Should I study for the MCAT BEFORE taking a prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a junior currently taking a full course load and working in a lab doing research. I'm finishing up the last of my prereqs (physics) and I'm planning on doing a Kaplan on-site prep course from January-May with my plan to take the MCAT something like the end of May. Should I be studying this semester for the MCAT BEFORE starting the course? My course load will be significantly lighter this year, but I am willing to do anything to get the score I need.

Do I start now, or do I wait until January?

Members don't see this ad.

Prep courses are really only useful for people who can't motivate themselves to study by themselves. If you're able to study before a prep course then you don't need one. Don't waste the $2000. Also, you only need 3-4 months before the exam, anything you really do before hand will be a waste of time imo

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So then in that case I won't study before January. I've heard really great things about Kaplan, and standardized tests are not a strength of mine, so I think I'll need all the help I can get.

If standardized tests are not your strong suit, I'd say start studying earlier can't hurt.
I've heard that the test prep often focuses more on strategies instead of content review, so if you have reviewed basic knowledge before then, the test prep will help reinforce those.

Disclaimer: I have not taken Kaplan and plan to self-study.
So then in that case I won't study before January. I've heard really great things about Kaplan, and standardized tests are not a strength of mine, so I think I'll need all the help I can get.

Prep courses are usually terrible. They are a waste of money and spend too much time focusing on content review/random strategies, with practice problems basically left to be done on your own. You can self-study for the MCAT very effectively in your own, customized route and present any questions you have on the MCAT Discussion Forums.

If there is one advantage of a prep course, it is thanks to their available practice tests, which may not be reliable.

Right, this definitely varies from person to person.
Some people cannot focus even with a structured course, let alone self-study.
I will disagree with that. Everyone needs some sort of process to prep for the MCAT. For many self study works well. For others, a structured course with focus directly on the exam works very well. While it is $2000 dollars, when you look at the minimum $200,000 investment you will make in debt to medical school, it is 1% or a relative drop in the bucket

To me, the biggest advantage of a prep course is the wealth of resources available to you. I enrolled in an online Kaplan course, but I didn't spend too much time following their lectures. I used the included books and online resources to supplement my study plan. The books are okay, but I found the online content the most helpful. In the month before writing, I used the practice exams and Qbank extensively to assess weaknesses and decide on minor tweaks. I wish they would allow you to purchase access to these materials outside of paying for the actual class component, but right now that isn't an option. Every person is different, and every person requires a unique MCAT study strategy. My strategy relied heavily upon utilizing what Kaplan made available.