Should Texas residents apply to other med schools not in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted962392

I'm curious if Texas residents need to apply to schools other than the ones in Texas. Obviously a Texas resident would have little/no chance getting into a state MD school, because they accept so few out of state applicants. My scores aren't competitive enough to go to an ivy league school, so they aren't considered. I just looked at the DO school average cost and its insane! The average cost for DO schools is $200,000+ which seems super high, so I'm not to keen on applying to DO schools.
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...6-17cost-of-attendance.pdf?sfvrsn=82b12897_17

With all these reasons I feel like only applying to Texas schools would be best? However, would only applying to Texas schools be a death wish? Should I apply to DO schools as well just to make the overall net wider?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious if Texas residents need to apply to schools other than the ones in Texas. Obviously a Texas resident would have little/no chance getting into a state MD school, because they accept so few out of state applicants. My scores aren't competitive enough to go to an ivy league school, so they aren't considered. I just looked at the DO school average cost and its insane! The average cost for DO schools is $200,000+ which seems super high, so I'm not to keen on applying to DO schools.
https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...6-17cost-of-attendance.pdf?sfvrsn=82b12897_17

With all these reasons I feel like only applying to Texas schools would be best? However, would only applying to Texas schools be a death wish? Should I apply to DO schools as well just to make the overall net wider?
What are your cGPA, BCPM GPA, and MCAT score?

I was a 72-74 Lizzy M Texas resident, received interviews at every Texas MD in the state, I did amcas, received an II to Baylor. Also applied to Florida schools, UCLA, Rush in Chicago, did not receive a single OOS interview and radio silence from all OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a 72-74 Lizzy M Texas resident, received interviews at every Texas MD in the state, I did amcas, received an II to Baylor. Also applied to Florida schools, UCLA, Rush in Chicago, did not receive a single OOS interview and radio silence from all OOS.

What was the rest of your OOS school list if you don’t mind posting?

And did you attend undergrad in TX?

If you did gap years were those in TX?

I did it all in texas, spent some gap year time out of stats though, that is all the OOS I applied to, UCLA, Rush, then most of the Florida schools

From my understanding low/mid tier schools are not receptive to applicants from Texas because we usually stay here. T10 may be a different story I just didn’t want to go to a t10.

I will say thought Baylor is a good school so my amcas wasn’t all a waste, and if you’re doing amcas anyways you can add a couple schools. But if you don’t want to go to Baylor then I would just apply Texas.

Reactions: 1 user
From my understanding low/mid tier schools are not receptive to applicants from Texas because we usually stay here. T10 may be a different story I just didn’t want to go to a t10.

Can confirm.
I got interviews from most of the Texas schools and I also applied to a lot of T25 schools. Silence/Rs from all of them except interviews from Baylor and 2 T10s. I wasn't expecting the T10s and haven't heard anything from the rest, which was really weird to me but I guess makes sense.

For Texans, your best bet is to just apply to Texas schools since there are already so many of them haha. Unless you're gunning for T10

For most, I'd say stick to Texas, though I received an II at most OOS schools I applied to (and all TX schools)

For most, I'd say stick to Texas, though I received an II at most OOS schools I applied to (and all TX schools)
I would wager that going OOS for undergrad might make it seem that you are open to going OOS for med school as well, thereby decreasing the bias against you as well. Just a theory

I listened to this bias and applied to 2 OOS and Baylor... got the II from Harvard and R post secondary from UCSF, radio silence from Baylor, so honestly it’s just random but I would say apply if you want to, you might have something they like!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most Texan applicants are well-advised to apply to all TX MD and DO schools and can safely skip anything OOS. Really, only two types of Texans should consider applying elsewhere:
  • Those who are competitive for top 10 schools, who care enough about the added prestige to pay for it, and
  • Those who are of below-average competitiveness, who should apply broadly to DO schools.
A Texan of average or better competitiveness is likely to be accepted to one or more of Texas's high-quality-but-bargain-priced medical schools. Other medical schools know this, so are reluctant to dilute their finite interview resources to include applicants who are unlikely to matriculate.

Most Texan applicants are well-advised to apply to all TX MD and DO schools and can safely skip anything OOS. Really, only two types of Texans should consider applying elsewhere:
  • Those who are competitive for top 10 schools, who care enough about the added prestige to pay for it, and
  • Those who are of below-average competitiveness, who should apply broadly to DO schools.
A Texan of average or better competitiveness is likely to be accepted to one or more of Texas's high-quality-but-bargain-priced medical schools. Other medical schools know this, so are reluctant to dilute their finite interview resources to include applicants who are unlikely to matriculate.

For purposes of this rule of thumb, should one rely primarily on GPA/MCAT to determine competitiveness for top ten schools?

For purposes of this rule of thumb, should one rely primarily on GPA/MCAT to determine competitiveness for top ten schools?

That's clearly the first cut, but the tippy top schools also like something extra that makes you stand out -- leadership, volunteerism, meaningful research, diversity. It isn't absolutely required, but it ups your odds.

GPA >3.9 MCAT >520 if ORM
GPA >3.7 MCAT >515 if URM

If you're in or around these two categories, both with strong ECs I would try your luck OOS.

I know this thread is years old, but does this advice still stand in 2022?

Adding to this, I'm a CA resident however went to TX for undergrad and 95% of my ECs are from Texas. Will I get a negative bias applying AMCAS? I didn't apply to any TX schools and I'm wondering, should I now? Am I too late? MCAT 519 GPA 4.00 strong research + connection to UTSW.

Adding to this, I'm a CA resident however went to TX for undergrad and 95% of my ECs are from Texas. Will I get a negative bias applying AMCAS? I didn't apply to any TX schools and I'm wondering, should I now? Am I too late? MCAT 519 GPA 4.00 strong research + connection to UTSW.
You may get a warm response in TX.
It is the opposite that is a clear disadvantage (good, but not great TX applicants applying OOS).

Can confirm as of now that the advice is still pretty relevant. If you're a Texas resident with good but not great stats (518-520) range and especially as ORM, most OOS schools will be a waste of money. At the very most, apply to a few top schools if you want to shoot your shot but skip the other OOS state schools/mid tiers since you're just wasting your time writing secondaries/spending money unless for some reason you really can't stand cheap texas tuition.

As a TX resident who got 2 OOS IIs without sky-high stats, I still only think you should apply to AMCAS schools if you have competitive stats for each school and at least two of the following:

-3.8+ & 520+ if ORM, or the relative equivalent if URM

-Pretty strong ECs and narrative, i.e. not just checking the boxes with tons of hours

-T20 undergrad

-a very strong connection with the school/state or the school's mission