This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brc007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying to medical school and I am planning on getting a sleeve. I am also hoping to get into the Radiology field once medical school is completed. I was wondering people's opinions on this matter and whether you think It is a big deal during medical school and residency as long as you wear long sleeves under your scrubs. Does anyone have personal experience or someone they know that has been in a similar situation or with sleeves? Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

You would be fine during preclinical years and in radiology. You will probably experience negative repercussions as a student on rotations such as surgery or ob-gyn that require you to scrub for the OR.

Just wait til you're in residency to get it.

-3rd year with visible tattoo.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You would be fine during preclinical years and in radiology. You will probably experience negative repercussions as a student on rotations such as surgery or ob-gyn that require you to scrub for the OR.
FWIW I honored surgery, HP OB/GYN and no one mentioned it there. However, there's been plenty of judgements and passive aggressiveness at other times. Administrator types seem to be most displeased. So I suggest OP wait.

Reactions: 3 users
I have visible tattoos and have yet to have anything negative, but I'm not too far along yet. With that said, I've also worked with an attending with sleeves.

I'd be weary on getting a sleeve at this point since you don't already have anything, but if its something meaningful and can't see it placed elsewhere, think about getting it done in pieces maybe? Start with your shoulder/upper arm that is easily covered (at least mostly) with short sleeves. Just an idea though.

If you do, you won't see any issues until rotations most likely, and with few exceptions, you could always wear long sleeve shirts/long sleeve t's under scrubs, etc - again with a few exceptions where you will have arms exposed.

So I am applying to medical school and I am planning on getting a sleeve. I am also hoping to get into the Radiology field once medical school is completed. I was wondering people's opinions on this matter and whether you think It is a big deal during medical school and residency as long as you wear long sleeves under your scrubs. Does anyone have personal experience or someone they know that has been in a similar situation or with sleeves? Please let me know.

You can't wear long sleeves under scrubs in many situations. I am all for free expression and people getting whatever tattoos they feel like. However, the practical reality is that it can harm you going forward. How much is difficult to say, because it depends on a whole host of factors, but ultimately a personal decision.

There is no way to prove any of this, but... I have very strong suspicions that two MS4s last residency application season did not match into IVS based mostly on their piercings, tattoos and hair colors. I know their applications and even interviewed them myself and know that they were at least competitive stats/LOR wise. Personally, it isn't worth the risk, but everyone has their own priorities and risk tolerances.

Reactions: 7 users
I have my Step 1 score tattooed on my chest to make sure that it defines me. You can see it with scrubs. I get mocked a lot. Don't do it.

Reactions: 18 users
You can't wear long sleeves under scrubs in many situations.
Yep - straight up forbidden at my institution.

I have a decent sized visible tattoo on the inside of a bicep. I can't hide it when scrubbing for surgery or before being gowned in the OR which made me self conscious initially. But I ended up matching at my top choice (in general surgery). If I could do it over again I would wait until after matching, but I got it before I even decided to go to med school. I still like having it though.

I have full sleeves. Never ran into any issues however most people have tact not to say anything, and my arms are two single pieces that cover my entire arms. They aren't offensive but they obviously weren't a spur of the moment drunken decision. I also work at a hospital that allows visible tattoos and did my rotations at another one that allowed them.

In my situation, my sleeves are memorable and that makes me memorable. At my hospital, I am the resident with sleeves. My mother happens to be friends with a board member and when she said her son was a resident with tattoos, the board member responded with "oh yeah everyone knows him and we love him."

When I am in clinic, I always wear long sleeves. And if I am able to wear short sleeves but my superior prefers I don't, I don't. I don't push it and I am always respectful. I am aware of the mentality and don't try to make waves and change minds.

Reactions: 4 users
I have full sleeves. Never ran into any issues however most people have tact not to say anything, and my arms are two single pieces that cover my entire arms. They aren't offensive but they obviously weren't a spur of the moment drunken decision. I also work at a hospital that allows visible tattoos and did my rotations at another one that allowed them.

In my situation, my sleeves are memorable and that makes me memorable. At my hospital, I am the resident with sleeves. My mother happens to be friends with a board member and when she said her son was a resident with tattoos, the board member responded with "oh yeah everyone knows him and we love him."

When I am in clinic, I always wear long sleeves. And if I am able to wear short sleeves but my superior prefers I don't, I don't. I don't push it and I am always respectful. I am aware of the mentality and don't try to make waves and change minds.

The bold would have been a fine post as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The medical field is still quite a conservative one, but attitudes are changing. I have a friend who's now a PGY-2 orthopod and has had a half-sleeve tattoo for years prior to matching. I know a plastics attending who has multiple tattoos on both arms.

If you want to play it safe, get them after matching.

Reactions: 1 user
Just another point to add, some hospitals flat out won't let you work or rotate there if you've got visible tattoos. I'm currently rotating at a hospital where the policy is no visible tattoos or facial piercings. The contract/agreement to rotate there actually had "no exceptions" in bold after their professionalism policy. Imo, at this point in your career it's just not worth limiting your options.

FWIW I honored surgery, HP OB/GYN and no one mentioned it there. However, there's been plenty of judgements and passive aggressiveness at other times. Administrator types seem to be most displeased. So I suggest OP wait.

Now I am seriously considering getting a sleeve