Should I assume I am reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

crgirl

So...
I know a lot of people are struggling with this. But, here's my situation.
Undergrad at NYU
515 MCAT
3.8 GPA
1.5 years of research in behavioral neuro lab
1 year of research in computational lab
6 months volunteering in a hospital
volunteered for a couple weeks in Costa Rica
I have been tutoring for 3 years
I work as a consultant now for a public health project
I've done some shadowing
I've submitted written creative pieces (poems) to our medical journal

I have had 1 interview and ultimately got rejected
have received 6 rejections outside of that

I only applied to top tier schools, so my chances are slim for the 18 that remain (Albert Einstein, UC Irvine, U Vermont, U Mich, Cornell, UCSD, U Illinois, U Cincinnati, Boston U, etc.)

I am getting so anxious, because I did not think this would happen...should I assume I will probably be reapplying? Any advice or anecdotes would be helpful. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've done some shadowing
What were the hour totals per each? For the research, any posters/presentations/authorships?

I have had 1 interview
Where? And where are the 6 rejects from?

I only applied to top tier schools, so my chances are slim for the 18 that remain (Albert Einstein, UC Irvine, U Vermont, U Mich, Cornell, UCSD, U Illinois, U Cincinnati, Boston U, etc.)
I'm a little confused here - only a few of those are top tier schools, others are very appropriate mid tiers. What was the full list of schools? Are you a NY resident, did you apply to your state programs?

You should always assume you'll be reapplying until you get an acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your school list? I would also assume that you will be a reapplication and be pleseantly surprised if you get an offer this year.

Medical school applicants should always assume they will need to reapply until they get that very first acceptance letter.

So...
I know a lot of people are struggling with this. But, here's my situation.
Undergrad at NYU
515 MCAT
3.8 GPA
I work as a consultant now for a public health project
I've done some shadowing
I've submitted written creative pieces (poems) to our medical journal

I have had 1 interview and ultimately got rejected
have received 6 rejections outside of that

I am getting so anxious, because I did not think this would happen...should I assume I will probably be reapplying? Any advice or anecdotes would be helpful. thanks

7 rejects: Wisconsin, U Washington, Rochester (interviewed), Dartmouth, UCSF, U Mass, NYU
To come: Albert Einstein, U North Carolina, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Ohio State, U Cincinnati, Emory, Tufts, Boston U, U Illinois, UC Irvine, UCSD, UCLA, SUNY Downstate, Duke, Georgetown, Oregon Health & Sciences, U Vermont, U Mich,
Research: 300 hrs for behavioral lab and received a research grant, for my current computational lab, 20 hrs/week since June
I shadowed a family physician back in California

7 rejects: Wisconsin, U Washington, Rochester (interviewed), Dartmouth, UCSF, U Mass, NYU
To come: Albert Einstein, U North Carolina, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Ohio State, U Cincinnati, Emory, Tufts, Boston U, U Illinois, UC Irvine, UCSD, UCLA, SUNY Downstate, Duke, Georgetown, Oregon Health & Sciences, U Vermont, U Mich,
Research: 300 hrs for behavioral lab and received a research grant, for my current computational lab, 20 hrs/week since June
I applied the day it opened - June 7!
And isn't that disheartening? It's okay though..it's a tough school. I was complete around mid July

Hmm... how were your personal statement and secondary essays? Did you rush through them or did you take time to thoughtfully write them?

Another factor could be a possible bad letter

Hmm... how were your personal statement and secondary essays? Did you rush through them or did you take time to thoughtfully write them?

Another factor could be a possible bad letter

I know I had wonderful letters. I liked my personal statement. Secondaries I dont know.
Make that 8 rejections...it's a no to Cornell

Why didn't you apply to other NY state schools?

How do you "know" you had wonderful letters? Did you see them all?

And this shouldn't have sunk you, but no pubs or posters with 2.5 years of research?

Your ECs and MCAT are too weak for those top tier schools. What is your state residency? If it's NY, definitely add the NY public schools next time. If it's CA, that's a difficult situation. I would add a lot more private schools to your list and remove a lot of those OOS public schools (IL, OR, NC... they take very little OOS). Invest in MSAR.

Also, make sure to add some nonclinical volunteering. How many hours of clinical volunteering and shadowing do you have? I would aim for >150 of clinical and ~50 of shadowing, preferably with a few different specialties. Finally, I would try and do a mock interview with your school's prehealth office if you can -- a post-interview rejection is a little concerning.

I know I had wonderful letters. I liked my personal statement. Secondaries I dont know.
Make that 8 rejections...it's a no to Cornell

Is your clinical experience simply 6 months of hospital volunteering? Anything else? What was your nonclinical volunteering/service to others? Was it just the overseas service?

Your strong points seem to be on research, consulting and tutoring, so having more clinical and nonclinical experiences would help.

Your ECs and MCAT are too weak for those top tier schools. What is your state residency? If it's NY, definitely add the NY public schools next time. If it's CA, that's a difficult situation. I would add a lot more private schools to your list and remove a lot of those OOS public schools (IL, OR, NC... they take very little OOS). Invest in MSAR.

Also, make sure to add some nonclinical volunteering. How many hours of clinical volunteering and shadowing do you have? I would aim for >150 of clinical and ~50 of shadowing, preferably with a few different specialties. Finally, I would try and do a mock interview with your school's prehealth office if you can -- a post-interview rejection is a little concerning.

Im looking at this and I agree, I think the school list might be the problem. It's on the side of top heavy for an average gpa and the ECs listed. The amount of state schools listed is also concerning (many of the UCs if you're not from CA, SUNYs if youre not from NY, Illinois, UNC, UWash, Oregon..). Georgetown is tricky because it's low yield and I absolutely hope OP is from Massachusetts applying to UMass.

Invest in MSAR and research schools better. Be humble too, as in, dont only target top schools because you think your app is good enough. Find schools that your stats are in line with but also that your app fulfills the school's mission.

Reactions: 1 user
Is your clinical experience simply 6 months of hospital volunteering? Anything else? What was your nonclinical volunteering/service to others? Was it just the overseas service?

Your strong points seem to be on research, consulting and tutoring, so having more clinical and nonclinical experiences would help.

Also this. Schools eat up loads of service to disadvantaged populations. It also never hurts to get additional clinical experiences under your belt.

In case you need it, hoping you wont. Here is a list where you are above the median and would be competitive
Icahn
Mayo
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Emory
University of Cincinnati
University of Iowa
St Louis
U of Rochester
Einstein
U of Miami
Unversity of Colorado School of Medicine
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Tufts
loyola
George Town
Floria Atlantic
Medical college Wisconsin
Thomas Jefferson
U of Vermont
Oregon Health
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Loma Linda
Indiana
U Central Florida
Temple University
Albany
Unifored
Tulane
Creighton
USF
Oakland University Beaumont
Penn State
EVMS
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
Drexel
Virginia Tech
University of Arizona
VCU
Wright State University
Rosalind Franklin Chicago
George Washington University
Rush
New York Medical College
Michigan State
Frank H Netter
West Virginia
Cooper Medical School Rowan

UC and SUNYs were kind of long shots unless you know something we dont. Also Carolina?

You'll be reapplying. You should have been more strategic in your school list. Next year, don't make that mistake.

you're lacking in the clinical exposure and community service areas, which may also have weakened your PS and secondaries.

good luck this cycle, but if it doesn't work out, I'd recommend focusing on those and getting more eyes on your personal statement.