This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXVoicesXx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I can get my cGPA and sGPA to a 3.4-3.5 after a year/year and a half during a post bacc, would it still be worth it to do a SMP? Or should I just shine through with my ECs, and apply DO and "low tier"?

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably get into a DO school with 3.4-3.5 and a decent MCAT.

The conventional wisdom is that those with low GPAs and high MCATs should do an SMP.

Those with borderline GPAs should probably do grade remediation via a post-bacc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs are risky. You can ruin your chances with a lackluster/poor performance. And doing well is really hard to do. Your GPA isn't terrible. Don't ruin your chances. Go the post-bacc route to boost your GPA and start/reinforce an upward trend which is also looks great.

Reactions: 1 user
SMPs are risky. You can ruin your chances with a lackluster/poor performance. And doing well is really hard to do. Your GPA isn't terrible. Don't ruin your chances. Go the post-bacc route to boost your GPA and start/reinforce an upward trend which is also looks great.

His GPA is a 2.5 sGPA and 3.2 cumulative. If those don't change by graduation, they (esp the science GPA) are too low for SMPs much less post-baccs. OP, take the MCAT, figure out what your GPA is and then decide.

His GPA is a 2.5 sGPA and 3.2 cumulative. If those don't change by graduation, they (esp the science GPA) are too low for SMPs much less post-baccs. OP, take the MCAT, figure out what your GPA is and then decide.
I wouldn't take the MCAT until a year or so after I graduate anyways. I still got some prereqs I need to take, but since my GPA is so bad, I'm not touching them until I'm sure I can do well.