This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyads

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently in a one-year, 37-credit SMP at a new DO school (3rd cycle coming up) in Texas. I had moved to the area due to a military partner and was hoping to pursue medical education again after 3 years out of school. I found out the medical school I was interested in had a master's program and I thought it would be a great opportunity to boost my GPA and give me time to improve my MCAT. I had never applied to any medical school before due to my low MCAT scores:

September 2014 | 20
June 2016 | 493
August 2018 | 497

January 2019 | 504

Unfortunately, I didn't know what an SMP was at the time and definitely didn't know that this master's program was going to be such a risk. Now, being in the program (at a brand new medical school)... I find that I am struggling to the extreme. Interesting enough is that I don't feel like it's the content (apart from anatomy) - it's more so the disorganization and instability of the program. Either way, I'd be lucky to end the program with a 3.5 GPA, with one C in anatomy from the first semester (3.14 GPA).

The medical school I'm currently under seems to know how difficult their SMP is, but my fear is that other schools would have expected a much higher GPA with the understanding that an SMP should "set students up for success." Now I'm afraid I've made the wrong decision and really want to be realistic when I plan to apply broadly May of this year. I currently have an interview with my school, but I do not see a chance at admittance with a 3.14 GPA from their first semester. Crazy thing is that I probably would've had a better chance of acceptance into their medical school if I hadn't started their program. Their c/o 2018 stats are: cGPA 3.52, sGPA 3.44, and MCAT 502.

Majority of my applications will go out to HBCU (Historically Black University - I am a Black female) allopathic medical schools and osteopathic medical schools. My alma mater is Howard University, so that would really be my top choice. My second choice is the DO school I’m at now (which believes a 3.5 GPA in their program is doing well). I don't think the type of medical schools I want to attend are extremely far out of my reach, but there are so many different factors at play now with this darn SMP.

GPA as calculated by AACOMAS:
(for some reason, schools seem to place emphasis on my original undergraduate GPA, rather than the GPA including additional coursework I completed afterward... yet they add GPA from high school with "baccalaureate" *rolls eyes*... read my note at the bottom for more details)

Baccalaureate 3.24
Post-Baccalaureate 3.78
Cumulative Undergraduate 3.29

Baccalaureate Science 3.38
Post-Baccalaureate Science 3.72
Cumulative Undergraduate Science 3.43

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have 44 credit hours of a 2.596 GPA from an early college high school. Unfortunately, I have to report these grades and it significantly impacts my GPA. I'm not sure if medical schools will even bother noticing this, but I make sure to call attention to it in my letter of intent/supplemental material (NOT in my personal statement). Any advice on this particular struggle would be beyond helpful! This was from when I was 14-17 years old. I am 25-26 now - yes, it is incredibly painful. I just Google'd that Texas has a "Fresh Start Program" for classes taken over 10 years ago. Does anyone know of any similar programs nationwide?

Let me know what you think and if you have any advice. Be honest, but don’t troll. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I will am officially a Texas resident now.
I suggest applying to all these MD schools with your stats:
All your Texas MD schools
TCU-UNTHSC (new school in Texas)
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Also apply broadly to DO schools and you could receive interviews at any of these schools:
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
CUSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a Texas resident? Do you know much about their medical school process? It seems like they have their own things going on with the TMDAS (I think it's called). I'll have to do my research on that, but I've always heard that Texas is very much bias towards their residents and military-affiliates. Is this true?

They have their own separate application system for most MD schools, though not all. TCOM is the only DO school in their application. Texas is strongly biased towards their own residents and if you have served in the military it will help your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
They have their own separate application system for most MD schools, though not all. TCOM is the only DO school in their application. Texas is strongly biased towards their own residents and if you have served in the military it will help your chances.
Thank you and I appreciate your response!