This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the Official "Should I Retake"" Thread Part 2
This is an updated from: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-should-i-retake-thread.412739/ (created on June 14, 2007 and retired on December 20, 2018) in favor of a post that is catered for Retake advice for the New Post-2015 MCAT!

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision.

Template:
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown):
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
  3. State/Country of residence (optional):
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
  6. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?
Definitely Retake:
  • Scores <495
  • Scores with a subsection of 120 or lower
  • if you scored substantially below your practice Full-length examinations and think you can do better.
  • if your current score does not allow you to reach your target medical school goal (both your GPA and MCAT are below your goal score and your ECs are not spectacular).
  • if you know you could do better and have the time/money to prep for a retake
  • if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
  • if you took performed poorly on a section you did not take a pre-req class for: (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic, one semester of biochemistry and psychology) and/or took the exam without studying for it.
  • if you know what went wrong in your prep the first time and can fix the issue when prepping for a retake.
  • if you left large numbers of questions blank/ran out of time.
Retake only in some circumstances depending on your goal:
  • if you scored a 512 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were a 125 or better
  • if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the CARS section.
  • if you scored well overall but with one section below a 123.
  • if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
  • if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range 500-510.
Thanks to @MCATKINGS for updating this thread.

Previous Discussions on Should I Retake can be found here:
Forum Members - Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Your average score is a 508 and most folks score +/- 2-3 points on the exam. If you’re really shooting for a higher score, I would not retake the exam so soon But wait till february or March next year. The single biggest mistake my students used to make is to take the exam too soon after a disappointing score. The risks are simply too great to rush it.

Your average score is a 508 and most folks score +/- 2-3 points on the exam. If you’re really shooting for a higher score, I would not retake the exam so soon But wait till february or March next year. The single biggest mistake my students used to make is to take the exam too soon after a disappointing score. The risks are simply too great to rush it.
Hi Thanks for the response! I appreciate the advice. The only reason I'd consider retaking it so soon is because I typically score 3 to 6 points higher on the CARS section but only scored worse this time because I was distracted by the coughing test proctor and messed up my timing, I didn't have time to read the last passage and only skimmed the second to last passage... this had never happened to me before.

With this in mind, do you think it would still be too early to retake in September? I was thinking I could aim to just try and score about the same in all sections and just score better in CARS, closer to where I usually scored in CARS.

I don’t think just improving your cars score 2 or 3 points is sufficient. For a retake to impact your application you typically need 5-6 points or more. Anything less than that is seen as confirmation of the first score or expected improvement with a second attempt. Putting aside your cars score for a second, your CP and BB averages are quite worrisome with only two practice subsection scores of 126 or higher in each. Given that, it is very possible you could see improvement in cars and a decrease in other sections of the exam. If you had been a student I was tutoring I would have advised you to push your test date back until you were scoring in the 128 range on all sections of the exam.

As an aside, the rest of your app sounds competitive. I also am a nontrad and a former ESL teacher. If I were in your position I would apply as is and plan on retaking the mcat this spring in case your cycle is unsuccessful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think just improving your cars score 2 or 3 points is sufficient. For a retake to impact your application you typically need 5-6 points or more. Anything less than that is seen as confirmation of the first score or expected improvement with a second attempt. Putting aside your cars score for a second, your CP and BB averages are quite worrisome with only two practice subsection scores of 126 or higher in each. Given that, it is very possible you could see improvement in cars and a decrease in other sections of the exam. If you had been a student I was tutoring I would have advised you to push your test date back until you were scoring in the 128 range on all sections of the exam.

As an aside, the rest of your app sounds competitive. I also am a nontrad and a former ESL teacher. If I were in your position I would apply as is and plan on retaking the mcat this spring in case your cycle is unsuccessful.

Thank you so much for the advice! I have decided to do as you suggested and try for this cycle with my current MCAT, see what happens, and retake if I have to in the spring. I really appreciate all of the help. Best of luck to you!

Hello all, I would like some advice. I recently took the mcat and got my score back.... which was not pretty, even though I felt confident walking out of the exam (503). I rescheduled my mcat for three weeks from now.

First question is, I have already submitted a few secondaries... should I email the schools that I have already submitted my secondaries to about my mcat retake so that they could hold off reviewing my application?

My final question is, do you all have any advice for me to improve my score? I already used all my FL practice tests, SB, quacks, etc....

Thank you.

Last edited:
A) are you sure you’re ready to take it again? If you scored well on your practice tests but didn’t do well on the real thing, was it due to things you could control vs needing more time to study the material/overcome test anxiety?

B) don’t email the schools. They’re inundated with emails right now and they are free to review your app whenever they see fit. This is why people generally recommend not submitting until you have your MCAT scores. MD schools will know you have an upcoming MCAT, I’m not sure about DO.

C) improving your score will depend on why you didn’t get as good of a score as expected. Was it content review? Nerves?

Hello all, I would like some advice. I recently took the mcat and got my score back.... which was not pretty, even though I felt confident walking out of the exam. I rescheduled my mcat for three weeks from now.

First question is, I have already submitted a few secondaries... should I email the schools that I have already submitted my secondaries to about my mcat retake so that they could hold off reviewing my application?

My final question is, do you all have any advice for me to improve my score? I already used all my FL practice tests, SB, quacks, etc....

Thank you.
We really can't give you advice without knowing your score.

A) are you sure you’re ready to take it again? If you scored well on your practice tests but didn’t do well on the real thing, was it due to things you could control vs needing more time to study the material/overcome test anxiety?

B) don’t email the schools. They’re inundated with emails right now and they are free to review your app whenever they see fit. This is why people generally recommend not submitting until you have your MCAT scores. MD schools will know you have an upcoming MCAT, I’m not sure about DO.

C) improving your score will depend on why you didn’t get as good of a score as expected. Was it content review? Nerves?

My scores were generally well distributed for the science sections, but my CARS score (123) brought my score in general down. My practice tests were usually 508, but idk what happened.

I already resubmitted my AMCAS application with the new test date, so I guess you said it's fine to not email them?

Personally I would not retake a 515 especially if you were only scoring 2-3 points above that on FLs. I understand you are a little bummed, but in the grand scheme that's still a great score! Not sure about the screens for CARS though, someone else will have to chime in.

My scores were generally well distributed for the science sections, but my CARS score (123) brought my score in general down. My practice tests were usually 508, but idk what happened.

I already resubmitted my AMCAS application with the new test date, so I guess you said it's fine to not email them?
You won’t really be achieving anything by contacting them. It’s up to the school if they’re going to wait for your new score or not to review your application, they will know you have a new test coming.

To be honest, a 503 is not drastically different from a 508. You should only retake the mcat if you show improvement, and getting within 5 points of your practice scores is not unheard of. If you retake and you only raise it marginally or get the same score or worse, you’re just validating your first score. And a 503 is not bad for DO schools, did you apply to any?

You won’t really be achieving anything by contacting them. It’s up to the school if they’re going to wait for your new score or not to review your application, they will know you have a new test coming.

To be honest, a 503 is not drastically different from a 508. You should only retake the mcat if you show improvement, and getting within 5 points of your practice scores is not unheard of. If you retake and you only raise it marginally or get the same score or worse, you’re just validating your first score. And a 503 is not bad for DO schools, did you apply to any?

Yes, I applied to 4 DO schools. My GPA is on the lower end (3.43) so I was hoping to compensate by doing better on the MCAT. I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to get into a DO school either because of my GPA + MCAT combo

You're right that a 124 in CARS will get you screened out at some schools. Still, it's always hard to recommend retaking a great score like a 515. I would study more and prepare to retake but only retake if you're score consistent 128+s in CARS while maintaining your overall score (hopefully improving overall score).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, sorry, forgot to include that, but my score was 503, but i was averaging around 508-509...
What are your section breakdowns? You mentioned a 123 in CARS, but nothing about the sciences. Personally, I would applying to a lot more DO schools than 4

I'm actually on the same boat. Took MCAT on 8/1, and my CARS score is 124, but the overall score is similar to yours.
I'm applying for this cycle, so I hope that my low CARS score won't affect my application too negatively.
I think unless you are targeting top schools, you won't need a retake or only retake if you think you can get better CARS score as well as the overall one.
I'm also worried about being screened due to my CARS score, so if anyone can tell me about this, I will really appreciate it!

I just got my MCAT score back today and I got 513 (131/123/129/130), completely crashed on the CARS...My CARS score for the full lengths on AAMC (124, 121, 126, 125). CARS for me really is a hit or miss. I was planning to apply this cycle but due to immigration delays, now I have to wait until the 2022 cycle. I have been waiting for my permanent residency since October last year. The pandemic and President Trump's executive orders are causing massive delays for my green card. I am really torn about whether or not to retake the exam. MN resident and not looking to go to any ivy schools. Aiming for UMN twin cities.

I did my undergraduate abroad and moved to the U.S. for graduate school. I have a Ph.D. in organic/medicinal chemistry and currently doing a NIH postdoc doing medically related research. Started volunteering and shadowing early this year but those programs have been suspended because of COVID-so not a lot of hours. Produced 6 first-author publication in good journals in graduate school, did TA and tutoring, pretty standard graduate school stuff. My graduate school GPA is 3.67 and currently taking some classes because most schools do not accept prereq courses taken outside of the U.S. Currently maintaining all As in my classes.

I feel that the 123 is really concerning and could hurt my chances? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

What are your section breakdowns? You mentioned a 123 in CARS, but nothing about the sciences. Personally, I would applying to a lot more DO schools than 4

My breakdown was 127/123/126/127. CP/CARS/BB/PS. What schools do you suggest then? I applied to NYITCOM, Rowan, Touro CA, and Touro NY. Thanks!

Yes, I applied to 4 DO schools. My GPA is on the lower end (3.43) so I was hoping to compensate by doing better on the MCAT. I’m a little worried that I won’t be able to get into a DO school either because of my GPA + MCAT combo
You should be fine for DO. Avoid those schools on my Bad Boys list.

Reactions: 1 user
-Moved to states when I was 19 from Cuba in 2013
- From FSW: 1 rec letter from bio II, 1 from humanities From UF: 1 from PI and 1 from biochemistry after TAing
-From Florida. 7 years in the country. 26 years old
How's it looking? I applied this cycle to 6DOs and 29MDs. I will be happy to get into FIU
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 496 (123,122,124,127)-----> 508 (126,127,127,128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): AACOMAS GPAs: All years above 3.5 Cum: 3.84 Science: 3.74
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): Florida
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): URM (Hispanic) (Immigrant from Cuba)
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): FIU
    1. year in military service in Cuba living and working in the military bases's clinic. Worked along 2 doctors, 1 nurse, 1 DMD (4500 hours) (clinical hours)
    2. -worked part-time throughout undergrad at Target for almost five years (too many hours) (Paid employment)
    3. 90 hours obtaining first responder certification and shadowing emts and firefighters of Gainesville (kinda volunteering)
    4. research (2880 hours) First author manuscript under peer-review in Journal of neuroscience research. I did this while doing an immigration process for my mother before applying to med school now- two cycles later (graduated UF 2018)
    5. biochemistry TA at UF (78 hours)
    6. english writing tutor at FSW (780 hours) (Paid Employment)
    7. currently shadowinng MD at a pathology lab and looking to get a job in healthcare soon until matriculation hopefully
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I was doing too much. Research+becoming a US citizen+ immigration process of my mom+mcat studying. All this was money and time draining. I postponed application until the current cycle.
  8. Do you know/think you can do better?: I do not have the money for it

- From FSW: 1 rec letter from bio II, 1 from humanities From UF: 1 from PI and 1 from biochemistry after TAing
How's it looking? I applied this cycle to 6DOs and 29MDs. I will be happy to get into FIU
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s) (with section wise breakdown): 496 (123,122,124,127)-----> 508 (126,127,127,128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA): AACOMAS GPAs: All years above 3.5 Cum: 3.84 Science: 3.74
    1. year in military service in Cuba living and working in the military bases's clinic. Worked along 2 doctors, 1 nurse, 1 DMD (4500 hours) (clinical hours)
    2. -worked part-time throughout undergrad at Target for almost five years (too many hours) (Paid employment)
    3. 90 hours obtaining first responder certification and shadowing emts and firefighters of Gainesville (kinda volunteering)
    4. research (2880 hours) First author manuscript under peer-review in Journal of neuroscience research. I did this while doing an immigration process for my mother before applying to med school now- two cycles later (graduated UF 2018)
    7. currently shadowinng MD at a pathology lab and looking to get a job in healthcare soon until matriculation hopefully
  7. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time: I was doing too much. Research+becoming a US citizen+ immigration process of my mom+mcat studying. All this was money and time draining. I postponed application until the current cycle.
What exactly was the purpose of this

I am also not 100% clear if you're asking if you should retake, but if that is the case, you should absolutely not retake. Great job with the score increase to a 508! That is actually FIU's average so that, plus all your other experience, makes you a fantastic applicant!

1. 2019: 502 - 126/127/123/126
2. 2020: 511: 127/128/128(Bio)/128

CGPA and sGPA both at 3.85

Indiana

I know I made stupid mistakes in chem because I knew which discretes I missed or switched last second for no reason - was scoring 515+ in full lengths

Chem was previously my best section in full lengths with scores of 130 so those dumb mistakes hurt

Trying to apply md

1. 2019: 502 - 126/127/123/126
2. 2020: 511: 127/128/128(Bio)/128

CGPA and sGPA both at 3.85

Indiana

I know I made stupid mistakes in chem because I knew which discretes I missed or switched last second for no reason - was scoring 515+ in full lengths

Chem was previously my best section in full lengths with scores of 130 so those dumb mistakes hurt

Trying to apply md
No.

Hey all, so I took my MCAT 8/29 and I just got my score today.

- 509 (130, 124, 127, 128)

2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
- CGPA = 3.91 and sGPA = ~3.88
Currently going into my final year as an undergrad at a large private university so GPA is basically set at this point

- Massachusetts

4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?)
- First-gen URM

-T20s

- In terms of other stats I'm pretty competitive when it comes to research (1000+ hours, and 3 pubs, 3 posters, 2 presentations, undergrad thesis), clinical hours (500+ hours as an EMT & ~ 200 hours of Hospital volunteering), various leadership roles in clubs, 300+ hours of volunteering, several research awards/honors, etc...

- Was studying while working full-time (~35 hours a week) which I regret now that I look back at it. Started off studying during classes which was going great but once work started in the Summer (didn't have an option, had to pay rent somehow), it was really hard to study. FL average was ~514 but with a descending trend (Sample,1,2,3,4: 516, 514, 512, 515, 511) also with a CARS average around ~127 (Sample,1,2,3,4: 130, 128, 129, 124, 124). UPlanet averages (70%) and SB scores (75%). NS exam average was 509 (nice).

- Overall, I'm super grateful for my score, but at the same time really torn because I was really looking for a 515+ to apply to some T20s.
Ideally, I wanted to retake in January or March where I could devote full-time to MCAT studying, and hopefully shoot for that 515+ because I really think I just wasn't in the right mindset and got burned out (which is why I think I had the descending trend). Does this seem like a good idea or would I be shooting myself in the foot retaking a 509?

- In terms of answering the question, I know I can do better. I feel like this score has knocked my ego down where I feel like I understand what I need to do if I want to retake this exam.
I dont think you need to retake it as your score + GPA + URM status will get you in somewhere. However, I doubt it will be a T20 school.

Edit: I suppose its not impossible though.

Hey all, so I took my MCAT 8/29 and I just got my score today.

- 509 (130, 124, 127, 128)

- CGPA = 3.91 and sGPA = ~3.88
Currently going into my final year as an undergrad at a large private university so GPA is basically set at this point

- Massachusetts

4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?)
- First-gen URM

-T20s

- In terms of other stats I'm pretty competitive when it comes to research (1000+ hours, and 3 pubs, 3 posters, 2 presentations, undergrad thesis), clinical hours (500+ hours as an EMT & ~ 200 hours of Hospital volunteering), various leadership roles in clubs, 300+ hours of volunteering, several research awards/honors, etc...

- Was studying while working full-time (~35 hours a week) which I regret now that I look back at it. Started off studying during classes which was going great but once work started in the Summer (didn't have an option, had to pay rent somehow), it was really hard to study. FL average was ~514 but with a descending trend (Sample,1,2,3,4: 516, 514, 512, 515, 511) also with a CARS average around ~127 (Sample,1,2,3,4: 130, 128, 129, 124, 124). UPlanet averages (70%) and SB scores (75%). NS exam average was 509 (nice).

- Overall, I'm super grateful for my score, but at the same time really torn because I was really looking for a 515+ to apply to some T20s.
Ideally, I wanted to retake in January or March where I could devote full-time to MCAT studying, and hopefully shoot for that 515+ because I really think I just wasn't in the right mindset and got burned out (which is why I think I had the descending trend). Does this seem like a good idea or would I be shooting myself in the foot retaking a 509?

- In terms of answering the question, I know I can do better. I feel like this score has knocked my ego down where I feel like I understand what I need to do if I want to retake this exam.
Definitely not impossible to get into T20 with this application, but it will be an uphill battle. That being said, retaking the MCAT is a LONG and STRESSFUL process. Your practice exam scores look like they represented your actually score as well. All of that said, we would not recommend retaking the exam!

Got my score back today and need to hear some other opinions. I was expecting a somewhat low score coming out of the exam given how bad I felt during CARS, but unsure what to do at this point. I'm a senior this year and the plan was to work on essays this year and apply super early. I don't have a very good plan of what I want to do during gap year, and I'm a little concerned if I don't get in next year's cycle and end up having to do two gap years, I will be pressed for money/something to do and will end up considering the black hole of paramedic school.
  1. What are your previous MCAT Score(s): 510 (130/123/129/128)
  2. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA): cGPA: 3.86 sGPA: 3.78 One semester of not very difficult classes left, so should stay equal if not improve.
  3. State/Country of residence (optional): midwest
  4. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?): Caucasian
  5. Goal Med school (Tier/goal): Mid/higher level state MD schools. Number one is my in-state public school, which has a 512 matriculant average.
    • 1200+ hours volunteering as clinic manager of a free clinic in underserved area. Also included some public health work to organize fairs for various state sponsored programs of health screenings, vaccinations, dental procedures, covid swabbing.
    • 900 clinical hours working as EMT in hospital and on ambulance
    • 600 lab hours, published as third author, undergrad thesis will be also published this year
    • 300 undergrad TA hours
    • 100 shadowing hours
    • Very solid LORs
    • CARS has always been a huge toss-up for me depending on the passages. Art/humanities passages have always been insanely had to retain info from the passage, and I always lose a lot of time having to go back for every question.
    • Have never had a psych/soc class, self studied off khan document/kaplan. Definitely could do better as I knew there were terms during the test that I had briefly seen but ended up not remembering.
    • Disappointed because this was much lower than all of my FLs. I had a 517 average, and the lowest CARS was a 126.
    • Does having English as a second language cut me any slack on CARS? Or is that not a consideration?
    • I have IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome), and despite all I did to prepare (eating only foods I know are tame for three days before, and taking pepto right before), I was still very distracted by a flare-up during CARS. Definitely ended up losing concentration and rushing during CARS trying to get to the bathroom.
      • I haven't tried to find out yet, but does anyone know if MCAT would make any accommodation for this (longer breaks and/or permission to pause a section to use the bathroom?)

Hi everyone,

I just received a 516 (129, 127, 130, 130) on the MCAT. I am happy with my score and I know that it is great. However, my CARS FL average was a 131 and my FL scores were 521, 524, 525, 525.
I am a bit concerned about my score drop in CARS (I started to run out of time and panicked / made very poor decisions to make up for time...). I believe that retaking would be foolish given my other section scores are good, but I just thought I would ask for some advice on my CARS score, since I do not have any friends/advisors to ask for help on premed topics! I have heard some schools may have an unofficial CARS cutoff of 128, though just through word of mouth so not sure how reliable that is.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Some schools do have a cutoff at 128 for CARS, but that's mostly at Ontario schools in Canada. The fact is, you got a good score. There are always going to be schools for whatever reason aren't going to like you're application, but you really shouldn't dwell on the things you can't control (such as a particular school's CARS score cutoff, because you'll just think you're inadequate or a failure). That score is more than enough to open doors at all sorts of good schools.

Some schools do have a cutoff at 128 for CARS, but that's mostly at Ontario schools in Canada. The fact is, you got a good score. There are always going to be schools for whatever reason aren't going to like you're application, but you really shouldn't dwell on the things you can't control (such as a particular school's CARS score cutoff, because you'll just think you're inadequate or a failure). That score is more than enough to open doors at all sorts of good schools.

Last edited:
If you don't have time to answer this it's no problem at all, but would my score be competitive for schools with CP, BB, PS averages ~130 with higher overall MCAT averages (519 ish) since my non-CARS section scores match those, or is overall score more important? My GPA and activities are very strong, but I'm just not sure how much overall vs. section scores matter.
?????? I'm not sure 3 points would make that much difference anywhere, but, to the extent it would, no, no school takes the average of your 3 highest subsections and drops the 4th! :laugh: Overall score is definitely the most important. That's why the test has all 4 sections. Subsection cutoffs are to make sure you have a base level of proficiency in each subsection.

A 516, with nothing below a 127, should be acceptable everywhere, so please stop obsessing on something you can't control, but no, 516 is not 520, 127 is not 130, and nobody is going to give you credit for something you didn't get.

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't have time to answer this it's no problem at all, but would my score be competitive for schools with CP, BB, PS averages ~130 with higher overall MCAT averages (519 ish) since my non-CARS section scores match those, or is overall score more important? My GPA and activities are very strong, but I'm just not sure how much overall vs. section scores matter.

Remember MSAR lists the range of mcat scores. If you’re within the 10 or 25 percent band then you have a chance. It would be better if you were in the 90, 75, or 50 percent bands but many folks are accepted who are not.

Dang bro, only a 127 in CARS with a 516 overall? Sheesh man I think your best bet is the Caribbean at this point. (major sarcasm)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Preparing to retake but I want to know if it's really necessary...
  1. 2020: 506 (128/124/127/127)
  2. Both GPA's are 3.77
  3. North Carolina
  4. Caucasian
  5. Any MD school (Brody School of Medicine)
  6. 4-year athlete/EMT/shadowing/100 hr research/planning to volunteer more during gap year
  7. uWorld, r/mcat, did all aamc material. Studied 3 months with The Princeton Review
  8. Having trouble deciding, I averaged 513 on my FL's but I got lower in every section that I don't know if I can do better.

Preparing to retake but I want to know if it's really necessary...
  1. 2020: 506 (128/124/127/127)
  2. Both GPA's are 3.77
  3. North Carolina
  4. Caucasian
  5. Any MD school (Brody School of Medicine)
  6. 4-year athlete/EMT/shadowing/100 hr research/planning to volunteer more during gap year
  7. uWorld, r/mcat, did all aamc material. Studied 3 months with The Princeton Review
  8. Having trouble deciding, I averaged 513 on my FL's but I got lower in every section that I don't know if I can do better.
Is it really necessary? That depends -- is MD really necessary? Is only going through one cycle really necessary? Only you can answer these questions!

4-year athlete definitely sets you apart. Other than that, nothing in your application distinguishes you, and your MCAT is far below average for Caucasian matriculants. If you can't do any better, you work with what you have. Otherwise, 511+ will open a number of additional possibilities for you.

Is it really necessary? That depends -- is MD really necessary? Is only going through one cycle really necessary? Only you can answer these questions!

4-year athlete definitely sets you apart. Other than that, nothing in your application distinguishes you, and your MCAT is far below average for Caucasian matriculants. If you can't do any better, you work with what you have. Otherwise, 511+ will open a number of additional possibilities for you.
Thanks for the response! What I mean by necessary is more like is it worth taking with the risk of getting the same score or lower

Thanks for the response! What I mean by necessary is more like is it worth taking with the risk of getting the same score or lower
I figured! What sport? Division I football or basketball will have much more impact than Division III lacrosse. :cool:

You never want to risk a lower score. I know the test is a monster, and nobody wants to retake if they don't have to. Going off your 513 FLs, I'm assuming you just had a bad day and it's not unrealistic to expect you to be able to do better on a retake, but only you know for sure. Did you take the FLs under test conditions, or did you give yourself breaks that you don't have on the real thing?

Bottom line -- don't retake if you aren't reasonably confident you can score 511+. 511 is the median for White matriculants. It's not impossible to be successful with a lower score, but, other than the sports, there is nothing else in your application that is strong enough to be confident that you will be successful for MD with a 506. You will be screened out at some schools with the 124.

Your options are to: (i) apply to DO in addition to MD, which will significantly increase your likelihood of success; (ii) take a shot MD only and retake and reapply if you are not successful; or (iii) retake before applying. You didn't apply this cycle, correct? If not, you have until next spring to figure it out!

Last edited:
I figured! What sport? Division I football or basketball will have much more impact than Division III lacrosse. :cool:

You never want to risk a lower score. I know the test is a monster, and nobody wants to retake if they don't have to. Going off your 513 FLs, I'm assuming you just had a bad day and it's not unrealistic to expect you to be able to do better on a retake, but only you know for sure. Did you take the FLs under test conditions, or did you give yourself breaks that you don't have on the real thing?

Bottom line -- don't retake if you aren't reasonably confident you can score 511+. 511 is the median for White matriculants. It's not impossible to be successful with a lower score, but, other than the sports, there is nothing else in your application that is strong enough to be confident that you will be successful for MD with a 506. You will be screen out at some schools with the 124.

Your options are to: (i) apply to DO in addition to MD, which will significantly increase your likelihood of success; (ii) take a shot MD only and retake and reapply if you are not successful; or (iii) retake before applying. You didn't apply this cycle, correct? If not, you have until next spring to figure it out!
It is Division III Swimming so it isn't like a D1 football team but I have multiple school records if that counts for anything. Besides that, I do plan on applying both DO and MD schools and I think I'll take your option number one which is to apply both MD and DO and if I don't get accepted I'll retake the MCAT and take two years off.
As for the MCAT, I made sure to stick to a somewhat harsh schedule (wake up at 5:30 to simulate the actual timing) and took the test with the allotted breaks but I was generous and gave myself an extra 5 minutes sometimes I won't lie.
I did not apply this cycle so I do have some time to figure this all out. Thanks!

It is Division III Swimming so it isn't like a D1 football team but I have multiple school records if that counts for anything. Besides that, I do plan on applying both DO and MD schools and I think I'll take your option number one which is to apply both MD and DO and if I don't get accepted I'll retake the MCAT and take two years off.
As for the MCAT, I made sure to stick to a somewhat harsh schedule (wake up at 5:30 to simulate the actual timing) and took the test with the allotted breaks but I was generous and gave myself an extra 5 minutes sometimes I won't lie.
I did not apply this cycle so I do have some time to figure this all out. Thanks!
Any sports is better than none, since most applicants don't have it and adcoms love the dedication, teamwork, leadership, working with others, etc. that they require. Not as much for swimming as for something like football or basketball that is higher profile and requires more teamwork, but still, and not as much D3 as D1 for obvious reasons. Still very impressive, and something relatively few applicants have. Multiple school records definitely count in anything, since they demonstrate achievement and excellence.

Just think long and hard about DO, and, if you do it, do it with no regrets. You will be very competitive for DO, so the odds are high you will not be a reapplicant in that case, given your stats and the rest of your application. If you want a better shot at MD, hunker down and retake the MCAT sometime between next March and May, so you can have the score back in time for an application next May or June. Given what you said about your FLs, the extra time might have skewed your scores, but it still sounds like you have a real shot at a 513+/- on a retake, and that really will change your expected outcome considerably. Did you have timing issues on your actual test?

Any sports is better than none, since most applicants don't have it and adcoms love the dedication, teamwork, leadership, working with others, etc. that they require. Not as much for swimming as for something like football or basketball that is higher profile and requires more teamwork, but still, and not as much D3 as D1 for obvious reasons. Still very impressive, and something relatively few applicants have. Multiple school records definitely count in anything, since they demonstrate achievement and excellence.

Just think long and hard about DO, and, if you do it, do it with no regrets. You will be very competitive for DO, so the odds are high you will not be a reapplicant in that case, given your stats and the rest of your application. If you want a better shot at MD, hunker down and retake the MCAT sometime between next March and May, so you can have the score back in time for an application next May or June. Given what you said about your FLs, the extra time might have skewed your scores, but it still sounds like you have a real shot at a 513+/- on a retake, and that really will change your expected outcome considerably. Did you have timing issues on your actual test?
Thanks! That is really valuable and means a lot. I don't have timing issues on any of the sections except cars where I usually end with 1-2 minutes to spare. But consistently never run out of time on any section.

Hi everyone,

I just received a 516 (129, 127, 130, 130) on the MCAT. I am happy with my score and I know that it is great. However, my CARS FL average was a 131 and my FL scores were 521, 524, 525, 525.
I am a bit concerned about my score drop in CARS (I started to run out of time and panicked / made very poor decisions to make up for time...). I believe that retaking would be foolish given my other section scores are good, but I just thought I would ask for some advice on my CARS score, since I do not have any friends/advisors to ask for help on premed topics! I have heard some schools may have an unofficial CARS cutoff of 128, though just through word of mouth so not sure how reliable that is.

Thanks so much!
You're pretty much finished with the MCAT. 516 and your 'weakness' is still solidly on the above average side.

Focus on the rest of your app and go get those acceptances!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I agree with everybody else here on SDN that retaking an MCAT of 516 is GENERALLY not advisable.

I have attached the pdf from the AAMC, of retakers with original MCAT score of 518+ there was no significant improvement in the MCAT scores. There was however an AVERAGE increase of 2-3 points for re-takers between 472-517. In the subgroup with scores 510-517, there were very few who had an increase of more than 4 points from their original score. We also know that some schools average and some schools take the higher MCAT, thus if you score 2 points more it wont make any significant impact in the schools which average it, in your academic credentials. Thus to have an impact on the overall application in these schools, your MCAT will need to improve by about 3-4 points at least.

The CONVENTIONAL wisdom on SDN is that getting into ANY medical school is ok, and you dont have to get into a top 20 school which are the ones that tend to have a median MCAT acceptance score of 519.

Thus, the only person (rarity) who should probably retake the MCAT with a baseline score of 516 , is a person who was scoring 4+ more average points on the FL , is ORM, and wants to get into a T20 school. Unless all 3 criteria are met, not sure it is wise to retake.

Attachments

• mcat retake.pdf
    136.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
517 (129/128/130/130)
  1. What is your GPA (w/ Science GPA) (If relevant: trend, uGPA/grad GPA/postbacc GPA)
3.83, science is a bit lower no trend
  1. State/Country of residence (optional):
MA
  1. Ethnicity (ORM/URM?):
ORM Asian
  1. Goal Med school (Tier/goal):
T10-20
  1. Include ECs/Other Relevant Info if you would like:
About 1 year research experience w/ one project
Shadowing in US is pretty low but have 50+ hours in Europe (trying to get more soon)
1 summer as patient transporter (clinical experience)
Lots of clubs and hobbies at school

1. Other Facts regarding your studying the first time:
Studied in the summer while also doing a research internship
  1. Do you know/think you can do better?
I definitely think I can do better.

So (like many others) I recently got my MCAT score back and I scored a 512 (127,129,128,128). I'm happy with my score, but it was definitely lower than my FLs. I am currently leaning towards not retaking because of the high CARS score- It has always been my strongest section but it would probably be tough to improve. I was really shooting for around 517 and I was hovering around that score from the FLs.

I am looking to apply next cycle and my grades aren't fantastic (sGPA 3.4/cGPA 3.65). However, I do go to to a T20 notorious for grade deflation.

I am a URM (hispanic, conversational Spanish speaker but wouldn't call myself fluent), have decent ECs and will definitely be working to improve them in my gap year. I am looking to apply to CA schools (I'm a resident), Tulane, BU, GWU, Einstein, NYMC etc.

I self studied for the MCAT using Kaplan books and the AAMC FLs but that's about it. My parents are willing to pay for a test prep program if needed, I was just wondering if people think its worth the risk. If I were to retake, I would want to do it around end of January before school starts.

I am currently leaning towards not retaking, although I do recognize that it means I will have to edit my school list accordingly. I just wanted to hear some other thoughts. Thanks.

Don't retake a 512. My Fl average was 518 and I scored a 515 on the real deal with CARS (usually my strongest section) dropping the lowest it ever went at a 127. As I'm sure a multitude of people will tell you, there is a great chance that you will retake and score lower. Be happy with the 512!!! It's still 85th percentile!

My parents are willing to pay for a test prep program if needed, I was just wondering if people think its worth the risk.

My man, you got a 512. You already "won" the MCAT, lol.
I did a 4.5 week intensive Kaplan online program. It's good for getting yourself into an intensive routine, but it is not useful for actually doing well on the MCAT. Kaplan does a great job teaching the content, but some of their test taking strategies are down right dangerous, if not malicious.

The instructors straight up informed our class that the majority of Kaplan students have very minimal improvement by the end of the 4.5 week intensive program, and that they experience up to a 10 point jump in the following month before their MCAT. I certainly had that experience (504 Kaplan to a 513 real) because I could target my practice and tailor to my weaknesses.

Reactions: 1 users
I cannot advise a retake. A 512 is a great score, and I think retaking the exam could be really risky. Assuming the rest of your app is strong and well-rounded, you should have a successful cycle.

see this thread