so what exactly *is* a post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brujeria

Reaction score
hello!! first time posting on here. I did a search but nothing really came up so sorry if this information is somewhere I haven't found.

I'm currently a rising junior but after messing around with my degree audit, I realized that if I took out all the pre-med reqs I have left, I can graduate from my university in a year. woo!! buuut I still have a lot of pre-req classes left and a not too hot science GPA (3.2) (yikes, I know, but as a liberal arts major that wasn't sure about medicine until a couple months ago, not too shabby!). There's room for growth and I'd like to improve my GPA overall, so my adviser recommended I look into post-bacc programs for "academic enhancers". I've been researching and they seem interesting but I'm still not sure if it's the right choice for me. I know I have a few options but right now I'm debating between finishing up my degree and finding a post bacc program/ taking my pre-reqs at my home school as a non-degree seeking student, OR go at a snails pace these next two years and graduate with my peers and with all my reqs done. I've found some interesting programs, like PRIME at Case Western Reserve, but I'm not sure if it's worth that giant price tag. I also want to stay away from any masters degree programs, that seems to come up a lot in my searches. Any information about other post-bacc programs or advice helps!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't quite tell if you're asking for advice for your specific situation. If you are, I recommend taking your time with the prereqs and take them over 2 years while taking easier science courses. The worst thing you could do is perform poorly in your pre-reqs and further lower your science GPA. You also would remain on campus allowing you to further any EC's that you've been up to and give you easier access to research.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep in mind that some financial aid is easier to come by if you are still an undergrad rather than doing undergrad classes after the bachelor's degree is awarded.

Reactions: 1 users