Should I retake the MCAT? 509

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icy14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT Sept 2, and got a score of 509. 126/127/127/129. 80th percentile overall.

I know I scored right at the national average of people who were accepted into medical school. I am not super disappointed with my score, but I was not happy. I know I can do better.

I took the two AAMC full length scored practice exams in the two weeks before the MCAT, and got 511 both times. This is why I was expecting to at least get 511 on the real thing, or even better.

I don't know if it was some kind of a fluke that I went down several points on the real thing, if I didn't perform to the best of my ability, or if the cohort of students taking it that day with me happened to just be really smart.

I have a 3.96 GPA currently, and two more semesters of hopefully straight A's that will raise it even more. My extracurriculars are decent, but I am taking a gap year to add to them and will hopefully be applying this June.

Should I retake? I know I deserve at least a 511, and I think I know how I would study differently/better this time around. Is it worth it for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT Sept 2, and got a score of 509. 126/127/127/129. 80th percentile overall.

I know I scored right at the national average of people who were accepted into medical school. I am not super disappointed with my score, but I was not happy. I know I can do better.

I took the two AAMC full length scored practice exams in the two weeks before the MCAT, and got 511 both times. This is why I was expecting to at least get 511 on the real thing, or even better.

I don't know if it was some kind of a fluke that I went down several points on the real thing, if I didn't perform to the best of my ability, or if the cohort of students taking it that day with me happened to just be really smart.

I have a 3.96 GPA currently, and two more semesters of hopefully straight A's that will raise it even more. My extracurriculars are decent, but I am taking a gap year to add to them and will hopefully be applying this June.

Should I retake? I know I deserve at least a 511, and I think I know how I would study differently/better this time around. Is it worth it for me?

hmm 511 is 86th% vs the 80th% at 509. I don't think it would be worth it. Your GPA already puts you in a good position but there's no guarantee your second mcat score will be higher and why put yourself through all that stress again? Since you're taking a gap year anyways you can improve your application in other ways. That's my personal opinion though and it's ultimately up to how you feel. If you think you could go up to like 513 or 514 then it may be worth it though?

Reactions: 1 user
I vote no. Even if you did get a 511 on a retake (and that's a big if) it wouldn't justify taking the test again. A 511 is only marginally better, probably won't really open many more doors, and a lot of schools average all of your scores anyway. A 509 is a good score! You should be proud, and you have a lot of options.

Members don't see this ad :)

So help me, if you retake that perfectly fine MCAT, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

I suggest:
Dartmouth

U VM

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Your state school(s).

Reactions: 12 users
509 is well within the standard deviation for someone who's doing practice exams at 511. I doubt you'd find any doors open to you with a 511 that would be closed with a 509. Retaking it isn't worth the risk.

I know I deserve at least a 511

cmon-man-smh.jpg

(As instructed, @Catalystik)

Reactions: 15 users

I'm on my 9th retake I know I deserve a 528 but I can't seem to break 515

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
I forbid you from re taking a 509 with no section less than 126. ESPECIALLY with a GPA of 3.93. Your numbers will not hold u back from matriculating into a US MD at this point believe me. Focus on ECs now

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help! At first I wasn't thinking I'd retake, then I spoke with my pre-med advisor. I thought she's caution me against retaking, but she actually didn't think it was a bad idea. She said that most people who retake do better the second time. She thought I'd be more competitive with a higher score, but that a 509 is good enough so it's up to me to decide.

The thing is, I'm from ND. The average score that got accepted to UND med school was 506, so I'm good enough there for sure. However, it's always been my dream to go to an out of state school (not sure which one yet, but I like Creighton, having a Catholic background). I just thought that having a higher MCAT would help me to be more competitive out of state, and I know I could do better. Ugh.

Thank you all for your help! At first I wasn't thinking I'd retake, then I spoke with my pre-med advisor. I thought she's caution me against retaking, but she actually didn't think it was a bad idea. She said that most people who retake do better the second time. She thought I'd be more competitive with a higher score, but that a 509 is good enough so it's up to me to decide.

The thing is, I'm from ND. The average score that got accepted to UND med school was 506, so I'm good enough there for sure. However, it's always been my dream to go to an out of state school (not sure which one yet, but I like Creighton, having a Catholic background). I just thought that having a higher MCAT would help me to be more competitive out of state, and I know I could do better. Ugh.
2 things:
1) Pre med advisors usually arent the most knowledgeable.
2) Creightons median MCAT for MATRICULATED Students is 508. The other jesuit schools like SLUs median is a 510, loyola 504, Gtown 512(MSAR)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The difference between a 509 and a 511 will be a minimal reward. Retaking it and turning your 509 into a 507 would be borderline catastrophic. It simply is not worth the risk, time, and effort.

Your stats are more than sufficient to get accepted into an MD medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
she actually didn't think it was a bad idea.
Here's a good idea: fire her.

She said that most people who retake do better the second time.
That's because most people who retake it didn't get anywhere near 509 the first time. With your GPA, you're plenty competitive.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So help me, if you retake that perfectly fine MCAT, I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

I suggest:
Dartmouth

U VM

Rush

NYMC

Creighton

Albany

Rosy Franklin

Drexel

Temple

MCW

SLU

WVU

Jefferson

Tulane

Loyola

Wake Forest

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

VCU

Netter

EVMS

Oakland-B

Gtown

GWU

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons

Your state school(s).

Would you still say not to retake now that the new stats say 511.2 is average MCAT for white matriculants?

Would you still say not to retake now that the new stats say 511.2 is average MCAT for white matriculants?
Yes, I'd still say not to retake it.

1. To exceed the average score, you'd have to score a 514 the second time...
2. ...but many MD schools would bump you down in their rankings because they don't like MCAT double-takers...
3. ...and many others would bump you down for having the poor judgment to retake a 509...
4. ...and 511.2 is the average for all white matriculants at all schools, including the elite ones...
5. ...and what's the standard deviation anyway?...
6. ...and what's the 95% confidence interval for a 509?...
7. ...and what does "average" mean, bruh?

If you got a 509 on the MCAT and a C or better in all your prereqs, this is the only kind of double-take you should ever do:
giphy.gif

If you retake a 509, @Goro will strangle you with the interwebs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
509 is not "several points" lower. It's actually within the margin of error for 511. I strongly suggest that you do NOT retake it.

I remember when I was considering retaking a 510 b/c I wasn't getting an II... lol now that I've been accepted I can look back and laugh at how silly and neurotic I was, hopefully you'll get there as well!

N=1 but 510 with 8 interviews so far. Just make sure to have a smart and largish school list

I remember when I was considering retaking a 510 b/c I wasn't getting an II... lol now that I've been accepted I can look back and laugh at how silly and neurotic I was, hopefully you'll get there as well!
N=1 but 510 with 8 interviews so far. Just make sure to have a smart and largish school list

Last edited:
Retaking a 509 for a 512 is probably pointless. Retaking a 509 for a 515 or higher would be worth it. Retaking it and scoring the same or lower would be very bad.

Whether or not the risk is worth the reward depends on what your personal goals are and what you think you would be able to accomplish. Also you must consider the time/resource investment of preparing for the exam all over again.

I have a 509 and 3.95 with only 2 II, no acceptance, and no II from 6 public in states (Florida). My average MCAT is below all of my in-state schools except FSU so it seems to me the smartest thing to do would be to retake the MCAT in case I have to reapply. I already signed up for an April MCAT just in case.

what about the rest of your application? things you can improve upon if you reapply? personal statement? secondaries? interview skills? if you got two II, it means schools believe you can handle the academic rigor of medical school so retaking the mcat would only be beneficial if you can get a 515+ or something... if this is your first time applying, I'd at least apply one more cycle before considering a retake, I also had to apply twice... imho the risks of retaking a 509 outweigh the benefits

really sorry to dig this up guys...I got a 509 as well (127/129/126/127) and am strongly considering retaking because I know I can do better + my practice score average was 513. Only difference between OP and I is that my GPA is very borderline. 3.46 sGPA and cGPA. Would you guys still advise against a retake? I know I'm fine for DO but I am worried about my MD chances. Thoughts @Goro ?

Also, I'm from California.
I cannot recommend to retake. I always get nervous when I hear people say "I know I can do better,"

A high MCAT not remediate your below average GPA, unless you have a massive Rising GPA trend

You're fine for MD if you target schools where your gpas are above their 10th percentiles for acceptees. But your best bet right now is to go DO.

Also for MD, you you will have better luck targeting the schools that are service loving schools, and so bulk up on the service extracurriculars

I cannot recommend to retake. I always get nervous when I hear people say "I know I can do better,"

A high MCAT not remediate your below average GPA, unless you have a massive Rising GPA trend

You're fine for MD if you target schools where your gpas are above their 10th percentiles for acceptees. But your best bet right now is to go DO.

Also for MD, you you will have better luck targeting the schools that are service loving schools, and so bulk up on the service extracurriculars

Last edited:
I do have a pretty big GPA trend, its a nike swoosh trend with a little dip during my sophomore year (3.21/2.93/3.55/3.90) + 3.85 (a few post-bacc classes). Let's say I retake and manage a 515+. Would this help my chances a lot at MD schools? Also, would retaking a 509 and doing well hurt my chances at a DO? Since a 509 is a solid DO score, wouldn't they see that and question why I even wanted to retake that score in the first place?
1. Yes
2. No

Scores expire.

No. Your GPA is good, and you have a good MCAT score.

Also your score has to be an increase of half the standard deviation, 5 points, to represent any meaningful improvement.

@Goro Is there a list anywhere of which schools are often seen as service loving schools specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really sorry to dig this up guys...I got a 509 as well (127/129/126/127) and am strongly considering retaking because I know I can do better + my practice score average was 513. Only difference between OP and I is that my GPA is very borderline. 3.46 sGPA and cGPA. Would you guys still advise against a retake? I know I'm fine for DO but I am worried about my MD chances. Thoughts @Goro ?

Also, I'm from California.
I full sent my MCAT score that was lower than yours and applied only MD with much success (11 MD interviews --> 3 A's). I had a higher GPA (3.7ish) and some stellar EC's.

Also a California native, best advice I got from here is apply broadly and realistically. As stated also look into service oriented schools, and define what your goal is. My goal was simply to become a doctor and I didn't care which school I got into as long as they were an accredited MD program. Others target a specific school and tailor their app to that.

@Goro Is there a list anywhere of which schools are often seen as service loving schools specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
offhand, I believe it includes the following:
Drexel
Albany
SLU
Creighton
BU
Tulane
Netter
Loyola
Rush
Gtown
EVMS
Keck
UCSF
Miami
maybe WVU (as in service to rural communities)
The HBCs (with significant service to African-American communities)
UTx-RV (with service to Hispanic communities)
East TN/Quillan (for military service)
UCD (for people in CA for the Central Valley)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey op, I retook a 519 and got a 520. I think showing adcoms that I was willing to give go back and put in the work when I wasn’t satisfied with my score was really what led to my acceptance.

/s

• Haha