Should I take the MCAT earlier and apply earlier or take a little extra time to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babbitt4MVP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between June 1st and June 16th for my test date. I graduate in late April, so I'll have about 4 weeks to study full-time if I choose June 1st and 6 weeks to study if I choose June 16th. I realize that it takes about a month for med schools to receive MCAT scores, and they won't consider an application until it is complete. I've also heard that it is very advantageous to apply early. So my question is, should I devote an extra 2 weeks to studying and presumably end up with a slightly better score on the MCAT, or take it earlier and have my application reviewed earlier and stand a more favorable chance of getting accepted? In writing this out, I think I just answered my own question, but I would appreciate everyone's input regardless!

Members don't see this ad.

Opinions will probably vary and it will be case specific to you as a student... are you prepping at all now or during the spring semester? If not then my suggestion would be the 16th. I started my prep over winter break, in a similar circumstance as you, and I'm taking mine on June 17th. Only you know yourself as a student tho- just don't underestimate the breadth of material review and practice required on the MCAT

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile