all I've come up with so far... Did anyone get quizzed over current events or ethical issues in the field at their interview? There is also a storm coming, and its a 9 hour drive, so hopefully the weather holds off so I can make it!

i think your best bet for opinions on both schools is to browse through current and old SGU and Ross threads. students are obviously going to be biased one way or another usually, but i think it will give you a good idea of what people think. the ross attendees all seem quite happy and so do the SGU people. personally i think it comes down to what you want from your school experience. look at things like breaks, class size, tuition, housing/living arrangements, extracurriculars, safety, school size, support system, transportation, etc. i truly believe that the education received at both schools is high quality and very similar so I don't think you need to nit-pick there.

the ross people would have to comment on flight costs and average length of travel time, but here you can get away with ~$700-800 round trip if you book early. the length of travel depends on where you're coming from. honestly though, once you go international, i'm not sure there's such a thing as "longer distance." its going to be an exhausting hassle either way. for most people travel takes an entire day simply because of connecting flights and layovers. for the most part, you really don't have much opportunity to leave the island during the semester. you are much to busy with studying and exams to make a weekend trip somewhere. you're better off suckering people into visiting you :D

Yea I'm definitely planning on having family and friends come visit me. I was looking at the tuition for both and there doesnt seem to be a big difference between the two but my interviewer said tuition is going up--I think she said something like 35,000 not sure though. Also I think you mentioned something about living arrangements earlier in the thread and wanted to know what you thought of it? Living with one other person in a studio is not my top choice, are there others to choose from? My husband will be visiting and it looks like he would have to get a hotel since I'm pretty sure we both wont fit on a twin! Thanks for all the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I'm definitely planning on having family and friends come visit me. I was looking at the tuition for both and there doesnt seem to be a big difference between the two but my interviewer said tuition is going up--I think she said something like 35,000 not sure though. Also I think you mentioned something about living arrangements earlier in the thread and wanted to know what you thought of it? Living with one other person in a studio is not my top choice, are there others to choose from? My husband will be visiting and it looks like he would have to get a hotel since I'm pretty sure we both wont fit on a twin! Thanks for all the info!

It's only a semester that you would have to live in the dorms. And even then, if your husband is coming (or your pet) you can request to live off campus your first semester so you don't HAVE to live in the dorms.

I never thought about this, but honest question. Does SGUs vet school have that lingering aura of evil soul sucking, money grinning, studet destroying, evil cooperation? Because the med school does, but the politics and climate of human medicine is vastly more contentious than animal medicine, if I were to guess.

I want to be educated on this. For my own curiosity.

I never thought about this, but honest question. Does SGUs vet school have that lingering aura of evil soul sucking, money grinning, studet destroying, evil cooperation? Because the med school does, but the politics and climate of human medicine is vastly more contentious than animal medicine, if I were to guess.

This has been thrown around a bit, but from what we've seen from SGU's vet students, they love it there. The tuition in comparable to going OOS, which happens often in the vet community. Considering that there are only 28 schools in the US, SGU is a great choice for those who could not gain acceptance from a state school. This is not to say that SGU accepts a poorer quality of student to just get their tuition money. SGU has a holistic process and understands that **** happens (and grades suffer) and often looks at the applicant as a whole. There is a higher attrition rate, but that may be due to personal reasons- ie can't do the "island life"

actually no not really. the only time we "suffer" is when we get lumped in with the med school as a whole entity (for instance the school wants to go paperless and start computerized exams) but for the most part we're pretty separate and well cared for by our faculty and administration. vet school in general has a pretty evil soul sucking-ness to it but i'm pretty certain that comes with any professional school :laugh:

Finally got my interview set up! This Saturday at 3, in a coffee shop, with a SGU alumni vet. I'm not super confident in what to wear, black dress pants and a blue button up is about all I've come up with so far... Did anyone get quizzed over current events or ethical issues in the field at their interview? There is also a storm coming, and its a 9 hour drive, so hopefully the weather holds off so I can make it!

good luck! i wore dress pants and a nice top when i interviewed and it felt very appropriate with what my interviewer wore

i really can't comment on how the 1st term living arrangements are because i ended up being a very rare, special case that had a double to myself (long story). some of my classmates were put int 3-4 people single room suites and liked that just fine. i'm in a suite this term and it's worked just fine (minus the completely insane med school roommate, but i'm pretty sure thats a fluke too haha).

as for tuition, tuition for most if not all the schools creeps up a little bit each year. you're going to see it happen at ross too. i disagree with there not being a tuition difference between these two programs. the reason for this is that all in all the Ross program is 10 semesters (7 pre-clinical instead of the more traditional 6) while SGU has 9. COA for my full first year was ~$52k. I also believe that Ross's tuition was just ever so slightly more per term, but even an extra ~$25-30k is going to make a big difference loan-wise.

It's only a semester that you would have to live in the dorms. And even then, if your husband is coming (or your pet) you can request to live off campus your first semester so you don't HAVE to live in the dorms.

i really recommend living on campus unless you are coming down with an SO. most of your classmates are going to live on campus 1st term and i feel like it sets you up to better get a feel for the island and meet people before you venture off. those who lived off tended to be more isolated from class activities just because spur of the moment things happen and when you all live in the same building it's a lot easier to make plans. there are also a ton of review sessions for 1st term students in the evenings and it's much more convenient to live a couple minutes away rather than a bus ride.

You can live on campus with your significant other, one of my classmates do and.. the first term living, not so bad. I was hesitant not ever living in a dorm and being a bit older but my roomie and I have had a ball and have worked out great. She is also in my program and some of my classmates are paired with med students but all in all... not so bad. I would recommend living on campus as well. It definitely makes things easier to get to know the place.

oh thats great to know thanks! For some reason I am having a difficult time deciding and have to figure out what is more important to me--having the summers off or finishing a little earlier. thank you all for the information

oh thats great to know thanks! For some reason I am having a difficult time deciding and have to figure out what is more important to me--having the summers off or finishing a little earlier. thank you all for the information
Obviously that is a personal choice, but to throw my 2 cents in, many of the SGU students appreciate the breaks giving them the time to go home and visit family, or work and make some extra money over the summer time and just have the mental break, and chance to digest everything you have learned to date.

More importantly the breaks give our professors the chance to have some down time. I run into many of them at vet conferences over the summer time as they are free to attend them, and stay on top of their continuing education classes and network with other veterinarians.

The summer breaks also allow the SGU students to add on a dual degree program if they wish without adding on much time to their DVM degree, as they spend their summers working on the Master's portion of their degrees.

i just want to remind you that at ross, even though you finish a few months earlier, you do have an extra semester in your curriculum. its obviously a very personal choice-good luck!-but i think a lot of people forget to consider that extra $25-30k

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea So SGU comes out to be less expensive than Ross? I think its difficult to decide because I know people at ross and grant it, they are in their first semester so they love it, but I imagine the two week breaks ending up feeling like they are not enough. Well I will make a decision very soon--I feel ridiculous that its so difficult for me!

Yea So SGU comes out to be less expensive than Ross? I think its difficult to decide because I know people at ross and grant it, they are in their first semester so they love it, but I imagine the two week breaks ending up feeling like they are not enough. Well I will make a decision very soon--I feel ridiculous that its so difficult for me!

I was trying to decide between SGU and RU for a while, but in the end I can't stand long breaks. IE, during my UG I took summer school and worked full time every summer because having 3 months off drives me crazy. You can compare Ross' trimesters to OSU's quadmesters (?).. You learn a portion of information in a shorter amount of time and then have a short break to pause and regain yourself, instead of spending arduous months cramming information then taking a long break to collapse from exhaustion.

And as for the tuition difference.. I'm already going to be paying around $200k+ for 4 years of vet school, so adding another $20-30k doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Plus, for some reason, the fact that Ross has been accredited longer than SGU somehow makes me feel better.

I know someone who went to Ross, is currently at Missouri, passed the NAVLE, and is graduating in May. She has nothing but positive things to say about Ross, their program, and their professors. My advisors from my IS UG have both visited Ross and rant and rave about their school, it seems much more so than SGU.

And as for the tuition difference.. I'm already going to be paying around $200k+ for 4 years of vet school, so adding another $20-30k doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Plus, for some reason, the fact that Ross has been accredited longer than SGU somehow makes me feel better.

i will point out that $20-30k x 25-30 years of interest is likely to be a "bigger" deal, but it's an individual financial decision.

as for being accredited longer, 1) :laugh: yes, that 6 months is clearly a big difference ;) and 2) if you compare how long the schools have been around vs. how long it took them to be accredited... (okay, sorry this section was rude, but people making that "argument" just makes me go :smack: they're both excellent schools)

Yes I agree with both of you--the breaks can be annoying if I dont have anything planned to do and may feel like I'm wasting time but it may also feel welcomed especially after studying like crazy and nice breather and time to get more experience ( I would probably work with my father over the breaks). The money issue is not negligible and its quite high. I know the majority of Ross grads go on to private practice, what about SGU grads? Do a lot or some go on to specialities, like wildlife medicine, research? I've grown up around private practice and really see myself working with research and wildlife, but the private practice is nice in that it affords some stability.

Oh and one other question: Orientation for SGU--my husband would be coming with me for the first week, would he have to get a hotel or would he be allowed to stay in the dorms? Do many students bring family with them for the orientation week?

[/QUOTE]
COA for my full first year was ~$52k.
[/QUOTE]

Does this include living and travel expenses?

[/QUOTE]

Does this include living and travel expenses?[/QUOTE]

yes-it includes everything you can possibly imagine and then some. some people felt like it was a very accurate amount, i personally needed quite a bit less because i'm a pretty frugal and boring person

[/QUOTE]

Does this include living and travel expenses?[/QUOTE]

I may be mistaken but I believe CoA includes living expenses but not traveling expenses.

Yes I agree with both of you--the breaks can be annoying if I dont have anything planned to do and may feel like I'm wasting time but it may also feel welcomed especially after studying like crazy and nice breather and time to get more experience ( I would probably work with my father over the breaks). The money issue is not negligible and its quite high. I know the majority of Ross grads go on to private practice, what about SGU grads? Do a lot or some go on to specialities, like wildlife medicine, research? I've grown up around private practice and really see myself working with research and wildlife, but the private practice is nice in that it affords some stability.

i dont know the stats specifically, but quite a few people from all schools are doing internships and such. we also seem to have a higher number of exotics and wildlife people here than any where else i've heard of.

i dont you'll ever find the breaks annoying. even if i was going home to sit around for 3 months i'd take that over starting a new term in a month or two.

Oh and one other question: Orientation for SGU--my husband would be coming with me for the first week, would he have to get a hotel or would he be allowed to stay in the dorms? Do many students bring family with them for the orientation week?

i dont think he would not be allowed, but that would be a question for housing. make sure you specify that he's just visiting though (otherwise they might get confused and think you're talking about married housing). i think whether he stays with you or in a hotel will really depend on whether you're in a double or a single suite. might be kind of awkward for ya''ll and a roommate to be sleeping 10 ft from each other!

Haha yes it would be very awkward for all three of us! I emailed Krista about a single and she said that I could request it, but most likely I'll end up in a double. I think that is the only negative--if SGU could make it that everyone had their own rooms and share a common area that would be ideal oh well.

On a side note, what do you think of sharing the campus with the medical students, undergrad and grad students? Do the Veterinary students have like their own little section where most of the classes are or are they mix in around campus?

Haha yes it would be very awkward for all three of us! I emailed Krista about a single and she said that I could request it, but most likely I'll end up in a double. I think that is the only negative--if SGU could make it that everyone had their own rooms and share a common area that would be ideal oh well.

On a side note, what do you think of sharing the campus with the medical students, undergrad and grad students? Do the Veterinary students have like their own little section where most of the classes are or are they mix in around campus?

i do wish they had guaranteed singles for everyone. i doubt this will ever happen though, at least not until they have to replace the 2 dorms with the doubles. i honestly think most people just say well it's 4 months i'll survive. like i said above, i can't really comment on how it is because i wasn't in that situation, but i think most of my classmates survived just fine.

i actually thought sharing the campus was a huge plus when comparing ross to SGU. i liked the idea of having more people around (but i came from a 30,000+ student university, so 5000 feels small let alone several hundred). We aren't too inter-mixed with regards to classrooms. We do share a couple of rooms for some of the 1 credit lectures that don't happen during the "normal" lecture time (i.e. happen in the morning in first term when "normal" lecture time is in the afternoon). we have 3 classrooms rotated between the 6 terms so half the school is in labs (and the oddball 1 credit classes, but thats mostly just term 1) and half is in lecture in alternating terms (1,3,5 lecture in the afternoon lab in the morning; 2,4,6 reversed). we have our own anatomy building, our own lab building, our own surgical building and our own lecture halls (2 are on the second floor of the surgery building)

Oh nice. Yea I did undergrad at University of miami and then did my pre-vet courses and masters at UF and loved it.

Ok two last questions! ( I must apologize, new questions pop in my head and its great you are willing to answer them-- so very much appreciated!) Whats orientation like? Can my husband join the group for tours etc ( trying to figure out if he will be on his own most of the days)? the last question is: does the school do terminal surgeries?
Thanks so much, you have been such great help!

Oh nice. Yea I did undergrad at University of miami and then did my pre-vet courses and masters at UF and loved it.

Ok two last questions! ( I must apologize, new questions pop in my head and its great you are willing to answer them-- so very much appreciated!) Whats orientation like? Can my husband join the group for tours etc ( trying to figure out if he will be on his own most of the days)? the last question is: does the school do terminal surgeries?
Thanks so much, you have been such great help!

sure no problem, anytime!

school orientation is open to anyone and everyone who wants to attend. the vet school orientation is 2 8-5 days of vet school stuff only so he'd be on his own then, but a lot of family come with people so he doesnt have to be alone. orientation details come out closer to the start of the term.

and no, no terminal surgeries here.

I wore a suit, but I would say just look professional. The interview was semi-structured, but my interviewer was really laid back and just wanted to get a sense of who I am, and what kind of vet I would be. She did ask some prepared questions, but none about ethics or current issues. Just be prepared to talk about your experiences and your interests in veterinary medicine. Good Luck!

Does anyone know what the graduate placement rate is for the SGU grads and where the veterinarians end up practicing?

Just got accepted for next Fall!!! So excited! Does anyone know if landlords are good about signing leases from afar or do you have to go visit to get a place. My partner and I are living off campus and we weren't planning on visiting before moving. Is there a way to coordinate with off campus housing easily?

My interview for the Foundations program is tomorrow. Im so nervous im not going to do well on the essay or not going to be able to talk or answer any of her questions. I hope it goes well though.

My interview for the Foundations program is tomorrow. Im so nervous im not going to do well on the essay or not going to be able to talk or answer any of her questions. I hope it goes well though.

you will be just fine :) the interviewers are all very nice. they aren't out to trip you up, they want it to be relaxed so they can get to know you and you can get to know them. i know some people share the opposite opinion, but i think the essay is no big deal. just an extra chance for them to get to know you without someone else reading over your shoulder. good luck!:luck:

oh yeah and to booray: i dont live off campus at this point in time so i can't personally be of much help, but if you are planning to attend, get on the sgusvmagu2012 fb page because off campus housing is a hot topic there :) many upperclassmen can give you some excellent advice for picking (there are also a couple of people looking for housing right now)

I got a lot of the easy stuff done today on the application. Still have to find my calculated sci GPA when I get home. Anyone have experience listing courses taken on the quarter system instead of semesters?

I'm going to try contacting the school regarding how to do that, but was hoping someone might be useful?

OK guys, I'm applying. Anyone have any tips for the application or anything at all? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

i dont think i have any tips, but if you have questions, feel free to ask! Just try and get your stuff in ASAP so they can get to processing it :) :luck:

i was on a semester system so no help there, but i imagine Jeffery Bates or someone in admissions can certainly help you out :)

i dont think i have any tips, but if you have questions, feel free to ask! Just try and get your stuff in ASAP so they can get to processing it :) :luck:

i was on a semester system so no help there, but i imagine Jeffery Bates or someone in admissions can certainly help you out :)
Thanks! I love your blog by the way.
Two questions -
1. What is the best way to contact Jeffery or another person in admissions? E-mail?

2. (Really random, I know) Is it true there is a Staples copy center on the island?

Thanks! I love your blog by the way.
Two questions -
1. What is the best way to contact Jeffery or another person in admissions? E-mail?

2. (Really random, I know) Is it true there is a Staples copy center on the island?

email or phone (office is in NY, but Jeffery Bates is a traveling man from FL)

and :laugh: you're kidding right?? no, there is no Staples, Walmart, Target, or really shopping of any kind here (roomie and I are going home and clearing out the stores when we get home:smuggrin:) i suppose it makes not spending a ton of money here a little bit easier though

i think there are a couple of copy type places here but they'd be little mom and pop shops that did a whole lot else too

email or phone (office is in NY, but Jeffery Bates is a traveling man from FL)

and :laugh: you're kidding right?? no, there is no Staples, Walmart, Target, or really shopping of any kind here (roomie and I are going home and clearing out the stores when we get home:smuggrin:) i suppose it makes not spending a ton of money here a little bit easier though

i think there are a couple of copy type places here but they'd be little mom and pop shops that did a whole lot else too
Nah, the BF googled jobs on Grenada (he hasn't made peace with likely not coming with) and there were like 3 records for copy pro at staples in St. George lol. He's currently a copy pro and thought he might transfer to get around the work permit. I was skeptical.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to get a hold of Jeffrey tomorrow.

Nah, the BF googled jobs on Grenada (he hasn't made peace with likely not coming with) and there were like 3 records for copy pro at staples in St. George lol. He's currently a copy pro and thought he might transfer to get around the work permit. I was skeptical.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to get a hold of Jeffrey tomorrow.

haha okay that makes more sense. yeah, there is no American civilization here. but thats very sweet of him (no clue what he's found though).

How long do most people wait for a decision. I know its been answered earlier but its a different time of yr and i was wondering if it could be a longer or shorter wait.

Just wanted to let you know that I finally had my interview this weekend. As everyone else said, it was VERY relaxed and friendly. I had to travel 9 hours, we met in a coffee shop. I wore a button up and black slacks and it lasted about 1 hour. The only official questions he asked outside of how did you hear about SGU and what do you know about Grenada, where "why do I want to be a vet", "what volunteer activities do I enjoy", and "talk about an ethical issue facing vets today". Other than that we just used those as platforms to go into conversation about other experience related stuff, and I wrote my essay at the end. He said that it should be about 4-5 weeks until I hear back, depending on when the committee meets in May. I am still waiting to hear on my alternate spot for Oklahoma, but am starting to lose hope so am actually realistically considering SGU for the fall if I get accepted. Does anyone know much about the transfer rate/process? How many students do this? My interviewer made it sound like A LOT, and that SGU didn't mind at all. As a back up plan, if SGU wasn't the right fit for me after the first year, I would consider trying to transfer back to the US, so just looking into it a little.

How long do most people wait for a decision. I know its been answered earlier but its a different time of yr and i was wondering if it could be a longer or shorter wait.

i honestly don't think there is any rhyme or reason to when they sit down and meet but it does seem like it is taking a little bit longer for the decision to come back to students than last year

Just wanted to let you know that I finally had my interview this weekend. As everyone else said, it was VERY relaxed and friendly. I had to travel 9 hours, we met in a coffee shop. I wore a button up and black slacks and it lasted about 1 hour. The only official questions he asked outside of how did you hear about SGU and what do you know about Grenada, where "why do I want to be a vet", "what volunteer activities do I enjoy", and "talk about an ethical issue facing vets today". Other than that we just used those as platforms to go into conversation about other experience related stuff, and I wrote my essay at the end. He said that it should be about 4-5 weeks until I hear back, depending on when the committee meets in May. I am still waiting to hear on my alternate spot for Oklahoma, but am starting to lose hope so am actually realistically considering SGU for the fall if I get accepted. Does anyone know much about the transfer rate/process? How many students do this? My interviewer made it sound like A LOT, and that SGU didn't mind at all. As a back up plan, if SGU wasn't the right fit for me after the first year, I would consider trying to transfer back to the US, so just looking into it a little.

yes, we do have students transfer. its a variable kind of thing and i would certainly not accept here and expect to transfer back because of how variable it is. i think the school is expecting the transfer rate to drop a little now that the school is accredited.

things to keep in mind:
-the school(s) you're looking to go to may not have any open spots at the time
-you may potentially lose a semester or a years worth of time because of non-matching curriculums, and with that you may lose a lot of money
-you are going to have to look competitive on paper (particularly depending on the school) because there are usually more applicants than spots
-in state preference is given at a lot of schools (i.e. transfer applicants with in state residency are given preference over OOS ones)

that being said, the school is supportive of a student's decision to transfer, but it is a bit of a gambling process. the above are just some of the things i've heard a few of my classmates talking about as they go through the process themselves

My status finally says complete for final review. So excited and nervous. I can't wait!

Haven't been on in a while. Anywho, I've finished up 2/3 of my courses and just waiting to be done with animal nutrition so I can be reevaluated. (For those of you that forgot, I am accepted into the foundation program, but i'm trying to bump myself up, and not have to do it by doing really well this semester). It's killing me to wait. Krista said there are only about 20 spots left for August, which is driving me nuts. I don't wanna have to wait another semester!!! :oops:

All in all, another semester is better than another year. But GOOD LUCK! Seems like you want it enough, I'm sure one of those seats could be yours!

I'm also in waiting (prevet year 3) with status Final Review. The daily multiple checking of email is driving me nuts! But I can't wait to get things going ;) it seems like once, and if, I get that acceptance letter (email?) there'll be a bazillion things to do! Crossing my fingers!